As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    When you say
    self confessed 'hyper competitive' tournament player

I think what you mean is
    bad player

Well I also found out he is a henchman in another area of the city, and apparently badgers our local henchman about doing a tournament between the groups because his players are better.

Sure, that's douchey in a way I expect game-store people to be douchey.
    Basically that group started all turning up in the first week of the slow grow, brought no models but demanded to be given games, so people broke out their collections to let them have games.

Wait... what?
    That henchman looks like he's also managed to get his way into the league without paying the entry fee, which bothers me a lot because my brother and nephew couldn't join because they couldn't afford the entry fee so close to Christmas.

Okay, are you sure this is a real thing and not just an elaborate game-store reinterpretation of like, West Side Story?

Like, the idea of a whole group of mini wargamers showing up at another store without their models and demanding to be loaned models to play games with is so absurd I can only imagine a group of these motherfuckers sitting around the table of their dank-ass game store and some Comic Book Guy lookin dude saying, "let's see what we can get these betafags* to do."

*yes I am assuming these guys are all GamerGaters.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    No, not joking. They decided to make a road trip out to the store when they knew a slow grow was starting that week, got there, and started grabbing tables and asking people to borrow miniatures. Then, not being in the league, started random games on the tables reserved for the slow grow.

It was very bizarre. It was my first ever case of 'wargamer horror story'. It wasn't bad really, but just super disruptive. That was week 1. There's been 2 more weeks now, and they turn up every week of the slow grow, taking tables reserved for the slow grow, playing random games. After week 1 they brought their models (well the other henchman still hasn't - that blind crew he used against me was made from the store henchmans collection).

If there wasn't potentially a guilder involved, I'd have probably just left the rest of the league since they've been so disruptive.

And yes, the other henchman how now done 3 weeks without bringing his own models, seems to have bypassed the entry fee (which was to buy a crew box from the store at latest 1 week before the league started to support the store and to be used throughout the league), and is somehow on the league ladder.

-Loki- on
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    Nastrond wrote: »
    I really don't get people who give up in Malifaux. Sure, you might not have a prayer of winning, but you do have a prayer of scoring one more point than you currently have, or denying them from scoring even more points.

How are you going to get better if you don't practice those two things?

As someone who is often short on time I will concede when it's clear how the next few turns are going to go. If there is still something to learn I'll hang in as long as I can. I have lost 98% of my games, so majority of the time I'm playing to learn as I know there is a fairly good chance I am not going to win.

Saturday I played a game with Asami vs Zipp. Probably one of my best games ever, and I was on track to win... then for some reason in turn 4 I got too focused on killing meaningless targets and missed out on the three points that would have maxed out my score and won me the game. Hopefully next game I'll remember to focus on VP not kills. After turn 4 it was clear I couldn't make up the points in order to secure victory, pretty obvious how the turn was going to go for both of us, so we just talked through it and agree the game ended at 9-8 in Zipp's favor.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Pretty excited for tomorrow's game as I'm trialling a Beckoner with the Lucius/Dashel/Riflemen gunline. Hopefully I can lure targets out of engagement and into the open before filling them full of lead.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    OMG it was a horror show. My first game against Ressers, Nicodem to be specific. How do you deal with the endless wave of figures!? I think the tone was set when he raised a 9 stone Hanged on turn 1 and had it kill my 9 stone Thrall (who I had considered invincible) for his first action on turn 2.

To be fair my opponent had amazing cards (more than once he double face carded a negative flip) but still. Ouch.

The Beckoner probably wasn't worth the 7 stones just for the lure.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The thing with Nicodem is that he's always got a full hand because he draws so often so his summons are pretty reliable. Remember to make sure they remember summons come in Slow. I see that forgotten a lot.

Usual advice is to play defensive, focus on schemes, and look for an opening with a beater if he overextends Sebastian or Nicodem.

-Loki- on
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The thing with Nicodem is that he's always got a full hand because he draws so often so his summons are pretty reliable. Remember to make sure they remember summons come in Slow. I see that forgotten a lot.

That's because they rarely come in slow with Nicodem, as any Undead within 6" of him is immune to it. :P

The way to beat him is definitely to play the schemes. The summoning waves are tough to handle, but they do weaken the Nico player's hand and the rest of his list doesn't have much in the way of action economy.

But Nico and the Vulture make things immune to slow :(

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited March 2017
    I need to take advantage of the fact that you see the board before list making as well. It was a really swampy board and some unimpeded would have gone down a treat.

Edit: It was also my first time facing Killjoy. He's quite the handful.

Processing the day after I can see where I can have done a lot better. I also made the mistake of picking a crew and then picking the schemes that best fit it rather than picking a crew to fit the schemes. Lessons learned.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    So further woes at our slow grow. I'm not the only one unhappy with the current state of it. The other group of players have paid up now to play in the league, but apparently even the store isn't happy. Other than the entry fee, they don't buy at the store, and even recommend people go to other places to play and buy, they're only there for the league. Personally, I told them I'm not likely to turn up for the last week, which is tomorrow, because I just don't have the enthusiasm for this league anymore, and I'm not the only one. The henchman sounds like he's in damage control mode, asking people to come in and talk about what they think is going wrong and how he can run the next even better, which is good that he's interested in taking on criticism. I'm about 50/50 on turning up.

Getting the store owner to enforce the rules would probably help. If they take booked tables but don't play the game it was booked for then kick them off. If they haven't paid up or didn't bring their figures then they don't get to play.

In a situation where the rules are being properly enforced, children like that will hopefully sulk off and let the adults play.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited March 2017
    I'm getting frustrated at the Malifaux supply chain. New figures release dates seem to slowly push back and back into infinity. I'm desperate to get an Austringer but they have been out of supply worldwide for ages with no word as to when they'll reappear. And the official page release schedule only goes up to a very inaccurate March.

Someone on the FB group I moaned in says that their FLGS ordered £600 worth of stuff and the UK supplier was able to provide them with £150 of it.

I know China and boat shipping and Kickstarters and etc but an official word or two to acknowledge what the hell is going on would be nice.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Someone on the FB group I moaned in says that their FLGS ordered £600 worth of stuff and the UK supplier was able to provide them with £150 of it.

Hm. I wonder if something like that is why my FLGS seems to be reducing their stock of Malifaux stuff over time. It sells but they're not getting many new releases in.

Last night's game was my first against Mei Feng. I love how different all the masters are.

With hindsight I now know that taking Search the Ruins (score end of game for three markers in centre of the table) was a bad idea as she kept kicking all my scheme markers into oblivion, including kicking her own henchman in the face to do it! Thankfully the drawback on her end was she also kept clearing the scrap markers away so couldn't do too much pogo jumping around.

My proxy Witchling Thrall saw action again and wrecked face. Such a good model.

Also my first time taking an Austringer (borrowed a puppet wars figure to proxy) and wow, I can see why they are so loved/hated. I rarely used the bird as the push and interact is so powerful. Very, very useful in a headhunter strategy!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Nastrond wrote: »
    I really don't get people who give up in Malifaux. Sure, you might not have a prayer of winning, but you do have a prayer of scoring one more point than you currently have, or denying them from scoring even more points.

How are you going to get better if you don't practice those two things?

I mostly agree, but somethings things go so completely sideways that it's not possible for the game to be much more than 30-90 minutes of frustration at best.

I played a Guild vs Outcasts game a few years ago (1.5 era). I had Hoffman and a bot army, he was running something like Leviticus/Jack Daw/other stuff (it was maybe 3 years ago, if not more, no way I can give an accurate battle report here).

Primary objective was to grab a token from the center of the map and return to the deployment zone. Choosing to act boldly and use my assumed speed advantage to run up, grab it, and flee to a defensive position.

I moved into place and picked it up with the Peacekeeper/Hoffman.

Opponent managed to blow said Peacekeeper right off the table in like 2 activations. I wasn't particularly experienced against this crew/leader, but at that point it was hard to see the end being anything but "next turn, Hoffman bites it, following turns; his mostly full power crew steamroll what little I have left on the board". (edit: on further thought, they might have gotten Hoffman too, or at least had him in a bad place, it was a damned nasty combination/stroke of bad luck, whatever it was)

Maybe I was a bad sport in that moment, or gave in too easily, but I gambled and lost and it wasn't easy to see the remainder being anything but waiting to be tabled or the final turn to tick by so we could clean up. It wasn't that 'oh I can't win anymore' it was 'oh, my best pieces were just ended and I'm not even sure I can do damage to one of his figures now'.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Burnage wrote: »

Hm. I wonder if something like that is why my FLGS seems to be reducing their stock of Malifaux stuff over time. It sells but they're not getting many new releases in.

This has been true for pretty much the entirety of M2E. Their plastics are great but their supply chain is terrible.

Apparently they had some sort of problem with the distribution. They say they have addressed it now.

http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/126611-wyrd-sales-going-forward/?do=findComment&comment=1016820
    That having been said, several problematic individuals and locations have been identified and .. dealt with/sorted out in various manners over the last few weeks directly with the distributors in face to face meetings and a fair amount of the issues that have plagued product getting to retailers should become less of an issue if not outright become resolved.

Words for now but I'm hopeful.

In the meantime, as one can't be purchased for love nor money, I've had to break out my pro conversion skills to get an Austringer.

617642EC-63DA-463A-9A6A-EC0B9609C616_zpsdhjq6mb9.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Easter sale! New LE model for this sale is the alternate Titantia they did 2 casts of about a year ago as a prize for a competition. It's based exactly on the red joker from the retro fate deck. No pre-releases (they're not doing that outside of Black Friday anymore). Lots and lots of LE and alt models.

2ff9b208-dcb2-4c44-a99d-adb50f589928.jpg
    WYR21001 LNE LTD | Herald of Obliteration (Tara) Nightmare $80.00
    WYR21002 LE LTD | Miss Step $25.00
    WYR21004 LE LTD | Alternate Perdita $25.00
    WYR21005 LE LTD | No Shelter Here (Pandora) Dayglow Lime $50.00
    WYR21006 LE LTD | Herald of Obliteration (Tara) Translucent Smoke $85.00
    WYR21007 LE LTD | Children of December (Rasputina) Translucent Blue $50.00
    WYR21008 LE LTD | No Shelter Here (Pandora) Translucent Lime $50.00
    WYR21010 LE LTD | Miss Terious $35.00
    WYR21012 LE LTD | War Wabbit $35.00
    WYR21013 LE LTD | Johana $25.00
    WYR21015 LNE LTD | Whiskey Golem Nightmare $60.00
    WYR21017 LE LTD | Bete Noire Translucent Red $25.00
    WYR21018 LE LTD | Francisco Ortega $25.00
    WYR21019 LE LTD | Gremlin $25.00
    WYR21020 LE LTD | Mindless Zombies Translucent Emerald $35.00
    WYR21021 LE LTD | Performer $25.00
    WYR21022 LE LTD | Miss Ery - Bad Teddy $25.00
    WYR21023 LNE LTD | Nightmare Hanging Tree $70.00

WYR21025 LE LTD | Vengeful Spirits (Kirai) Translucent Lime $55.00
    WYR21026 LE LTD | Vengeful Spirits (Kirai) Dayglow Lime $55.00
    WYR21027 LE LTD | Hide and Seek (Dreamer) Translucent Pink $60.00
    WYR21028 LE LTD | Hide and Seek (Dreamer) Dayglow Pink $60.00
    WYR21029 LNE LTD | Whiskey Golem Nightmare Translucent Root Beer $70.00
    WYR21030 LE LTD | Kaeris $25.00
    WYR21031 LE LTD | Miss Anne Thrope $25.00
    WYR21032 LNE LTD | Dark Carnival (Colette) Nightmare $90.00

WYR21034 LE LTD | Witchling Stalker Translucent Red $25.00
    WYR21036 LE LTD | Bayou Gator $25.00
    WYR21037 LE LTD | Witchling Handler $18.00
    WYR21038 LE LTD | Barbaros $25.00
    WYR21039 LNE LTD | Coryphee Nightmare $35.00
    WYR21040 LE LTD | Dr. Dufresne Alternate McMourning $25.00
    WYR21041 LE LTD | Firestarter $25.00
    WYR21044 LE LTD | Burning Revelation (Kaeris) Translucent Orange $50.00
    WYR21045 LE LTD | Dark Debts (Jacob Lynch) Translucent Purple $45.00
    WYR21051 LE LTD | Miss Fire $25.00
    WYR21047 LE LTD | Dark Debts (Jacob Lynch) Dayglow Purple $45.00
    WYR21048 LNE LTD | Dark Carnival Crew (Colette) Nightmare Translucent Red $95.00
    WYR21055 LE LTD | Guilty As Charged (Jack Daw) Translucent $55.00

In addition, for this sale, we have a brand new Special Edition Titania! This alternate Titania will be available for $25 (the render is above).

Images for models in the sale will be available on the webstore when it goes live.

Guilder store update - more models available. Plastic Miss models are 7 guilders each. Dr Alexei Sokolov is 5 Guilders (alternate Joss). Wiiden M2E card box is 10 Guilders.
    Dr. Alexei Sokolov - 5 Guilders - This model serves as an alternate Joss (Arcanists)
    All plastic Miss figures - 7 Guilders - See list below:
    Miss Ery - Alternate Teddy (Neverborn)
    Miss Step - Alternate Howard Langston (Arcanist)
    Miss Terious - Alternate Death Marshal (Guild)
    Miss Anne Thrope - Alternate Wastrel (Guild / Ten Thunders)
    Wooden M2E card box - 10 Guilders

• psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    I wanted a side game for Infinity so I picked up The Dreamer's starter box. What the fuck is wrong with Wyrd? Why is this tiny monster toy's leg a separate piece.... is this company staffed by ants?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Welcome to Malifaux! The models aren't all that ridiculous. But a lot of them are. Some are worse...

Got in a game against Lilith again. Nekima ate me out of a crew and finished off Lucius in the final round :( Still pretty close on the scoring, there would have only been one point in it if he hadn't flipped a sixth turn to pretty much do with as he wanted.

I need to stop taking the Accusation scheme. Or get better at it. One of the two. Keep trying and failing to pull it off.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I wanted a side game for Infinity so I picked up The Dreamer's starter box. What the fuck is wrong with Wyrd? Why is this tiny monster toy's leg a separate piece.... is this company staffed by ants?

The people who digitally sculpt the models and the people who build the molds live in two different countries*, and hate each other**.

* this is true
    ** this probably isn't

edited April 2017
    Got in a game against Lilith again. Nekima ate me out of a crew and finished off Lucius in the final round :( Still pretty close on the scoring, there would have only been one point in it if he hadn't flipped a sixth turn to pretty much do with as he wanted.

Dealing with Nekima is exactly how it first appears - hit her over and over again. Preferably not chipping away at her wounds in melee due to being soaked in black blood. While she's got a lot of wounds, like Nephilim in general she's not very tough. Nekima players tend to rely on soul stone use to reduce damage.

After maining Pandora and stubbornly sticking to using her core box as much as possible, I've conceded that I need to branch out. Candy is great, but at 10ss for a Pandora-lite I think there's better uses for those stones. I'll keep Kade and Teddy around for physical damage but it's going to depend on the schemes and strategy.

I've also finally bought the Primordial Magic. Overall it's a really nice package for 2ss - extra card draw, end of game scheme marker and making enemy scheme runners Insignificant is all really nice. At 5ss I just can't make the Poltergeist feel worth those stones.

-Loki- on
    Nekima scares me. I played against a Dreamer player who was running Nekima and Graves and didn't realise how far he could get her across the board.... my Mechrider died turn 1 :(

Ouch. I also started losing figures turn one, but that was my fault for deploying a Pathfinder too far forward and not knowing her wings were functional so hiding behind a building didn't help.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited April 2017
    Honestly there's worse than Nekima. Howard Langston hits like a truck, is far harder to kill, and can be reactivated by the Brass Arachnid.

I played a game against my brother using a Nephilim heavy Lilith list with Nekima, and he ran Ramos with Howard. Howard hit Nekima first, and it took over half my cache in soul stone damage reduction, plus every good card in my hand, to keep Nekima alive. It then took the combined efforts of Nekima, Lilith, a Black Blood Shaman and a Terror Tot to finish Howard off before he could be reactivated. On the plus side he was killed by Black Blood via Nekima hurting herself, which gave me another Terror Tot, but I sis lose the game for all that effort.

By that time, my brother had spawned a lot of spiders and was on his way to winning the game through schemes.

-Loki- on
    edited May 2017
    This came up on my facebook feed.

Dog Might Games skirmish miniatures case. I've been after a Malifaux case and I've been worried about plastic Malifaux miniatures catching on foam so I've been exploring magnetic trays as an option. These look amazingly beautiful - I'm sold on the Flamebirch Ruby stained case. Unfortunately they're only 3" deep at the moment, and some Malifaux miniatures like Lord Chompy Bits are taller than that. But they're considering a 4" deep option if there's enough demand.

8af6f3d001f8fa75fb95076ab4ba277a_original.JPG?w=680&fit=max&v=1493224810&auto=format&q=92&s=982f4d683f4944f035269844c3a0079c

-Loki- on
    Saw your comment about magnetizing in the painting thread and wondered if you saw the same kickstarter I saw last night :lol:

The cases look really awesome but I would want to carry Jorogumo and Shadow Emissary, which won't fit in the current versions on the kickstarter. I think I'm going to magnetize my battlefoam bag or something somehow. Shadow Emissary and Jorogumo are a pain to transport.

They said they're doing 4" deep cases but need to calculate the costs first. Not sure if that will fit the Emmisary. I won't get it unless they do the 4" as Lord Chompy Bits is 3.25".

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I've started painting a second crew, Hamelin and his rats. Then I need to base both of them, make some terrain, and force someone to play with me.

At this rate I should play my first game sometime in 2020.

I'm trying to avoid buying any more stuff until I've actually played the darn thing, but I saw the Nellie box again the other day and was sore tempted.

edited May 2017
    I find avoiding buying stuff for Malifaux is folly. I've got a lot of Gremlins and they've only seen the table twice. I've got two Neverborn crews plus a Jack Daw crew and the Nightmare Colette crew that have never seen the table.

I find that Malifaux is one of those games where is the aesthetic works for you, it's really hard to stop buying stuff for it.

@Nisi they just announced that in the pledge manager you have the option to select a 4" deep case. Guessing there were a few miffed Malifaux players that their large centerpiece models wouldn't fit. No price difference for the extra height.

-Loki- on
    edited May 2017
    Meh just checked, Emissary is about 5". Probably for the best, as pretty as it is I still have this Warmachine battlefoam bag. Though I kind of want to replace it with something Magnetized...

Also I find myself having to stop myself from buying more models on a regular basis.... despite the horde of unpainted grey plastic in my closet.

Nisi on
    Geez 5". And the game caps at height 3.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I thought there were ht4 models, or was that 1.0?

There's some markers you can generate that are Ht4 but I'm pretty sure as a stat for units it's capped at 3.

I really wish you could cheat the turn 6 flip. I swear nearly every game I play I'm winning end of 5, and then 6 comes up and it slips away from me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Decided to measure the Shadow emissary to be sure... slightly less than 4" I might back that kickstarter afterall :)

I was curious about the size of the Dog Might cases and since they put up the internal dimensions, I marked on my cutting board the dimensions of the open design to see what I could fit. I put together a Pandora list and a Lilith list.

875858_sm-.JPG

That's not bad. Two crews is good to have with you. I threw in some additional models - Lilitu, because both crews love her. A Will o the Wisp, because Pandora likes them. Another Bloodwretch, because I might not need the speed of two Terror Tots but need the punchiness of two Blootwretches.

875859_sm-.JPG

It's not the Malifaux way, but I'll usually know at least what master I want to play before I head out for friendly games, if not the majority of the crew I want to try. So I think for just going to friendly games it's a perfect size. I don't always want to be carting around my 1520XL full of stuff.

I have my Battlefoam bag for storing a crap ton of miniatures. I think the Dogmight case will just be for taking what I need to games, so the size should be perfect. Plus it looks really perty.