As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Muslim Ban] and other Trump immigration policies and actions

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The war on sanctuary cities begins

DHS releases names local jails that won't hold immigrants

The Trump administration is naming some names in its efforts to shame local jails that don't cooperate with immigration authorities.

For now it's putting the spotlight on Travis County, Texas, home of liberal Austin.

The administration has released a list of 206 cases of immigrants released from custody before federal agents could intervene. Roughly two-thirds were from Travis County.

The State /Federal showdown begins.

Keep in mind this very common situation: Undocumented person is arrested for DUII, processed into the jail. Arraigned the next morning, released on the condition that he not drink alcohol and not drive without a license, given his next court date (in my state he might qualify for a diversion program if this is his first DUII). What ICE wants to do is, as soon as he is processed into a jail, put a hold on defendant requiring the jail to hold him in custody until they come pick him up. Regardless of whether the judge at arraignment thinks it's fine for the defendant to be out on release while his state criminal case is pending. I don't think ICE pays the jail for the days (and it could be days) that the defendant sits in a local county jail, solely on the ICE hold request, until ICE comes to pick them up.

It's the feds coopting state resources to enforce their immigration priorities and local jails have been fighting back against it for a while. This will be an interesting fight in the courts in the next few years.

In my state, we have law actually stating local police cannot use local resources to assist federal immigration enforcement.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, the question was asked how Trump was going to get his Deportation Force up and running.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The war on sanctuary cities begins

DHS releases names local jails that won't hold immigrants

The Trump administration is naming some names in its efforts to shame local jails that don't cooperate with immigration authorities.

For now it's putting the spotlight on Travis County, Texas, home of liberal Austin.

The administration has released a list of 206 cases of immigrants released from custody before federal agents could intervene. Roughly two-thirds were from Travis County.

As someone in Travis County and Austin right now

good

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Whoops!

No African citizens granted visas for African trade summit in California
    An annual African trade summit in California had no African attendees this year after at least 60 people were denied visas, according to event leaders.

The African Global Economic and Development Summit, a three-day conference at the University of Southern California (USC), typically brings delegations from across Africa to meet with business leaders in the US in an effort to foster partnerships. But this year, every single African citizen who requested a visa was rejected, according to organizer Mary Flowers.

Some are now questioning whether the denials to the Los Angeles event could be tied to the anti-immigration policies of Donald Trump, who is pushing forward with a travel ban against six Muslim-majority countries despite ongoing legal challenges.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Whoops!

No African citizens granted visas for African trade summit in California
    An annual African trade summit in California had no African attendees this year after at least 60 people were denied visas, according to event leaders.

The African Global Economic and Development Summit, a three-day conference at the University of Southern California (USC), typically brings delegations from across Africa to meet with business leaders in the US in an effort to foster partnerships. But this year, every single African citizen who requested a visa was rejected, according to organizer Mary Flowers.

Some are now questioning whether the denials to the Los Angeles event could be tied to the anti-immigration policies of Donald Trump, who is pushing forward with a travel ban against six Muslim-majority countries despite ongoing legal challenges.

This has been going on for a while, apparently. State likes to mess with African nationals applying for visas, it's just accelerated recently. Keep in mind this isn't CBP dickery, these people were simply denied visas, and make report of screwy interviews.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    He was fired, by the way.

This is what I don't get about businesses.

Like, discriminating hurts your god damn business. Why would you want that???

Oh like when Chik-fil-A went out of business?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There's an extremely lucrative right wing martyr business plan. Probably not as lucrative as not being fucking racist assholes, but lucrative.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Good news! The DHS Office of the Inspector General is responsible for investigating problems within the agency, and they're starting now.

Watchdog investigating DHS for alleged misconduct by immigration officials at airports
    The official watchdog of the Department of Homeland Security is investigating alleged misconduct by immigration officials at US airports as a result of Donald Trump’s stalled travel ban on people from majority-Muslim countries.

The Office of Inspector General (OIG), the body vested with investigating alleged abuses within the DHS, has confirmed to Congress that it is carrying out an internal review of the botched implementation of Trump’s executive order that imposed a travel ban on the predominantly Muslim populations of several nations. The ban was introduced twice, and on both occasions halted at the order of federal judges.

These things do tend to take a while, but the OIG is most agencies are pretty good at being independent.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Based on what I last read, there is purportedly concern about ISIL hiding explosives in electronic devices.

I don't imagine this is a particularly effective counter-strategy though. Terrorists targeting Americans have traditionally targeted American airlines - see Lockerbie, the underwear bomber, 9/11, the shoe bomber - because they're targeting American passengers, and they almost never board from Middle Eastern/African countries, though they may originate there as travelers. As a terrorism-mitigation strategy, it's pretty ineffective, over-hardening strongpoints that aren't vulnerable anyways.

hippofant on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    From the people who think saying the words 'radical islamic terrorism' will somehow be effective, a laptop ban at least has a tangible effect.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Also, more importantly, it allows the seizing of the equipment of foreign journalists.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Based on what I last read, there is purportedly concern about ISIL hiding explosives in electronic devices.

I don't imagine this is a particularly effective counter-strategy though. Terrorists targeting Americans have traditionally targeted American airlines - see Lockerbie, the underwear bomber, 9/11, the shoe bomber - because they're targeting American passengers, and they almost never board from Middle Eastern/African countries, though they may originate there as travelers. As a terrorism-mitigation strategy, it's pretty ineffective, over-hardening strongpoints that aren't vulnerable anyways.

Also, the laptop is still on the plane. Just in the cargo hold rather than a tray table. A bomb in the cargo hold blows up a plane just the same.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Also, the laptop is still on the plane. Just in the cargo hold rather than a tray table. A bomb in the cargo hold blows up a plane just the same.

I thought about this when I first read it.

But when you're forced to check it, you're losing control of it. It can undergo more rigorous detection, and you won't know if they've found it, disarmed it, and are presently deciding which color bag to put over your head.

You could blow it in the baggage check, in theory, but then why bother to conceal it at all.

But when you're forced to check it, you're losing control of it. It can undergo more rigorous detection, and you won't know if they've found it, disarmed it, and are presently deciding which color bag to put over your head.

You could blow it in the baggage check, in theory, but then why bother to conceal it at all.

You could also connect to United in Zurich.

Assuming even terrorists will fly United if given a choice.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Someone interviewed on NPR today — a security professional, I think? — said cargo holds are much less vulnerable to in-flight explosions because cargo is likely to absorb much of the blast

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

Someone interviewed on NPR today — a security professional, I think? — said cargo holds are much less vulnerable to in-flight explosions because cargo is likely to absorb much of the blast

Basically you need a somewhat bigger bomb, I guess?

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Let's get back to immigration policy please.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Oooh, lookit! Indiana's in the news!
    She Voted For Trump. Now, Her Husband Is Being Deported
    She thought “good people” would get to stay.

An Indiana woman who voted for President Donald Trump was stunned to discover that her husband, an undocumented immigrant from Mexico, is set to be deported as soon as today.

Despite her spouse’s immigration status, Helen Beristain said she agreed with Trump’s hardline policies.

“We don’t want to have cartels here, you don’t want to have drugs in your high schools, you don’t want killers next to you,” Helen told Indiana Public Media earlier this month. “You want to feel safe when you leave your house. I truly believe that. And, this is why I voted for Mr. Trump.”

But Helen didn’t think those policies would apply to her husband, who owns a popular restaurant in Granger, Indiana.

“[Trump] did say the good people would not be deported, the good people would be checked,” Helen said.

According to the South Bend Tribune, her husband Roberto Beristain came to the United States in 1998 to visit an aunt and stayed. Then, he met his wife and the two started a family.

Roberto was detained during a trip the couple took to Niagara Falls in 2000 after they accidentally crossed the border into Canada. When U.S. immigration agents discovered he was undocumented, they ordered him to leave the country.

Since his wife was pregnant at the time, Roberto did not.

For the past 17 years, Roberto has been checking in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials once a year and has a work permit, Social Security card and driver’s license, The Tribune reported. He worked for eight years at Eddie’s Steak Shed in Granger, then bought it from his wife’s sister in January.

This year, during his annual check-in with ICE, Roberto was detained.

Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of nearby South Bend, wrote in a column for The Huffington Post that the largely conservative community has rallied to Roberto’s defense:
    “Think of the favorite themes of conservatism: hard work, small business ownership, suspicion of overbearing government, and support for family. Each one of those themes is at stake here ― and each is insulted by the prospect of a person like Roberto being ripped away from his business, friends, wife, and children, by a federal agency.”
    Roberto is now being held at a detention center in Wisconsin.

“He’s trying to hold up,” Helen told Indiana Public Media. “He said, ‘I haven’t done anything wrong, I haven’t committed a crime. The only crime I’ve done is wanting to be in the United States.’”

Helen told the news agency that Roberto is in the process of applying for a green card. Even if he is deported, however, she is hopeful he can get the green card and return to her, his business and their four children.

“Yeah, it’s going to be a long vacation in Riviera Maya,” Helen told local NBC station WNDU. “Never been there! I’ve never been to Mexico! Maybe I get to be! To get to beautiful places like go to Cancun or do fun things, right?”

So much snickering schadenfreude directed at Ms Beristain. Hahahaha, you fucking idiot.

Simultaneously so much sad, 'cause this is exactly the goddamn "an immigrant making it in America, living the American Dream" story we tell people to explain how we're as great a country as we are.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    I really can't fathom someone voting for Trump and knowing an illegal they care about. The wolf told you he was going to eat you.

I am shocked, shocked I say!, that someone would be that stupid.

Wait, no I'm not.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    People have social weak spots. My father is all about Trump because he says vaguely religious things at religious events, I can see somebody with big fears about crime and cartels believing the Bad Ones will be the target and not honest workers.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    If he's married to a citizen how does he not have a green card?

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

Our immigration system is totally fucked at a foundational level.

Because you don't just get one automatically with the honeymoon. You still have to go through INS. Having an American spouse just makes it easier than being random guy.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

Because you don't just get one automatically with the honeymoon. You still have to go through INS. Having an American spouse just makes it easier than being random guy.

Well right. I know it's not like on TV, but it sounds like he's been there for years. If a married person can't get their spouse legally in the country for years that is incredibly fucked up.

Well right. I know it's not like on TV, but it sounds like he's been there for years. If a married person can't get their spouse legally in the country for years that is incredibly fucked up.

Yes welcome to the US immigration system, and why literally millions of people circumvent it.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Pretty sure the classic "Green Card Marriage" requires having entered the country legally (like on a work visa) or you get married outside the US to US citizen and apply for legal entry afterward.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »

Pretty sure the classic "Green Card Marriage" requires having entered the country legally (like on a work visa) or you get married outside the US to US citizen and apply for legal entry afterward.

Nope still takes a bunch of time.

I have a friend that's a DHS employee, and it took well over a year to get his wife into the country.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    "I never thought the Leopard Who Eats Faces would eat my husband's face!"

Zero sympathy.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »

I have a friend that's a DHS employee, and it took well over a year to get his wife into the country.

I don't see where what I said disputes that. I have a close friend that married a Canadian immigrant when she was on a work visa and after they married she still needed her visa renewed because getting a green card takes forever.

But that's not really the point. The point is her husband likely wasn't able to apply for a green card in the first place because he entered and was living in the US illegally.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    I don't think the fine details of US Immigration qualify without being directly related to Trump.

Sleep wrote: »

I don't see where what I said disputes that. I have a close friend that married a Canadian immigrant when she was on a work visa and after they married she still needed her visa renewed because getting a green card takes forever.

But that's not really the point. The point is her husband likely wasn't able to apply for a green card in the first place because he entered and was living in the US illegally.

I may have misunderstood what you were saying a little bit.

I was more disagreeing with the idea that there's any quick way into a green card.

I thought you meant they could easily apply for, and attain, a green card after marrying a US citizen so long as they weren't already an undocumented immigrant.

I'll definitely agree with your whole second paragraph here.

Seal wrote: »
    I really can't fathom someone voting for Trump and knowing an illegal they care about. The wolf told you he was going to eat you.

It's statistically impossible for some of these Trump voters not to exist and a lot of people in this country of over 300 million people are astonishingly ignorant. Having said that it does seem a surprising amount of voters not to mention members of Congress subscribed to the "don't take him literally" philosophy.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    .But that's not really the point. The point is her husband likely wasn't able to apply for a green card in the first place because he entered and was living in the US illegally.
    One of my neighbors from where I previously lived was illegal, and the INS had a thing where if he stayed in the U.S. for 7 years and kept his nose clean he could apply for a green card. If I had to guess getting a green card was something the couple wanted to do but never really got around to doing.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Christ that article drives me up the wall.

"We don't want to have cartels here, you don't want to have drugs in your high school, you don't want killers next to you."

YOU ARE LITERALLY FUCKING MARRIED TO AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT! HOW THE FUCK DID YOU MISS THAT ALL THAT IS AN EXCUSE AN NOT FUCKING REALITY!

.But that's not really the point. The point is her husband likely wasn't able to apply for a green card in the first place because he entered and was living in the US illegally.
    One of my neighbors from where I previously lived was illegal, and the INS had a thing where if he stayed in the U.S. for 7 years and kept his nose clean he could apply for a green card. If I had to guess getting a green card was something the couple wanted to do but never really got around to doing.

No I think it's just because he was detained at the border after crossing into Canada when he went to Niagra Falls that time. You're barred from entering the country legally after that for seven years or something along those lines. Even if you could apply, as soon as you gave your US address and admitted you didn't leave the US when ordered to that would be your green card application out the window.

"We don't want to have cartels here, you don't want to have drugs in your high school, you don't want killers next to you."

YOU ARE LITERALLY FUCKING MARRIED TO AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT! HOW THE FUCK DID YOU MISS THAT ALL THAT IS AN EXCUSE AN NOT FUCKING REALITY!

Cognitive dissonance is the worst drug there is.

Oghulk wrote: »

Cognitive dissonance is the worst drug there is.

And she STILL doesn't get it!

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

this is not even remotely true. i'm not saying this to be rude to you (or anyone), but it is frustrating how little U.S. citizens even know of the immigration system.

if you have been in the U.S. unlawfully for 10 years AND are charged by DHS as being here unlawfully, you may be able to apply for something called "cancellation of removal". you have to have three things:
    - the 10 years of presence (meaning you have not left the U.S. at all. there are very few exceptions)
    - good moral character, meaning you can't have been arrested/convicted of certain crimes and must not have committed certain acts
    - your deportation/removal would result in "exceptional and extremely unusual hardship" to a spouse, parent, or child who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

exceptional and extremely unusual hardship is extremely difficult to prove. it is not that a family will be separated. it is not the economic loss of a parent breadwinner. it is dire circumstances only, such as the deportation will cause some kind of serious injury to the U.S. citizen or green card-holding relative, or that there is a serious likelihood of death to the deportee.

every single voter in the United States should bother to read up on the immigration laws, because our immigration laws are fucked. recent lawmaking has tried to make it better, but added terrible, inhuman wrinkles. and it is all founded on a history of law that includes abhorrent things like the "Chinese Exclusion Act".

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
This discussion has been closed.