As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    absolutely 100% want to avoid vnc here

the performance is garbage, even on gigabit LAN

The only other RDP-style solutions I can remember are TeamViewer and SplashTop, which are both enterprise-ish and not consumer. I think TeamViewer uses its own protocol. Not sure about SplashTop or whether either is more performant than VNC.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I thought teamviewer was basically VNC++?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    I thought teamviewer was basically VNC++?

What are you looking for? Like, tabbed, multi-session support?

I just use the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client app that's available via the App Store.

[ed] To be clear, what I mentioned does not have the tabbed, multi-session support. But it works well with RDP.

iTunesIsEvil on
    I want something that implements the RDP protocol so I can connect from my windows machine to my mac mini.

VNC is way to slow to dev on

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Ah. I missed the Apple RDP part. Ignore!

Ah. I missed the Apple RDP part. Ignore!

Yeah I probably should have said something more than "alternative to iRAPP" after the fact.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So after learning that the wife has never played a "The Sims" title, I'm tempted to pick up The Sims 2 Super Collection from the Mac App Store for us to play together.

I was thinking of connecting my Macbook Pro to my television so we don't have to huddle around a computer. What's the latency like on an Apple TV mirroring a Macbook Pro? Pretty quick or is there a few seconds of lag? I'm debating between picking up an Apple TV and picking up a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Also, does anyone know where the ambient light sensor is on the Macbook Pro? Sometimes I open the lid on my MBP but it refuses to wake. Only when I pick it up from the surface (usually to walk it over to where the charger is) does it start up. I'm thinking there's something obscuring the light sensor making the computer think it's still closed until I pick it up.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    So after learning that the wife has never played a "The Sims" title, I'm tempted to pick up The Sims 2 Super Collection from the Mac App Store for us to play together.

I was thinking of connecting my Macbook Pro to my television so we don't have to huddle around a computer. What's the latency like on an Apple TV mirroring a Macbook Pro? Pretty quick or is there a few seconds of lag? I'm debating between picking up an Apple TV and picking up a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Also, does anyone know where the ambient light sensor is on the Macbook Pro? Sometimes I open the lid on my MBP but it refuses to wake. Only when I pick it up from the surface (usually to walk it over to where the charger is) does it start up. I'm thinking there's something obscuring the light sensor making the computer think it's still closed until I pick it up.

I've never tried AirPlay mirroring for games, but it's fine for doing standard UI stuff (like using the Finder or iTunes). That being said, don't buy an Apple TV unless you also want an Apple TV.

Not sure about the light sensor (or if the light sensor even plays a role in waking up the machine), but my guess is probably near the FaceTime camera, which is dead center on the top edge of the screen.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Well then, guess I'm springing for a USB-C to HDMI adapter. I'll probably get an inexpensive one on Amazon, though to be honest Apple's isn't terribly priced for what it is. Hmm...

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Well then, guess I'm springing for a USB-C to HDMI adapter. I'll probably get an inexpensive one on Amazon, though to be honest Apple's isn't terribly priced for what it is. Hmm...

Well the Apple USB C/ thunderbolt 3 products have gone back up in price. I was shocked to see how much the LG displays are. I managed to get a referb 4K one for £180, Apple have them at over £600!

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good laptop bag/backpack? I have a 15" 2016 MBP so it needs to fit a 14x10 laptop. Ideally it'd be super padded, while I used my current laptop bag for my older 2009 15" Pro this new one seems way more fragile.

If it had that certification where you dont need to take your laptop out of its bag when going through airport security that would be awesome, but its not something I necessarily need.

Re price, while I'm willing to spend money I have a mental block about spending $200 on a bag (even typing that sounds ridiculous, but given the cost of the laptop...).

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good laptop bag/backpack? I have a 15" 2016 MBP so it needs to fit a 14x10 laptop. Ideally it'd be super padded, while I used my current laptop bag for my older 2009 15" Pro this new one seems way more fragile.

If it had that certification where you dont need to take your laptop out of its bag when going through airport security that would be awesome, but its not something I necessarily need.

Re price, while I'm willing to spend money I have a mental block about spending $200 on a bag (even typing that sounds ridiculous, but given the cost of the laptop...).

Like, what is your style? What kind of form are you more interested in?

Do you want something that looks leather/professional, black/functional, etc?

Are you fine with something that has a velcro/zippered off laptop compartment that you have to splay open when going through security as opposed to a bag that can 100% pass through as-is?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    I think I'd prefer a backpack and I dont need leather. Black/functional is fine, although since this is a work bag it should look professional too. My greatest concern is overall protection for the laptop though, especially bottom padding which is something my current backpack lacks.

I dont mind removing my laptop from my bag when I travel, especially since I almost always travel with two so chances are I'll need to take one out regardless of solution.

I was looking at a number of Booq products since they seem to be pretty well reviewed:

Booq Cobra - it comes in black too which I think I'd prefer since I think the grey would get dirty much too quickly. Not thrilled about spending $200 on a backpack though. Seems a bit crazy to me. Then again, I've been using my current backpack for 12+ years and its going just fine (but can only take a 13" laptop in the laptop slot).
    Booq Boa - I like it, although I'm not a huge fan of the white stripe
    Booq Boa Squeeze - smaller version of the Boa and doesnt have the white stripe. I'm on the tall side (6'4) so a smaller bag is both unnecessary (although more convenient for traveling) and may look weird, and I'm a little concerned as to whether I'd be able to fit both my laptops in the smaller bag.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    If you're already up in the $200 range for a laptop bag, you can checkout http://www.tombihn.com They have great bags (backpack/messenger/brief case) for laptops.

nusu wrote: »
    If you're already up in the $200 range for a laptop bag, you can checkout http://www.tombihn.com They have great bags (backpack/messenger/brief case) for laptops.

Yeah, I love Tom Bihn. And their larger bags keep your computer in a nice sleeve. Not only is that protection for your computer while it's in your backpack, you can also park your backpack in the hotel room once you arrive and just carry your computer in the sleeve.

The sleeves also don't attract the notice of the TSA. Instead of putting my bare MBP on the x-ray conveyor belt, I leave it in the sleeve and take that out of my main bag.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    nusu wrote: »

Yeah, I love Tom Bihn. And their larger bags keep your computer in a nice sleeve. Not only is that protection for your computer while it's in your backpack, you can also park your backpack in the hotel room once you arrive and just carry your computer in the sleeve.

The sleeves also don't attract the notice of the TSA. Instead of putting my bare MBP on the x-ray conveyor belt, I leave it in the sleeve and take that out of my main bag.

I forgot about their lifetime warranty too. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a bag, getting it fixed or replaced when it has issues is a compelling bonus.

Lifetime warranty is super nice, but $200 is like top top top of my budget since mentally it makes me gag and Tom Bihn's laptop backpacks are $190+ (with the Synapse being a flat $200, and an extra $40 for the laptop sleeve).

I think I'm gunna grab the Boa off Amazon and then see how I feel about it while keeping my eye on the Synapse (but ugh the price).

Thanks guys!

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So... How bout dem iMacs?

While speculatively pricing and configuring, does anyone happen to know what sort of connection the "faster" SSDs are using? I'm trying to work out if 600 for a 1T is "absurdly ruinous" or merely "slightly overpriced".

Edit: Given that it'll theoretically run a Vive, I imagine the top-end GPU is "fine".

dporowski on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    It's an m2 drive I believe. Apple usually has really good IO speeds. In fact, as expensive as they are, everything is usually top notch in a Mac. Except gaming :(

As rididcolus as it is there is part of me that wants to drop 5k on this absurd iMac. Thing would be a absolute beast for software development. Again, not expecting much from the gaming side.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Also Metal 2?

Just give us Vulkan and modern OpenGL.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    It's an m2 drive I believe. Apple usually has really good IO speeds. In fact, as expensive as they are, everything is usually top notch in a Mac. Except gaming :(

As rididcolus as it is there is part of me that wants to drop 5k on this absurd iMac. Thing would be a absolute beast for software development. Again, not expecting much from the gaming side.

Oh, I'm just looking at the bog-standard iMac, not the Pro. They want 600 for a 1T SSD, which is, if it's something like a generic 850Pro, "fucking ruinous what the hell", but if it's one of those PCI-E M2 thingies, it's only "oh, slightly more expensive" by like 100 bucks, 140 bucks or something.

I think the one I was looking at worked out to 3k all in, that's for the big one with the 580 Pro GPU. Which uh, yeah still, but considering I've been using this one since 2010 and it's only now kind of intolerable, works out to a good $/year calculation I think.

dporowski wrote: »

Oh, I'm just looking at the bog-standard iMac, not the Pro. They want 600 for a 1T SSD, which is, if it's something like a generic 850Pro, "fucking ruinous what the hell", but if it's one of those PCI-E M2 thingies, it's only "oh, slightly more expensive" by like 100 bucks, 140 bucks or something.

I think the one I was looking at worked out to 3k all in, that's for the big one with the 580 Pro GPU. Which uh, yeah still, but considering I've been using this one since 2010 and it's only now kind of intolerable, works out to a good $/year calculation I think.

It's hard to know for sure, but I'd assume that it's an m.2 NVMe drive given that it's a Kaby Lake machine. As Uselesswarrior says, Apple usually does pretty good on I/O performance.

Also Metal 2?

Just give us Vulkan and modern OpenGL.

I don't think that anyone is fighting a 3D API war this generation. Vulkan is, of course, the direct descendant of AMD's Mantle, and Metal and DX12 were both heavily inspired by Mantle. They're all close enough to each other that the middleware developers (Unity and Epic, mainly) aren't really whining that much about having to support three different APIs.

I agree that it'd be cool if Vulkan took off just because it's nominally more open than the other two, but AMD and the Khronos Group took too long to get their shit together. In the time between AMD abandoning Mantle and Khronos releasing Vulkan 1.0, Apple and MS were both able to build their own high performance Mantle-like APIs.

It's hard to know for sure, but I'd assume that it's an m.2 NVMe drive given that it's a Kaby Lake machine. As Uselesswarrior says, Apple usually does pretty good on I/O performance.

In that case it's not TOO stupid of an upcharge, if any. A 960 Pro M.2 at 1T is just under 600 on Amazon, and I consider Samsung to really be a benchmark in terms of memory type things.

Christ this looks like a lot of money...

In that case it's not TOO stupid of an upcharge, if any. A 960 Pro M.2 at 1T is just under 600 on Amazon, and I consider Samsung to really be a benchmark in terms of memory type things.

Christ this looks like a lot of money...

Yeah, it's still kind of exorbitant, though. I mean... if you get the SSD, you're not getting the fusion drive. That sort of implies that they're making more than the SSD's MSRP from the upsell.

Also, if you want confirmation that your $600 is getting you a genuine NVMe stick of gum, you can probably just watch Bare Feats over the next week or so. I'm sure that assorted benchmarks on today's new hardware will start showing up there soon.

edited June 2017
    As someone who works on a 27" inch iMac everyday, that retina monitor is crazy good.

Price out a 5k monitor by itself and the iMac basically becomes a steal.

Uselesswarrior on
    As someone who works on a 27" inch iMac everyday, that retina monitor is crazy good.

Price out a 5k monitor by itself and the iMac basically becomes a steal.

Yeah, the total iMac package isn't a bad value. The display, standalone, is $1200, I think. But... some of the iMac BTO upsells are overpriced.

So an untutored comparison of numbers and suchlike leads me to believe the 580 Pro is a slightly shittier RX 580, which I would consider "pretty okay" for my needs. I have a giant TV for the fancy stuff, after all. (I think it's literally that, too. Probably the wafers that didn't make the grade.)

Anyone used the Magic Trackpad 2? Mouse is nice enough, but I almost always have a Razer plugged in when I need a proper mouse, and desktop force touch, man...

So an untutored comparison of numbers and suchlike leads me to believe the 580 Pro is a slightly shittier RX 580, which I would consider "pretty okay" for my needs. I have a giant TV for the fancy stuff, after all. (I think it's literally that, too. Probably the wafers that didn't make the grade.)

The 580 Pro could be the rejects from binning, or they could be underclocked to account the fact that it won't get as much cooling inside an iMac.
    Anyone used the Magic Trackpad 2? Mouse is nice enough, but I almost always have a Razer plugged in when I need a proper mouse, and desktop force touch, man...

It's nice. Very similar to the trackpad on the latest generation of MacBook Pros. It has no moving parts, just haptic feedback. It's actually really disconnecting to press it while it's turned off. It will amaze your friends.

The 580 Pro could be the rejects from binning, or they could be underclocked to account the fact that it won't get as much cooling inside an iMac.

It's nice. Very similar to the trackpad on the latest generation of MacBook Pros. It has no moving parts, just haptic feedback. It's actually really disconnecting to press it while it's turned off. It will amaze your friends.

Some of the other uh... Number things were lower in a way that didn't look clock-related. Pathways or something? Bandwidth? Regrettably, I know crap about video cards.

Good to hear about that trackpad; my new work machine is a new MBP, and it's absolutely wonderful, so if it's rather like that that'll sell me on it. Someone needs to buy this damn thing and tear it down/benchmark it already...

Some of the other uh... Number things were lower in a way that didn't look clock-related. Pathways or something? Bandwidth? Regrettably, I know crap about video cards.

Looks like the Pro is the RX sans about 20% memory throughput and 10% computational performance. There's a thread about it on Ars. There's no real consensus as to exactly why its less performant than the RX, but given that it's also the discrete GPU in the new high-end Kabylake MacBook Pro, it's probably just detuned a little to survive with less cooling. Apple has a long history of throttling back hot third-party silicon to not melt their tight enclosures.

Also keep in mind that Apple announced eGPU support starting with High Sierra. If you're really really worried about GPU performance going forward, you'll be able to buy a TB3 PCIe enclosure and plop whatever video card you want into it. Nvidia ships Mac drivers now, so by the end of the year, any Mac with TB3 will be able to run either a 1080Ti or a Vega or any other recent vintage mainstream GPU in a Sonnet box.

On the subject of the "Apple Tax", PC Gamer specced out what it would take to build your own iMac Pro: Apple's new iMac Pro costs $5000, but is it overpriced?

Even though they picked a CPU that's both wrong and much cheaper than what Apple will probably ship, their build is only a few hundred dollars cheaper than the iMac Pro. So... the "Apple Tax" is mythical at the time of product launch. In their particular market niches, Macs are competitively priced vs. equivalent machines from their competitors, even DIY rigs.

Apple's problem is that they don't rev their product lines often enough. So the Apple Tax is really a function of time. If you're not paying attention to their product launch dates, then you could end up paying for full price for a computer that's a couple of years behind in tech. An iMac Pro at $5K will be a good deal in December, 2017. In December, 2019? Not so much.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, didn't they say in the keynote that they priced the baseline iMac Pro in terms of raw spec-equivalent components to $7k or something? Not sure how long that differential will last but it's pretty goood to start with.
    … I don't suppose anyone saw a citation or link to the exact spec they priced with sources or something?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    On the subject of the "Apple Tax", PC Gamer specced out what it would take to build your own iMac Pro: Apple's new iMac Pro costs $5000, but is it overpriced?

Even though they picked a CPU that's both wrong and much cheaper than what Apple will probably ship, their build is only a few hundred dollars cheaper than the iMac Pro. So... the "Apple Tax" is mythical at the time of product launch. In their particular market niches, Macs are competitively priced vs. equivalent machines from their competitors, even DIY rigs.

Apple's problem is that they don't rev their product lines often enough. So the Apple Tax is really a function of time. If you're not paying attention to their product launch dates, then you could end up paying for full price for a computer that's a couple of years behind in tech. An iMac Pro at $5K will be a good deal in December, 2017. In December, 2019? Not so much.

The big part of that at the moment is that the only good 5K monitor is $1300. Once that's like $700 in a year (and you use a $200 mobo instead of their $650 pick, I assume for the 10G ethernet port), you're down under $4k.

Also LOL at putting Win7 on a new machine in 2017. Come the fuck on, PC Gamer.

That CPU is probably going to be worse then what the Pro ends up with, though that is just speculation at this point.

Whenever people pointed out how expensive the Mac Pro was I'd point to Xeon prices, those things are crazy expensive. That may change in a post Ryzen world.

The thing is, if you need a workstation computer in a small package, that is not overpriced, but if don't meet that narrow user base then it's probably not the best way to spend your money. If you care about PC gaming, as I imagine most people on this forum do, Macs are not a good price for performance deal.

That CPU is probably going to be worse then what the Pro ends up with, though that is just speculation at this point.

Whenever people pointed out how expensive the Mac Pro was I'd point to Xeon prices, those things are crazy expensive. That may change in a post Ryzen world.

The thing is, if you need a workstation computer in a small package, that is not overpriced, but if don't meet that narrow user base then it's probably not the best way to spend your money. If you care about PC gaming, as I imagine most people on this forum do, Macs are not a good price for performance deal.

Yeah, the general consensus seems to be that iMac Pro will be based on a new Xeon line based on Skylake-X CPU/X299 chipset combination. It's hard to imagine that the SKL-X equivalent Xeon will be priced less than the consumer versions of SKL-X, so even the lowest end CPU offered in the iMac Pro will probably be at least a $1K part.

I really wish Apple weren't so dependent on Intel to provide iPhone modems (because they're now committed to murdering QualComm). If they weren't, I think it'd be possible that they'd switch to AMD for at least some models. As it is now, they're in no position to offend Intel.

That there was an amount of money that made my eyes physically water, but ooh I can't wait.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Well, I joined the iCult this afternoon after deciding that my T520 Thinkpad was too bog to carry with me on business trips. It was going to cost too much to pick up a Lenovo ultrabook, and I'm always willing to mess about with something new, so I picked myself up a bog-standard MacBook Air.

Holy Christ, this thing is sweet. I mean, I already held an appreciation for the aesthetics of Apple products, but I had no idea that they worked so nicely as well.

I installed Steam just to see is Stellaris would run on MacOS, and discovered that over half of my library will run on this thing. Not necessary well, mind you, but they'll run. I had no idea that people were porting so many games over the this ecosystem.

I wish I didn't have to wait until November to upgrade my phone...

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Yeah, they're nice. And honestly, it'll last you years; I've still got a 2010 MBP that's doing just fine. Slow by comparison, of course, but works fine for "mobile web thingies" or whatever.