As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Maybe pure evil isn't really that bad.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Aku is a sentient fragment of primeval pure evil.

He's definitely evil.

He just happens to have a rather whimsical personality while he enjoys being evil.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I did not realize Greg Baldwin voiced Frank Fontaine in the first Bioshock.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Aku is a sentient fragment of primeval pure evil.

He's definitely evil.

He just happens to have a rather whimsical personality while he enjoys being evil.

Actually yeah, now that you mention it, pre-reformed Discord from Friendship is Magic is the best parallel to Aku i can think of.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Possibly we just don't see Aku doing any evil because he doesn't even need to. The world has been so badly beaten into submission, every would-be hero so utterly destroyed while accomplishing nothing, that there simply isn't resistance to compel Aku into action. Like, he doesn't have to be proactively cruel to have a deleterious effect on the world; his very existence means everyone in the universe willfully limits themselves to the most meager and vulgar existence they can survive on to avoid drawing his attention, or pays their way up via tribute. That's evil enough for me.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Captain Underpants, I guess?

https://youtu.be/zs2SrqLum1M

At least Dreamworks is learning how to design with actual style.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    It feels like it's a clean 15 years too late for a Captain Underpants movie.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    It feels like it's a clean 15 years too late for a Captain Underpants movie.

Just in time for a grim dark re-imagining though.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    It's a shame to hear that no child has been born since 2000. I guess they missed the boat with kids movies.
    :P

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Dealing with his nemesis, Skid Mark.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Also Dreamworks has reached the level of stunt casting that they thought it was a good idea to cast an unaltered Kevin Hart as a third-grader.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Samurai Jack just keeps getting better and better.

Amazing episode this week.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Samurai Jack just keeps getting better and better.

Amazing episode this week.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I thought it was the weakest of the three. Parts were a bit on the nose, to put it lightly, and I still don't really get the magical wolf doctor thing.

Fight was still awesome though.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Gawd that was brutal.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Now you see it. Now you can't *unsee* it.

frycwZ8.png

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    One detail about this season that kinda nags at me
    So, killing that woman last week was the very first time he's killed a person?

Like, really?

The very very first time?

Are you really sure about that, guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBYXv97FuAY

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Now you see it. Now you can't *unsee* it.

frycwZ8.png

I noticed this immediately, and I didn't even watch much of Symbionic Titan.

• Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Gawd that was brutal.

Jack is back

Current theories are running around that:
    Ashi and Jack will be teaming up/ traveling together in the next episode

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So, uh... the very, very last thing to happen in this latest Samurai Jack had me laughing out loud for quite some time. Am I the only one? Was that supposed to be a comedy beat?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aahah, just saw that Amazing World Of Gumball where they replace the voice actors as part of the plot. Amazing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    So, uh... the very, very last thing to happen in this latest Samurai Jack had me laughing out loud for quite some time. Am I the only one? Was that supposed to be a comedy beat?
    His choices lead him to where he was. Same as their choices.

• Options
    Prediction on where Samurai Jack is going:
    The last Daughter of Aku didn't die, they start hanging around together and Jack teaches her how to live.

I mean, I think there's a reason we saw both Jack's upbringing and a note of the daughters' nutty upbringing where they were baffled by deer showing affection. Plus how they marked their sister's death with a sparse "death is failure."

• Options
    The next episode preview didn't show Ashi at all, though that is fairly meaningless.
    I agree she definitely lived given that she went down the same way Jack did.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Prediction on where Samurai Jack is going:
    The last Daughter of Aku didn't die, they start hanging around together and Jack teaches her how to live.

I mean, I think there's a reason we saw both Jack's upbringing and a note of the daughters' nutty upbringing where they were baffled by deer showing affection. Plus how they marked their sister's death with a sparse "death is failure."

I would be absolutely amazed if that is not the path the show takes.

Samurai Jack does a lot of things really well, but averting or avoiding tropes isn't really one of them.
    It more tackles them head on, in a beautifully animated sequence of sparse, almost impressionistic landscapes and sudden, shocking violence.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    On one hand,
    I'm sad he was able to dispatch the other six so easily. It kind of negated him getting completely destroyed last episode. I was looking forward to the struggle of the his fight moving forward.

On the other hand,
    the battle was stylistic as all hell. Incredibly awesome. Love the white out for the snow and then the shapes disappearing behind "trees". Really great animation. The lesson from his father allowing him to kill humans because of their own choices was pretty strong. I also agree that Jack and the last Aku girl will probably team up.

While I think wolf doctor was cool, it also didn't make much sense to me either. Considering the last episode used wolves for symbolism, I wasn't sure if the wolf was real or if it was another symbol.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    On one hand,
    I'm sad he was able to dispatch the other six so easily. It kind of negated him getting completely destroyed last episode. I was looking forward to the struggle of the his fight moving forward.

On the other hand,
    the battle was stylistic as all hell. Incredibly awesome. Love the whiteout for the snow and then the shapes disappearing behind "trees". Really great animation. The lesson from his father allowing him to kill humans because of their own choices was pretty strong. I also agree that Jack and the last Aku girl will probably team up.

While I think wolf doctor was cool, it also didn't make much sense to me either. Considering the last episode used wolves for symbolism, I wasn't sure if the wolf was real or if it was another symbol.

To the first hand
    It's hard to tell with their masks (probably the purpose of the masks) but after having seen one of their own fall in battle, is it possible there was some hesitation there? Something that would have given Jack a slight edge?
    I'm sure they could have drawn Jack vs. The Daughters out for as long as they wanted too, but they've only got so many episodes to work with here. We can't go all DBZ with single fights that last an entire season if we want a conclusion to the story. I think I'd have preferred this episode to be more of a montage, where Jack is taking out the Daughters over an extended period of time (show seasons changing, Jack dressing in furs or leaves, patching his wounds, etc...) as opposed to one straight up snowy murder fest. But I take what I can get.

To the second hand
    Hell yeah it was stylish. Close second for favorite fight for me.
    My favorite?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkxsQnNujI

Wolf Doctor: it could still be a metaphor. I think it could represent Jack's feral side. It wasn't the thinking, planning Jack that saved his life, it was the instinctual Jack that crawled into the cave while the thinking Jack just wanted to give up the fight and die.
    But, once he was back up and running, Thinking Jack took over and sent the feral side back to where it came from. Might be a stretch though. I think I like it better than wounded wolf showed up and cured and fed Jack before wandering off.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    On one hand,

On the other hand,
    the battle was stylistic as all hell. Incredibly awesome. Love the whiteout for the snow and then the shapes disappearing behind "trees". Really great animation. The lesson from his father allowing him to kill humans because of their own choices was pretty strong. I also agree that Jack and the last Aku girl will probably team up.

To the first hand
    It's hard to tell with their masks (probably the purpose of the masks) but after having seen one of their own fall in battle, is it possible there was some hesitation there? Something that would have given Jack a slight edge?
    I'm sure they could have drawn Jack vs. The Daughters out for as long as they wanted too, but they've only got so many episodes to work with here. We can't go all DBZ with single fights that last an entire season if we want a conclusion to the story. I think I'd have preferred this episode to be more of a montage, where Jack is taking out the Daughters over an extended period of time (show seasons changing, Jack dressing in furs or leaves, patching his wounds, etc...) as opposed to one straight up snowy murder fest. But I take what I can get.

To the second hand
    Hell yeah it was stylish. Close second for favorite fight for me.
    My favorite?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkxsQnNujI

Wolf Doctor: it could still be a metaphor. I think it could represent Jack's feral side. It wasn't the thinking, planning Jack that saved his life, it was the instinctual Jack that crawled into the cave while the thinking Jack just wanted to give up the fight and die.
    But, once he was back up and running, Thinking Jack took over and sent the feral side back to where it came from. Might be a stretch though. I think I like it better than wounded wolf showed up and cured and fed Jack before wandering off.
    I did think it was very cute how the daughters reacted to the deer. Especially about them interpreting the buck's antlers as a sign of Aku. Little sorry to see them all go so soon after.

Also yes, the Jack vs. the Ninja sequence is best sequence.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    For the latest Samurai Jack
    so glad they have Jack get over this whole "first time killing a human" thing in one episode, and then he proceeds to get his game back on point and kick some total ass.

Also, I continue to be impressed with how much the artists stepped up their game with the new season. The visuals from the original show were always great, but they now hit "stunning" on a pretty regular basis.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    The thing I find interesting about the Samurai Jack episode
    He talks about their choices leading them there... but they made no choices in life. They were not given any option in their upbringing, it was "kill Jack or die". I'm curious if that's something that will be brought up later, that the rationale that Jack used to accept his killing of them was, in fact, bunk.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Garthor wrote: »
    He talks about their choices leading them there... but they made no choices in life. They were not given any option in their upbringing, it was "kill Jack or die". I'm curious if that's something that will be brought up later, that the rationale that Jack used to accept his killing of them was, in fact, bunk.
    But it's not bunk at all. They've done nothing but try to kill him, and he's just been trying to get away. They track him down and he tells them "go away or I will kill you".

Brainwashed or not, he gave them a clear, understandable option to just leave him alone. They chose to try and kill him, at which point he justifiably chooses not to die.

He's not happy about it, but hopefully the matter is settled and we won't be delving into some over-wrought silliness about the ethics of killing to protect yourself from people hell-bent on killing you because that's how they were brought up, and are right there in-person trying to kill you in a bunch of ways.
    As for upbringing
    I'd say it's a pretty sure bet that we're going to see that last assassin survive, Jack is going to help her, and she's going to end up turning on Aku. The parallels between Jack and her are pretty obvious: both were trained from childhood to fight, with the differences being that she did it all in a sealed-off enclave with no choice in the matter and he traveled the world to learn ways to try and free his people on a quest of his own choosing.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Symbionic Titan is dead in the ground but Jack came back and I want to believe.

• Options
    It also happened to Young Justice, so...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    But it's not bunk at all. They've done nothing but try to kill him, and he's just been trying to get away. They track him down and he tells them "go away or I will kill you".

Brainwashed or not, he gave them a clear, understandable option to just leave him alone. They chose to try and kill him, at which point he justifiably chooses not to die.

He's not happy about it, but hopefully the matter is settled and we won't be delving into some over-wrought silliness about the ethics of killing to protect yourself from people hell-bent on killing you because that's how they were brought up, and are right there in-person trying to kill you in a bunch of ways.
    As for upbringing
    I'd say it's a pretty sure bet that we're going to see that last assassin survive, Jack is going to help her, and she's going to end up turning on Aku. The parallels between Jack and her are pretty obvious: both were trained from childhood to fight, with the differences being that she did it all in a sealed-off enclave with no choice in the matter and he traveled the world to learn ways to try and free his people on a quest of his own choosing.
    i'm gonna follow Ninja Snarl on this one.

Dead is dead, and the only thing that matters in a life or death fight is that you are still alive and ok at the end of it.

We've been caught up in this notion of 'one thing good, one thing bad' for way way too long. Two outcomes that are bad can happen the same as two good things can happen. The sisters were trained from birth to be assassin kill machines, they never learned any better or had the opportunity to learn anything different. Yea, pretty bad. They then go and try to kill Jack, he kills them in defense of his life. Yea, unfortunate that it had to happen. Its a bad deal all around.

The fact that Jack is torn up about it shows that he does have a conscience. He does have a moral code. That doesn't mean he should fall upon his own sword or die on his moral high ground. The best anyone can do is learn to deal/make peace with what they've done and move forward.

You can't beat Aku or help the world if you are dead.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options

Symbionic Titan isn't quite dead. You want to talk dead, you look at Megas XLR. Companies can do a total writeoff of the costs of production for a show, as long as they never ever use that property ever again (or have to pay the taxes they wrote off). Symbionic Titan reappeared briefly on Toonami, meaning Cartoon Network didn't kill it quite the same way they killed Megas.

• Options

Symbionic Titan isn't quite dead. You want to talk dead, you look at Megas XLR. Companies can do a total writeoff of the costs of production for a show, as long as they never ever use that property ever again (or have to pay the taxes they wrote off). Symbionic Titan reappeared briefly on Toonami, meaning Cartoon Network didn't kill it quite the same way they killed Megas.

Megas wasn't that dead. The creator of the show did the script for Fusionfall (crazy MMO mashup thing) and snuck Megas stuff in there.

• Options
    More Gravity Falls stuff!

https://youtu.be/2YLfwZBvMGk

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The Wreck-It Ralph sequel has a title, plus more info

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/03/28/wreck-it-ralph-2-now-has-a-title/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Cartoon Network's mystery for April Fools turned out to just be Googly Eyes on all of the main characters of the shows (so all five of the Titans, all three of the We Bare Bears, but none of the supporting cast), and the level of detail goes down to the promo commercials and previews.

I wonder what Adult Swim will do tonight. Their April Fool's pranks have a good name, but the ones on Saturdays have always been something special, replacing the anime block or overwriting it in many cases. In, i think, 2004 they added a Fart track to everything, which actually pissed a lot of people off because it overwrote serious shows like Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell with farts at every dialogue pause. 2007, i think, they replaced the entire lineup with the anime spoof series Perfect Hair Forever. 2012, famously, was the gag return of Toonami that then turned out not to be a gag. So what will this year bring?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Teen Titans: Judas Contract clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CapZkIVY27o

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Cartoon Network's mystery for April Fools turned out to just be Googly Eyes on all of the main characters of the shows (so all five of the Titans, all three of the We Bare Bears, but none of the supporting cast), and the level of detail goes down to the promo commercials and previews.

I wonder what Adult Swim will do tonight. Their April Fool's pranks have a good name, but the ones on Saturdays have always been something special, replacing the anime block or overwriting it in many cases. In, i think, 2004 they added a Fart track to everything, which actually pissed a lot of people off because it overwrote serious shows like Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell with farts at every dialogue pause. 2007, i think, they replaced the entire lineup with the anime spoof series Perfect Hair Forever. 2012, famously, was the gag return of Toonami that then turned out not to be a gag. So what will this year bring?

Instead of anime they'll play

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KnUi3t2JI