As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft Remastered] Now Live!

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The using the same engine approach reminds me of the Tony Hawk series. That series was never able to move past the original code. Even when they were on the PS3 they were still using physics code from the PS1 version, it's part of the reason the series never really kept pace with graphical trends. Once they moved to Unreal (albeit with a different team) it was a total disaster because all the quirks of the original game engine is what made those games enjoyable.

Capcom also took a similar approach when they made that Street Fighter 2 remaster.

It's niche, but essentially a remake is not going to cut it, if you want updated mechanics and graphics, SC2 is the product for you. But BW needs to be a precise remake otherwise what's the point?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Yeah I don't totally agree, and beyond that you can turn it off. I'd be fine with them adding the option.

Just today I was sure maru lost a game he ended up winning because I didn't know he was making a liberator til it was on screen so I completely get it, I just think there's room for having the info as well. And also that the casters should avoid mentioning supply but that's its own thing

Well, turning it off isn't really an option when you're watching a broadcast.

I meant the producer of course

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I wonder what the UI and match making around the game will be like. I am also hoping they allow custom and grid keys. Grid keys are so much easier to learn then trying to memorize each hot key for all units.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The using the same engine approach reminds me of the Tony Hawk series. That series was never able to move past the original code. Even when they were on the PS3 they were still using physics code from the PS1 version, it's part of the reason the series never really kept pace with graphical trends. Once they moved to Unreal (albeit with a different team) it was a total disaster because all the quirks of the original game engine is what made those games enjoyable.

Capcom also took a similar approach when they made that Street Fighter 2 remaster.

It's niche, but essentially a remake is not going to cut it, if you want updated mechanics and graphics, SC2 is the product for you. But BW needs to be a precise remake otherwise what's the point?

Yeah, Street Fighter 2 tournaments still use old Japanese arcade cabinets because it's the only true way to play. It's never been perfectly ported largely because there are so many bugs that are part of the gameplay.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    1v1LTnr10

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm in a smaller niche than I had previously assumed; StarCraft is all about the campaign for me, I never touch the multiplayer and being beholden to all the mechanical quirks that make Brood War popular to this day isn't something I'd ever consider when you say "StarCraft Remastered"

I do recognise this is a very cool product for people who still play the original competitively. It's just, to an outsider, this feels like if Nintendo's next Smash Bros project was a remaster of Melee rather than an expansion of Smash U, y'know?

Oh brilliant
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Maybe I'm in a smaller niche than I had previously assumed; StarCraft is all about the campaign for me, I never touch the multiplayer and being beholden to all the mechanical quirks that make Brood War popular to this day isn't something I'd ever consider when you say "StarCraft Remastered"

I do recognise this is a very cool product for people who still play the original competitively. It's just, to an outsider, this feels like if Nintendo's next Smash Bros project was a remaster of Melee rather than an expansion of Smash U, y'know?

I think you're definitely in a smaller niche.

I don't think that doing it the way they're doing it loses them too many people from your niche, but moving too far into remake territory definitely would lose them people from the larger niche.

Dhalphir on
    I don't play this conpetitively anymore.

I'm all about the nostalgia.

Plus, the characters were all arguably a lot more bad ass than sc2.

Literally no one as legit as Fenix has ever risen.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Can't say I ever really got hooked by starcraft, but I'm still excited for this because it means things like Diablo II are likely to get a similar treatment, and I would be all over that at a resolution better than 800x600

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    I'd understand people's complaints about the engine and such more if this was a remake. However, as a remaster, they are going about this 100% the correct way. They are modernizing a game that is really dated but has phenomenal balance by keeping the things that maintain the balance.

I am totally pumped for this. Mostly impressed by the ability for BW players to play with remaster players without a hitch. It is such a simple and elegant solution to keep the code and the aspect ratio the same.

Gotta say, this scored a lot of points for Blizzard in my book.

Let's hope they do Diablo 2 next and maybe give it a fun content patch.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I give them props that this new remastered version will be 100% compatible with playing against people using the standard version since they're the same code base. That's genius and awesome.

I'm also in the camp of leave it on it's own engine with the quirks and feel of the original, if people want to play SC2 they can play SC2.

...now where's my WC3 and D2 remakes?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Also, you can already play BW in SC2s engine, the game's powerful custom maps have already allowed someone to recreate what I believe is the entire original campaign.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Also, you can already play BW in SC2s engine, the game's powerful custom maps have already allowed someone to recreate what I believe is the entire original campaign.

...wow. Of course that's happened already, why wouldn't it. I am gonna look into this immediately, not played the original in some years and this'll be the way I wanna play it ;P

Oh brilliant

...wow. Of course that's happened already, why wouldn't it. I am gonna look into this immediately, not played the original in some years and this'll be the way I wanna play it ;P

Link here.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I give them props that this new remastered version will be 100% compatible with playing against people using the standard version since they're the same code base. That's genius and awesome.

I'm also in the camp of leave it on it's own engine with the quirks and feel of the original, if people want to play SC2 they can play SC2.

...now where's my WC3 and D2 remakes?

Not to derail the thread but for Warcraft 3 there have been several posts on the Reddit indicating that patch 1.28 is supposed to have shown up last week. That being said there were also posts stating that per the classic team the remaster is the team's primary focus until some point in the future when they would shift gears.

Given it is the 28th I doubt 1.28 will show up first quarter as promised however when it does it is supposed to bring with it the ability to push more patches faster due to a number of behind the scenes changes. Improved anti-cheat mechanisms, removal of the enforced delay, b.net 2.0 integration are really the major things I want out of an update. The patching is a close 4th since that would allow for easier balance patches and map rotations. Undead has been slowly clawing out of the basement due to players like happy, Lucifer, and 120 so maybe balance patches aren't 100% necessary just yet.

Given that WC3 cracked the top 10 ranking in Korea last week it'd be great to get some extra support. I keep meaning to do an OP for warcraft 3 but was waiting for a major patch to drop.

This has been your emergency Warcraft 3 update. Back to your regularly scheduled orcs in space thread.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Wasnt there also someone working on making the whole wc3 campaign in sc2 as well?

Either way, I cant wait to play some sc1 again. Making it free and having it work with modern bnet will be nice. Since it will run on a toaster, it will be open to a lot of people.

Oh man.... medics will be back.

Medics that don't heal robots!!!!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    Pretty excited for this as......*gulp*...I've never beaten the original or Brood War campaign :bigfrown:

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Kami wrote: »
    Pretty excited for this as......*gulp*...I've never beaten the original or Brood War campaign :bigfrown:

Bake him away, toys!

Wait...

Wha....

How....?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I never beat it without cheat codes (although I haven't played since I got into SC2 and learned how to kinda sorta maybe play starcraft). Shit's fucking hard.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    The last mission in brood war was pretty crazy from what I remember. I think I had to try that one 10 or more times and it took me hours to clear the map. I only played wings of liberty but I don't remember anything being that hard.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Maybe it was my iCCUP rating back then (oh god....) or going to that legit elite haxxors channel where all the gosu would come to find a challenge... i forget its name... clan something.

But I probably replayed that campaign three or four times, maybe more.

The last bw mission was a pain, sure. You're in the center and have toss on one side, zerg on another, and terran on yet another trying to kill you?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I've never played more than like 10 missions total between both games

is that wrong?

I did a lot of BGH/FASTEST MAPS!!!!!! and then a lot of VIDEO GAMES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS multiplayer in sc2.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Maybe it was my iCCUP rating back then (oh god....) or going to that legit elite haxxors channel where all the gosu would come to find a challenge... i forget its name... clan something.

But I probably replayed that campaign three or four times, maybe more.

The last bw mission was a pain, sure. You're in the center and have toss on one side, zerg on another, and terran on yet another trying to kill you?

Yeah, carriers and archons from the south, nukes from the side and battlecruisers from the top.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I've never played more than like 10 missions total between both games

is that wrong?

I did a lot of BGH/FASTEST MAPS!!!!!! and then a lot of VIDEO GAMES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS multiplayer in sc2.

The SC2 campaigns were pretty good. HotS > WoL > LotV, imo.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I remember when my friend and I would play Tower Defense maps in the original SC. I didn't have a computer that could play it, so we'd take turns clicking and shouting at the other person to hurry up and "Oh god, the swarm is coming"!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The Dragonball Z BGH maps were my jam back in the day.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think I'm actually more excited about the map editor's levels now that I think about it.

I used to play starship troopers all of the time. It was probably one of my favorite player created maps in any game.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    The Dragonball Z BGH maps were my jam back in the day.

That, and there was a pretty sweet "Omaha Beach" map my friend and I would play. Actually managed to beat it once. Also, Tower Defense and mother effing Bunker Wars!

Ahhh man, nostalgia overload!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Agree if you accidentally played one of those undress games back in bw.

-_-'

>.>
    <.<

l4lGvOw.png

wra

-_-'

>.>
    <.<

This is ringing some bells, but I don't 100% recall what the undress games were.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

-_-'

>.>
    <.<

This is ringing some bells, but I don't 100% recall what the undress games were.

I suspect they were naughty

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

-_-'

>.>
    <.<

Well, I gathered that much... :P

Whatever they were, I most likely did play them. I was in middle school then, so like, that kind of stuff was pretty in sync with my interests...

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I loved all the strategy game variations Starcraft and Warcraft 3, like the conquest thing where you'd start as a country and you had to capture nodes to gain more resources and each nation had their own unique unit types. Risk was great too.

I was even in a clan in Warcraft 3 with the guy who made the Broken Alliances, War of the Lost Kingdoms and 12 Kingdoms maps. Fun times.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    kime wrote: »

-_-'

>.>
    <.<

Well, I gathered that much... :P

Whatever they were, I most likely did play them. I was in middle school then, so like, that kind of stuff was pretty in sync with my interests...

They were a map where someone had used the map maker to import a shitty pr0n drawing of Kerrigan or whoever as the minimap.

Ah but you see, it wasn't just the minimap had a gif and gg no re.

In some maps you had to actually play the units and obstacles to get rid of the fog of war. Ever so revealing the minimap and more of the prize!

And it wasn't just Kerrigan. There were all kinds of different images. Some troll ones, too (the goggles...).

I mean.... so I heard from Billly in 2nd period homeroom.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    That does sound familiar. Me and Billy were rocking the shit back in the day probably... Don't tell our moms!

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I remember one game in Warcraft 3 which had a mechanic I thought was really cool, there was an evil god and a good god in the middle of the map, and a bunch of players in a ring around them with extra gold mines and random minions spread out across the map, the gods in the middle had to convince the regular players to pledge to follow them. This, and buildings and other stuff the player could do, would give the gods resources they could use to provide units and bonuses to their followers or to damage or curse their enemies' followers. It was pretty cool.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch