As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret World - Legends out 6/26/17

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, there's nothing else out there, officially. The official forums are somewhere between "wait and see" and "OMG it's gonna turn into another SWTOR!"

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    More proof that Funcom's marketing team is terrible. Those slides might be good for investors, but they should be accompanied by something targeted at customers.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The only time I ever hear mention of Funcom's marketing team is when they are mentioned as telling the devs that they can't talk about something yet.

I hope that the devs can convince marketing to give more details about this very soon because the vague wording of this, combined with the very long silence preceding it, is leading people to conclude the worst.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Man, if they actually do some sort of Combat Upgrade to TSW I may actually come back to try it. The lore and atmosphere of the game is amazing, but the extremely limiting combat is what eventually drove me from the game.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Look, it can't possibly turn out any worse than Star Wars: Galaxies, amirite?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    My wife and I got a copy of this from a humble bundle a while ago but haven't had the time to actually use the code yet. Still don't, really.

However...

I was wondering if there was any indication yet whether there was a good reason to activate and make an account before any of this happens?
    There's probably not enough info yet to tell, but I got curious since even though there's little chance of it right now we do still plan on trying it out eventually.

I mean, they are extremely unlikely to do anything that will get rid of any progress you make.

Basil wrote: »
    Look, it can't possibly turn out any worse than Star Wars: Galaxies, amirite?

Actually the Combat Upgrade to SWG did a good job of balancing classes, opening up options, and allowing a more varied playfield not dominated by TK/Pikeman/Doctors wielding Mind-Fire Dot Nightsister Lances.

It was the NGE that was shit.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Yeah, that is how it went, innit? I heard good things before the hammer dropped.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Looks like Golden Week is upon us, until 3/8/17.

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Looks like Golden Week is upon us, until 3/8/17.
    Come onnnnnnnnnnnn golden eyes.

So in case y'all haven't gone out yet, the golems do not have a cooldown, but do have that participation ranking system in place. I don't see any new rewards this time around.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I got bored and decided to dress up as an edgelord gothic punk antihero in Pangaea.

db4kpt2368gf.jpg

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Been running around as a healer for Golden Week.

861d406e037d33150aa695cdc3379a43.png

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    That is certainly one way to get the message across.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I just made a build that would allow me to solo the golems and just always use that

steam_sig.png
    Seems like we have a new community manager.

Are they a spider?

9KmX8eN.jpg
    No, but they are a dinosaur.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    That's good too.

H9f4bVe.png
    So, The Secret World is relaunching as Secret World: Legends.

The full FAQ is looked at over at MassivelyOP, but the FAQ just raises more questions.

I'm cursing my work filters right now.

I really want this to be good, because while I loved Secret World, my husband took one look at the combat and gave it a pass. I would be thrilled if this revamp was enough for my husband to give it a try, so that we could play together.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I'm even more concerned than before we had info.

I signed up for the beta.

steam_sig.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    The no character crossover makes sense, but it also sort of a bummer because I made a new character recently and finally caught up with my original character from when the game launched (ie, vampire country). Now I have to start AGAIN =p.
    I mean, I don't HAVE to, but I'm really curious to try the revamped combat.

vamen wrote: »
    The no character crossover makes sense, but it also sort of a bummer because I made a new character recently and finally caught up with my original character from when the game launched (ie, vampire country). Now I have to start AGAIN =p.

You mean the revampired combat, right?

I'll see myself out.

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So, the relaunch is actually a new game that lifts The Secret World's story and assets and The Secret World itself is functionally over. This... is crushing. I'm crushed.

Sneaks on

You mean the revampired combat, right?

I'll see myself out.

8Uu3tJD.jpg

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So Secret World Legends isn't going to be an MMO?

The FAQ does not mention it at all but I wonder if we will still pick a faction.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »

The FAQ does not mention it at all but I wonder if we will still pick a faction.

It sounds like it will have multiplayer elements, but that you won't see other players out and about like you normally would (unless they're in your group, sounds like).

They also mention improved graphics and stuff, but also mention that they're using the same engine.

Huh?

That thread really shows how unhappy people are with this. I wonder if that will change some of the things the devs are doing with TSWL

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

It sounds like it will have multiplayer elements, but that you won't see other players out and about like you normally would (unless they're in your group, sounds like).

They also mention improved graphics and stuff, but also mention that they're using the same engine.

Huh?

Wow, really? That is super disappointing.
    I've not gotten to read up on it yet (at work), but that really took the wind out of my sails.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Huh?

I've not gotten to read up on it yet (at work), but that really took the wind out of my sails.

Conversely, that just got me super excited to get back to some TSW someday. I've always maintained it would be a nearly perfect game if there were fewer/no people around (and it was balanced accordingly).

(edit to clarify: I'm totally hyperbolizing the "nearly perfect" bit. But I do think it would be a lot better!)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?

Huh?

Conversely, that just got me super excited to get back to some TSW someday. I've always maintained it would be a nearly perfect game if there were fewer/no people around (and it was balanced accordingly).

(edit to clarify: I'm totally hyperbolizing the "nearly perfect" bit. But I do think it would be a lot better!)

hey, could be you're right! I mean, I never really group with anyone or chat, so I guess it's not really any difference.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I mean, I can't really remember the last time I ran into someone outside the agartha in the first place?

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    I mean, I can't really remember the last time I ran into someone outside the agartha in the first place?

Also a good point.
    It'd be cool if they just made Agartha a player hub and then the rest was solo.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah I haven't played in a long time. When I did play last, there were always people all over the place.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hmm. HRM. HRRRMMMM.

Well, I'll give it a shot. I was wondering about starting up a new character and going through the storyline again, if the experience is done through a new game with a new combat system to use that would be a plus. I'm not crazy about my nice beefy max-level character and all his upgraded gear being left behind in a version of the game that will probably not be updated further, though.

But if all of this results in more story progression and more battles with the Filth and the Dreamers, then I pretty much have to support it.

H9f4bVe.png
    It also looks like PVP is going to continue to be a thing so that is great.

It feels weird to go to a new game format but as others mentioned it has never really felt like an MMO. I would see other players but there was no reason to interact directly beyond helping a new player being swarmed by enemies.

I'm looking forward to Legends but I am bummed to looks all the cool transmogs I have collected over my time with TSW.

I wonder how the dungeons would work. Would they be something you'd still need a group for, or would they be more geared towards a single player like the story mission instances?