As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in MMO Extravaganza

GPIA7R on

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    YEAH....

This was my first MMO.

I liken it to a first love.

A first love that you had to spend 14 million dollars before you could even get to second base.

Transporter on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ugh, iRO...

I'm with Transporter. It's like if getting to touch a boob cost your entire summer.
    And then you find out you've been making out with a dude the entire time.
    There's like, NO reward. And unlike WoW, where you can set goals, there's very little goal-orientation in RO.

"I want my Spear Knight to be ascended and be a Spear Lord knight!"
    Good! You're a Spear LK now!
    ...Now what? There's only so many times you can "upgrade", and alts take FOR-FUCKING-EVER to level up to a fun point.

Oh boy, Mage alt!
    Oh boy, Melee class with mage stats!
    Oh boy, a few levels of no/worthless spells!
    Oh boy, more levels of no SP!

Eh, RO was one of those things where the only time I had fun was by cutting the grind down on a...*cough*..."other means of play" which I WILL NOT discuss or give links to.
    Even then, it was a pain. The lack of respecs, restatting, etc. really made it painful.

And the cookie-cutter style was obnoxious. And ascension made it worse for me, anyway. Oh hey Spear Knights are rare! Awesome!
    Oh look, Lord Knights use Spears to maximum efficiency.
    :\

The Muffin Man on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really liked the graphical style of Ragnarok Online, but the gameplay was just ass. I didn't get very far before I uninstalled the whole mess.

reVerse on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Underrated.

HAH!

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I remember looking at this game in the 7th grade and thinking it was the most incredible thing ever, and then actually playing the open beta in the 8th grade with some friends I met at school and having such a great time because the concept was like EQ but it had kewl anime graphix and rockin music

I still look back on the game fondly, but I don't think I'd be able to do the official server...also I always screw up on games that let you configure stats so I always had to look up guides...poop.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    iRO is one of the slowest updating MMOs I've ever played.
    It was waaaaay too buggy with every major patch.
    The PvP on it is pretty stupid.

That and I got hacked twice so I felt it was time to leave.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited November 2007
    Arikado wrote: »
    iRO is one of the slowest updating MMOs I've ever played.
    It was waaaaay too buggy with every major patch.
    The PvP on it is pretty stupid.

That and I got hacked twice so I felt it was time to leave.

For a company based in California, Gravity seemed to care fuck-all for grammar and spelling.

The Muffin Man on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gravity is based in Korea. They jsut happen to run iRO out of their california office.

tehmarken on
    edited December 2007
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Gravity is based in Korea. They jsut happen to run iRO out of their california office.

And hired NO ONE that can speak english?
    It's just laziness.

The Muffin Man on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No arguing that. I played back when the alpha first started up through the first year of paid service. They just had Koreans that spoke rather poor engrish running things for iRO. It was pretty silly, and there were a billion running jokes of how bad the head iRO GM's engrish was.

Basically, RO is a game that is a major grindfest, poor support from the guys running it (at least for iRO), and honestly just not worth the money the subcription costs. Not even close.

tehmarken on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Generally the updates that the Korean servers get are a lot of fun, it's really too bad that I can't stand Korean language and the general way they play games.

iRO, as it stands, however, is not fun. They don't get the updates nearly as quickly, the service and lag suck and the economy gets thrown way out of proportion by botters.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited December 2007
    tehmarken wrote: »
    No arguing that. I played back when the alpha first started up through the first year of paid service. They just had Koreans that spoke rather poor engrish running things for iRO. It was pretty silly, and there were a billion running jokes of how bad the head iRO GM's engrish was.

Basically, RO is a game that is a major grindfest, poor support from the guys running it (at least for iRO), and honestly just not worth the money the subcription costs. Not even close.

As much as I bitch about WoW, at least I'm a bit more sure what I'm paying for.

With iRO, I was always asking myself "Wait, THIS is where my $13 a month goes?"

And they ruined ninjas.
    NINJAS.
    The most awesome class in any game ever. It's pretty much a requirement in any Final Fantasy that has it(save for 7...Yuffie broke the streak). And what do they make it? A hard to kill caster.

Because when I think ninja, I think magic first.

The Muffin Man on
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Saban wrote: »
    Underrated.

HAH!

^ what he said.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It had a good appeal, but the gameplay was balls.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    But it's cute!

mikojs9.jpg

Waiting around to see RO2 fixes the RO1 flaws, at least.

SabreMau on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hated iRO so much...

All my friends were hooked on the game, so I decided to make a character to play with them, after begging them to try out WoW instead. Having a terrible crafting system really pissed me off, so I forgot my dream of having a blacksmith and decided to roll a monk. Unfortunately I rolled a combo monk, so grinding was hell and PVP was even worse when I was finally high enough to experience it. And the artwork, good lord...So bad.

Also, I have never met an MMO with a community who uses ^_^ and XD so often. I wanted to stab my eyes out.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I played this game for a long time and I still infrequently play it because it is just adorable. :|

EDIT: knights 4 lyfe

Oboro on
    words
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I used to play before ascension or whatever. The PvP was awesome, especially with my 90+ spear knight that was loaded with awesome gear.

But yeah, there really isn't a ton of payoff and I can't even imagining leveling a character to that point without botting.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited December 2007
    SabreMau wrote: »
    But it's cute!

mikojs9.jpg

There is no reason for them not to. CoH and WoW have shown that there are simple fixes that the masses will enjoy to a lot of their shit.
    Loot stealing? Fuck that, loot the corpse.
    EDIT: knights 4 lyfe
    W3rd.

Just not Agi Knights.
    Fucking hell, RO.
    Only you people could make the sturdiest class a fucking glass cannon.
    Well, glass pea-shooter. Morons forgot Strength.
    And when I saw Crusaders, I thought "awesome! A sturdy class to play!"
    The standard?
    A form of CASTING Crusader.
    Basically a Holy Paladin that sucks at healing.

And don't get me started on the problem with Hunters.

The Muffin Man on
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My friends and I played this game for like a year and a half. It was painfully awesome. Looking back it was pretty horrible, and I don't know why we kept playing it.

The level grind is just horrible. No quests or anything; just grind, grind, grind. Item droprates are fucking retarded. They are like 0.01%.

All the classes are cookie cutters. War of Emporium was kind of fun, but I was just too chaotic and you die too fast.

Also hunters for lyfe.
    Spamming Double Strafe is like falling in love.

<3 on
  • firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SabreMau wrote: »
    But it's cute!

mikojs9.jpg

Don't bet on it, from what I read in many MMORPG dedicated site, people that played the Korean beta had said that its nothing but a big disappointment.

Well only time can tell......

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Loot stealing? Fuck that, loot the corpse.

This was fixed a hell of a long time ago where the loot had a certain time, I believe 5 seconds, where it can only be picked up by any one in your party and then after that it can be picked up by anyone.

I have to say that RO probably has the best pvp out of any game I've played. WoE is extremely fun and so i the normal pvp. I'd also have to disagree with (=3 about classes being cookie cutter. Theres actually a ton of variation and a lot of builds work the only problem is that you have to somehow test it and getting a high level build takes way to much investment for most people to actually try it. That in my opinion is ROs biggest flaw, the lack of the ability to respec given the time it takes to get a 99 or a 99 advanced. It also makes the game extremely unappealing to new people as simple mistakes can pretty much fuck your entire build.

khain on
    edited December 2007
    pvp in RO involves two people spamming a button and see who dies first.

There is really no movement or reactional skill involve.

Like, say, WoW pvp, you generally use certain skills depending on the situation. You can kite your opponent or use terrain to your advantage. It just has more flavor to pvp.

<3 on
    edited December 2007
    (=3 wrote: »

Like, say, WoW pvp, you generally use certain skills depending on the situation. You can kite your opponent or use terrain to your advantage. It just has more flavor to pvp.

PvP in RO was basically a checklist.
    Is your opponent a Hunter? If Yes, you lose.
    Is your opponent a Priest? If yes, you never win.
    Did your opponent see you enter the arena? If yes, you lose.
    Is your opponent alone? If yes, there's an Assassin right next to them waiting for you to get low in health and then die.

And so on.
    There was no "fair" PvP. It was retarded.

The Muffin Man on
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The one good thing I remember from iRO was the community the Acolytes/Priests had in that one undead dungeon. Even though it was a pointless grind glorified chatroom, I always remember the fun I had MEing an entire screen of skeletons.

Also private servers was the only way to play, once that game with p2p I left with the quickness.

Tyberius on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    a

GPIA7R on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The day WoW has diverse PVP, even compared to RO, is the day that the entire world blows up.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • silversh4d0wsilversh4d0w Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ha, haha... ha...

Did I ever play ragnarok.

I made a tribute video for this game where I incorporated my tens of thousands of screenshots over the 6-year span of my playing history. It was called 'Soulless Devotion'.

The only actual good that ever came from those wasted years was the one friend I met in California in 2002, whom I try to visit every year and talk with often.

silversh4d0w on
  • ConvaelConvael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I played it for 4 years and it turned me off videogames forever. I'm not even exaggerating. I almost want to request that this topic be deleted because this game is a hellish vortex that will suck you in and never let you leave. I made some good friends though.

Convael on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What I do remember is around November '04 (around the time some other game was just getting released), they put out an offer where if your account had expired, you could play free for a week or so. So I logged in, walked my acolyte west out of Prontera, and ran into...Baphomet? Maybe not him, but some wacky high-level mob was spamming attacks on bystanders and I died. I'd completely forgotten all the controls except click-where-you-want-to-walk.

At least it was still cute.

SabreMau on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This game was certainly one of those "you only enjoyed it because there was nothing else" games. I played it in beta, loved it, then stupidly gave it another go after having played WoW... good lord. Made into an annoying list thanks to looking like an illegible block of text otherwise:

-horrible levelling rate
    -absolutely no actual reason to kill shit besides "so you can level up to kill bigger shit"
    -upgrade and crafting mechanics that rely entirely on chance (fuck that)
    -classes whose low-levels-rock builds suck at high levels and high-levels-rock builds suck at low levels combined with NO stat respecs (double fuck that)
    -no enemy con
    -no autoloot
    -you need to PAY just to store shit at the bank
    -economy system based on covering city squares in lag-inducing players with their LAWLS BUY CRAP bubbles
    -terrible terrible downtime thanks to it taking an ice age to regenerate your health bar (resulting in healers constantly getting pestered by passers-by)
    -intercity travel that either takes forever or is expensive
    -mostly useless class abilities many of which require expensive ingredients to cast...

Piss. Utter piss. I tried the game on a must-not-be-mentioned servers and thanks to levelling on every poring, autoloot, infinite free (mobile) storage and 100x drop rates it was actually kinda fun... for a few hours, at which point you discover that the class skill trees are pretty much shit. Even Diablo had better skill trees than this, let alone something like WoW's 3 mix-n-match talent trees of variety.

Glal on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Is your opponent alone? If yes, there's an Assassin right next to them waiting for you to get low in health and then die.

And so on.

That's just...

None of that is true.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    a

GPIA7R on
    edited December 2007
    Oh god, I just remembered abilities that cost money to use. And the best of them all, the hunter buff one (Coin Toss? Can't remember), where you spent cash to have a chance of getting a buff, up to 6, and the more you had the lower your chance was to succeed in getting another one was. Also, it only lasted a couple of minutes.

The only thing about the game I still like is healing undead monsters to cause damage. That was just nifty.

Glal on
    edited December 2007
    Pretty much, Rag goes like this.

1-10 you want to gouge out your eyes.

10-49 you want to gouge out your eyes. But you look kinda cooler

50-Whatever is OH MY GOD YES FINALLY MY REAL CLASS I AM SUCH A BADASS OH GOD THIS GAME IS GREAT.

And then you spend a couple of days at 50.

Then a week.

Then HALF A YEAR rolls by and you are in the 60's. 70's if you were playing your ass off.

Then you realize that holy SHIT it has been half a fucking YEAR and I have only gained 10 levels.

And then, if you are still sane, you do the right thing and quit.

I had a Daggersin and a Hunter that I loved to death, but I had to spend millions of zenni or whatever the fuck it was just to gear up so I can level and well FUCK that shit.

Transporter on
    edited December 2007
    There is really no incentive to level other than for leveling sake.

Most "epic" loots are 0.01% drop which requires ungodly amount of time to farm for. Even those MVP bosses don't drop anything good most of the time.

<3 on
    edited December 2007
    The trancended classes were one HELL of an incentive.

I mean, get to 99 and then I can re-level as a super badass version of myself, kickass.

The only problem though, is that they did it backwards.

Since goddamn trancended took like 4 times the time to level then the normal 1-99, which was already a fucking Year and a half effort.

If they had decreased the exp to level trancended classes to like, fuck, one half of what it took to get to 1-99,I might have got another year or two out of it.

Transporter on
    edited December 2007
    It's hella stupid when you get 0.05% of xp per mob but lose 1% every time you die.

<3 on
    edited December 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »

And so on.

That's just...

None of that is true.

Hunters could double strafe faster than you could get past the minor stun of attacks. Knights had Endure, but Gravity nerfed it down to 7 hits. I'm not sure if each hit of Double Strafe was 1(wouldn't shock me...), but 7 hits either way is quick as hell.

Full Support Priests could keep themselves up indefinitely, and Rez people to do their bidding.

Most PVPers will stand around the fountain and wait for someone to enter, then all jump on him.

Assassins, despite being one of the most capable classes(second highest HP in the game, ridiculous damage, good Dodge rating) were nothing but vultures until they Ascended.

But hey it's not like I wasted my life playing this grindfest.

Sabre: Dead Branch summons a ridiculously powerful monster to the area*. It's one of those things Gravity has banned (No DB'ing in a low level zone. No DBing unless you intend to fight and kill the mob), but doesn't actually make any attempts to stop. Like Private servers, or hacking, or selling zenny, or price gouging, or spamming the chat, or...

Well, ANY monster in the game. It tends to be ridiculously powerful. And if it's a weak one, a Sage can use Hocus Pocus to randomly turn it into an MVP instead, then they just ditch it.

Glal: That was a Gunner buff and it only cost about 2 zenny, so it wasn't TOO bad.

Now MAMMONITE.
    God.
    1000zenny and it's a Merchants SPAMMABLE skill?

The Muffin Man on
    edited December 2007
    You know your MMO is broken when you balance a skill's use with monetary cost. Heck, I lost a friend to this game; last I heard from him a couple of years back he had a number of level-cap characters.

Glal on