As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] New Year, New Dungeons, Same Ol' Bane

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Thanks, @DevoutlyApathetic
    Doing a cursory glance over Sixth World, it seems right up my alley. There's just enough stuff to feed that ''shopping kart craze'' but it seems pared down enough that you have distinct characters and distinct actions that are quick to look up and perform.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So, if I were to try and organize a Roll20 Shadowrun game with rotating GM's would that be of interest to anyone?

Also are there any like, specific, bounty hunter games? There's a lot of games that could run bounty hunting stuff but nothing specifically aimed at it. Preferably sci-fi.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I know it's not specifically aimed at it, but Edge of the Empire has a Bounty Hunter class and with the recently-released book for the class, has enough different flavors that an all-bounty hunter group would be perfectly viable. EotE is already about living on the fringes and the Bounty Hunter book has lots of info about developing all sorts of things for a campaign with a focus on bounty hunting. The Hired Gun class book might also be worth looking at, as it has stuff about mercenary companies and the sorts of campaigns that sci-fi independent contractors might get up to, which has enough thematic similarity to be applicable to running a bounty hunter game.

Yeah, Star Wars isn't quite the tone or mechanics I was looking for.

Was more curious for ones that systemize the genre specifically.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Dogs in the Vineyard is sort of a bounty hunter game? It's more like Pony Express/Judge/Executioner though.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I always describe Dogs in the Vineyard as Mormon Paladins in the Old West, as it's pretty explicitly intended to approach the Paladin Problem from D&D. Which is not very bounty-huntery.

I got to play Fiasco today and that game is still hella fun.

• Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    So, if I were to try and organize a Roll20 Shadowrun game with rotating GM's would that be of interest to anyone?

Also are there any like, specific, bounty hunter games? There's a lot of games that could run bounty hunting stuff but nothing specifically aimed at it. Preferably sci-fi.

Bounty Bebop and Myrmidon's old Manhunter RPG both put on a veneer of being BH-focused sci-fi games but neither digs deep into meta/narrative elements if that is what you are really looking for.

I found this little thing to help grok Dungeon World and what's expected of players and GMs.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3269630/dwdotcom/eon-guide/Dungeon World Guide pdf version 1.2.pdf

I'm grinning ear to ear now for Sixth World. This could turn the plodding pudding pace of shadowrun into Cowboy Bebop or Stand Alone Complex levels of pace.

Work takes up a lot of my time since I drive everywhere, but I'm gonna want to try and get a Shadowrun of this up at some point.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Got my shadowrun books out of the storage unit.
    Probably the most complete 4th ed outside of the local flgs.

Gonna do inventory and see whether I want to start out at current date with the Boston lockdown and the issues in London or default to the tempo craze back in '74 since I'm most comfortable with what was happening then.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    alright, I need some help with dungeon world/sixth world. since shadowrun seems to have a heavy emphasis on the laundry list of items, how would you guys go about pairing it down for a sixth world game?

I mean sure, lots of the mundane stuff like regular ammo or candles we don't need to bean count, but for some operations, you'd need rope or c4 or what have you, or even maglock decoders and such. would you guys just go with types to tool kits and uses of them burn them up? or just an all purpose omnitool kit?

and then you get into the cyberware, decks, and vehicles which are significant enough to not fall under such tiny minutia.
    I'm curious about some spitballed ideas here. How would I go about keeping it simple stupid without just the players declaring they can get whatever forbidden item they want or just so happened to pick up just in time for the run?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I would honestly bean count it. Like, in dungeon world, you still have to keep track of weight, how many health potions you have. I don't know about Cyberware or decks because never played Shadowrun or whatever you are basing this off of, but I'd go with vehicles being like an PC, with their own stats and whatnot that players "Control" using the driving skill. Then the GM can target either the vehicle to disable it, or the player at a cost to kill them.

But having a list of things that the players have can greatly reduce them from pulling just what they needed out of their Batbelt. If this was FATE that has FATE Points, or MHR which has Plot Points, I'd make them spend that to recon things to say they had that thing all along, but PbtA doesn't have that, I don't think...

Or... You could make it a move for one of the archetypes

Always Prepared
    10+: You just so happen to have the tool/item you were looking for, allowing you to succeed in a task it would be used for without needing to roll.
    9-7: You have something that might work, but it's old, outdated, not compatible with what you are trying to use it for. You can succeed in the task you used the item with but there will be some complications because you used an item not completely compatible with the task at hand, decided on by the GM.
    6-: You forgot the item you wanted and can't use this Move for the rest of the scene.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    @Rainfall you see your latest Ex3 backer email?

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Oh hey, nice! Should have happened two years ago, but still.

Does anyone have any opinions on Faith? It looks kinda interesting as a card driven game with a smaller amount of set up. Plus I dig sci-fi style settings in general.

edited March 2017
    Rainfall wrote: »

In case you're reading this and not in the know, Holden and Morke have been booted off the Exalted line and it's now in the hands of Eric Minton and Robert Vance. This will hopefully help a shitload for getting books actually out the door.

Rainfall on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    They've also moved to actually previewing books!

So that's cool

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    we shall see

it is a small measure of hope but the fact that they were allowed to fester and seethe that long throws any onyx path business decision into question in my mind though

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    alright, I need some help with dungeon world/sixth world. since shadowrun seems to have a heavy emphasis on the laundry list of items, how would you guys go about pairing it down for a sixth world game?

I mean sure, lots of the mundane stuff like regular ammo or candles we don't need to bean count, but for some operations, you'd need rope or c4 or what have you, or even maglock decoders and such. would you guys just go with types to tool kits and uses of them burn them up? or just an all purpose omnitool kit?

and then you get into the cyberware, decks, and vehicles which are significant enough to not fall under such tiny minutia.
    I'm curious about some spitballed ideas here. How would I go about keeping it simple stupid without just the players declaring they can get whatever forbidden item they want or just so happened to pick up just in time for the run?
    Run it like Blades in the Dark. You have X amount of "slots" that are not predetermined before the run. During the run, if they need a piece of consumable/esoteric gear that they don't have, they can take up one or more slots saying "Hey, I prepped this beforehand, we're cool", but then those slots aren't available for the rest of the run. In effect, it's like Leverage's Flashbacks or whatever. It really cuts down on the amount of "What if?" prep.

In vanilla Shadowrun, you only use Maglock passkeys if you want to quickly attempt to bypass a Maglock (as fast as sliding a card). You always had the option of dismantling a Maglock and rewiring it, which takes a lot more time than sliding a card or using a sequencer, and having a Microtronics kit is useful to eliminate the Improvised Tools penalty. I've never run or been a player in a Shadowrun game that had consumable tool kits, and most GMs were lenient enough to let "generic Microtronics kit" also be used for other technical tasks (like Mechanics). Of course, most Maglocks are connected to the Matrix (because LOL security is just as bad, if not worse, in 2070 as it is today), so you should probably just allow the Decker or Rigger to handle it with their default tools (cyberdeck or drone).

Most GMs are content to let their characters purchase generic "kits" appropriate to whatever skill they plan on using (there are a few kits that are explicitly laid out, like Climbing kits and Survival kits, but for the most part, it is encouraged to just use the Kit/Shop/Facility gear purchases to simplify things). Gear selection for Shadowrun can easily be boiled down to Weapon choice, Armor choice, Commlink choice, and misc. gear, even in vanilla Shadowrun.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

In case you're reading this and not in the know, Holden and Morke have been booted off the Exalted line and it's now in the hands of Eric Minton and Robert Vance. This will hopefully help a shitload for getting books actually out the door.

Wait, really?

Really really?

Vance is actually calling shots now? Yes!

What the heck was it that finally broke the camel's back, though, if it's known?

Steam ID: Right here.
    Drascin wrote: »

Wait, really?

Really really?

Vance is actually calling shots now? Yes!

What the heck was it that finally broke the camel's back, though, if it's known?

I don't read RPGnet enough to stay up on gossip and I'll be damned if I start, but Holden being a giant pissbaby means it's likely we'll hear about it eventually.

edited March 2017

They also rejiggered the book schedule because the previous one was fucking stupid.

You don't release a new game edition and then dither on releasing the required supplementary materials; Exalted basically requires DBs, Lunars, and Sidereals to function as a coherent game.

Edit: Wow, the spinning has already begun. Holden jumped on immediately to insist he wasn't fired, he was offered more money elsewhere(?). Incredible. Dude literally cannot help himself.

Ardent on
    edited March 2017
    Giant pissbaby. Also who the fuck would hire Holden after this horror show?

Rainfall on
    edited March 2017
    Giant pissbaby. Also who the fuck would hire Holden after this horror show?
    Not Neil Gaiman.

tumblr_m4bwhsYHoy1r4xmlto1_500.jpg

I think Holden's thoroughly wrecked his reputation in the industry. I know Morke is considered a con man. It'll be curious to see how quickly Holden is retired as an RPG.net moderator.

Ardent on
    As far as someone to talk with Holden is fine. But, ya. His reputation on managing a product is shot. He needs to focus on other smaller print works to rebuild any trust. However, I'm not sure they can salvage much for Exalted 3 now. Sure, getting Arms out in the next few months would help, but a lot (LOT) of goodwill towards Onyx Path from the Exalted community is shot now. Hell, I'm not really interested since 3E mechanics and charm logic is such a slog.

As far as someone to talk with Holden is fine.
    This is not at all his reputation any more. He's been a complete asshat to a lot of people. He might have many wonderful things to say, but nobody's going to listen.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Things my players did tonight that made me internally cackle:
    (Dresden files RPG)
    Quoted "Something wicked this way comes" back and forth in character. On the equinox.

Finished an encounter with one Faire Queen, then in the next scene said "Titania" three times in three sentences while discussing court structure.

Insulted said Queen while one character owed a debt to an entity in that court. (Also nearly threw iron filings are her, while the Knight was standing behind them)

thanks hahnsoo. I'll look into that. Maybe some amalgam? With your idea of slots and kits that might be the better way to go. and then when they use that kit or slot too many times or combat wear and tear and I'll just use the actual shopping list and say you need to buy a new screwdriver or geiger counter or you need to replenish your slap patches, pitons, or medical equipment, etc. and then use the shopping list prices.

you gotta find that one thing, but you dont have to worry about bookkeeping once you buy it since the kit is all inclusive.

Now I just need to decide where I want to put the runners and at what time period...

I like 2071 with the Tempo craze, because its Seattle (I *know* Seattle) and its drug running, so it hasn't hit peak burnout even with Breaking Bad and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I've started reading heavily in the Lockdown primer and it gives the 411 about that's going on in Boston and... sigh... I mean, its a neat twist but its
    zombies
    its played out and I'm sure everyone is sick and tired of that.

Might need to go to the LFGS and look at the Stolen Souls Manhattan adventures or London Falling stuff, but I don't know those towns.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    edited April 2017
    Ardent wrote: »
    This is not at all his reputation any more. He's been a complete asshat to a lot of people. He might have many wonderful things to say, but nobody's going to listen.

Ya. More to pity. The creepy industry cross pollination with RPG.net board has also made it VERY difficult to talk about the game lines faults. My friend who has the constructive criticism post on OP's own boards had his thread locked and then deleted. They are doing some very passive aggressive astro turfing now that the physical books are finally out.

The real sad point. OP's soured my feeling about their behavior on this and a few kickstarters. I was very curious about the new Trinity line, but now? Not really. I'm going to spend my time and money elsewhere. Add to that I'm none too keen on the new 'beat' mechanics in COD line that Demon introduced that I'm just going to move on. If I wanted a meta narrative game system I'd go nab FATE or PbtA system. Otherwise, I dunno. Savage Worlds, or something specific like Mythras/M-Space will do for now.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    As much as I love the Shadowrun universe, when I get to the actual rules section, I mentally blank out.

Though I think I have this problem with anything that isn't White Wolf.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2017
    Ardent wrote: »

Ya. More to pity. The creepy industry cross pollination with RPG.net board has also made it VERY difficult to talk about the game lines faults. My friend who has the constructive criticism post on OP's own boards had his thread locked and then deleted. They are doing some very passive aggressive astro turfing now that the physical books are finally out.

The real sad point. OP's soured my feeling about their behavior on this and a few kickstarters. I was very curious about the new Trinity line, but now? Not really. I'm going to spend my time and money elsewhere. Add to that I'm none too keen on the new 'beat' mechanics in COD line that Demon introduced that I'm just going to move on. If I wanted a meta narrative game system I'd go nab FATE or PbtA system. Otherwise, I dunno. Savage Worlds, or something specific like Mythras/M-Space will do for now.
    This has been their modus operandi for some time. One of my GMs has decided that Godbound is every bit as good as Exalted is, mechanically, and that if we're going to play Exalted in the future, it'll be with Godbound, understanding that the system rigor enforces behaviors, and serial numbers filed off.

Personally, I'm happy to just write my own systems now. Or hack things into an appropriate toolkit engine.

Edit to add: apparently Holden and Morke were told they wouldn't be paid for Miracles and anything else Rich chooses to see published after the fact, like the entire bestiary that was cut from the core book. So I guess chalk this up to OPP modus operandi and "couldn't have happened to a nicer couple of guys."

Ardent on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Okay. So I am running Monster of the Week, which is my first Apoc. system game I have ever ran (i've played in a few). The game went GREAT and everyone had a really good time. But from the side of me as running it I have a few questions. I am sure the rulebook has these explinations, and I have read/skimmed the book as much as time has allowed for me. But I really would like an interpretation from someone else who actually RUNs the game as that usually processes better for me.

So in the scenario we were running, my hunters were trying to destroy a relic water-clock filled with the blood of a person who turned themselves into a wraith to gain 'eternal life'. Now the motivation of the Wraith is to attack anyone who tries to touch/disturb/destroy the clock. And the keeper move for 'attack with great force and fury' is there.

But my question is -- does the monster just do damage without any kind of roll or reaction from the hunter who grabs the clock? Coming from a DnD/d20/Vampire background there has always been some kind of roll on the GM side to determine if my monster or foe's attack connects with my player. But that doesn't seem to be the case with this.

I gave him the option of either rolling 'kick some ass' to try to fight the thing off, or 'act under pressure' to dodge out of the way. And gave the other hunters in the room the opportunity to 'help out' to help him. But is that, right?

So how is reactionary combat supposed to work? Do I just do damage as a hard move and the players just trust me not to abuse that?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    (Dresden files RPG)
    Quoted "Something wicked this way comes" back and forth in character. On the equinox.

Finished an encounter with one Faire Queen, then in the next scene said "Titania" three times in three sentences while discussing court structure.

Insulted said Queen while one character owed a debt to an entity in that court. (Also nearly threw iron filings are her, while the Knight was standing behind them)

What part of the timeline are you playing in? I always liked Fix.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I would say that Act Under Pressure is the MotW version of Defy Danger, so I'd have them roll that. A failure means that they take the hit.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I gave him the option of either rolling 'kick some ass' to try to fight the thing off, or 'act under pressure' to dodge out of the way. And gave the other hunters in the room the opportunity to 'help out' to help him. But is that, right?

So how is reactionary combat supposed to work? Do I just do damage as a hard move and the players just trust me not to abuse that?

You've got the general idea, yeah. You follow the soft move>hard move cycle, so your soft move is "the wraith is coming after you. What do you do?" and then if they fail or get a partial success, your hard move is deal damage.

BUT there are times when it will make the most sense to just go straight to damage. If the hunters are approaching the clock and you say "you hear ethereal screeching and see the very air in front of you shifting and twisting. What do you do?" and they go straight for the clock, you can just deal damage. The key is that you've already done your soft move -- "show them the barrel of the gun"* and they disregarded it, so you're not being unfair by going to a hard move.

*that's what it's called in Apocalypse World, I don't know the MotW equivalent.

The funniest bit of the whole session was they had literally JUST finished interacting with the nosey across the street neighbor lady then proceeded to break into the haunted house in broad daylight, then were SHOCKED when the lady called the cops on them.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, with PbtA games, you get used to the thing of using soft moves to set up a hard move. So the hard move would be to deal damage to the PC straight out. But it doesn't feel great to just have that happen without a setup. But if you use a soft move to tell them the bad guy is bearing down on them and asking what they do, then it's up to them how to react. They can fight the thing, which is going to be kick some ass, and they're going to deal and take some damage, depending on how they roll. Or they can try act under pressure to avoid the attack, and on a 7-9 maybe they avoid it but they have to leave the clock behind, and now the monster is between them and the thing they want.

Monster of the Week specifically tells you that once a hunter is out of luck points, then you make hard moves against them at will, because they're doomed. But up until that point, you want to be setting up hard moves with soft ones, which gives the PC a chance to react to the impending danger.

Joshmvii on
    (Dresden files RPG)

Fix is currently the Summer Knight, we're about the same time the RPG books are- so just post Small Favor.

That said we're also running with the probably-non-cannon-but-amusing alternate Court structure, so the incident above was with the Spring knight and Queen. Then the characters are trying to figure WTF out and don't realize that name-dropping a Queen repeatedly is a bad idea..

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    (Dresden files RPG)

Fix is currently the Summer Knight, we're about the same time the RPG books are- so just post Small Favor.

That said we're also running with the probably-non-cannon-but-amusing alternate Court structure, so the incident above was with the Spring knight and Queen. Then the characters are trying to figure WTF out and don't realize that name-dropping a Queen repeatedly is a bad idea..

Not your fault if they don't read the books enough.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    (Dresden files RPG)

Not your fault if they don't read the books enough.

In this case they just got thunder and the room getting warmer as a hint to pay attention in the future.

"Something wicked this way comes" got them a thug with a sledgehammer because it prompted me to toss a fate point at a Trouble.. And indirectly got them arrested. (Care of one party member shooting said thug, rolling a +4 while he rolled a -4).