As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Aus 2017 Panel Ideas & Chatter

limedragonflylimedragonfly Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
Hey guys, so I know this is incredibly early, but we actually kicked off some panel chat in slack today and I thought it'd be good to post something here to capture the ideas discussed and more.

So if you have any feedback on last year's panel (constructive only please), or ideas for what we can do this year dump them in here.

Ideas from slack today:
  • It would be great to open up the presenter slots for nominations. The aus community is growing and as such it would be nice to follow examples lead by the larger paxes and take suggestions for presenters - affording others opportunities to join if they'd like.
  • It would be great to have set roles for each spot. The example discussed here was that we have a purpose or type for each panel member, thus ensuring we have different aspects of the community represented. Examples might include:
    • Long term pinnypal - they're here to pass on their pearls of wisdom gathered over years of pinny fun.
    • New pinnypal - they're here to pass on info on how they joined and what it's like to get involved in the community. All the kind of stuff long-term members may have forgotten, or may be new since they joined.
    • International pinnypal - we love visitors and pax aus is a long way to travel for some of them, this would be a great opportunity to hear tales of far away paxes, etc.
    • Guest - this might be a designer of pins - for example a lot of the aus indie pins are designed by the same people and it'd be great to hear about the thought that goes into the process, and what reactions they get from the community.
    • Facilitator- the speaker who runs the presentation and hosts the panel. Powerpoint/presenting skills come in handy here :)
  • Panel Transporter - @change has offered to helicopter in people for the panel... this may or may not have been a joke :P

Just to reiterate, I've posted this to save some of the chatter that came up in slack today - this is in no way an official organising thread. I think the panel has had some great content in the past, it's just worth seeing if there are any new ideas :).

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Now might be a good time to mention I'm sitting out this years panel. I have no idea if they've been looking for anyone to replace me yet. It's up to @sennohki if he wants to open the space up for community voting or not.

My only comment is I think we should stick with locals. US peeps have potentially 3 shows to spread interested contributors over, but we've only got this one.

• Options
    sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's just up to me, really.
    I'm happy to take nominations, and put it to votes, etc, if that's what the community wants.
    I've already been chatting to a special guest who's interested in making an appearance on the panel, and we've thrown the idea around of having two panels in order to fit in more content.
    Healthy and constructive feedback and contributions are welcome.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Like I was saying, 100% up to the community!

Also if I'm the special guest, I can't make it, soz. If it's someone else, I WANT BACK IN!

• Options
    I feel like two panels might be overkill. Is the reason to address different audiences? If so, it might mean thinning out the attendance a bit far.

Other suggestions I had would be to have a practice run through (even over skype) as some of the transitions between sections/speakers last year seemed a little stilted.

Also, I think that perhaps the delivery could be punchier? The content was great, and I thought the slides were pretty slick, but sometimes the presentation/speaking was a little dry.

As someone who does a fair bit of public speaking as part of my job, I'd just love to lend a hand and help polish up the panel when it comes time, as I think the foundation is solid.

• Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm happy to put my hand up for a panel appearance. Seeing as I do the facebook and am in cookie brigade and have been collecting for a while I reckon I have plenty to offer. Plus, you get double your Senno's worth.

• Options
    theoriginalztheoriginalz PhillyRegistered User regular
    I vote @Renfamous to not be on this panel. :biggrin:

Trade pins with me! Pinny LanyardjlB4Ded.png
  • Options
    ndwhiteyndwhitey AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Feedback (please don't take personally): While the content was good, the delivery of said content was quite flat. As well, it seems a tad unorganized in the sense of there was probably no rehearsal. Because of this some of the more 'humorous' parts of the panel also felt flat.

In regards to @sennohki 's suggestion of teo panels: I don't see there being any rationale to having two separate panels...at least not just yet. I don't feel you would have enough content to justify this.

In regards to suggestions other suggestions:

I do like the idea of community voted panel members. Keeps things fresh and allows for new perspectives each year. However, there also probably needs to be a semi permanent 'head of panel member'. This would be to ensure that the panel doesn't fall apart due to unreliable members.

I believe a special guest would be lovely. It kind of adds a much needed 'special' touch to the panel that might have been lacking last year. Please look into this further !

I understand @fishfishmonkeyhat 's point about 'keeping it local' to maintain pax aus interest considering new pin collectors probably dont want tohear what a pax is like overseas when they never intend to go. However, I do still think there should be a focus on the wider community of pin collecting in America and beyond. A majority of the pins exist outside of Australia not inside.

*disclaimer* these are just the ramblings of a mad man typing on his phone. If there are any mistakes I apologise.

• Options
    RenfamousRenfamous Weeb, Unexceptional Cosplayer Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Point of order, Hanna Pintour is not American. She is a citizen of the world.

Renfamous on
  • Options
    I'm hearing you guys and there will be 100% more star-wipes between camera shots.

• Options
    WigumWigum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I vote @Renfamous to not be on this panel. :biggrin:

Why, does she not need a free badge?

Wigum on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Lay off the bs in here.

limedragonfly on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know some pre-existing jokes exist in this group, but there isn't any context in this thread for them. Please refrain from things that make you look like jerks to those not in on the jokes. Thanks!

• Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I would be interested in putting my name forward as a potential panellist candidate if you are looking for people. I've got a chunk of public speaking/ presentation experience too if that helps!

Edit: Assuming you would accept a lowly Kiwi into your midst ;)

PAX_Skeletor on
  • Options
    agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Some great suggestions on people/content here! I'm really looking forward to it whether it be cheering from the crowd or participating :biggrin:

PS. As I buy tickets immediately, and I've never had a refund successfully processed by ReedPop when I hand my paid pass in, "free" tickets have so far eluded me!

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • Options
    InterestingMixInterestingMix A little bit of everything really Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think having @senno on would be interesting. I'd love to hear what the sort of interactions we get to stuff on social media is like. Especially considering some of this comes from outside the community.

I will warn (as someone who has to present social media stats and info for a living), that you will need to find a way to present/talk about this in an entertaining way.

I will second the statement around the necessity for a rehearsal/plan. Either over Skype or if possible meeting in person in a quiet area of PAX in the days leading up. (I can't speak directly regarding the PinnyPals panel specifically, but know this is a necessity for the various conferences etc. where I have been exhibitor/panelist on considerably more boring topics)

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • Options
    InterestingMixInterestingMix A little bit of everything really Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Technically @PAX_Skeletor is an "International" guest, but this is still his home PAX

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think having @senno on would be interesting. I'd love to hear what the sort of interactions we get to stuff on social media is like. Especially considering some of this comes from outside the community.

I will warn (as someone who has to present social media stats and info for a living), that you will need to find a way to present/talk about this in an entertaining way.

I will second the statement around the necessity for a rehearsal/plan. Either over Skype or if possible meeting in person in a quiet area of PAX in the days leading up. (I can't speak directly regarding the PinnyPals panel specifically, but know this is a necessity for the various conferences etc. where I have been exhibitor/panelist on considerably more boring topics)

I'm not sure how much I can divulge. I get emails from people who work in Xbox, LRR, Bungie and the like, and of course I've got press releases from a bunch of others. I can give broad descriptions of that, I can share information on how people find the facebook page - spikes in interest in it and such. What the most liked pictures/albums and posts are. By the way, all that stuff on the facebook page is available for anyone who wants to use it at a panel.

I've gotten quite a few questions from people not in the community about it as well. I always refer them to these forums as a great place to start, and the facebook page as a great way to check out pictures, get news releases and such.

I'll be setting up polls very shortly, hoping to keep people interacting as we go into Pinter. I may do something special in the lead up to a panel - and the results would be revealed at the panel.

Just a thought. But I would love to share the word on Cookie Brigade as well - they have non pinny pins, but they also get pins from teams and give them to people who donate awesome amounts. Last PAX Aus we had a couple hundred we were meant to distribute but they didn't make it in time.

• Options
    sennohkisennohki Hobart, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'd suggest setting up a nomination or voting poll for those interested.
    For those who do the panel this year, good luck, and have fun :)

• Options
    One of these years I'll actually make it to the community panel. Stupid life commitments :confused:

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • Options
    grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    See how it goes but I honestly don't think you'll need to run any voting contests. For one, I don't think panels should be popularity based, that really just feels anti-PAX :)

If you have more panelists than positions, just throw them in a hat and pull randomly. But honestly judging from last year, we did throw the doors open and we really ended up with one new panelist in capt_wasabi, we swapped out an old panelist and that was that. It was no issue at all.

This year, from my understanding, only 2 panelists from the last set are currently wanting to be on the next. Capt and Duckie, personally I do think they are very representative of the Aus community and I think they work great as the longterm pinnys.

From there I'd say the most eager (people already posting) are your best bet :)

For a controversial opinion, I don't think guests really add that much to a panel. Most guests you will acquire don't really engage in pins that much (producing a pin doesn't really mean you're in to them) and being on a panel isn't really going to be a special moment for them. I think the privilege is better reserved for community members, who will cherish and get a lot more out of their time as a panelist :)

Anyway, just suggestions, good luck new panelists! Hope you have a blast.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I look forward to seeing what you all put together. Keep in mind, it is not required to have a "full" panel either, lots of great panels have only 2 or 3 people.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Aussie BenAussie Ben AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hello! Sorry it has been so long since I posted, I, uh, forgot my password. Whoops.

A long while back I was contacted to see if I would want to be part of a panel, if you still would like me, I would be happy to attend.

in an unrelated note, you should attend pax aus this year

• Options
  • Options
    Did you get all this sorted out in the end?

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Oh, look, a thing

2062l0rp5zdh.png

InterestingMix on
    m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!