As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [PHOTO THREAD] is too hot to keep one name!

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I find the flag a bit distracting from the focus of the picture, which I'm assuming is the phallic symbol.

UnknownSaint on
  • Blue Is BeautifulBlue Is Beautiful Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    saltiness you've gotten so much better since last time i saw you. awesome awesome.

Blue Is Beautiful on
    no, you can't.
  • Blue Is BeautifulBlue Is Beautiful Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    tmccool wrote: »
    doing some experimentation in my photo class

all of its done in the dark room:

1973608665_d779f52583.jpg
    1973608313_d4c8d8e545.jpg
    1973606665_a3addc64a0.jpg
    1973605839_4bb4d94947.jpg
    1974431900_ea055e2957.jpg

hockney!

Blue Is Beautiful on
    no, you can't.
  • benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    School.

Same here. I haven't shot since summer. :(

Snowboarding pictures should start me up again once finals are over with.

benz0rs on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I'm always quite scared to take my nice camera snowboarding. I don't fall too often, but when I do it's usually a hard one. I need some sort of X-TREME camera carrying case for all the crazy stuff I do that I'd like to take my camera with me for.

Prospicience on
    edited December 2007
    HOLY SHIT DUDES MY WIDE-ANGLE LENS IS HERE AND IT SO FUCKING AWESOME

Sheri on
  • TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sheri, tell me about it. I'm thinking of getting a wide angle lens.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
    edited December 2007
    My experience with any new lens is at first skepticism. Everyone says it's great, blah blah, but before getting something new I'd have grown fond of whatever I bought most recently. Then the new something brings in all sorts of new possibilities and it becomes your new regular. /shrug

UnknownSaint on
    edited December 2007
    Tini wrote: »
    Sheri, tell me about it. I'm thinking of getting a wide angle lens.

It is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

(like your mother's vagina)

Sheri on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Railway_Platform_by_Rihani.jpg

Train_Rain_by_Rihani.jpg

The_Cross_of_Colmcille_by_Rihani.jpg

Diamonds_In_The_Rough_by_Rihani.jpg

Comments are always welcome.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Last one: Yes.

Others: Bleh.

MKR on
    edited December 2007
    MKR wrote: »

The gravestone in front of the cross pissed me off so much when the picture came through, you have no idea... but thanks! I've got plenty of other similar shots, since there's bugger all else to shoot around our house.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

edited December 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

The gravestone in front of the cross pissed me off so much when the picture came through, you have no idea... but thanks! I've got plenty of other similar shots, since there's bugger all else to shoot around our house.

Bah, there are photo opportunities all over.

Here's a trick: Look closely at things that don't look like interesting subjects.

I would do a slowly-getting-closer thing to show an example (everything around here looks boring at first!), but the light outside is terrible. Curse you, overcast winters!

Edit: SUCCESS!

depressing.jpg

Boy, that's an awful craphole, isn't it?

...or is it?

treehug.jpg

Tree hug!

MKR on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SHERI: POST PICS ZOMG WIDE ANGLE

ROHAND: last one is good. I see that there could have been potential for the cross one, go back and re-shoot!

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited December 2007
    WIDE WHAT

IMG_0398b1.jpg

EDIT: Note: not 10mm

Sheri on
    edited December 2007
    You work at the magic kingdom don't you ;)

Good shot. BTW what's your job?!

altmann on

signature.png
    edited December 2007
    I don't work at the MK, I work in Celebration with Disney Youth Market Sales. Selling youth group trips and whatnot.

Sheri on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Looking for some crits on my micro images from a trip to the park the other day.

crete.jpg

chalk.jpg

anable on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, the stump (or is it cement?) is in focus in the first shot, but I think it needs a more clearly defined subject. That is to say, any subject. As it stands, there isn't anything particularly interesting about the photo. The sky is a bland wash of bokeh-blue and the stump isn't in a place where its texture or some interesting feature of it is highlighted by the shot.

The second shot is a bit better, with that orange chunk of something and the chalk markings providing more things to look at than just the texture of the cement. It isn't doing much for me, though - might I recommend you try to find more interesting subjects (at a park, perhaps some bugs or interesting leaves) or get in closer. That orange fleck has potential and might make a more interesting photo at a higher magnification so you can see more detail.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
    edited December 2007
    altmann wrote: »

ROHAND: last one is good. I see that there could have been potential for the cross one, go back and re-shoot!

I know, but it's in a graveyard miles from me, outside of the nearest town. When I get my licence I'll drive out there immediately near sunset ^_^

I'm surprised nobody liked the first one... I did nothing with the camera for any of the pictures, they were taken straight from the XD card onto my laptop, and then up to my account. The colours are really nicely muted, and it's all natural light. But nobody likes it!

Rohan on

edited December 2007

I know, but it's in a graveyard miles from me, outside of the nearest town. When I get my licence I'll drive out there immediately near sunset ^_^

I'm surprised nobody liked the first one... I did nothing with the camera for any of the pictures, they were taken straight from the XD card onto my laptop, and then up to my account. The colours are really nicely muted, and it's all natural light. But nobody likes it!

I don't like it because, honestly, it's pretty boring. There's no focus. There are too many elements, so nothing stands out. There's no sense of composition.

Sheri on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    WIDE WHAT

M-I-C-K-E-Y C-A-ST-LE!

EDIT: Note: not 10mm

Well, duh! That's obviously at 14mm!!!

Also, it's a good shot. The tonal range is awesome with nothing blown out but the full range being used. I bet the histogram is PERFECT! And your colors are very pretty. :^:

erisian pope on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Went to the SF International Car Show on Saturday. Here are a couple pics. Critiques appreciated!

img0703sp1.jpg
    2009 Nissan GT-R

img0675ua1.jpg
    2009 Nissan GT-R

img0847rn1.jpg
    Unknown Ferrari

fogeyman on
    edited December 2007

I don't like it because, honestly, it's pretty boring. There's no focus. There are too many elements, so nothing stands out. There's no sense of composition.

Yeah, you're right, I only liked the colours, really

Rohan on

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    It's pretty hard to make auto show photos interesting unless you're a gearhead.

bombardier on
    edited December 2007
    Though... that's a Skyline GT-R if I'm not mistaken so that's pretty badass by itself.

altmann on

signature.png
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »
    2009 Nissan GT-R

img0847rn1.jpg

I think the headline in the back is perfect. Haha. I hope I'm not the only one that finds that amusing.

anable on
    edited December 2007
    That is indeed a hilarious backdrop for the Ferrari booth.

I'm looking for crits on this photo of my eleven year old puppy, taken on my brand new Pentax K10D :

2082652615_591268186f.jpg

Dark Moon on
    edited December 2007
    Something wrong with the white balance? Looks incredibly overly warmed. I dig it otherwise.

UnknownSaint on
    edited December 2007
    Looks almost greenish to me.

Although that could just be this monitor, of course.

Sheri on
    edited December 2007
    Looks almost greenish to me.

Although that could just be this monitor, of course.

I do see a hint of green at the bottom.

MKR on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The whole thing looks green to me. I would adjust the white-balance.

erisian pope on
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't trust my Auto white balance much anymore - shotting in raw its not much of an issue but if you took that inside chances are the light was pretty yellow might want to try switching it to Tungsten or Florescent and seeing how that would come out.

Also, and this is just a preference of my own, if you can get a shot with his eyes looking towards you or where you can at least see his eye I think that makes a huge difference in animal shots.

Veritas on
  • doomkindoomkin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    hi, my name is jason and this is my first post.

since i'm a photographer, i figured it'd only be fitting that my first post be here.

trackstand.jpg

photo taken with a nikon d200 w/ 55/1.2. something like 1.2@1/15 1600iso. i foolishly shot it in jpg fine assuming everything from the evening's shoot would be terrible and like luck would have it, it was an incredible night. this'll eventually be printed small, i'm thinking 4x6 on some nice watercolor paper.

this may or may not make it into my bfa show. we'll see...

doomkin on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can we get a slightly higher res on that?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited December 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Can we get a slightly higher res on that?

easy breezy.
    trackstandhires.jpg

as you may have guessed f/1.2 + 1600 iso makes for a pretty mushy image. it's been sharpened a tad so that helps... but i'm thinking about running it through something like alien skin to give the texture a more purposeful look.

edit: image spoilerfied due to size

doomkin on
    edited December 2007
    Jason - wow, what a mood! I love the shot. Was the vignetting added in post-processing, or was that from the lens you used? Was that natural lighting on the street, or did you have something fire from above the frame on the post in the background? I'm usually not a fan of digital noise, but it suits this image quite well. It does seem a bit extreme, though - did you bump the exposure up a lot in post processing, or is the D200 normally that noisy at ISO1600?

In regards to my puppy: Yes, I realize my white balance is not neutral here. I was actually hoping it would produce a sepia-like effect, but after hearing complaints that it's green (eek!) I'm beginning to question the calibration of my Macbook's LCD. I will try to get the colouring a bit more natural and repost.

I actually fought this very same battle earlier on, but gave up, attributing my problems to shooting in a room with exceedingly yellow light and yellow painted walls over a light brown carpet. I will give it one more valiant effort before just correcting it for the green tones some people saw and printing it yellow. Thanks for the suggestions!

Dark Moon on
    edited December 2007
    The vignetting was bumped a tad bit but 85% of it was there in camera. As for the lighting that was all natural, which is why I had to use such an extreme exposure. At higher ISO's the major problem with the D200 (that I've noticed) seems more to be a general loss of sharpness and poorer white balance. The noise in this image, however, was accentuated by the black and white processing. I used CameraRaw's built in HSL/Monotone sliders.
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    Jason - wow, what a mood! I love the shot. Was the vignetting added in post-processing, or was that from the lens you used? Was that natural lighting on the street, or did you have something fire from above the frame on the post in the background? I'm usually not a fan of digital noise, but it suits this image quite well. It does seem a bit extreme, though - did you bump the exposure up a lot in post processing, or is the D200 normally that noisy at ISO1600?

In regards to my puppy: Yes, I realize my white balance is not neutral here. I was actually hoping it would produce a sepia-like effect, but after hearing complaints that it's green (eek!) I'm beginning to question the calibration of my Macbook's LCD. I will try to get the colouring a bit more natural and repost.

I actually fought this very same battle earlier on, but gave up, attributing my problems to shooting in a room with exceedingly yellow light and yellow painted walls over a light brown carpet. I will give it one more valiant effort before just correcting it for the green tones some people saw and printing it yellow. Thanks for the suggestions!

doomkin on
  • CPCP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Went to a friend of a friends who had made a giant ice sculpture in the form of a cylindrical chimney, and then lit a fire inside of it...
    DSC03788.jpg

DSC03783.jpg

DSC03778.jpg

DSC03774.jpg

and some older stuff...
    urban canoing
    DSCF0987Large.jpg
    and one of my friends
    DSC03574.jpg

DSC03550.jpg

crits and coments please

CP on