As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

19495969798100»

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/XTBCU7AxwKo

Captain Cold and Scarecrow confirmed

Which finishes out the leaked roster, I believe

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    So they're Sub-Zero and Scorpion

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I still don't love Scarecrow getting in there and kicking ass

Isn't the whole point of Scarecrow that he's just Evil Timothy Leary and he's not a fighter

Maybe I'm just thinking of Cillian Murphy in the movies, who never met a fight he couldn't try to run away from

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    been reading volume 1 of the secret six after that casualwear etrigan post a bit back sparked my interest

this is a real good time and just stuffed to the fuckin gills with characters. I used to have basically 0 awareness of DC characters beyond the league and the a-listers on batman's rogue gallery, but it's been fun now actually recognizing big swaths of the jerks who show up here after watching the CW shows, teen titans, and reading DC stuff in general

I tried the first trade of it and I wasn't super into it.

Like, it was a solid book, but it seemed to be much more of a comedy book than the original. Which like, don't get me wrong, the original was super funny, but it seemed to be funny because it's got a bunch of funny people in dire circumstances. The new one is more like, look at these comedy characters hanging out together sort of funny. It's like the difference between a Hangover movie and say, Shaun of the Dead.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I agree. I enjoyed the book, but it tried too much to be weird instead of just having weird situations (like the Pre-Flashpoint series)

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow was not a good interpretation of the character.

If they play up his character here by using his fear gas, along with some martial arts, I'll be okay with it.

If they make him a powered-by-fear-god archetype, then, yeah, it's not a good interpretation

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    There was a time in the comics where they had Scarecrow learn Crane Style martial arts (get it?) but it was pretty dumb.

Not as dumb as when he could hulk out into the Scare-Beast though.

Some comic (and TV show writers...looking at you The Batman) needed to learn that not all of Batman's foes needed to be a physical match for him.

• Options
    I'm still guessing he's powered up by some dark magical shit to be the villainous counterbalance to Swamp Thing/Doctor Fate

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oof, that Captain Cold design.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Oof, that Captain Cold design.

I like it.

I think it's my favorite of those four.

I still think that is a very bad looking Bane.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My favorite arc for Scarecrow was when he decided to "get back to basics" by killing people, stuffing them with straw, and putting the bodies in public areas in broad daylight with no one noticing him at all.

No gas, no masks, just straight up murder to generate fear.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    That Bane is one of my favorite Bane designs ever

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think there are some good ideas with that Bane but it is missing something for me still.

My favorite Bane frequently doesn't wear a mask or use venom though, so I'm probably an outlier with some of my preferences.

2228120-7f9p.png

Edit: That said, the physicality and the way that Bane fights in the game feels perfect to me.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    been reading volume 1 of the secret six after that casualwear etrigan post a bit back sparked my interest

this is a real good time and just stuffed to the fuckin gills with characters. I used to have basically 0 awareness of DC characters beyond the league and the a-listers on batman's rogue gallery, but it's been fun now actually recognizing big swaths of the jerks who show up here after watching the CW shows, teen titans, and reading DC stuff in general

Like, it was a solid book, but it seemed to be much more of a comedy book than the original. Which like, don't get me wrong, the original was super funny, but it seemed to be funny because it's got a bunch of funny people in dire circumstances. The new one is more like, look at these comedy characters hanging out together sort of funny. It's like the difference between a Hangover movie and say, Shaun of the Dead.

when you say original, do you mean from the 60s? the one I'm reading right now is gail simone's run that started with villains united in 2005

(your and keith's comments only just now made me realize there might be multiple "volume 1"s)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

when you say original, do you mean from the 60s? the one I'm reading right now is gail simone's run that started with villains united in 2005

(your and keith's comments only just now made me realize there might be multiple "volume 1"s)

Oh! That's the one I meant by the original. It's fantastic, although the ending is a bit sloppy. One of my all time favorite DC comics.

There's also a new one (also by Gail Simone) from a couple of years ago - that's where the casualwear Etrigan comes from - that is a sort of reboot of the one you're currently reading, designed more as a comedy book.

• Options
    Bane 100% needs a lucha mask for me

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.