As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS EXTINCT! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Grobian wrote: »
    Do you get the brawl pack in this one if you brawl vs a friend?

Grobian Unfortunately no. You'll have to slog through the uneducated masses in hopes to find someone who can help you win it.

I've played three games and every game the other guy helped out and we coasted to an easy victory.

Some of you just have terrible luck.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    A lot of these, if not all, are very low res compared to what we've seen before.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »
    Honestly though, none of the cards spoiled so far have excited me. It's a lot of random junk and quests which I think are fundamentally flawed.

Living Mana was one of the few thought provoking cards but came pre-nerfed just in case.

This set has been a major let down so far.

Be honest, unless it's a bear themed set with overpowered druid cards you're disappointed.

I love dinosaurs too! This set should have been a slam dunk with me :/

I don't need overpowered druid cards but I'd love to see them push some boundaries. Mean Streets had me the moment they showed multi-class cards. I was really excited to try hand buff paladin.

The mechanics so far seem to lean on discover too much. I can understand wanting to avoid complexity creep, but I don't see anything that pushes the boundaries of what the game can do in this medium.

There's a wealth of design space here, but we're doing a lot of retreads.

You realize this is modern Blizzard right? Land of polish, not innovation. Given this is basically a "freemium" game, the priority on high is probably to keep the barriers of knowledge/understanding low to continue to drive user expansion and engagement. It means you're chopping off some of the high end, but realistically those people aren't paying big money due to gold income from arena/win cycling.

That's not a wise business choice. Having engagement across your player base leads to greater sales - full stop. Having disappointing sets will lead to revenue loss.

It's not hard either. You can concentrate the complicated cards in the epic and legendary slots.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    MMMig wrote: »
    That druid legendary art is a bit underwhelming.

Like, it's as strong as death wing.
    Why are there mountains that appaer to be taller than it? Or even trees???

Tyrantus has this vacant, confused look on his face as he stares into the sky pondering his own existence.

40Jxf3y.png

"Why am I here? What purpose do I serve?"

HuGlRRE.png?1

"Am I truly destined to rot in mediocrity? Is it my fate to be... inadequate???"

Yes, Tyrantus. The answer is yes.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Shades of philosoraptor

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Wow, I hadn't even noticed the art. It's a... big blue dinosaur.

Great. Cool.

Man, I feel like such a negative nancy this expansion, which I hate because I genuinely love this game. But holy hell I can't remember ever feeling this underwhelmed by the previews. Maybe it's because I favor Druids and Paladins, and so far their offerings have been kinda shyte.

My last sliver of hope is that we're going to see some really crazy shit tomorrow. How many cards are left?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Shades of philosoraptor

He's a Devilsaur, they didn't even draw him correctly, god damn it.

grumble grumble

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Pirate Shaman loses a lot in this expansion right? The answer seems to be Pirate Warrior for the first few days/weeks.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Good. Looks like this thread will finish up today in time for the big reveal tomorrow. As a reminder, let's try to not only upload screengrabs, but text descriptions of the cards for those sneaky work folks that can't get enough of dinosaurs.

That being said, I fully expect about 1/3-1/2 of the revealed cards to be letdowns. The standard filler stuff with boring, yet needed, design.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    We can at least agree that this will probably be a better release than TGT was. I think there were like a dozen cards from it that saw play.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Also QUICK REMINDER on what we're still missing in terms of COOL SHIT:

Warrior:
    - Quest!
    - 1 Epic
    - 1 Rare

Paladin:
    - 1 Epic
    - 1 Rare

Hunter:
    - 2 Epics (PROBABLY 1 DROPS JUSSAYIN)

Shaman:
    - 2 Rares

Rogue:
    - 1 Epic
    - 2 Rares

Druid:
    - Quest!
    - 1 Epic
    - 2 Rares

Mage:
    - Quest!
    - 2 Epics
    - 2 Rares

Priest:
    - Legendary!
    - 1 Rare

Warlock:
    - 2 Epics
    - 2 Rares

Neutral:
    - 2 Legendaries!
    - 5 Epics!!
    - 2 Rares

And none of this was counting commons cuz commons. But they're probably cool too.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Aggro Shaman loses Trogg, Golem, Finley, and Azure Drake. So they will need to replace their non pirate early game and a little midgame/reach.

Pirate Warrior loses only Finley, it will undoubtedly be the strongest deck early on until people start teching for it.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    That's a pretty big chunk of cards. They like to leave the craziest shit for the end of the previews, so there's a good chance we'll see some incredible stuff tomorrow.

Hasn't changed my feelings about the cards up til now. But I'll maintain cautious optimism.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We can at least agree that this will probably be a better release than TGT was. I think there were like a dozen cards from it that saw play.

I haven't seen a dozen cards I think will see actual play yet.

• Options
    wow I actually really hate that legendary. It's like they designed it to be intentionally aggravating.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Aggro Shaman loses Trogg, Golem, Finley, and Azure Drake. So they will need to replace their non pirate early game and a little midgame/reach.

Pirate Warrior loses only Finley, it will undoubtedly be the strongest deck early on until people start teching for it.

Playing devil's advocate here.

Does Pirate Warrior run Golakka Crawler (Hungry Pirate Crab)?

Good for the mirror, and you can eat up your patches if you want to shore up your board against AoE.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options

Good for the mirror, and you can eat up your patches if you want to shore up your board against AoE.

Probably, yes. It's a better 2 drop than Bloodsail Raider.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Good. Looks like this thread will finish up today in time for the big reveal tomorrow. As a reminder, let's try to not only upload screengrabs, but text descriptions of the cards for those sneaky work folks that can't get enough of dinosaurs.

That being said, I fully expect about 1/3-1/2 of the revealed cards to be letdowns. The standard filler stuff with boring, yet needed, design.

I can't help myself... Every time I read the new reveals all I can hear is this song: Walk the Dinosaur

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

It's really important that bloodsail is a pirate for bloodsail cultist.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular

I think I'll swap Finley for him if I can get him in a pack. Maybe swap an Ooze for the new Ooze if I get one?

• Options

It's really important that bloodsail is a pirate for bloodsail cultist.

This is only true if you exactly had coin + winaxe or N'Zoth's First Mate, and Raider in hand, and Cultist in hand, and your weapon lasts until turn 3. Any other series of plays and you aren't curving into Cultist on 3.

In my experience Cultist is much more frequently a turn 4+ play coming down the same turn as another pirate. If you can, you usually hold her until post turn 5/6 so that she comes down on a Reaper.

• Options
    I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that the druid quest is going to be about playing a certain number of beasts. And then when you hit that limit it summons Tyrantus or something equally stupid.

Looking through the list of spoiled cards..Gluttonous Ooze is probably the best card revealed so far in terms of raw power. It may slow down pirates by a turn, which might just be enough to stabilize.

• Options
    The Druid quest is probably to play adapt minions. Which is almost like playing beasts, just with fewer options.

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that the druid quest is going to be about playing a certain number of beasts. And then when you hit that limit it summons Tyrantus or something equally stupid.

Looking through the list of spoiled cards..Gluttonous Ooze is probably the best card revealed so far in terms of raw power. It may slow down pirates by a turn, which might just be enough to stabilize.

I think Tar creeper is a more powerful card against aggro. I think Elise is a very powerful card given how much value you get for 2 mana later in the game for control decks.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options

I think Tar creeper is a more powerful card against aggro. I think Elise is a very powerful card given how much value you get for 2 mana later in the game for control decks.

I've summoned a 7/10 taunt against aggro shaman and pirate warrior on turn 2 and still lost. Destroying a weapon and gaining armor at the same time is far more beneficial than putting high toughness on the board.

• Options

I've summoned a 7/10 taunt against aggro shaman and pirate warrior on turn 2 and still lost. Destroying a weapon and gaining armor at the same time is far more beneficial than putting high toughness on the board.

Yes but how many resources did you need to play to get the 7/10 taunt?

• Options
    I still think Tar Creeper is being super overvalued. 5 health is trivial to go through with weapons/removal.

Glutinous Ooze is the most exciting reveal by a wide margin. More weapon removal is needed, and with added health gain.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

TBH, that's that's the reason why I haven't pre-ordered a bunch of packs this time around. I don't really want to buy 40 odd packs, and most of the cards be useless because of how strong Pirate Warrior currently is, and what with it hardly losing anything.

I've been in games where I've stuck down multiple big taunt minions and they just get run over and I'm dead turn 6.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    I still think Tar Creeper is being super overvalued. 5 health is trivial to go through with weapons/removal.

Glutinous Ooze is the most exciting reveal by a wide margin. More weapon removal is needed, and with added health gain.

Second rate bruiser sees a ton of play, Tar Creeper is similar but can always be played turn 3. "Exciting" of course is your matter of perspective of course. Whatever you enjoy you enjoy. However given there have been aggro decks in non weapon classes (Warlock Zoo, egg druid) Tar Creeper to me has more utility against more decks.

• Options

Second rate bruiser sees a ton of play, Tar Creeper is similar but can always be played turn 3. "Exciting" of course is your matter of perspective of course. Whatever you enjoy you enjoy. However given there have been aggro decks in non weapon classes (Warlock Zoo, egg druid) Tar Creeper to me has more utility against more decks.

Second Rate Bruiser has 4 attack on your turn as well, which is a very important distinction. It can make trades or threaten face damage if it survives.

The problem with Tar Creeper is that it's just a wall, you can't really play proactively with it. It has less utility than a taunt minion that doesn't lose attack on your turn.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The Druid quest is probably to play adapt minions. Which is almost like playing beasts, just with fewer options.

One of the things about the current Quests is that none of them have a requirement to use mechanics specific to this set. It's all generic requirements. Which I think is intended so that in the future expansion they aren't forced into reprinting mechanics solely to continue to enable the current quests.

So I'd put it on Beasts more than Adapt as the requirement.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Holy shit the art in this expansion is so fucking uninspired. Another vaguely grey/brown vaguely T-Rex shaped dinosaur in a completely non-dynamic pose.

Thanks for managing to make dinosaurs bland and uninteresting, Blizzard.

• Options
    The quest will rotate at the same time that the adapt minions do.

• Options

I'd be surprised if they have a quest that only works with one expansion worth of cards, unless they plan on using adapt in future expansions. Seems like it'll be hard to keep that quest relevant as more expansions are released if that's the case

• Options

I'd be surprised if they have a quest that only works with one expansion worth of cards, unless they plan on using adapt in future expansions. Seems like it'll be hard to keep that quest relevant as more expansions are released if that's the case

C'Thun decks never received a single shred of attention in the way of cards after WotOG. Joust and Inspire were likewise abandoned as mechanics after TGT. Discover probably only got more cards after LoE because people went apeshit over how good a mechanic it is (and it is probably the single most interesting mechanic in the game, IMO).

Blizzard doesn't seem to have a problem making a core mechanic for an expansion and then never supporting it again.

• Options

C'Thun and Jade Golems say otherwise.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

It's a bit early to mention Jade Golems I think?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    kime wrote: »

It's a bit early to mention Jade Golems I think?

No Blizzard have been pretty explicit about the fact there will be no more Jade Golem cards.

I'll try dig up a link.

Edit; I definitely read it somewhere but I'm struggling to find it. Will continue to look.

Muffinatron on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Adding more jade cards to a meta where Jade can already easily get fucking oppressive with the cards that exist today would be an awful idea.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Honestly though, none of the cards spoiled so far have excited me. It's a lot of random junk and quests which I think are fundamentally flawed.

Living Mana was one of the few thought provoking cards but came pre-nerfed just in case.

This set has been a major let down so far.

Be honest, unless it's a bear themed set with overpowered druid cards you're disappointed.

I love dinosaurs too! This set should have been a slam dunk with me :/

I don't need overpowered druid cards but I'd love to see them push some boundaries. Mean Streets had me the moment they showed multi-class cards. I was really excited to try hand buff paladin.

The mechanics so far seem to lean on discover too much. I can understand wanting to avoid complexity creep, but I don't see anything that pushes the boundaries of what the game can do in this medium.

There's a wealth of design space here, but we're doing a lot of retreads.

You realize this is modern Blizzard right? Land of polish, not innovation. Given this is basically a "freemium" game, the priority on high is probably to keep the barriers of knowledge/understanding low to continue to drive user expansion and engagement. It means you're chopping off some of the high end, but realistically those people aren't paying big money due to gold income from arena/win cycling.

That's not a wise business choice. Having engagement across your player base leads to greater sales - full stop. Having disappointing sets will lead to revenue loss.

It's not hard either. You can concentrate the complicated cards in the epic and legendary slots.

I don't disagree. It's just that it's clear that modern Blizzard is highly risk-averse with their major properties, which ends up with them strangled by indecision and tepid responses to key issues:
    See:
    SC2 balance
    Diablo 3 launch until end of Auction House
    Hearthstone tuning
    General blahness and time delay of Heroes of the Storm

Early Hearthstone was great because it wasn't expected to be anything so there was a pretty free hand. Now it's in the "committee decision" territory. We all know how THAT goes.