As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[13th Age West Marches] The Adventurers' Guild Thread: Character Creation and Discussion

12346»

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Looks like everyone is in, so I'll write up the thread and get adventure #4 going.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I thought I'd apply since I like 13th age and this is sort of greater world rotational sort of adventuring style interests me, I was curious about your feelings about the Occultist generally. I was considering maybe making an Occultist, partly depending on my rolls, but I was curious whether you would go for the whole occultist being pretty much unique thing or not that it sort of goes for in the book itself

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    In the book, it even says that the Occultist is rare, and that the Occultist only thinks he is the only one, so it could work in this setting. Or maybe the Occultist is part of a cult but is the only one currently with a strong connection to their source of power to pull on it's twisted magics to be the Occultist? That way, if your character dies, others or yourself can make another one.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    That seems fine to me, personally I don't really mind something like that being unique or not I just wondered if you would have wanted to go with something closer to that interpretation, so that if I made one other people after me might not be able to unless my character died, or if they would just be more uncommon than other kinds of magic users.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The Occultist is "meant" to be the only one in the world, but as with everything, it's not a hard line. This is from the Occultist section of 13 True Ways:
    The default rule for classes is that your character is just one of many people with similar powers. The occultist breaks this rule. There is only one occultist, and as we mention in the class features, your one unique thing should account for this somehow. Of course, when I say that there is only one occultist, it should raise the dramatic possibility that the occultist in your campaign is going to someday encounter another one after all. And you’re free to play all the classes your way in your campaign, so if you’d rather make the occultist merely rare rather than unique, I’m not going to stop you.

For a west marches game, it's kind of just whatever you want to go with. I think it's cool to have there only be one at a time, but it's not going to mess anything up if you allowed another person to play the class too if they wanted.

Joshmvii on
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3

6#4d6k3 6 # 16 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 4], 4] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 3], 2] 7 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 1], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 2] 10 [4d6k3=[4, 4, 2], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 4], 1]

Alright here's my character

Brónach Rootstone
    6d5fa4bbef7643a488a64626790dff90.jpg

Brónach is a member of a fairly numerous clan of Halfling bandits, hunters, footpads and druids. Part of a larger outlaw "woodclan" the Rootstone Clan survive through a combination of woodscraft, banditry, and trade with both legitimate and criminal elements of Havenhold. The sight of a Rootstone in Havenhold isn't terribly rare though they are not well regarded due to the fact that they live in the wilds outside of the city and commonly perform banditry on the towns citizens outside of its walls (and sometimes even within its walls) the services and goods they provide are usually enough to allow Rootstone Clan members to enter the town, as long as they don't have an active bounty out on their head of course. The Rootstone Clan are fairly content with their position in the world and so don't consider themselves a part of the Banished's collective, as such while they trade and collude with those aligned with the Banished fairly regularly, they are willing to raid and steal from them every bit as much as Havenhold, which keeps their relationship from becoming too close. The Rootstone's and the other Halfling Outlaw Clans who reside in the woods regularly raid and fight amongst one another, although overall they have decent numbers they are careful not to engage in anything like outright wars that could destroy all of the Clans, instead regularly clashing in skirmishes and duels between champions to settle disputes and sharpen their fighting skills. All of the Outlaw clans are reverent of the forest and revere the Dryad, many Druids come from their ranks and generally fill the role Clerics fill in Havenhold, though they do have some Clerics as well.

Brónach herself is a competent and confident fighter who is regarded proudly in her Clan. Granted the dubious "gift" of the berserker's rages since she was a child, as well as a natural physical aptitude, Brónach was set aside as an obvious candidate for the bandits and warriors of her Clan, she showed great skill with the Falx and some skill with a Javelin, and upon reaching what the Clan's considered adulthood (somewhere in her middle-teens) began participating in interclan skirmishes as well as raids and bandit attacks, on top of protecting the Clan from the various threats ever present in the Wild. Since then Brónach has visited Havenhold a fair amount over the years and made a bit of a name for herself as a strong-arm for those with the coin to pay for her services, The Boss being a particularly common client due to his ready ability and willingness to pay the most disreputable characters good wages for doing what they probably would have been doing anyway, shaking down or intimidating people for money. In the forests Brónach has spent a great deal of time as a partner to the Druids of her Clan, acting as a protector and friend in the woods as they go on their sacred missions deep into the forest, picking up woodlore and some of the secret ways of the wilds from them.