As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Orbfest and Fest banner 2 live! Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Here's a question: How do these Legend Materia that gives a chance to double or triple cast interact with regular material that give a chance at double cast? I've been looking at Y'shtola's Legend Spheres and her second LM from that dive gives her a 35% chance to double cast WHT, and I'm really curious how that (and this Bartz one) work if paired with a regular double cast RM. I had originally thought they would probably just get added together, but with Bartz's being a triple cast option that wouldn't work.

It probably checks them separately, with a priority (guessing LM then RM).

The double cast legend materia you have to dive for checks separately from the RM and you can roll both giving you a small chance to triple cast. Bartz can be stupid OP if you got the right gear, SBs to enable him, and if RNGesus is on your side.

It's a shame that Earth has no Spellblades. Bartz is, I think, better off combining his triplecast LM with his BSB2 (Water Shard's Secret Art), because the Enwater works well with Engulfing Twinstrike.

This is of course assuming that the burst commands aren't strong enough to compensate. Maybe they are.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Having recently got Ingus's earth limit chain on my JP account, as well as all of Gladiolus' relics, I'm really interested in some more earth stuff. And I wouldn't say no to that Faris USB, either.
    Shame I'm just about completely out of mythril. Maybe I can scrounge up some from the realm dungeons...

EDIT: Also worth noting that the FFV event is apparently introducing a 5* earth spellblade ability.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Having recently got Ingus's earth limit chain on my JP account, as well as all of Gladiolus' relics, I'm really interested in some more earth stuff. And I wouldn't say no to that Faris USB, either.
    Shame I'm just about completely out of mythril. Maybe I can scrounge up some from the realm dungeons...

EDIT: Also worth noting that the FFV event is apparently introducing a 5* earth spellblade ability.

Oh, well then. That solves that.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Even with my decent pulls last night, I'd be super happy with Golbez's BSB or Krille's whip, and totally fine with Refia's BSB or Sabin's Armlet.

OSB Stat sticks are always stat sticks, and my V synergy is poop.

That's still four items on this banner I'd be super happy to have, plus two that I'd be totally okay with. I'm sitting on 350 mythril...trying to figure out if I should pull.

• Options
    Oh dang. There's another relic in the new JP FFV event that I forgot to mention.

Bartz USB: 10xST Wind/Water/Earth/Fire attacks. Gain EX Mode "Spellblade Flurry" (ATK+30%, quickcast all, trigger Chase mode when using Spellblade attacks of Wind, Water, Earth, or Fire elements. Spellblade Flurry's Chase Mode attacks are randomly selected between a 2-hit or an 8-hit physical attack, of the same element as the spellblade attack used to trigger it.)

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    If that's anything like Ace's EX-Chase mode, the modifiers were pretty skewed. Something like chance to 74/25/1% chance to do 1/2/13 hit follow-up attacks at .5x modifier.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Haven't gotten much out of the 3 anniversary pulls so far, but I did get Tyro's USB which seems pretty nice.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Enlong wrote: »
    Oh dang. There's another relic in the new JP FFV event that I forgot to mention.

Bartz USB: 10xST Wind/Water/Earth/Fire attacks. Gain EX Mode "Spellblade Flurry" (ATK+30%, quickcast all, trigger Chase mode when using Spellblade attacks of Wind, Water, Earth, or Fire elements. Spellblade Flurry's Chase Mode attacks are randomly selected between a 2-hit or an 8-hit physical attack, of the same element as the spellblade attack used to trigger it.)

Faris's is also pretty crazy: 9 wind/ne hits, imperil wind, atk/mag/mnd breakdown.

Bartz also has a +atk/res command in his new BSB, which is nice

• Options
    Serious, legit question: Squall BSB2.

People seem pretty amped to want it. It's C2 does good damage if you can use C1 4 times consecutively to build it up. C1 is 2 hits at .4x each. So less than normal Attack command damage. C2 though, at full power, unleashes at 8x over 7 hits, with a 25% chance to crit per hit. It's strong, but that build-up time is murder, and I can't help but think that it's not all it's cracked up to be. At least, for normal U++ type content. It'll be great for Torments, mainly. Does the C2 reset after it gets used? I'm sure the reddit community has probably already done the math on it, which is why it's positioned where it is in the grand hierarchy of BSBs, but I just can't help but feel that for the time spent using 4 commands at really substandard damage, you have to get C2 out a couple of times to make up for the lost damage a regular BSB might've been able to push.

And of course, some of these newer BSBs (even before Bartz BSB3) make everything else that came before it look weak.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

People seem pretty amped to want it. It's C2 does good damage if you can use C1 4 times consecutively to build it up. C1 is 2 hits at .4x each. So less than normal Attack command damage. C2 though, at full power, unleashes at 8x over 7 hits, with a 25% chance to crit per hit. It's strong, but that build-up time is murder, and I can't help but think that it's not all it's cracked up to be. At least, for normal U++ type content. It'll be great for Torments, mainly. Does the C2 reset after it gets used? I'm sure the reddit community has probably already done the math on it, which is why it's positioned where it is in the grand hierarchy of BSBs, but I just can't help but feel that for the time spent using 4 commands at really substandard damage, you have to get C2 out a couple of times to make up for the lost damage a regular BSB might've been able to push.

And of course, some of these newer BSBs (even before Bartz BSB3) make everything else that came before it look weak.

Math.

M13aeri.jpg
    For reference, the current strongest en-element combo for physical characters is Kain's BSB with Lightning Dive, of which 5 uses deals 33.9x damage.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Math.

M13aeri.jpg
    For reference, the current strongest en-element combo for physical characters is Kain's BSB with Lightning Dive, of which 5 uses deals 33.9x damage.

Thanks for the reference. I wasn't sure what kind of benchmark to hold it up to otherwise. :P

Surprised at how good it is with Thunder God Mode. The caveat there, of course, is you'd have to RW that effect because starting with the RM means it'll run out before you get to really kick things off with the BSB and four uses of C1.

And when Cloud's USB drops, I'd much rather just use that with a +crit damage SB to skyrocket the damage to the moon.

El Fantastico on

• Options

I think the numbers you have exclude the enElement. So command 1 is 1.2, and command 2 is basically an OSB when fully charged.

• Options
    C2 doesn't remove the junction bonus is the thing. So every extra turn you can squeeze out at the back end after junctioned up is going to be a ton of damage. It does rely on 'finishing' the burst mode though because the huge damage output comes at the end, so yeah, if you're not starting out with it active, or the battle doesn't go a long time, you're not going to see the same amount of damage.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Math.

M13aeri.jpg

Thanks for the reference. I wasn't sure what kind of benchmark to hold it up to otherwise. :P

Surprised at how good it is with Thunder God Mode. The caveat there, of course, is you'd have to RW that effect because starting with the RM means it'll run out before you get to really kick things off with the BSB and four uses of C1.

And when Cloud's USB drops, I'd much rather just use that with a +crit damage SB to skyrocket the damage to the moon.

I think you underestimate the TGM RM a bit. Even if you assume Squall starts with zero bar he should have his BSB up and commands ready to go at or before the 15 second mark. That's 10 more seconds of TGM to capitalize on to get commands out.

Edit - that also assumes he doesn't get hit. One hit and he can be ready to use CMD1 at the 12 second mark.

A duck! on
  • Options
    With TGMode on Cloud during a few fights, I had him use maybe 6 abilities, before the mode ran out. It seemed much shorter than 25 seconds, honestly.

Admittedly, I was trying it against Nemesis (180 version, not the final version) so he might've slowed me and that kind of killed the effect a bit.

Still, how doesn't Cloud's USB outperform every other possible combination of RMs and RW? Even 7 hits at 9999 pales to 7 hits that are capable of breaking 10K, potentially going higher, while the effect is active. You might not be able to get that out in the same amount of time as you would with TGMode, but the fight should be coming to a close soon after you've dealt 100k worth of damage in a single command.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Also, on a crit fix team, you have an increased crit chance for each of those double hits, which may not be as solid as a 4+ hit option, but it would provide a notable incentive.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    TG Mode is pretty good, I need to get that RM still.

Been leveling TGCid slowly, since I figure if I leave him at lower level I can sneak up on banner 4 and steal a saintly excalibur with 100 mythril or less.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I just got this mental image of Elmer Fudd sneaking up on TGC.

• Options
    mercurialchemistermercurialchemister Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Hm. Trying to figure out how to best use Golbez' BSB. Since he can't wrath or anything to generate meter, it's hard to get his tankyness active. I feel like he probably wants Lionheart just to generate meter for when he's in tank mode, but getting him there with some haste is the problem.

I dunno, I wonder if it's worth the effort and if I should just stick with my boring Cid Raines RW teams except replace whatever turd went in my 5th slot of Maria/Tyro/Y'shtola/Onion Knight/Turd with Quistis.

Gaia's Cross/Magic Lure + Lionheart?

• Options
    mercurialchemistermercurialchemister Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    2 MC3s waiting to break Raines and Setzer's caps tomorrow

Today? That timing is just too good.

• Options
    Hm. Trying to figure out how to best use Golbez' BSB. Since he can't wrath or anything to generate meter, it's hard to get his tankyness active. I feel like he probably wants Lionheart just to generate meter for when he's in tank mode, but getting him there with some haste is the problem.

I dunno, I wonder if it's worth the effort and if I should just stick with my boring Cid Raines RW teams except replace whatever turd went in my 5th slot of Maria/Tyro/Y'shtola/Onion Knight/Turd with Quistis.

Gaia's Cross/Magic Lure + Lionheart?

Yea, I was thinking about Gaia Cross or Magic Lure depending on the fight with just a boring Chain-ga in the other spot for filler before he gets burst active. Using both would be a huge damage decrease for the beginning of the fight until he was online, so that would probably not work super great.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    With TGMode on Cloud during a few fights, I had him use maybe 6 abilities, before the mode ran out. It seemed much shorter than 25 seconds, honestly.

Admittedly, I was trying it against Nemesis (180 version, not the final version) so he might've slowed me and that kind of killed the effect a bit.

Still, how doesn't Cloud's USB outperform every other possible combination of RMs and RW? Even 7 hits at 9999 pales to 7 hits that are capable of breaking 10K, potentially going higher, while the effect is active. You might not be able to get that out in the same amount of time as you would with TGMode, but the fight should be coming to a close soon after you've dealt 100k worth of damage in a single command.

I officially have no idea what the thrust of this conversation is at the moment. If it's about which someone (me, in this case) would rather have natively, it's almost certainly Squall's. It does more with one bar than any relic in the game, and still pairs well with a RW of Cloud's USB. If you're going to call in the USB then TGM is even more potent, because the USB only lasts 15 seconds so you gotta make the most of it.

Cloud's USB still needs a strong engine to make it run, and Squall's BSB2 is really high on that list!

A duck! on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

I'm assuming this is at 7pm tonight?

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I'm assuming this is at 7pm tonight?

They come when the FF9 event starts, whenever that is for you.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    It looks like the new earth element spellblade is AOE like the wind one, which is kind of a bummer.

These relics look like a pretty substantial increase in power, though. I guess that sort of stuff is necessary to deal with the Magicite and Full Throttle dungeons though?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    No idea how I missed it, but I also got Refia's glove last night apparently. Must've been tapping too quickly.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    1/11: Sheepsong
    1/11: Bartz OSB

Eh. I guess it's nice to have a native mage shout, plus bolster my really weak V gear, but now I'm basically out of mythril forever and ever, and those weren't the prizes I was looking for on this banner.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    A steak! wrote: »

I officially have no idea what the thrust of this conversation is at the moment. If it's about which someone (me, in this case) would rather have natively, it's almost certainly Squall's. It does more with one bar than any relic in the game, and still pairs well with a RW of Cloud's USB. If you're going to call in the USB then TGM is even more potent, because the USB only lasts 15 seconds so you gotta make the most of it.

Cloud's USB still needs a strong engine to make it run, and Squall's BSB2 is really high on that list!

Originally, it was about whether or not there was quantifiable evidence that Squall's BSB2 was worth it. It is. ArcTangent provided the proof in one easy graph, the numbers speak for themselves. It just sort of drifted from there to how best to make the most of the commands. TGMode RM means more commands in shorter time, pushing the four prelim uses of C1 to get C2 spam going.

I'm still not entirely sold on keeping TGMode as the RM though. I've had numerous fights last longer than that effect. Now I'm curious if it wouldn't be more prudent to use Love's Wake (40% Spellblade) or Truthseeker (30% sword) instead. Ultimately, it doesn't make a huge difference.

Once Cloud USB drops, 50% of the game's characters can become literal machine guns sprinkling 9999+ damage numbers. Does Squall BSB2 even matter anymore? It does, because as you say, a fully charged C2 plus Soldier Mode plus TGMode RM can blow things up real good, as long as that TGMode lasts long enough. By the time you get two full sets of C2 out, most bosses save for the newest, hardest content should be mostly dead. The same could be said for most of the new SBs coming out that all have an attach element and do 8+ hits, though. You're using more SB meter to do it, but it's really no difference in the long run. And it saves me having to pull on a relic for a game/character that I didn't really care that much for. Best thing about Squall is that he's the best looking guy here.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    Not that it will change your opinion, but I think it's three C1 uses to max out C2.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    So for most of March I've had one cold or another. My wife caught something nasty at work and now I've caught it, and I've been out sick all week with a terrible cough and sore throat. Since I haven't been very social this month, my fun money category in YNAB is pretty stacked. So I decided to do what I haven't done in about 15 months; a 3000 gem pull.

8x0dn4g858z9.jpg

Yeah, I'd say that worked out. Dupes on the two Bracers, but I'll take more Bracers for 3 and 6. And something useful for Laguna is nice, and then of course there's THE CLAW. Works for me.

• Options
    Not that it will change your opinion, but I think it's three C1 uses to max out C2.

It doesn't. But I legitimately appreciate being corrected on things I'm wrong about. I've been reading the Enlir spreadsheet command tab all wrong. Thanks. :)

• Options
    Honestly, looking ahead one strong banner for USB abuse is the first banner of the Nabaat FFXIII event. Lightning's USB is 7.1 mod with enlightning, 30% attack, and a Thunder God effect as long as you use lightning abilities. The banner also has Cid's BSB and OSB, and Nabaat's BSB which plays well with Cid.

• Options
    Honestly, looking ahead one strong banner for USB abuse is the first banner of the Nabaat FFXIII event. Lightning's USB is 7.1 mod with enlightning, 30% attack, and a Thunder God effect as long as you use lightning abilities. The banner also has Cid's BSB and OSB, and Nabaat's BSB which plays well with Cid.

How long from now is that? That sounds like a good banner. Not been lucky with Lightning's stuff recently, and another chance at the clawwww is always welcome.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Faris's is also pretty crazy: 9 wind/ne hits, imperil wind, atk/mag/mnd breakdown.

Bartz also has a +atk/res command in his new BSB, which is nice

So Bartz can hit up to 28 times in a turn if you get super lucky. That's got to be fun with LCSB.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017

How long from now is that? That sounds like a good banner. Not been lucky with Lightning's stuff recently, and another chance at the clawwww is always welcome.

Upcoming event ordering
    FF9
    WoFF
    FF3
    FF11
    FFT
    FF12
    FF10
    FF4
    FF8
    FF5
    FF7 -- UCloud/Extremefest
    FF1
    FF6
    FF9
    FF13
    FF12
    FF14
    FF10
    FF0
    FF8
    FF7
    FFB (collab, skipping?)
    FF4
    FF15
    FF11 -- Super (LSB)fest
    FF5

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DaffyddDaffydd Registered User regular
    This month has been a weird experience for me, ffrk-wise. I started playing during the first event, within a month after release, and have been entirely F2P. I've had mediocre to poor relic luck for most of this game, with the notable highlights through November 2016 (Ashe and Sephiroth BSBs) being Boon, SSII, Hymn of the Fayth, Divine Guardian, MG8 and Cleansing Strike. No real damage SBs, no native Shout, almost all of my damage came from abilities.

Suddenly, I have a profusion of options: 15 BSBs, with excellent physical damage and healer options, and respectable magic damage options. Still missing a stacking support BSB, but that's just quibbling. I know that luck doesn't really save up, hide, even out, pay back, etc. But it surely feels that way. I guess I get to try out the other side of this game, in which one can actually pick how one wins a fight, and try out different methods. Scrabbling for every last bit of mitigation and damage was an interesting challenge that's kept me playing for two years. I suppose I'll be finding out if feast is as diverting as famine.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Which of those 10's is Riku USB?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Which of those 10's is Riku USB?

Second. The first is Tidus LSB/Yuna USB, and uh... no real theme or standout at all for the second banner. Secondary character BSBs and Jecht OSB?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I've discovered that I actually kind of prefer hoarding mythril then spending it all, so I'll probably start gathering for Cloud's USB now. Though looking at how long it lasts, I like that it's also pretty easy to just find it as a RW and reap the same benefits as having it native.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Javen wrote: »
    I've discovered that I actually kind of prefer hoarding mythril then spending it all, so I'll probably start gathering for Cloud's USB now. Though looking at how long it lasts, I like that it's also pretty easy to just find it as a RW and reap the same benefits as having it native.

It's much better RW anyway since you can use it with pretty much any enElement, and not just wind. Of course, having both options can make things really silly. The rest of the top of the banner is really good anyway. Zack's LSB is one of the best so far in one of the most common elements, Cloud's BSB2 is obviously great and matches up well with Zack, and Cait Sith's BSB is a very strong support buff with hybrid break commands.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.