As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    So I'm the kind of guy who is still salty about AoS lore wise but I have to ask, did they transfer the Fimir over at all? I've been reading up on them and I have to say I love the the Fimir and am super disappointed they fell by the wayside in Warhammer Fantasy

They at least exist, I'm not sure on the lore, but they released a new resin Fimir model on Forgeworld a few months back, with rules and points for Matched Play. I've heard they are okay, at least?

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    So I'm the kind of guy who is still salty about AoS lore wise but I have to ask, did they transfer the Fimir over at all? I've been reading up on them and I have to say I love the the Fimir and am super disappointed they fell by the wayside in Warhammer Fantasy

They at least exist, I'm not sure on the lore, but they released a new resin Fimir model on Forgeworld a few months back, with rules and points for Matched Play. I've heard they are okay, at least?

If anything this is the perfect chance of retcon of the squick of Fimir.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

The squick? You mean them being largely written out of the lore or something else?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

The squick? You mean them being largely written out of the lore or something else?

Squick is a term used for things that are gross; in this case that the lore states that fimir have no fertile females and reproduce by kidnapping & raping women of other sapient races.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Squick is a term used for things that are gross; in this case that the lore states that fimir have no fertile females and reproduce by kidnapping & raping women of other sapient races.

Ah alright, that's the usage of the term squick I am familiar with but I had never heard that particular lore point so I didn't know what was squicky about them. Honestly that's pretty dumb and probably would have been written out of their lore if they'd been kept up with the rest of the setting at all.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Ah alright, that's the usage of the term squick I am familiar with but I had never heard that particular lore point so I didn't know what was squicky about them. Honestly that's pretty dumb and probably would have been written out of their lore if they'd been kept up with the rest of the setting at all.

Other than that unfortunate aspect, they are kind of interesting as a twist on trolls and chaos beastmen and the like.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Well they're very celtic in a fun fairly unique way, and unlike a lot of other stuff in Warhammer and Fantasy in general aren't just a variation on a common fantasy staple (much as I like Warhammer's take on most fantasy staples)

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Forgeworld version has a bit about them - https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Fimir-Warriors

They exist in AoS, sounds like they might be from the realm of Shadows or Beasts (or both).

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Fimir in AoS are destruction rather than chaos aligned.
    They used to be chaos units right?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Fimir in AoS are destruction rather than chaos aligned.
    They used to be chaos units right?

Sort of. They were a powerful chaos-magic using civilization in ancient times that was largely abandoned by the ruinous powers in favor of corrupting humans, which led to their downfall, and their obscure state in the 'present' of WHFB. They have to contract with daemons or bind them and siphon power away in order to wield their magic, because the gods no longer acknowledge their worship. They're a chaos fringe-element.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

Other than that unfortunate aspect, they are kind of interesting as a twist on trolls and chaos beastmen and the like.

Fortunately looking at the warscroll on forgeworld, they seem to have actually taken that opportunity, because the entry for the banner mentions it was "woven by matriarchs".

• Options
    edited March 2017

Fortunately looking at the warscroll on forgeworld, they seem to have actually taken that opportunity, because the entry for the banner mentions it was "woven by matriarchs".

Hopefully so. In the old canon there were (rarely) female fimir born, but they were exclusively sterile. These female Fimir held important positions in clan politics, but "matriarch" implies maternity and not merely authority or age, so I'd take that to mean they reproduce like a normal species now.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I found this which has some interesting lore information about the Fimir and also a bit of their real world history:

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2014/04/07/bizarre-bestiary-fimir/

He says that the whole kidnapping and rape thing might have been largely responsible for the failure of the model line but I'm not so sure. Oh I think it definitely didn't help, and probably made the decision to move away from them a lot easier, but I think if there hadn't been a miscommunication about the model designs and they had sold well they would have just made the effort to change their lore or at least gloss over it heavily and not ever mention it. I am kind of sad about it since I would have loved for them to survive long enough to have that bit written out as it almost certainly would have, and become a long-term part of the Warhammer world. It also kind of makes me sad that the new models are going for the monstrous size bases, even though they can make them pretty cheap nowadays I wish they'd gone back to their very earliest model design roots and made them orc sized again, I feel like it fits better and honestly it matches up with all of their art a lot more than ogre sized Fimir do.

Oh and this might be the art he mentions but can't find that shows the original inspiration for the Fimir that was taken pretty closely, though I can't be sure:

alan_lee_fomorian.jpg

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I've been playing WFB and 40k for 24 years and before this morning I had never heard of Fimir. I had to look up the history of the models and stuff to even know what they were all about. I guess I started playing when 4th Edition came out though, so it makes sense that I don't know about them. It seems they'd pretty much been cleansed with fire from the setting by then (much like Zoats in 2nd Edition 40k).

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've been in this hobby since 1991. Fimir haven't really been a thing since 1988 and even then they weren't much of a thing.

They've always just been 'those things from HeroQuest' to me.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I just felt like someone told me a terrible family secret, but everyone else already knew about it.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Back then when the Slaan were still lanky guys with long legs and also the the creator race.

Was it between 3rd and 4th edition that they were replaced wih the Old Ones and turned into fat frogs?

• Options
    In 4th they were fat frogs, and I am unfamiliar with long-legged lanky guys.

Jeez guys...what else is hiding in old WFRPG lore that I don't know about? I'm learning so much that is going to go into my D&D game.

• Options
    I think there was even a Blood Bowl Slann miniature.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    They've always just been 'those things from HeroQuest' to me.

To be honest, this is how I tend to think of them too as it was my only real contact with anything to do with fimir up until stumbling across a discussion of the race on some warhammer fan site or forum within the last decade.

I still have HQ lying around somewhere, but I know a bunch of the dice and minis aren't with the box (I was using them for a homebrew game me and two of my friends were trying to come up with in highschool). Never did get any of the expansion boxes when I was a kid. I would totally buy an app or re-release of that to try and play with my nephews when they get old enough, but it would require the involvement of more than just GW to make it happen.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I love that the Fimir are basically Jim Henson puppets. Dudes are 200% Dark Crystal.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Now I want Fimir to come back, without all the rape of course. I dunno there's just something about them I really like. I think part of it is the Lovecraftian, part-human part-otherworldly monster race of ancient long lived beings squatting in the ruins of their own fallen civilization, cast aside by their gods and possessing ancient and terrible knowledge, cavorting in graveyards and misty bogs and making contact with humans and even more unwholesome creatures for their own purposes.

In some ways (kidnapping/rape aside) some variations of their fluff is more gray-area than a lot of Chaos peripheral races, with at least neutral relations with a number of peoples outside their own like the men of Albion and the Dwarfs of the Nordlands. I dunno, there's just a lot of interesting potential for them and honestly it wouldn't be too much of a drastic retcon to just change their reproductive process to make it less offensive and terrible, and the rest of their caste system stuff and everything is fine.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Nealneal wrote: »
    In 4th they were fat frogs, and I am unfamiliar with long-legged lanky guys.

Jeez guys...what else is hiding in old WFRPG lore that I don't know about? I'm learning so much that is going to go into my D&D game.

Old Slann

scan0006.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

Jeez guys...what else is hiding in old WFRPG lore that I don't know about?

Elementals.
    Also lots of chainswords and plasma pistols

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I like how 'Calmecal', 'Huastecan', and 'Pulque' look like they're wearing kids' pajamas.

Edit: sorry, that was in response to the pic Jam Warrior posted above Dayspring's.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

Elementals.

Was that from back in the day when the two settings were in canon one (or at least connected by Chaos in a way acknowledged by canon) and so 40k stuff would like, fall out of Warp holes or could be gifted to Chaos champions?

• Options
    The fact that an entire Frogman army existed before I started playing and I have never seen it before today is a tragedy for me.

I've seen the guns and stuff on beastmen and what not, but assumed that was because of Rogue Trader, not WFB.

Crap! Frogmen were in Rogue Trader too! Awesome Space Froggy Adventurers!

• Options
    The Albion campaign also had 40k "magic" items as rewards at he end of the campaign. I rember High Elves getting a power armour and a Flamer

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I only ever saw 40k beastmen models in the Epic range, where they came part of the Imperial guard (one just had a 2-handed blade, the other a pistol and sword). I never saw any larger scale ones, and I've been collecting GW stuff on and off since 1988.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options

Elementals.

Was that from back in the day when the two settings were in canon one (or at least connected by Chaos in a way acknowledged by canon) and so 40k stuff would like, fall out of Warp holes or could be gifted to Chaos champions?

Yeah, a few of the very old chaos minis had various sci fi weapons.
    SS852089.JPG

• Options
    Now I want Fimir to come back, without all the rape of course. I dunno there's just something about them I really like. I think part of it is the Lovecraftian, part-human part-otherworldly monster race of ancient long lived beings squatting in the ruins of their own fallen civilization, cast aside by their gods and possessing ancient and terrible knowledge, cavorting in graveyards and misty bogs and making contact with humans and even more unwholesome creatures for their own purposes.

In some ways (kidnapping/rape aside) some variations of their fluff is more gray-area than a lot of Chaos peripheral races, with at least neutral relations with a number of peoples outside their own like the men of Albion and the Dwarfs of the Nordlands. I dunno, there's just a lot of interesting potential for them and honestly it wouldn't be too much of a drastic retcon to just change their reproductive process to make it less offensive and terrible, and the rest of their caste system stuff and everything is fine.

If anything, the Age of Sigmar setting would fit them perfectly, AoS feels like it's trying to be "mythic" would be the best way of describing it.

Also if anything you could argue that 40k is even more linked now. Wasn't the assumption that the old world was in the eye or terror? The world fracturing into fragments makes perfect sense in the eye, the way some of the realms are described would fit deamon worlds perfectly.

• Options
    If you're into delving the depths of the old lines then the blog I nabbed that Slann pic from is a good read.

http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The beastman I was thinking of has like a lasgun (Rogue Trader weapons are so weird compared to now) and I believe he was for Imperial Guard. My buddy has one that he treasures.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Fimir occupy the same headspace with Zoats for me

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Fimir occupy the same headspace with Zoats for me

Had you read the linked article above? They have the same genesis. The new boss of GW wanted a unique and marketable monster for Warhammer and he came up with the zoat declaring that unless the rest of them could come up with something better then zoats were in. The design team came up with Fimir to attempt to appease him and both ended up happening.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The fact that an entire Frogman army existed before I started playing and I have never seen it before today is a tragedy for me.

I've seen the guns and stuff on beastmen and what not, but assumed that was because of Rogue Trader, not WFB.

Inquisitor Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

Inquisitor Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars

Damnit, now I'm gonna have that theme song stuck in my head.

...I wonder if I still have the videocassettes, and if they still work.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    IN THE NAME OF THE EMPEROR, LET'S CROAK US SOME TOADS!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott McNeil did voice Deadeye Duck (I knew that cause it's almost the same voice he used for Rattrap in Transformers Beast Wars). He hasn't worked on any WH Fantasy products as far as I know, but he did voice:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War — Lord Bale, Space Marine Sergeant Mattias, Daemon Prince, Sindri Myr, Matiel and Servitors
    • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade - Davian Thule, Chaplain Varnus, Imperial Guardsmen, Heavy Weapons Platoons, Kasrkin Squad, Imperial Guard Vehicle and Daemon Prince
    • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Soulstorm - Basically everyone
    • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Winter Assault — Chaplain Varnus, Imperial Guardsmen, Kasrkin Squad, Heavy Weapons Platoons, Ogryns, Chimeras, Sentinels, Hellhounds, Basilisks and Baneblades
    • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - Chaos Sorcerers
    • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Retribution - Neroth and Sergeant Merrick

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    https://youtu.be/fXxe897bW-A

press release:

LONDON – March 31, 2017 –SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced the next game in the best-selling Total War: WARHAMMER trilogy. Total War: WARHAMMER II will be the second release in an ongoing partnership between globally-acclaimed developer Creative Assembly™ and Games Workshop®, creators of the world-renowned Warhammer® Fantasy Battles tabletop wargame and miniatures.

Total War: WARHAMMER II unveils the mystery-shrouded continents far to the west of The Old World. Featuring four iconic new races from the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world – the High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and a fourth yet to be revealed – players will battle across enchanted isles, bleak hinterlands, treacherous swamps and perilous jungles.

In a Total War campaign like no other, players will struggle for dominion over the ailing Great Vortex that has swirled for millennia above the elven homeland of Ulthuan. Performing a series of arcane rituals, each race must save or disrupt the Vortex according to their motivations – a struggle culminating in a cataclysmic endgame. Territorial conquest is no longer enough… this is a race for control that will define the fate of the world!

Total War: WARHAMMER II will offer hundreds of hours of immersive gameplay in this epic new campaign. Furthermore, a huge combined campaign map featuring the old and new world regions will be available for free shortly after release to players who own both Total War: WARHAMMER I & II.

“Total War: WARHAMMER II represents the next step in our trilogy, our vision for the most incredible fantasy strategy series ever made,” said Game Director, Ian Roxburgh. “The success of the first game has increased our ambition; we’re not only going to deliver a thrilling campaign in the sequel, but also an additional combined campaign, the biggest so far, for owners of both.”

honovere on
This discussion has been closed.