As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spam Block misfiring?

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
Got a spam block warning when trying to post in a thread (see attached, and don't think too hard about the post itself)

Double checked my post activity, and this doesn't seem in line with my recent post activity (see other attached)

Bug? Working as intended by misleading message?

This is from an Android phone using Chrome. Can provide more details as necessary

SUMMARY:
This appears to affect users across multiple platforms, and has been seen in regular posting, editing posts, and PM's.

This appears to be related to a recent commit to the vanilla forums repository:
https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/commit/5dab3798639d65d39793253f61c24804679b244a

A workaround is clearing recent cookies and signing back in if you run into this issue.
NOTE: This will only reset the counter, and you will need to eventually clear cookies/sign back in again.

Grape Ape on

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is anyone else getting this?

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @Henroid is but can't respond here because it's getting spam blocked. :P

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    tabarnak...

Is he on mobile?

• Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Got same issue but in a PM with 1 message in 60 seconds. Can attach screenshot at your request

Edit: attaching screenshot
    2nd edit: editing doesn't appear to trigger it on chrome

Grape Ape on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it's been four minutes since i last attempted a post, so just seeing if i can post at all

i got the block seven minutes after having posted anything at all and since then it seems any attempt to post has retriggered the block, or the block just isn't wearing off

chrome on desktop, not mobile for me

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Right now it's 2 chrome users, mobile or desktop doesn't seem to matter.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I got this once an hour or so ago, I had posted a few times recently, but not within the spam block limits.

Chrome, windows desktop

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    attempting two posts from IE just to see

and it worked?

can I get to five? that's when the block claims to trigger

four

five

apparently not happening in internet explorer on desktop

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just saw the same error, using Mozilla Firefox on my home computer. Let's see if this let's me post now.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    just had it happen in SE, Chrome on a macbook.

occurs on firefox desktop for me as well. Tested in PM with other affected user

Could affected people see if they can replicate it working fine in IE

I reported this to Vanilla already so I'm almost certain it will get fixed by 2019

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Happening to me as well.

I've only made two posts in 5 minutes, but it's saying I've made 5 posts in 60 seconds.

Also on chrome.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    attempting to use IE to see if it fixes the problem.

Was blocked out of posting on Firefox, Chrome and Safari.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    And now to see if another post can be made

SW-4158-3990-6116
    and finally, back to safari...

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Trying to post via safari on my phone again...?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    The limit is five posts a minute already so changing the flood control settings on my end is unlikely to help

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    It just let me post from my phone and on my computer again. Perhaps this was a blip?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Tube wrote: »
    The limit is five posts a minute already so changing the flood control settings on my end is unlikely to help

I don't think it's related to the setting itself. I was able to get a warning after 2 posted messages in PM and the warning message reflected this.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hit it on firefox at work on a desktop.

Edit: Cleared up by swapping to Chrome.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    Yeah this is a Vanilla problem, I don't think browser will make a difference and we'll all just end up picking out patterns from random variance.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Clearing my cache and cookies seems to have cleared it. May have been a coincidence though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah that's what I found, looks like it skips admins entirely, though there's a lot of code to comb through to find what's causing it. Vanilla duders are good they'll find it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Who's still caught up? I'm not seeing anyone in the queue anymore.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I was caught up in this but can now post again it seems!

• testuserVtestuserV Registered User regular
    so the spam block is sending you a warning and then you can still post?

My sig

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I just got this when trying to send a PM (though eventually got it to send). I don't know if that's important.

• testuserVtestuserV Registered User regular
    Let me see if I can trigger this.

My sig

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I experienced this but am now seemingly able to post normally. On Chrome incognito mode, if it matters.

TL DR on
    testuserV wrote: »

No. It blocks as stated.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    testuserV wrote: »

It kept me from posting a scathing burn on Chanus. Scathing I say
    Also on chrome desktop.