As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here goes a thread

guromonsterboyguromonsterboy Registered User regular
Hello, everyone! Thank you for taking the time to look at my thread, you can call me JR, I am from Singapore, and I am committed to improving my art so please take a look and let me know what you think I can do to improve, if anything is wrong with my thread, let me know and I will edit it.

My goal as an artist is to be an illustrator. I want to improve my story-telling skills in my illustrations and designs and also my technical skill in drawing and painting.

I graduated with a local diploma in animation, on the way to possibly going into a degree course this year. I do too much practicing, studies instead of proper illustrations, I feel like I need to change that too.

I have been drawing since I was around 17/18, I started with Betty Edwards book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and moved onto Loomis books and many other books and videos but I still feel I have a lot of problems with how I draw and wish to confront those problems.

I started out really wanting to have a nice realistic painterly style like Andrew Loomis, Craig Mullins, Norman Rockwell, J.C Leyendecker, John Singer Sargent, Alex Ross and I still do in a way but I felt like I was hitting a wall wanting to be too photo-realistic, copying a photo and failing to be photo-realistic really brought me down, instead of interpreting it my own way like those artists I admire.

I also really like anime/eastern style like Granblue Fantasy's art, Pablo Uchida, Kim Jung Gi, etc. I wish to try a blend of the two or really go one way or the other, I am still rather confused about this area. I still wish to have a nice painterly style but I feel like I am too hung up on making my painting like the photo that I back off easily and so felt like an anime style would be better/easier for me. I feel as long as I can be happy with what/how I draw, any style, realistic, cartoony or anime is ok.

I will start with recent stuff, portrait and food studies done with references, I have lost the reference photos but I think any errors can be seen without them.
zizs5yg4fldd.jpg
mq9o1haml5e4.jpg
pflwdaos4dzo.jpg
qqalieykdnyv.jpg
w1bhg2ddek7n.jpg
004vdobaa86c.jpg
9tyvygfdgzre.jpg
z680cwf9zf9k.jpg
obvd3rxehyta.jpg
hsrrd5if72yb.jpg
63sbjb2pmce8.jpg
04rzvggl58yi.jpg
go1fugors6zz.png
y23a78u5mh7u.jpg

Environment/landscape art done with references.
vesx6fxmikh2.jpg
ftbfdjr9q28p.jpg
o4w2dv13phdd.jpg

Part of a Draw 100 challenge I wanted to do for hands, started yesterday.
c4jz1vtmcwnj.jpg

Some recent illustrations with some gore-ish themes, done with no refs.
625n2bh91xe2.jpg
5g0xxt4lhta9.jpg
pen7dspdueu7.jpg

Some sketches and Inktober 2016 stuff.
mnzb28lgy7p5.jpg
2nsa97jen07n.jpg
hdksyezelpb5.jpg

Left two are how I sketch from photos and right two are explorations in how I want to draw from imagination. Still trying to find what I want to do.
cyaa5ktiddop.jpg

Other older master studies, colour and value/comp studies of famous paintings.
1jk0d1c1e5ih.jpg
0srqds4c0gpg.jpg
xer92p85wteu.jpg
vzuqvealpzqr.png
wn00v8ya63de.jpg
b4zevhy8srm5.png
0pfb9e9765bx.jpg

Sorry for the wall of text and probably badly-sized images, thank you for taking the time to read some if not all of it and see my art, I look forward to your feedback, critiques and suggestions. I will try to keep this thread up weekly, taking everyone's suggestions and seeing what I can do over the week.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey JR!

Welcome! Nothing is wrong with your thread, so no worries there.

I have been drawing since I was around 17/18, I started with Betty Edwards book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and moved onto Loomis books and many other books and videos but I still feel I have a lot of problems with how I draw and wish to confront those problems.

I started out really wanting to have a nice realistic painterly style like Andrew Loomis, Craig Mullins, Norman Rockwell, J.C Leyendecker, John Singer Sargent, Alex Ross and I still do in a way but I felt like I was hitting a wall wanting to be too photo-realistic, copying a photo and failing to be photo-realistic really brought me down, instead of interpreting it my own way like those artists I admire.

I also really like anime/eastern style like Granblue Fantasy's art, Pablo Uchida, Kim Jung Gi, etc. I wish to try a blend of the two or really go one way or the other, I am still rather confused about this area. I still wish to have a nice painterly style but I feel like I am too hung up on making my painting like the photo that I back off easily and so felt like an anime style would be better/easier for me. I feel as long as I can be happy with what/how I draw, any style, realistic, cartoony or anime is ok.

Realism is difficult, but the fact that your striving for it despite the frustration is great. All of these names indicate that you are looking at art alot, which is also a really good habit.

I'm guessing your animation program was not very focused on fundamentals, which is pretty common. You might benefit from looking into some online classes. Sometimes more direct feedback helps us break through our hangups, where books and videos never have a hard time changing our perception of what we actually put down on the page. We have a big list of online courses here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196620/online-art-class-reviews-and-masterpost/p1?new=1 its by no means complete, but may help you look at whats out there.

As for your work itself. You seem to have sort of chunky strokes that aren't well blended, but it doesn't seem intentional. I'm curious as to if you are using a very small tablet, and low resolution files when you paint.

When working digitally, in Photoshop or otherwise, you have to work a little to make the tool work for you, which means trying different brushes and working on your settings to get the results that best suit your needs. I made this a while ago:
    19pgso43anor.jpg

Which maybe something to think about. If you want a visible stroke in your work, that's fine, but right now it seems a bit haphazard and messy.

If you are only spending 45minutes to an hour on a study, you may have to consider some longer sessions. To get a truly realistic result might take you a while, and I'd encourage you do do your best to be accurate over being fast. Your paintings all feel like the begging of something and not a finished work, and I think the extra time forcing yourself to refine and observe will better highlight where you need work.

You may want to watch this proko stream on shading:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6LL4qP5z5U

it also has a lot of q&a In it.

Other videos of his would probably help as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLU05hmXyA&t=442s

I'm sure other people have more to say, but I hope that gets you started!

• Options
    Hello Iruka! Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback! Good to know nothing is wrong with the thread, felt like I should have put NSFW in the title because gore and probably eventual nudity, but yeah, hahahah.
    Realism is difficult, but the fact that your striving for it despite the frustration is great. All of these names indicate that you are looking at art alot, which is also a really good habit.

I'm guessing your animation program was not very focused on fundamentals, which is pretty common. You might benefit from looking into some online classes. Sometimes more direct feedback helps us break through our hangups, where books and videos never have a hard time changing our perception of what we actually put down on the page. We have a big list of online courses here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196620/online-art-class-reviews-and-masterpost/p1?new=1 its by no means complete, but may help you look at whats out there.

As for your work itself. You seem to have sort of chunky strokes that aren't well blended, but it doesn't seem intentional. I'm curious as to if you are using a very small tablet, and low resolution files when you paint.

Yeah I am still striving for it, it has been rather frustrating in it's own way. But I definitely feel that at least the grinding for it really pays off in terms of fundamentals and painting in general.

Thank you for the resources! Yeah, direct feedback will probably help more, I was definitely planning to sign up for a 1-year Schoolism or proko course to go alongside my degree course and really get into it rather than just the usual free stuff and the usual Loomis books. For the direct feedback part of like the more expensive Schoolism courses I believe I will get into it in time.

Yeah I really have no idea about those chunky strokes that aren't well blended I really want them gone too, hahahah, I do have a medium size Wacom Bamboo tablet from many years ago but it is sizeable enough to not be a problem and when I paint it is 300dpi I believe? I don't know if it's me trying to resize the image files to make it fit better on a forum page causing it but it should not be, seems like this is a problem that is caused from the very start because of the way I paint or the brush, IDK.
    When working digitally, in Photoshop or otherwise, you have to work a little to make the tool work for you, which means trying different brushes and working on your settings to get the results that best suit your needs. I made this a while ago:

Which maybe something to think about. If you want a visible stroke in your work, that's fine, but right now it seems a bit haphazard and messy.

If you are only spending 45minutes to an hour on a study, you may have to consider some longer sessions. To get a truly realistic result might take you a while, and I'd encourage you do do your best to be accurate over being fast. Your paintings all feel like the begging of something and not a finished work, and I think the extra time forcing yourself to refine and observe will better highlight where you need work.

Hmm, yeah I should go deeper and do something like that I tried to go back to basic round brushes rather than the random one I got that was like from a top digital painter, hard to say if there's any real changes, but I will try to make something like you did to make sure I get the most out of my software.

I am not too sure but I think the visible strokes in my work might me wanting to be like Leyendecker and have that nice layering effect with strokes across the forms but definitely have not got that down yet so it looks not refined or well-thought out.

That's a good point about working longer on a study, I will try to go way past an hour and force myself to really try and power through and observe more properly, I will also make sure I keep the photo for better reference/feedback.

Thank you for the videos! I will make sure to draw alongside them to fully comprehend depth and form which is something I also want to work on now.

For now, I have done these in the past week.

I will leave these un-resized and see how that goes, I want to improve my digital linework too so there's that to look at.

More hands for Draw 100, I broke past a 100 at this point.
    4s3idq8rr06e.jpg
    426vo6x0uadq.jpg
    u6d2kg9af9gk.jpg
    ajxvfaaba8c6.jpg
    vaj66xyjildk.jpg

Another food study with the photo.
    izt1s7bk2p0t.jpg

And progress shots of an illustration I want to do, like I want to do at least one original non-study work per weekly post here. Want to work on digital linework a lot too and anatomy proportions and clothing.
    def6tgdys355.jpg
    kozdw30a8udl.jpg
    sdsy8yeibgba.jpg
    g8kmz6j1nvlq.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

• Options
    Hello again! I will be posting on Sundays weekly now, here's what I have done so far.

So far, I haven't sort out my brush stuff doing those examples yet. I have watched the Proko videos and made notes and I have done a longer study further on in this post.

100+ feet, I decided to change the way I do line quality according to the proko video but only halfway through these, like thinner lighter lines recede, thicker darker lines come forward. Still not resized if need be just let me know.
    chsgrd0aevc2.jpg
    lq9yuu3ckd23.jpg
    c9nzrdvcd1fm.jpg
    bm2dw2k8y577.jpg
    qqww21uog7r1.jpg
    67eb72fkvmgz.jpg
    ldkpawnx0z1f.jpg
    a7vwbkyedcey.jpg
    iw752eo9xp26.jpg

I also tried to apply the same theory to the previous work and improved that.
    noigy0ziaahi.jpg

Here's a longer study I have done, in total around 3-4 hours and the process.
    2a9ip7y3mpfb.jpg
    hrjvh3kyxdqn.jpg
    xk0h6wt6y9rt.jpg
    ik9xw1vrv7kj.jpg

And here's some doodles from imagination trying to get the way I draw heads down better.
    koq12ms5efzd.jpg

I will look at tweaking my brushes and do the examples soon.

Thanks!

• Options
    Hello! Did not get much done this week, started full-time work proper along with evening taekwando classes but here's some stuff.

I tried to test out the brushes I had, I am not too sure what I was actually going for here, I felt not that much difference but I learn about rotating the brush for edge control in digital painting recently so I will try that out more and I found out more about the brushes I had on hand.
    ak8ewfcf0sef.jpg

Here's the illustration I was working on coloured with the line layer one and the one without, still working on it.
    8geskcnw8qf3.jpg
    vkga6vyrc5md.jpg

Here's a study I gave up on and will return to properly another time because I did not do the groundwork proper and so the study did not look like the photo.
    bzqftcwl3vdr.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Hello! I don't subscribe to youtube proper and I only check in on Proko every once in awhile but this new video had me started on doing memory drawings proper.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GOuIgevbHs8

So, basically the first exercise he mentions is looking at something from a certain angle then drawing it from another angle, then turning the studied object to the same angle as the drawing and check the drawing against it.

I only saved the pictures for the latest study I have done. All of my assumptions were wrong, hahaaahah. I assumed/extrapolated based on the front view of the object all the other views/angles for all of these.
    cxd99vinzugp.jpg
    31oqrsjcgkuu.jpg
    qwmgzfi6pvxy.jpg

I also more or less finished up my previous illustration so having something not a study done is nice, I will move on to another illustration instead of noodling away at this same one all the time.
    gpugtohm2yie.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Hi! Felt like I did not do much this week but here's some more memory/projection drawings.
    kz33dvtymhf8.jpg
    v79gflaz3b7p.jpg
    qkzf1mhf5cpy.jpg
    7frrc22k335i.jpg

And a roughly 3 hour including sketch study that I might meddle with more to make it look more like the photo. Used some new brushes for this.
    a1v5rtehj64n.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Hey guys! Didn't get much done outside of work this week but I set some plans into place to get more practice in next week like following Proko's playlist videos of figure drawing and anatomy to get some revision in.

I worked more on the study and I think this is the closest I can make it, I can still see how different it is but I think I got what I needed out of it and I can move on.
    5hsg9yk2onfz.jpg
    vk1bxbvpem8r.jpg

Here's a comparison to last time, I feel like I always make heads too big and too wide and I never catch myself doing it, I will have to remind myself of that in the future.

As I mentioned, I want to set a plan where I follow Proko's playlist and start to rework and revise things so I decided to start and revise the way I draw gesture which is usually very fast and very scribbly and instead try to follow Proko and make them more studious and clean.
    d2m9rukzx9vo.jpg
    3qlfe84l8riy.jpg
    88frtg5ewtvm.jpg
    ryvr78low06u.jpg

Thanks!

guromonsterboy on
  • Options
    mateosjammateosjam Mateo Registered User regular
    It's pretty good. I find it really nice to make drawings that do not really have delimitation.

• Options
    mateosjam wrote: »
    It's pretty good. I find it really nice to make drawings that do not really have delimitation.

Thanks, yeah being more free feels better for me, I am always too structured, lolol.

Here's some more stuff I have done this week/really only today, hahah. Following Proko's playlist.

Gestures
    cbmt4ygai4m3.jpg
    plkv2qkf3siq.jpg

Beans
    9hzlpmpzn21z.jpg
    z7900u7ffbcg.jpg
    z6efe4fis3m0.jpg

And a 30min quick sketch from imagination just to do something other than studies.
    pa9ubdbf0eaz.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    mateosjammateosjam Mateo Registered User regular
    You have a talent to go so fast. I love drawing too but I take like one or two weeks for just one. Just make model will take 3 hours for me. I really have problem with proportions ahah.

• Options
    mateosjam wrote: »
    You have a talent to go so fast. I love drawing too but I take like one or two weeks for just one. Just make model will take 3 hours for me. I really have problem with proportions ahah.

I don't know about me having that talent but I think practice over time helps to get faster, I did have actual figure drawing education/modules in a course before so like I am just building up from there/revising things more proper. I think working on gesture/short poses to practice getting the whole pose fast will help. I also have a problem with proportions at times but continued revision should minimize that problem enough.

Continuing through the Proko Playlist.

Structure: Basic Structure with boxes, cylinders or spheres and drawing animals with that groundwork
    xdg6r513r6hl.jpg
    yc2m25gvm71r.jpg
    4d8afyli7u8p.jpg

Landmarks of the human body.
    upmhf73smd7e.jpg
    2i55wodqevf7.jpg
    o8nbykxowzhh.jpg
    hic1db76iyo8.jpg
    syzy29k6jhsh.jpg
    ecwc7coezcgi.jpg

The robo-bean, building on top of the bean from the previous time.
    s2wkajl0lqv2.jpg

So far it's gesture (use CSI lines more, use less lines), bean, structure (work on boxes), landmarks (remember the bony joints) and robo-bean at least touched upon. Next is Mannequinization of the human body and going back to these topics one more time. Then onto the anatomy playlist I think.

Thanks!

• Options
    LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    I love journey threads in 9 years you'll be a master just like john

• Options
    LegacyGame wrote: »
    I love journey threads in 9 years you'll be a master just like john

Hahahah, I don't know about that, but if that were true, if at the rate I am going right now I will take 9 years, I better draw more, lololol. Draw enough to cut that time in half hopefully.

Here's a look behind the curtain I want to show of how much time I have spent in Photoshop since 29th of December 2016 till now. I recorded this using a work app.
    hex0fmdp16eb.jpg

So like at the rate I am going if it will take 9 years I would want to draw more to reach that level faster or at least to some levels below where it's still of a hire-able quality, hahahaha.

Regardless, doesn't feel right doing a post without art so the 21mins I spent today is on these robo-beans.
    vd1tq1fl5x1w.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Hello! Didn't get too much done this week, Dark Souls 3 DLC hit me pretty hard ahahah.

Mannequinization stuff
    1rji62om81jv.jpg
    yrdfi30vdq6d.jpg

And majority of the 4 hours I spent in Photoshop today was trying to make this look like the colleague I am painting this for.
    2301znigekz7.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Hello!

Got more mannequinization stuff done and also found the option only in the last few to make my brush size pressure sensitive so I can control my lines better, hahah.
    mm7lb64wsv0f.jpg
    vlvphz8inkq8.jpg
    7uhkaxq4mmiy.jpg
    o7hlh73z5twq.jpg
    8oxtcmbagsf5.jpg
    g4jrnu051b4k.jpg

Also quickly painted out something to not only keep doing studies from photos still a WIP
    zchvo5b1c940.jpg
    l6d6wgmr6072.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Hello!

Did some more work on this illustration from the last time.
    yt0y2qrdu2ev.jpg

Painted and sketched something else.
    14hqdd1rmss2.jpg
    d8kpfc70kc4r.jpg

Lost where I was at regarding photo reference with the mannequinization stuff so some overlap with the previous stuff.
    oz8qvtpfs8po.jpg
    b2herhiii74y.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Hello!

Did not manage to draw at all this week except today so just 3 mannequinization images, will start on Proko's anatomy playlist proper tomorrow.
    bh8r0u7cc018.jpg
    u211npj836v8.jpg
    d146a863jlbc.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Hello!

Managed to do quite a few things this week following Proko's video playlist.

Simplification of joints.
    w198r0awj8km.jpg

Pelvis studies.
    x5ap19axruai.jpg

Spine studies.
    manabxkm2y44.jpg
    bduk1qg2tez1.jpg
    cirxqm5k9tl8.jpg

Rib-cage, spine and pelvis studies.
    e8nsehs53nak.jpg
    j2k7gtgbkyc6.jpg
    a264unod063d.jpg
    7sxukqn1uwis.jpg
    2ouocqgbmz9l.jpg

Scapula studies.
    2l84so3hpssz.jpg
    kqv95922yrkn.jpg
    02rw3xlz5f2w.jpg

Pecs invention and trace-over.
    biqaxzwn2e8u.jpg
    4hvi3bjt81gf.jpg

I will work on having more confident/clean lines next time I do studies, as I uploaded these look pretty rough up-close. As I never bothered to zoom-in and clean it up or do it confidently/less messily in the first place.

Thanks!

guromonsterboy on
  • Options
    Your trucking right along. The cleaner lines have a cascading effect where, the more controll you have, and the more you think about each individual mark, the easier it is to see mistakes as they happen.

Some of these are too messy to really crit thoroughly, slowing down and resolving any perspective and porportion issues is probably a worthwhile endeavor. Doing 5 accurate drawings way slower generally sticks with me more than trying to do 20 drawings way fast. Unless you are doing gestures, dont rush the process.

Make sure you are watching his critique videos, too.

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    i really like those anatomy studies, those will propel you nicely into some sick character work.

• Options
    Hello!

Sorry to say I have nothing to post for this week/(for me) last week, I had a university interview then got food poisoning after for the better half of the week, hahahah. I will have something this week though.
    Iruka wrote: »
    Your trucking right along. The cleaner lines have a cascading effect where, the more controll you have, and the more you think about each individual mark, the easier it is to see mistakes as they happen.

Some of these are too messy to really crit thoroughly, slowing down and resolving any perspective and porportion issues is probably a worthwhile endeavor. Doing 5 accurate drawings way slower generally sticks with me more than trying to do 20 drawings way fast. Unless you are doing gestures, dont rush the process.

Make sure you are watching his critique videos, too.

Thanks, Iruka! Yeah I also tend to not bother zooming in and just really roughing it in and calling it done cause it looks good zoomed out and decide to move on with the videos more quickly, I will slow down and do more accurate slow drawings rather than doing them fast or loosely instead.

I will watch and draw along his critique videos as well!
    i really like those anatomy studies, those will propel you nicely into some sick character work.

Thanks, SeveredHead! I am falling into the only doing studies and not illustrate anything trap again but I hope when I get back into it, it will help me draw stuff from my imagination more easily.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    its good, i cringe when i see the stuff i was making before learning more anatomy, massive heads, small legs, weird shit man.

even using some reference when you do character work can really help, i put a naked person (with a similiar body type of the character im doing) on my reference page just so my dumb brain doesn't forget how bodies are supposed to look.

SeveredHead on
  • Options
    its good, i cringe when i see the stuff i was making before learning more anatomy, massive heads, small legs, weird shit man.

even using some reference when you do character work can really help, i put a naked person (with a similiar body type of the character im doing) on my reference page just so my dumb brain doesn't forget how bodies are supposed to look.

Ahh, yeah I can see your point. I will see if I can build up a reference library of different body types for reference.

Here are some technically older stuff from the Proko playlist, focusing on drawing breasts from last week just before the food poisoning, hahah.
    yx3k065d53ru.jpg
    b06bm21oh3pz.jpg
    g1hvw9cfbhjc.jpg

Here's a revision run-down after watching the critique videos, so mostly the same as the last post with hopefully better line quality I will compare across and see how I can continue onward with the Proko playlist.

Spine
    exmku05ot6yd.jpg

Pelvis
    tmndxr0pe63k.jpg

From imagination, quite a few problems here, I will have to revise pelvis anatomy.
    o15p0jye9qtc.jpg

Rib-cage
    5j9edyuy3t7a.jpg
    rkmvvmaov1t4.jpg
    eit2kx5r01ml.jpg
    n631rbfmiska.jpg

Shoulder bones
    pl82c6k38m78.jpg
    c8ez7iogj7ua.jpg
    r2hrkrdoza1l.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Hello!

Here are some more stuff I have done.

Abs
    39nz0l73k2qo.jpg
    wyiutn9z9n3h.jpg

Abs from photos
    gpcy0h3w4hod.jpg
    zs8bhqb1k70a.jpg
    ridrnol8s3tf.jpg
    0cnrm3k2u7ew.jpg
    utzzfj40wg0q.jpg

Obliques
    ms7h2au1xp5a.jpg
    1dwi1rtwdhhr.jpg
    24mmpooe9lgf.jpg
    hnsra4xvv4lm.jpg
    42esslxp2328.jpg
    5xbksm8zdc19.jpg

Shoulder muscles purely from invention/imagination
    6e019acqxtlh.jpg

Revision of the studies focusing on the breasts after watching the critique video
    6gozoxndy368.jpg
    fzkg0tb6ahal.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Hello! Sorry, I forgot to upload the past two days, was busy with other things.

Lower Back:
    y2jy2g9sc0ii.jpg
    3agb2uwq8x7v.jpg
    4buit0kweevr.jpg
    bf0lsm29z77q.jpg

Upper Back:
    g5efdrrzq8sm.jpg
    2qld1q4bjdo7.jpg
    t8a7mbmb65un.jpg

Neck:
    4kcch4699o7m.jpg
    u4zpx7aj8u99.jpg

• Options
    Hey @guromonsterboy, remember to resize your stuff before it hits the forum, your images are huge and it makes this page a pain to load. Images still load in spoilers, also it makes it hard to take in anything when they dont fit on the page. 1000x1000 is generally large enough for anything for the forums.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Hey @guromonsterboy, remember to resize your stuff before it hits the forum, your images are huge and it makes this page a pain to load. Images still load in spoilers, also it makes it hard to take in anything when they dont fit on the page. 1000x1000 is generally large enough for anything for the forums.

Hey @Iruka, I resized in my first ever post here but I stopped with the second post and asked if that's ok if not let me know? But had no reply so I just saved it at A4 canvas size for everything till now, also nobody actually said anything till now even though I haven't resized for like every post since the second one which would be like around 17 posts by now so I assumed it was fine? Reading back I also had trouble resizing while maintaining quality. So sorry about that but thanks for letting me know though, better now than later I guess.

I didn't get much done last week, settling Degree Course acceptance paperwork and bank loans. I also don't know at what size I should resize without losing quality and still compile lots of drawings together because when I zoom in onto these, they get pixelated fast? I saved for web at maximum quality jpeg with height 1000 px.

Arm bone tracing
    w7k6k9kr4rk4.jpg
    9xi4jhiqch54.jpg

Hand Bones
    bo9fw3xd9dqi.jpg
    qmdkp6gvm72p.jpg

Thanks!

guromonsterboy on
  • Options
    Hello!

I didn't post last week because I was preparing for a week long army reservist period which was last week so I am sort of combining two unproductive weeks together.

Arm muscles
    elur65fawzqf.jpg
    pescuuxldjee.jpg
    pm5hchcvkyfk.jpg
    ytt43n4kk8ft.jpg
    br05k3v37pkw.jpg
    5z8h8nlgvnxh.jpg
    669mqpyjur7m.jpg
    lgs04tqhuy0z.jpg

Hands with hand bones only reference
    47g90ukrmygz.jpg
    19javtf30pdp.jpg

Hands from imagination.
    kzjwmb8e84xl.jpg
    yg57sqkruljg.jpg

All resized do let me know if it's resized wrongly! With these I have hit the end of Proko's playlist so I am going to rehash everything and also move onto more fundamental painting exercises.

Thanks.

• Options
    The resizing helps a ton, thanks!

These last sketches both show a lot of promise and some major pitfalls, mostly in proportion and structure. The last image, for instance, seems to lack a palm that's properly sized for those massive fingers. A little more time spent measuring and observing will probably help.

• Options
    The resizing helps a ton, thanks!

These last sketches both show a lot of promise and some major pitfalls, mostly in proportion and structure. The last image, for instance, seems to lack a palm that's properly sized for those massive fingers. A little more time spent measuring and observing will probably help.

Ok! I know to resize to that size now and I have all the old images so when I have the time, I can go back in and edit all the old posts too to make the thread better.

The last batch of sketches were all from imagination but I did ended up looking at my own hand from time to time so I will take note of that. Thanks!

Hands from reference.
    g3id3863ceec.jpg
    jc3p54oxjnbl.jpg
    yys4agktm0d1.jpg
    tqs8oi2vc93w.jpg

Grey-scale painting from reference, roughly 15 mins each.
    ft2438nexete.jpg
    5yhiin6mz0da.jpg

• Options
    Hello!

I have more greyscale stuff done, tried to go back to more fundamental stuff to do a once over.

Arms with reference
    ionopmw9a1rd.jpg

Heads with reference
    8znfahcubgns.jpg
    w9wnvfxddcci.jpg

Still life with reference
    3jhqx5hxiddc.jpg
    5xasml96eglm.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    turn up the contrast on those yo, but yah man keep it up

• Options
    turn up the contrast on those yo, but yah man keep it up

Ok! Thanks!

Did more monochromatic studies of metal, glass and ceramics.
    38nzwt75h9b8.jpg
    y49y56beye4k.jpg
    9bsmjw8ykya6.jpg

Thanks!

• Options
    Forgot to post on Monday this week, hahahah.

Monochromatic still life
    zgao8oad7ckp.jpg
    f5bfkhi47837.jpg
    6pofxfk7jy8c.jpg

And coloured portraits
    43jycc9fovnf.jpg
    dq6rp2ggpx76.jpg

Thanks!