As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Stealing Hearts & Streams

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I mean, I find the inability to take screenshots exceptionally obnoxious mostly because I use screenshots to remember things on occasion. In a game like this with multiple choices each game day, it would be basically the PERFECT GAME for fucking screenshots. I feel like ATLUS are jackasses for this.

I have no interest in streaming or sharing anything. I just want a record of certain things as I play and don't want to pull out a spiral notebook or whatever.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I am so happy right now

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    As someone trying to write an article on this game right now, I would love to be able to just take screenshots and maybe like 5 minutes of gameplay for it.

It just sort of seems lazy, I know you want to avoid spoilers but maybe just turn off the share button for those scenes and the anime cutscenes?

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    SMT hasn't been about grinding for a long time now. Usually the game punish you hard but get way easier once you figure out the combat.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    SMT hasn't been about grinding for a long time now. Usually the game punish you hard but get way easier once you figure out the combat.

I don't remember how Persona 4 Golden did it, but wasn't P3 like this:

Normal Difficulty: Compendium cost = 1x, damage to your party = 1x, enemy defense = 1x
    Hard Difficulty: Compendium cost = 4x, damage to your party = 2x, enemy defense = 2x
    Fuckeroonie Difficulty: Compendium cost = 9x, damage to your party = 4x, enemy defense = 4x

Or something along those lines?

The increased compendium cost = massive grind = no thank you, ma'am.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Give me a fucking break, Atlus.

Its 2017, lets plays and streams are a thing, they help sell your game just like good reviews can. They'll piss off more people than they will protect sales by doing this.

I don't think they're trying to protect sales in any way, just to protect peoples' experience...

in the most ham-fisted, ineffective style imaginable.

I'm curious to see if it's Atlus setting these draconian policies, or if it's Sega. We already know it's​ the Japan side making the mistake, but I'd bet money this is Sega's doing. They have a history of Copyright takedown bullshit.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    As someone trying to write an article on this game right now, I would love to be able to just take screenshots and maybe like 5 minutes of gameplay for it.

It just sort of seems lazy, I know you want to avoid spoilers but maybe just turn off the share button for those scenes and the anime cutscenes?

The "spoilers" excuse is a poor cover for what the true nature of Atlus's beef with streaming/sharing is. Their reasoning is that the story is the reason why people play the game (see P4A with its half-hour dialogue scenes between fighting game rounds), and that sharing the story takes away potential customers. Previous games merely pleaded with players not to spoil/share too much (P4G / Catherine / P4A / P4Q), but now with the actual ability to clamp down on most people's ability to share things? Ha.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

The "spoilers" excuse is a poor cover for what the true nature of Atlus's beef with streaming/sharing is. Their reasoning is that the story is the reason why people play the game (see P4A with its half-hour dialogue scenes between fighting game rounds), and that sharing the story takes away potential customers. Previous games merely pleaded with players not to spoil/share too much (P4G / Catherine / P4A / P4Q), but now with the actual ability to clamp down on most people's ability to share things? Ha.

But here's the thing. I have to wonder if Atlus/Sega has a leg to stand on regarding this. YouTube and Google are going to go on the side of 'if you own the game, you post whatever content you want'. I can't imagine Twitch being much different. Like people said, this is a temp solution at best before the video sites go 'LOLNO' at Atlus Japan and it's business as usual.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

i absolutely do not play the game for the story and i doubt most others do for that alone as well. the gameplay is straight up fun.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I want to enjoy the story.

I also think Altus' problem is just a complete non understanding of gaming culture around let's plays and streaming and that they do increase interest in games.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Persona 4 literally owes a bunch of its western success to a Let's Play

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I feel bad for the people at Atlus US who are just doing what Atlus JP tells them to do. Probably why some of them jumped ship.

wVEsyIc.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I feel bad for the people at Atlus US who are just doing what Atlus JP tells them to do. Probably why some of them jumped ship.

Including one of their best editors.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I know I bought P4G (and a Vita) because of someone playing the game. Looked like a fun RPG for long commutes. I give this overly restrictive policy like a week tops. I've gotten into so many games by browsing what people were streaming on the PS4; looking at it right now. . .there ae 40 poor souls "streaming." If you checked out streaming as a means of seeing what was hot, you'd probably ask "The hell is this game. . .pass." Horizon Zero Dawn was in the Top 5 for days, is also story heavy and guess what, didn't have a massive dip in sales. I mean how many Visual Novels get sold based on LP's? So silly. What should have been a victory lap is now a sprained ankle at the Gatorade Stand.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So I just started P5, and so far every single character is insufferable.
    The guy has a record. Fine, but even people who seem to actually know what happened are being such unrepentant douchenozzles about it that it's taking me out of the game. I am struggling to believe that not a single person would empathize with your situation, but instead all anyone can talk about is how you're burdening them and how you're one mistake away from ruin.

I am fairly confident it gets better, but wow was this an irritating first impression.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    So is hard not worth it? I've been doing okay on it or a while now, just got to the point where I can start fusing stuff.

But it sounds like that's where exactly where a bunch of people got fed up with it?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    The guy has a record. Fine, but even people who seem to actually know what happened are being such unrepentant douchenozzles about it that it's taking me out of the game. I am struggling to believe that not a single person would empathize with your situation, but instead all anyone can talk about is how you're burdening them and how you're one mistake away from ruin.

I am fairly confident it gets better, but wow was this an irritating first impression.

This is a pretty fairly common trope in Japanese shonen literature. The "mysterious transfer student." It's also how most of these games have started.
    So is hard not worth it? I've been doing okay on it or a while now, just got to the point where I can start fusing stuff.

But it sounds like that's where exactly where a bunch of people got fed up with it?

Your milieage may vary. I found it too much; PG4 didn't have this kind of difficulty spike; that combined with the camera controls wasn't working for me, so I just said fuck it. Normal has enough challenge for me at this point.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Anne's piqued my interest so far, she reminds me a LOT of Lisa(besides the obvious reasons).

wVEsyIc.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

It's mainly Japan(possibly just anime) logic at work more than anything.
    It's a very extreme end of the "don't rock the boat" societal thing Japan has going on.

In the west, you would be hailed as a hero and the dude would have likely been laughed out of court and back into his cell.

If there's a reason it's hard to believe it's partially because of a bit of a clash of cultures at work, though a lot of it I do think is mainly to just try to goad the player into legit resenting everyone by surrounding you with complete douchebags.

Mind you, this is just early impressions. There may be(read: probably is) more to the story later on.

...yikes, when did we hit 100?

wVEsyIc.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    just about to finish second dungeon, about 15 hours in

(for anyone who wants to do a 100% run first time though)

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
    Maz- wrote: »
    The shape of the principal's head weirds me out.

Now that I think about it, he looks like a blob of silly putty with a face.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

i absolutely do not play the game for the story and i doubt most others do for that alone as well. the gameplay is straight up fun.

I am not arguing about what the actual reason people have for playing may be, just what Atlus JP believes the reason is.

Going from "please don't share gameplay video" to "I won't let you share gameplay video" is not a huge leap for them, especially when there's a way to disable the easiest way to do so. Not that it does anything to prevent streaming by anyone who had the ability to stream any those other games anyway (i.e., capture cards and PC). It's them being controlling, self-important knobs just because they can, and I feel sorry for the PR staff and anyone who answers a phone at Atlus USA because of this boneheaded decision by the upper management.
    Catherine
    2295892-catherinespoilerwarning_18749_screen.jpg

PQ
    PQ-Spoiler-Warning-720x340.png

P4A
    P4AU-Spoiler-Warning-320x320.jpg

P4DAN
    Margaret-Curse.jpg

P5
    Persona-5-Spoiler-Warning.jpg

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

It's a very extreme end of the "don't rock the boat" societal thing Japan has going on.

In the west, you would be hailed as a hero and the dude would have likely been laughed out of court and back into his cell.

If there's a reason it's hard to believe it's partially because of a bit of a clash of cultures at work, though a lot of it I do think is mainly to just try to goad the player into legit resenting everyone by surrounding you with complete douchebags.

Mind you, this is just early impressions. There may be(read: probably is) more to the story later on.
    You're right but it's very heavily implied early on that the guy he stopped is likely very rich and well connected. In the west he likely wouldn't have gone to jail either. It's definitely an extreme end of things but it's not that far out there.

On the other hand, the constant "don't mess up or we're kicking you out!" every 10 seconds or so is my main complaint. Okay, I get it!

Kyanilis wrote: »

You're right but it's very heavily implied early on that the guy he stopped is likely very rich and well connected. In the west he likely wouldn't have gone to jail either. It's definitely an extreme end of things but it's not that far out there.

On the other hand, the constant "don't mess up or we're kicking you out!" every 10 seconds or so is my main complaint. Okay, I get it!

Yeah but on the other hand
    He was trying to drunkenly force a girl into his car.

Even if you could somehow finagle your way out of jail time with that scenario, the tabloid media would have at the very least hounded you out of your career.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Yeah but on the other hand
    He was trying to drunkenly force a girl into his car.

Even if you could somehow finagle your way out of jail time with that scenario, the tabloid media would have at the very least hounded you out of your career.

On my phone, but first example under notable events
    Plus there is a reason the rumour is so bad and spread so widely

Kelor on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Does anyone know the total number of locked chests in the first dungeon?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    ...yikes, when did we hit 100?

Get to work on that fresh new thread!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Does anyone know the total number of locked chests in the first dungeon?[/]

I've run into three at the halfway mark so for. I spent two evenings making lock picks so I've got a healthy buffer.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Kelor wrote: »

I've run into three at the halfway mark so for. I spent two evenings making lock picks so I've got a healthy buffer.

Three? Damn, I'm at the same spot and only found two so far.

Also, what's the cheapest option you guys have found for restoring HP and SP? The bread being sold near the school's entrance that heals 20 HP is pretty cheap. I haven't really found something similar for SP yet, unless you count the vending machine drinks.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I like how much quicker this drops you into the action than 3 or 4 did. And the party fills out quicker too.

Got my first game over because miniboss is all "surprise!" and hits like a truck to the whole party. That was annoying... and I can't have been underleveled since I'd massacred the joint.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Anne's piqued my interest so far, she reminds me a LOT of Lisa(besides the obvious reasons).

I liked Ann but she quickly solidified as "never in my fucking party again" with that damn outfit

Kelor wrote: »

Three? Damn, I'm at the same spot and only found two so far.

Also, what's the cheapest option you guys have found for restoring HP and SP? The bread being sold near the school's entrance that heals 20 HP is pretty cheap. I haven't really found something similar for SP yet, unless you count the vending machine drinks.

I clean out the vending machines for SP whenever I go past. They're pretty cheap but run out of stock.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Vending machines refill weekly. sp items are rare until you
    start making coffee and level up the death confidant. she starts selling invigorate accessories and at rank 7 she halves her prices

save money (5k per) for sundays where you can buy a stat boosting drink at the subway

dungeon 1 spoiler

you can finish the first dungeon (up to a point) on your first endeavor if you try hard enough. you can also save at a safe spot, reload which will repopulate enemies so you can rush grind easy mobs

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
    Thoughts as of 4/13:

-As slick as the menus are(VERY), I wish they'd given similar flair to the rest of the party, like FFXIII did. It'd be cool if Morgana or Ryuji had their own character-specific animations when you go to their gear.
    -I like that the protagonist feels like a character. Not 'you feel sleepy' but 'I feel sleepy', etc. He has his own thoughts and things more as well.
    -Massive Persona 2 vibes, like the whole world and the school really is corrupt.
    -The music makes me think of the Raidou games, similar jazzy vibe.
    -Seems like they're shying away from the SMT demonary names. 'Two-horned beast' and 'guard captain' my foot, I know a Bicorn and Eligor when I see one.
    -I almost feel like Igor should have been a new character. He seems really different, especially because of the voice.

wVEsyIc.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Don't know if anyone else is playing it this way, but I'm playing it via Remote Play over my wired LAN on my PC, and it's been perfect so far.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Thoughts as of 4/13:

-As slick as the menus are(VERY), I wish they'd given similar flair to the rest of the party, like FFXIII did. It'd be cool if Morgana or Ryuji had their own character-specific animations when you go to their gear.
    -I like that the protagonist feels like a character. Not 'you feel sleepy' but 'I feel sleepy', etc. He has his own thoughts and things more as well.
    -Massive Persona 2 vibes, like the whole world and the school really is corrupt.
    -Seems like they're shying away from the SMT demonary names. 'Two-horned beast' and 'guard captain' my foot, I know a Bicorn and Eligor when I see one.
    -I almost feel like Igor should have been a new character. He seems really different, especially because of the voice.

Eh, it does the same thing for Pixie.

And then you get Pixie as a persona (I mean, this can't be spoilers... Pixie is the first thing you get in every SMT game ever, as the tutorial)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Thoughts as of 4/13:

Eh, it does the same thing for Pixie.

And then you get Pixie as a persona (I mean, this can't be spoilers... Pixie is the first thing you get in every SMT game ever, as the tutorial)

The new voice is perfectly appropriate, if you had never heard the original.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Thoughts as of 4/13:

The demon names are revealed once you get them to join you/fuse them, as best I can tell.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The tower part of Komoshida's Palace is kicking my ass. I might drop down to easy.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.