As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Expendables is pretty blah, except for that entertainingly weird Mickey Rourke monologue. The real crime wasn't the casting but just how the film wasn't anywhere near as good as the good 80s action movies it wanted to remind you of. When your 80s action star team-up film isn't in the top quarter of any of their filmographies, you done screwed up.

That monologue seemed completely out of place when you take into account the tone of rest of the film; one of my friends was in tears of laughter at how serious it was trying to be.

PSN Fleety2009
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Saw Boss Bay. The previews were funny, but I did not expect it to be as funny as it was. It was fucking hilarious. The jokes came fast and furious. Alec Baldwin was fantastic. The kid voice actor was good.* It's a bizarre plot but somehow it works. There was even a great chase scene! Overall I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

*Fun Fact: The actor is Miles Christopher Bakshi, grandson of animation legend Ralph Bakshi.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie (HBO) was a good revival, but nowhere near as perfect as Alan Partridge Alpha Papa. Better than I expected when I saw the trailer though.

There's a haphazard plot here with Eddy finally being cut off from her ex husband and trying to get Kate Moss to be in her faltering PR firm, only to knock her into the Thames at one of Patsy's parties. The two are now public enemy #1 and look to flee the country while they continue to make Saffy be in the show even though no one has ever liked her ever ever only now with teenage daughter shoehorned into the movie. And Robert Webb is here and boy did Jezza lose a lot of hair in the back.

You've got the usual celebrity cameos and pissing on the fashion industry (Huki Muki FTW) and Joanna Lumley is fantastic as always, she is what Meryl Streep wishes she could be. Saunders is a bit wonky because you know how this is going to go, since you basically get the climax 30 minutes into the film and have to keep waiting for the forced revelation of taking people for granted, the errors of the lavish lifestyle, etc. and so you have absurdity clashing with attempts at the feels that only succeeds because Lumley is with her in the scenes and nails the humor.

If you liked the show, you'll like the movie. Moves fast in the beginning, slow at the end, with some weird use of greenscreen and CGI in areas that I can't quite understand. If you've never seen the show, you should be able to get some laughs out of it if you at least know some british stars. It's sort of what Zoolander would be if the protagonist was a female version of Maury Ballstein.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    San Andreas sure was a movie. It's a roller coaster ride, where everything is possible and the stupid things that happen are done so amazingly you just go along with it because it's engaging.

The casting was pretty good all round. Dwayne Johnson is magnificent, being an action hero of the 80's sort (pre-John McClane - if this was made in the 80's Schwartneggar would have played this role). He's charismatic, his performance is solid and he takes the role seriously but not too seriously. In retrospect, this is his audition for Baywatch.

Carla Guigino plays his ex-wife, she does ok not that the role gives her much to work with. Their conflicted relationship is written and performed adequately, while there isn't a huge depth there it's enough to believe they like each other while also not wanting to be in the same room within seconds due to the cracks in their marriage.

Giamatti plays a scientist who detects earthquakes, and all his scenes are fantastic. They could have made a film just about him and I'd have watched it.

Alexandra Daddario is Gugino's and Johnson's daughter, who is serviceable acting wise. It's not really a role worth putting her full effort into - she's primarily fan service, and there to be rescued. Her looks are distracting in this movie. lol Which is annoying since she is a decent actress when she's given material to sink her teeth into.

This is a disaster movie in the Michael Bay mold, except less stupid, more coherent (or coherent enough that it isn't as jarring) and the actresses are given more to do as characters. Kind of like Michael Bay had a brain. Sort of. The special effects are amazing. How the movie ramps up the craziness is a delight to see, it's practically Murphy's Law: The Movie. For instance,
    when the parents are on a boat on the ocean they have go up a tsunami. In any other movie that would be tension enough, then as they reach the top a large freighter towers over them cutting off their exit over the ridge then they go to the side to bypass it, only to almost get killed by the swirling rotors then once they're past that crates start falling directly on them!

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Expendables is pretty blah, except for that entertainingly weird Mickey Rourke monologue. The real crime wasn't the casting but just how the film wasn't anywhere near as good as the good 80s action movies it wanted to remind you of. When your 80s action star team-up film isn't in the top quarter of any of their filmographies, you done screwed up.

That monologue seemed completely out of place when you take into account the tone of rest of the film; one of my friends was in tears of laughter at how serious it was trying to be.

The Expendables movies are basically films with whoever's around that day. Like it was obvious Bruce Willis was never in the same room as anyone and just shot his scenes somewhere else. They're slapdash and lazy productions with mediocre action

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Plans for 14 more Transformer movies, according to Michael Bay.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

"Supervillain delivers ultimatum to the world from his island skull fortress" is how I read that.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    If one of them is a complete reboot that doesn't involve Michael Bay in any way, I might be interested.

edited April 2017
    shryke wrote: »

"Supervillain delivers ultimatum to the world from his island skull fortress" is how I read that.

I think the TF movies have broken Michael Bay. The latest film almost looks...progressive?

Harry Dresden on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I think the TF movies have broken Michael Bay. The latest film almost looks...progressive?

I don't trust trailers so I'll wait until the movies out before I pass judgement on that.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

It's like the promise of 5 more Avatar movies, but Bay will actually deliver

I want there to be people who are watching Transformers 19 who were born shortly after the first and have never seen it

Soon, all movies will be Transformers

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Transformers: Analog Boogaloo
    Transformers: The New Batch
    Transformers: Shia's Revenge
    Transformers: Electrile Dysfunction
    Transformers: Megatron Rides Again
    Transformers: LIVE!
    Transformers v Superman: Tron of Justice
    Transformers: We Don't Even Write Scripts Anymore
    Transformers: A Love Story
    Transformers: The Evening Star
    The Road to Transformers

my favorite movies of all time in reversological order:

-Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen
    -Transformers
    -Prince of Persia Sands of Time
    -Clash of the Titans
    -Winnie The Pooh & the Blustery Day
    -X-Men Origins: Wolverine

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Stolen from imgur but has this idea ever been attempted? Maybe in two parts of a single movie?

adl0x73apw4k.jpg

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I was offered a free ticket to a premiere screening of The Last Knight yesterday, months before the movie actually comes out. I nope'd out of that one without hesitation.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Stolen from imgur but has this idea ever been attempted? Maybe in two parts of a single movie?

adl0x73apw4k.jpg
    Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

adl0x73apw4k.jpg

Umm... as stoked as I am that the Allies won WW2, I'm not sure if we wanna say the Japanese army were the objective villains?

Leave us not forget that we gladly tossed people into internment camps right then, the U.S. military were the primary perpetrators of the active genocide of the indigenous peoples of North America (including being the architects of what the Nazis built their Final Solution on), many of those heroic soldiers would've had a merry old time at a lynching, and most of all, were the engine of American imperialism.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'll say the Axis was evil just to keep things balanced. Pure evil? Of course not, no one is in reality. Just like the Good Guys weren't all Good. But enough.

Xeddicus on
  • TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    I didn't really take that example as a good vs. bad thing, but rather an 'opposing sides of a dramatic conflict' sorta thing, which I think the Eastwood films do well. I don't think the films see either side as bad, but (pretty smartly) examine how the imperial side of each culture responds to the end of the war.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think it's good to identify them as bad guys, because then if we question that, we can then question the history of all the other 'bad' guys in history, and realize the grey areas that history has tried to paint in black and white. If we just remove the labels in modern history, they'll permanently stick for all prior historical ambiguous events.

We have a tendency to label the losers of war the 'bad' guys. Let's explore that before dumping the filing system.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

adl0x73apw4k.jpg

Umm... as stoked as I am that the Allies won WW2, I'm not sure if we wanna say the Japanese army were the objective villains?

Independent of the complexities of real world history, the Japanese are most definitely movie villains in the normal war film narrative, in the same way that the Germany Army was actually made up of lots of individuals, both good and bad, but in movies it just becomes Shootin' Nazis.

That Flags of our Fathers has a companion piece is the point, to challenge what American audiences would normally unquestioningly view as the evil villains of a movie, even as it also pays respects to the Americans in the conflict as well,

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

adl0x73apw4k.jpg

Leave us not forget that we gladly tossed people into internment camps right then, the U.S. military were the primary perpetrators of the active genocide of the indigenous peoples of North America (including being the architects of what the Nazis built their Final Solution on), many of those heroic soldiers would've had a merry old time at a lynching, and most of all, were the engine of American imperialism.

The Rape of Nanking and Japan's unwillingness to own up to their atrocities (up until last year I would have been looking at you Comfort Women) kinda makes them objectively villains in this case. Whether America was in anyway righteous in the pacific theater is a different topic, but it was altogether a more justified war than us entering the European theater. America sucks, and does a lot of shitty things, but at least we usually feel bad about it after a generation or two.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    A film about the typical Hollywood villain would be fairly boring as they are pretty flat. Even Hans Gruber an A list villain is just a thief.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    A film about the typical Hollywood villain would be fairly boring as they are pretty flat. Even Hans Gruber an A list villain is just a thief.

A thief masquerading as a terrorist, and he's superb at it.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

adl0x73apw4k.jpg

The Japanese did some pretty horrid shit, fueled their war engine with racism not unlike Hitler, and you forget that they were engaged in imperialism with the Chinese at the time.

How they treated their POW's was miles worse than simple lynchings, like pouring honey into the eyes of marines, tying them to the ground, and letting the ants eat their fill. It was a horrific slow death.

jungleroomx on
    America's great even with our mistakes, 50/13 would bang.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

But an entire movie from his perspective would be horrible.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular

From exclusively his perspective, yes. But I'm not the first person to suggest that a movie from the bad guys' perspective would be a horror movie akin to Alien. There's definitely enough to play with there to make it interesting.

I'd like to see just one movie about a hollywood villain simply because what we see is so bad and over the top in the short amount of time in most movies (like Karate Kid 3!), how they could they fill that time with even more unbelievable evildoing?

just walking along and kicking a dog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qSWgYQPmnc

edited April 2017

adl0x73apw4k.jpg

The Japanese did some pretty horrid shit, fueled their war engine with racism not unlike Hitler, and you forget that they were engaged in imperialism with the Chinese at the time.

How they treated their POW's was miles worse than simple lynchings, like pouring honey into the eyes of marines, tying them to the ground, and letting the ants eat their fill. It was a horrific slow death.

I'd have to double check but that sounds more like the Philippines War of Independence, where guerrillas made a point of trying to make American deaths gruesome. The Japanese were absolutely brutal to their prisoners, but also part of that was because of their severe shortage of food and supplies for even their own men. If they had honey they probably would've just been eating it. :) Indeed, one of the worst charges against Japanese troops towards the end of the war was cannibalism of American prisoners, but there's testimony that they also targeted Japanese war dead because of the lack of food. Also, lynchings were unfortunately very often far more involved and cruel than merely hanging.

As for imperialism, while definitely true, and definitely horrible, the Japanese were more than a bit peeved to be hearing that argument from the Imperial Great Powers of the west. After all, when's the last time you heard demands that Belgium finally show atonement for their horrendous colonial atrocities, or Britain, or [imperialist powers of your choice here]. Japan's history from the 1860s onwards had been the western powers telling them to westernize to be treated equally, and part of the western system was establishing colonies.

That's hardly to excuse Japanese atrocities, and they certainly had a whole lot of them (including the government against its own people). But it's also a mistake to view them as simple movie villains. Or at least, not to look at the Americans as pure movie heroes.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

adl0x73apw4k.jpg

I'd have to double check but that sounds more like the Philippines War of Independence, where guerrillas made a point of trying to make American deaths gruesome.

Iwo Jima.
    The Japanese were absolutely brutal to their prisoners, but also part of that was because of their severe shortage of food and supplies for even their own men. If they had honey they probably would've just been eating it. :) Indeed, one of the worst charges against Japanese troops towards the end of the war was cannibalism of American prisoners, but there's testimony that they also targeted Japanese war dead because of the lack of food. Also, lynchings were unfortunately very often far more involved and cruel than merely hanging.

As for imperialism, while definitely true, and definitely horrible, the Japanese were more than a bit peeved to be hearing that argument from the Imperial Great Powers of the west. After all, when's the last time you heard demands that Belgium finally show atonement for their horrendous colonial atrocities, or Britain, or [imperialist powers of your choice here]. Japan's history from the 1860s onwards had been the western powers telling them to westernize to be treated equally, and part of the western system was establishing colonies.

That's hardly to excuse Japanese atrocities, and they certainly had a whole lot of them (including the government against its own people). But it's also a mistake to view them as simple movie villains. Or at least, not to look at the Americans as pure movie heroes.

Well, I don't view them as such, and I do apologize for the simplistic viewpoints. America did its fair share of horrible shit, no doubt.

Most military men in America feared the Japanese much more than the Germans, because they were absolutely brutal in combat and in their treatment of POW's. During a lot of marine landings, the Japanese would be using anti-aircraft guns against soldiers.

I did like how Letters from Iwo Jima made the Japanese not monsters, but people caught up in a series of world events that ended horribly for everyone.

edited April 2017

I dunno, I could watch a film from his POV. He's a fascinating character and had a wonderful actor. Worse bad guys have gotten their own great films RE: Gangster No. 1.

Harry Dresden on
    Kana wrote: »

adl0x73apw4k.jpg

I'd have to double check but that sounds more like the Philippines War of Independence, where guerrillas made a point of trying to make American deaths gruesome.

Iwo Jima.

I'm hardly a war historian, but that certainly doesn't sound correct to me. The battle of Iwo Jima was defined largely by the refusal to take prisoners at all, the Japanese certainly didn't have time to devise elaborate torture devices to kill prisoners individually over the course of days.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular

adl0x73apw4k.jpg

As I first read this I was thinking a more fictional move.
    This sounds like financial suicide unless done on the cheap. I don't think you could make two blockbusters with this premise. Sure, the production would save some money because you could reuse some sets and crew. But I think the increase in production time negates any savings. I think we've seen TV do one off episodes like this and make it work. It might become a cult hit, especially if you edit it in such a way that you can watch both movies at the same time and have them sync perfectly. Ultimately thought I think you end up with Clue. A movie that fails in its theatrical run but finds a pretty strong audience upon home release.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_hGITmNuo

Holy hell I didn't think someone could make Kylo Ren even creepier.

(caution: obviously there will be spoilers)

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

An EXCEPTIONAL thief, thank you.

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I saw Where Eagles Dare, the sort of film my dad would've shown me when I was little, but I don't recall ever seeing it previously.

It's a weird one. A determined men-on-a-mission World War II film that appears to be going the quiet, tense, minimalist route until the spies start using dynamite on everything and fighting legions of Nazis with machine guns. The production values are really strong (some of the rear-projection looks wonky, but hey, it's the 60's)---it's a far handsomer film than a lot of war flicks from the period. Its tone is wonky, it's long, and its characters only seem to be defined by what side they're on and nothing else. There isn't anything being said here, the mission is just an excuse for stand-offs and vehicle setpieces.

But hey, it looks nice, Burton and Eastwood are cool, and some of those setpieces are pretty legit.

Tenzytile on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's easy to say "trying to make a value judgement as to the comparative moral standing of two massive, millions of men strong militaries and their controlling governments is so difficult, even impossible, that I'm just not going to try and call them equally bad." Incredibly easy. It's also a false equivalence.

At the end of the day, the American Marines, USAF and USN did some rough shit in the Pacific Theatre. But I don't think it compares to the institutionalised horrors like Unit 731, the Rape of Nanking, the Korean Comfort Women... like there's rough shit and then there's torturing PoWs to death and burying Chinese people alive for the fun of it. I don't like the term bad guy. But I also don't like that people say hey, the IJA was just as bad as those Americans! The Wehrmacht weren't like the other Nazis they weren't as bad and besides the Allies did equivalently awful things! I think you should try to make a moral judgement and attempt to hold to a standard and, like, if you do then you realise that the Wehrmacht and the IJA, like, they were on another level when it came to atrocities. Just another level.

Don Rickles died. I am heartbroken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RONkAEMduSc

This discussion has been closed.