As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Bokoblin Genocide Simulator

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yes, yes it is.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Spirit-Tracks/Iwata-Asks-Zelda-Handheld-History-/Bonus-1-Ancient-Documents-from-1985/Bonus-1-Ancient-Documents-from-1985-233949.html
    Nakago: Last time we talked about how the [original design for] Zelda only had dungeons. This is the planning sheet for the dungeon select screen we drew up back then. The title is “Adventure Title,” so we hadn’t decided on The Legend of Zelda yet. And that’s Miyamoto-san’s signature.

u9ScwtW.png

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I abandoned that chest.

Assume you need to
    rotate the wheel until the top weight moves then Stasis it, as you said.

Before I figured out you could adjust the water, I was trying to Stasis & bomb/wack the ball into the trigger. :bigfrown:

I beat that area and I still have no idea
    what the sliding ball does
    It opens the gate in front of the access point or whatever.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    This sums up my BOTW experience nicely:

https://youtu.be/6vCc9jiYreo

By the end it was like "OH GOD JUST LET IT END!...NO NOT AGAIN!!!"

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    BTW, i just saw a post on reddit.
    Some guy figured a way to turn a minecar + metal box + Magnesis into an airship that can go high enough to let you glide across the entire map.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    e: wrong thread

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So I finally found a memory I was putting the most effort into finding and JUST FUCKING COULDN'T. The one in the forest. For good measure after I watched it, I looked up the Japanese dub of it. I'm not down on the English VA in this game at all but that scene was dominated by the Japanese Zelda VA.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Took the bus for my work commute this morning, did some open world things.
    Then near my stop I saw another guy with a Switch! And then he pulled out his Sheikah Slate case and I was happy that this is the world we live in now.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    So I finally found a memory I was putting the most effort into finding and JUST FUCKING COULDN'T. The one in the forest. For good measure after I watched it, I looked up the Japanese dub of it. I'm not down on the English VA in this game at all but that scene was dominated by the Japanese Zelda VA.

I want to strangle Zelda whenever she talks. It's grating. Or maybe I don't have the patience for teenage/young adult Bullshit.

kx3klFE.png
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

Yeah that one is hard in that it really doesn't give you anything to work with in the photo. For ages I thought the damn thing was in/around Faron.

Granted the painter does tell you exactly where to go but first you've got to find that exact stable, which is in a pretty easy to miss spot.

Can't say I had a problem with the VA work for that one. Felt pretty natural to me.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular

English Zelda is mediocre but ignorable for me. But that Japanese Zelda crying scene is so overacted I ended up laughing at how bad it sounded. I don't think that's the reaction they were looking for.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    I liked Zelda much better after I rewatched all of the memories in order.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Here's latin-american version of said memory, jump to 26:35 (Of course, spoilers) but I really need to praise them for doing such a good job.

https://youtu.be/bI7lfMgFO-o?t=26m36s

Mipha is also so much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTlKlk1QDwI

Satsumomo on
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I abandoned that chest.

Assume you need to
    rotate the wheel until the top weight moves then Stasis it, as you said.

Before I figured out you could adjust the water, I was trying to Stasis & bomb/wack the ball into the trigger. :bigfrown:

I beat that area and I still have no idea
    what the sliding ball does

Sliding ball is the trigger for opening the cage to the console that you need.

Ended up having to get a scale off of one of the dragons, which took up most of my 2-hour play session, so i only got two shrines done, and the next-to-last memory.

Pretty obvious where the last memory is based on the painting Impa shows you.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    it depends on what the meaning of the word is is
    ...of the word isis
    bill clinton was the founder of isis?
    holy. shit.
    get me D Trump

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

Yeah that one is hard in that it really doesn't give you anything to work with in the photo. For ages I thought the damn thing was in/around Faron.

Granted the painter does tell you exactly where to go but first you've got to find that exact stable, which is in a pretty easy to miss spot.

Can't say I had a problem with the VA work for that one. Felt pretty natural to me.
    I mean I do like the English VA, especially for Zelda. But in that scene specifically, the Japanese VA sells it WAY better.

Oh shit, the Spanish voice actor for Zelda gets it even better. When I'm done with the game I'm probably gonna take a cruise of all the cutscenes in all languages.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I just knew as soon as Zelda had voice acting that instead of 'why doesn't this game have voice acting' it'd become 'why doesn't this game have the voice acting I like'

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I just knew as soon as Zelda had voice acting that instead of 'why doesn't this game have voice acting' it'd become 'why doesn't this game have the voice acting I like'
    https://youtu.be/CXpuRIZzJog

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Ok the Gerudo area
    having magic guards is really annoying. Haven't gotten inside, probably won't bother with it from what I've seen of the area. Thought I could at least sneak over the walls and derp around until caught. Nope! Magic cutscene guards the instant you get most of the way up. Grr.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

I mean I do like the English VA, especially for Zelda. But in that scene specifically, the Japanese VA sells it WAY better.

In that scene the Japanese VA sounded way to over the top to me. English VA seemed like a better fit for me. That said Spanish VA was probably the best take.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Wow! Spanish voice acting for the win! She actually sounds passionate. Now that I think about it, this game works better as a soap opera than an adventure story. Hell, she has been waiting for him for 100 years and they have lost so much. In previous Zelda games Link even has an evil twin!

NNID = Zepp914
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Is there a faster way to cook stuff? I want to cook up this insane amount of mushrooms I've collected but I don't want to have to do the whole process.

Also, what's the best return mushroom recipie? I don't want to do the whole skewer because I still only have 3 hearts.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    You can skip the animation but that's the only way to speed up cooking. You still need to do the menus and such.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Ok the Gerudo area
    having magic guards is really annoying. Haven't gotten inside, probably won't bother with it from what I've seen of the area. Thought I could at least sneak over the walls and derp around until caught. Nope! Magic cutscene guards the instant you get most of the way up. Grr.
    Talk to the dude outside hanging around by the shrine. Then head to the market oasis area that's on the road to Gerudo town. At night there will be someone on the roof of the inn there who will sell you some armor that will let you walk right past those pesky guards

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    shadowane wrote: »
    You can skip the animation but that's the only way to speed up cooking. You still need to do the menus and such.

bah

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Ok the Gerudo area
    Talk to the dude outside hanging around by the shrine. Then head to the market oasis area that's on the road to Gerudo town. At night there will be someone on the roof of the inn there who will sell you some armor that will let you walk right past those pesky guards

You also can't skip that area.

edited April 2017
    So how important IS cooking? I'm still just in the first area and the amount of ingredients and suggestions in their descriptions I'm finding is pretty overwhelming.

Also what the hell is that purple sound meter for?

Magic Pink on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So how important IS cooking? I'm still just in the first area and the amount of ingredients and suggestions in their descriptions I'm finding is pretty overwhelming.

at least in the early game (I've done one divine beast and maybe...30 shrines or so), it's not super important imo. you should figure out how to make a couple of resistances and every once in awhile stop to cook up some meals to restore hearts/stamina. I think overall cooking makes things easier but it's certainly not necessary for success (again, early on).

The sound meter is how loud you're being -- used to help you be sneaky when necessary.

Is there a faster way to cook stuff? I want to cook up this insane amount of mushrooms I've collected but I don't want to have to do the whole process.

Also, what's the best return mushroom recipie? I don't want to do the whole skewer because I still only have 3 hearts.

If you have tons of apples or mushrooms and you just want to make a ton of cooked foods that heal a few hearts, just find an open fire without a pot, hold 5 mushrooms and drop them into the fire. (Or go to death mountain and drop them on the ground. once they catch fire and turn into baked mushrooms/apples, pick them up. just dont drop more than 10 on the ground at a time, or they will disappear.

twmjr wrote: »

The sound meter is how loud you're being -- used to help you be sneaky when necessary.

does't it sometimes react to sounds around you too tho?

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I *think* it's only sound that you've made yourself.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Besides inns and fairies, cooking is the only way to restore hearts. So you'll want some recovery food.

You'll eventually find ingredients that will give bonuses to attack and defense that will be very, very helpful in the early game when you get into sticky situations.

It's good to have stamina-recovery food on hand too -- you never know when you'll want to climb a mountain.

Oh, and quick hint -- bugs, lizards and the like ONLY go with monster parts. Don't try to mix them with anything that actually looks edible, but you'll want to throw these things in the pot anyway...

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh, and quick hint -- bugs, lizards and the like ONLY go with monster parts. Don't try to mix them with anything that actually looks edible, but you'll want to throw these things in the pot anyway...

The rule of thumb here is "if it has a heart icon, it's food". The only exceptions are seasonings.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »

doesn't it sometimes react to sounds around you too tho?

It takes into account other sounds. If it's windy for example, you'll make the same amount of noice, but animals won't hear you as quickly.

I highly HIGHLY recommend getting the stealth suit as early as possible. It costs a pretty penny, but it's so helpful in a number of ways.

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular

Very - and the cooking to me is super fun!

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

Smoogy wrote: »

I like the mechanic, it just takes so darn long.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »

I like the mechanic, it just takes so darn long.

It's my biggest complaint in the game

Give me a recipe book and a button that says "cook all" and I'd be a happy man

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh god, my kingdom for a recipe book.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Critically important. That warm doublet won't be enough cold resistance for many areas and you'll need to stack warming food on top of that to say nothing of the environmental conditions you don't get a free armor for. While you can eventually buy armor pieces instead of using food (and it's a good idea to in case you bump into a tough enemy in rough conditions that you want to run a defense buff for instead of a heat/cold resistance buff), cooking meat or excess flora and selling those is a primary income source for a lot of people to be able to afford those armors.

It does simplify as you get access to more ingredients. Anything that adds to maximum hearts will refill all your real hearts too so you start needing to only cook that truffle or radish by itself instead of figuring out an optimal list. Ditto for stamina and +max stamina foods. The longer ingredient combos become for buff effects where you use ingredients that extend the length of the buff.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772