As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Bokoblin Genocide Simulator

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Here's latin-american version of said memory, jump to 26:35 (Of course, spoilers) but I really need to praise them for doing such a good job.

https://youtu.be/bI7lfMgFO-o?t=26m36s

Mipha is also so much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTlKlk1QDwI

To be fair, Latin American language is kinda easy to insert weepy emotion into. To me at least, spoken in a soft tone, its like people are discussing the most serious subjects...and with a little runny nose behind it it sounds absolutely tragic.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    They probably could've iterated on cooking more than they ended up having in the finished product. For as wide a variety of ingredients that they have, at the end of the day if you play video games to find the lowest barrier of success,
    you quickly learn to cook foods exclusively with the same buff ingredients for the sake of those buffs being as strong as possible, and then cook other foods exclusively for the sake of healing. Trying to do both (buff and heal) with all dishes you make eventually puts you in the position of overwriting buffs you're depending on.
    That's actually a shitty way to play the game. I've recently started doing it, but it makes things so much less of a hassle. Like why wouldn't I do it that way? But at the same time it was the single most immersion breaking element I've come across in the game's design.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I dunno, I like having the option to heal a little bit with a defense buff if I've just been hit in the groin by a lynel.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I dunno, I like having the option to heal a little bit with a defense buff if I've just been hit in the groin by a lynel.
    Yeah but I mean, when you have to start wasting more of your buffs to do that little bit of healing when you get hit hard again...

They should've built in a cook book in the menu. It would encourage experimentation. Also specific recipes should be stronger because from what I've seen they're not necessarily worthwhile.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Pssh, buffs. I just cook a bunch of prime steamed meat (using hearty radishes). And then I try not to get pummeled but if I do I can just heal right back up (and then some!)

If you have truffles and such that's even simpler since you can do a full recovery + temp hearts with only a couple ingredients.

I honestly do keep a couple of stamina, defense, and attack meals around but I don't use them for straight healing except in desperation.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Ok the Gerudo area
    having magic guards is really annoying. Haven't gotten inside, probably won't bother with it from what I've seen of the area. Thought I could at least sneak over the walls and derp around until caught. Nope! Magic cutscene guards the instant you get most of the way up. Grr.
    Talk to the dude outside hanging around by the shrine. Then head to the market oasis area that's on the road to Gerudo town. At night there will be someone on the roof of the inn there who will sell you some armor that will let you walk right past those pesky guards

I'm aware I just find the place aggravating and wanted to see how much I can skip before I ignore it.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I dont really cook anything other than the occasional healing food and am doing fine. I have enough equipment to handle any environmental hazard I've run into so far, the cold resist vest + flameblade has handled any cold I run into so far for example. Pretty neat that there are so many ways to handle that type of situation

Oh by the way there is an inventory limit on cooked food apparently.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh by the way there is an inventory limit on cooked food apparently.

yes, three pages

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So, I haven't done too much reading on this game, but apparently you can get non-horse mounts?

Are any of these options: Boars, Rams, water buffalo?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    So, I haven't done too much reading on this game, but apparently you can get non-horse mounts?

you can mount some (but not all) non-horse animals, but as soon as you dismount they will run off and you can't board them at a stable.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »

you can mount some (but not all) non-horse animals, but as soon as you dismount they will run off and you can't board them at a stable.

Oh, that's disappointing. Wanted a battle boar.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular

Oh, that's disappointing. Wanted a battle boar.

Definitely no for Boars and Rams, don't think so for water buffalo. There are some other large mammals about you can ride, though, and a few uh .. magical things to hop aboard.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • -Abel--Abel- Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I've spent more time riding other beasts than I have horses. I spend so much time climbing I find the horses kind of useless. Not that the other beasts or more practical, just more fun to ride around in. I was sorely disappointed when I couldn't board them.

The best april fools joke this year should have been someone making a convincing fake video that you could tame and ride a lynel. God, the carnage that would result.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Ok the Gerudo area
    having magic guards is really annoying. Haven't gotten inside, probably won't bother with it from what I've seen of the area. Thought I could at least sneak over the walls and derp around until caught. Nope! Magic cutscene guards the instant you get most of the way up. Grr.
    Talk to the dude outside hanging around by the shrine. Then head to the market oasis area that's on the road to Gerudo town. At night there will be someone on the roof of the inn there who will sell you some armor that will let you walk right past those pesky guards

You also can't skip that area.

Ending spoiler:
    You can skip everything in the game, the divine beasts aren't actually required to fight Ganon.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    shadowane wrote: »
    Ok the Gerudo area

You also can't skip that area.

Ending spoiler:
    You can skip everything in the game, the divine beasts aren't actually required to fight Ganon.

Oh well I guess that's fair. I don't see you skipping it in a normal run though.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    RE: Cooking
    Cooking is versatile and highly worth your time for the buffs, but it is also not necessary. Perhaps the only thing you MUST cook for is health regen, but even then you can eat raw foods to regen health (I'm imagining a "no cooking" run now).

Basic cooking mechanics, spoilered for those who want to experiment themselves
    There are 7 temporary buffs you can get from cooking, and you can only have one at a time. There are two buffs, extra hearts and extra stamina, that last until they are used up. Extra hearts (they are yellow colored) cannot be regained with normal food, and extra stamina does not regen with rest or normal stamina regen food. Bonus hearts and stamina are not exclusive, so you can have extra hearts, extra stamina, and one temp buff, all at the same time.

These temp buffs have three levels:
    • +attack
    • +defense
    • +speed
    • +stealth

Attack and defense are self explanatory. I've tested defense for effectiveness. Lvl1 is worth 4 armor, equivalent to 1 heart. Lvl2 is 12 armor/3 hearts, lvl3 is 24 armor/6 hearts. Generally armor is considered more valuable early game as Link has low hearts and armor, meaning most anything weaker than basic enemies can 1 shot him. Attack I haven't tested, but there are enemies that are brick walls of health, so it is valuable too. The materials for these buffs are plentiful, so if you want to use them, feel free to do so liberally. You can easily have lvl 1 one of either one for every single fight, if you want.

Speed applies to running and climbing. I haven't tested for swimming, but my guess is it applies to that as well. As far as effectiveness, lvl 1 speed gives a noticeable boost. Level three speed is night and day. Climbing especially benefits from speed boost. If you want play spiderman, I highly recommend speed buffs. The mats for speed are not uncommon but generally take a little more effort to gather.

Stealth is, appropriately, deceptively powerful. You can perform a sneak attack (different from a normal attack and does much more damage) on unaware enemies, or slip by them entirely if you want to avoid a fight. It also lets you get much closer to wildlife. The mats for stealth are common so you can play with it to your heart's content.

Heat and cold resist are self explanatory. They are temporary so you can't have one of these and, say, a defense buff. Be careful if you are in an extreme climate that you do not overwrite them by accident. There are two levels to each temperature. The mats are plentiful. It's worth it to note that you can get temperature resistance from clothing and have another food buff at the same time. There is an electric resist buff that functions like the temperature resist buffs, but it's not a common buff you need.

Bonus stamina food is useful because cooked food with even a tiny bit of bonus stam will completely fill your regular stamina wheel. Mats are not difficult to get but are uncommon so you will have to devote some time if you want them. Regular stamina regen materials are much more common.

Bonus hearts is very powerful and easily the most valued cooking buff. You can turn Link into an unstoppable force with it. I've cooked +25 heart food and you can probably get more. The mats for it are appropriately rare, requiring you to go far off the beaten path to find them. Again, you can stack +hearts and +defense, so even early on you can dramatically buff yourself to survive even difficult encounters.

EDIT: I forgot something. Roasting foods next to an open flame (with or without a cookpot) eliminates any bonus properties, but slightly increases the amount of health they regen. The best thing is roasted foods stack in one slot in your inventory. You can roast 50 apples to have on hand so you don't have to use bigger foods for a single heart.

EDIT2: Forgot fireproof. Only needed for Death Mountain, and the fireproof lizards you need can be found in that area.
    @Magic Pink

Nobeard on

You can even mount some non-animals, like a
    stal horse!

If I ever become famous I'm going to have to have my PA account scrubbed because stuff like my previous post can be quoted out-of-context.

Nobeard wrote: »

You can even mount some non-animals, like a
    stal horse!

Saved for the unlikely event that Nobeard becomes president one day and we need blackmail material.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I dont really cook anything other than the occasional healing food and am doing fine. I have enough equipment to handle any environmental hazard I've run into so far, the cold resist vest + flameblade has handled any cold I run into so far for example. Pretty neat that there are so many ways to handle that type of situation

I make sure to have a stack of strong healing items on-side, but i never cook for effects myself.
    Got the 12th memory, which unlocks a hidden 13th memory, where you find Link's last stand against the Guardians. Unlike the main quest, Impa shows you a painting on the wall in her house. Even though i knew where it was almost immediately, i still took a photo to help get precise bearings. When i got to the spot, Link took out his Sheikah Slate and looked right at the photo i took. It's fun when the game anticipates what users will do like that.

Slinging southward to get the Faron and Lake shrines that i missed. My count is 92 right now.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Cooking is versatile and highly worth your time for the buffs, but it is also not necessary. Perhaps the only thing you MUST cook for is health regen, but even then you can eat raw foods to regen health (I'm imagining a "no cooking" run now).

There are 7 temporary buffs you can get from cooking, and you can only have one at a time. There are two buffs, extra hearts and extra stamina, that last until they are used up. Extra hearts (they are yellow colored) cannot be regained with normal food, and extra stamina does not regen with rest or normal stamina regen food. Bonus hearts and stamina are not exclusive, so you can have extra hearts, extra stamina, and one temp buff, all at the same time.

• +attack
    • +defense
    • +speed
    • +stealth

Attack and defense are self explanatory. I've tested defense for effectiveness. Lvl1 is worth 4 armor, equivalent to 1 heart. Lvl2 is 12 armor/3 hearts, lvl3 is 24 armor/6 hearts. Generally armor is considered more valuable early game as Link has low hearts and armor, meaning most anything weaker than basic enemies can 1 shot him. Attack I haven't tested, but there are enemies that are brick walls of health, so it is valuable too. The materials for these buffs are plentiful, so if you want to use them, feel free to do so liberally. You can easily have lvl 1 one of either one for every single fight, if you want.

Speed applies to running and climbing. I haven't tested for swimming, but my guess is it applies to that as well. As far as effectiveness, lvl 1 speed gives a noticeable boost. Level three speed is night and day. Climbing especially benefits from speed boost. If you want play spiderman, I highly recommend speed buffs. The mats for speed are not uncommon but generally take a little more effort to gather.

Stealth is, appropriately, deceptively powerful. You can perform a sneak attack (different from a normal attack and does much more damage) on unaware enemies, or slip by them entirely if you want to avoid a fight. It also lets you get much closer to wildlife. The mats for stealth are common so you can play with it to your heart's content.

Heat and cold resist are self explanatory. They are temporary so you can't have one of these and, say, a defense buff. Be careful if you are in an extreme climate that you do not overwrite them by accident. There are two levels to each temperature. The mats are plentiful. It's worth it to note that you can get temperature resistance from clothing and have another food buff at the same time. There is an electric resist buff that functions like the temperature resist buffs, but it's not a common buff you need.

Bonus stamina food is useful because cooked food with even a tiny bit of bonus stam will completely fill your regular stamina wheel. Mats are not difficult to get but are uncommon so you will have to devote some time if you want them. Regular stamina regen materials are much more common.

Bonus hearts is very powerful and easily the most valued cooking buff. You can turn Link into an unstoppable force with it. I've cooked +25 heart food and you can probably get more. The mats for it are appropriately rare, requiring you to go far off the beaten path to find them. Again, you can stack +hearts and +defense, so even early on you can dramatically buff yourself to survive even difficult encounters.

EDIT: I forgot something. Roasting foods next to an open flame (with or without a cookpot) eliminates any bonus properties, but slightly increases the amount of health they regen. The best thing is roasted foods stack in one slot in your inventory. You can roast 50 apples to have on hand so you don't have to use bigger foods for a single heart.
    "Magic Pink"

But yeah, that's why people wanting recipes is kind of a red herring. You should instead just try to learn the underlying mechanics that govern it, and then make whatever following them

steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

• +attack
    • +defense
    • +speed
    • +stealth

"Magic Pink"

But yeah, that's why people wanting recipes is kind of a red herring. You should instead just try to learn the underlying mechanics that govern it, and then make whatever following them

But I wanna virtual cake!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I

LOVE

this game

it actually won over Persona 5

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

• +attack
    • +defense
    • +speed
    • +stealth

"Magic Pink"

But I wanna virtual cake!

That one i learned from that damn Royal Cooking quest.
    Two or three of any kind of fruit, Tabantha wheat, cane sugar.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

• +attack
    • +defense
    • +speed
    • +stealth

@Magic Pink

You're forgetting Fire Resist here, no?

Basically only needed on your first trip to Death Mountain, though.

EDIT: I guess this isn't a food resistance, technically. IIRC only lizards offer it.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There are I think only two areas in the whole game where they do the "traverse the extreme environment to get the armor to let you traverse the environment" thing and you're ideally expected to craft something for it. But I'm pretty sure they also have a way around it so you don't have to craft a thing.
    You have to get through the desert before you get the desert armor. But you can also travel at dawn or dusk to avoid the heat.

You also have to be fireproof to make it to Goron City to get the fireproof armor. But the stable near the mountain has an NPC who will sell you fireproof elixir for the journey.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I was at a friend's house and noticed two link amiibos sitting by his tv. I mentioned what they did and then realized my switch was in my car

toon link just gave me a royal sword but the other link gave me epona

honestly it's for the best, I would have gone nuts having 1 piece of a set and not knowing when I might be able to get the rest of that set, let alone that it'd leave me strongly desiring the other amiibo sets.

with epona I just get a nice little bonus (and a slightly smaller one only because yesterday I boarded the royal white horse with all that stamina) and it's not related to anything else as far as I know, so it's easy to just appreciate.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Guys if I ask where anything in the game world is, do not give me an answer. No matter how nice I am about it or how "oh I don't really care" I try to play it off as. Even if I get specific right now like "gee golly where is the last(?) great fairy fountain this sure is driving me crazy.

Don't tell me. I have to suffer to find it.

DON'T.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    There are I think only two areas in the whole game where they do the "traverse the extreme environment to get the armor to let you traverse the environment" thing and you're ideally expected to craft something for it. But I'm pretty sure they also have a way around it so you don't have to craft a thing.
    You have to get through the desert before you get the desert armor. But you can also travel at dawn or dusk to avoid the heat.

You also have to be fireproof to make it to Goron City to get the fireproof armor. But the stable near the mountain has an NPC who will sell you fireproof elixir for the journey.
    It's pretty silly how the fireproof armor will protect you against environments that are so hot that you immediately burst into flames, but not against mundane desert heat.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    jothki wrote: »

It's pretty silly how the fireproof armor will protect you against environments that are so hot that you immediately burst into flames, but not against mundane desert heat.

fireproof is different from heat resistant, but yes I do find it odd

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

A byproduct of using the same temperature gauge setting for both. I can see the logic. Putting on an oven mitt wouldn't keep your hand nice and cool in a heat wave, that kind of thing.

I find it more silly that taking off all your clothes doesn't protect against the sun. But again I can see the logic, overexposure and sunburn.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Early game spoiler
    I just got two different kinds of Remote Bomb from a shrine. I can't tell what the difference is though? Seems like maybe it's just the shape, so the square version can be placed,
    the round version will roll?

Doesn't seem strictly necessary, since placing the round one seems to have the same effect as placing a square one. ;P

Oh brilliant
    Early game spoiler
    I just got two different kinds of Remote Bomb from a shrine. I can't tell what the difference is though? Seems like maybe it's just the shape, so the square version can be placed,
    the round version will roll?

Doesn't seem strictly necessary, since placing the round one seems to have the same effect as placing a square one. ;P
    Don't underestimate the difference nor this game's design.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    @Dark Raven X Ohohoho, you will eat those words later... Mwhaha! :D

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Oh I may not be done with the game but I am going to enjoy DRX's coming up through it and learning how deep the rabbit hole goes.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    And finished. I'm sure I'll be back for the rest of the shrines, clear off a couple of sidequests and such. But it seemed like the right time to end it.

Damn good game. Probably the best in the series. I definitely hope that traditional Zelda's make a come back, especially the classic dungeons. But this was a hell of an experience.

I'll admit I could have used a more substantial ending. But the journey more then made up for it.

D'oh, forgot fireproof. AFAIK, only fireproof lizards have that property. I've found them all around the outskirts of Death Mountain, so it's no biggie to grab a few before you get to the burny parts.

• +attack
    • +defense
    • +speed
    • +stealth

"Magic Pink"

If cooking was just utility, then I would not mind it. But when you can make neat stuff like crepes, soups, cakes, etc., there is no excuse for not having a recipe book. We have an extensive compendium for crying out loud!