As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ridley Scott reveals the origins of the androids.

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/ridley-scott-video/

edit: Dammit, Ridley - Kubrick didn't create Hal, 2001 was a movie adaption of a novel by Arthur C. Clarke.

Harry Dresden on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is it time to bring up Hollywood Hacking again, or television forensics?

Popular entertainment, with rare exceptions, is / has been / always will be crap at presenting technical subjects accurately, because those subjects are complicated, opaque, and/or boring to non-experts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Holy sweet shit my brainmeats are melting

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

Popular entertainment, with rare exceptions, is / has been / always will be crap at presenting technical subjects accurately, because those subjects are complicated, opaque, and/or boring to non-experts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bAa6gFvLs

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I suppose it could work if each key was a different macro and they were just playing whack a mole with pop ups

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Yesterday I rewatched Punch Drunk Love for the first time since seeing it at the cinema. While I still don't entirely connect with the film or its characters, I could appreciate it more for the fantastic cinematography; more than that, though, when I first saw it, Magnolia was probably my favourite movie, so I went in expecting something in that vein, which didn't do the film any favours. Having taken a step back and looking at the film for what it is rather than what it isn't, I enjoyed it more. It's also an interesting stepping stone between the earlier Altman-meets-Scorsese films (Boogie Nights and Magnolia) and the later, more alien, more Kubrickian films (There Will Be Blood and The Master) - though in each case, while PTA was clearly inspired by those grand old men of cinema, he still gives the films his very own flavour.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I thought Predators was pretty fun. It was fairly consistent on a narrative level, and many adventures were had.

It was better than the AvP movies, anyway, and most of Predator 2 (the last scene of that movie blows everything post-Schwarzenegger out of the water).

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

But the thing to remember about Hackers is that Hackers is amazing.

I thought Predators was pretty fun. It was fairly consistent on a narrative level, and many adventures were had.

It was better than the AvP movies, anyway, and most of Predator 2 (the last scene of that movie blows everything post-Schwarzenegger out of the water).

Third best Predator film, superior to both A v P films. Not that it's a high bar to clear.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

Third best Predator film, superior to both A v P films. Not that it's a high bar to clear.

Wait, there's two A v P films?

Number One Tricky
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

edit: Dammit, Ridley - Kubrick didn't create Hal, 2001 was a movie adaption of a novel by Arthur C. Clarke.

Might wanna double check the history on that one... the Movie came out before the novel.

Kubrick and Clarke co-wrote the screenplay.

MadCaddy on
    a nu start wrote: »

Wait, there's two A v P films?

First

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cld40qD7HcY

Second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnwJId-r8_w

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I give the second AvP credit for portraying the aliens as the amoral monsters they are.

That's it.

MadCaddy wrote: »

Might wanna double check the history on that one... the Movie came out before the novel.

Kubrick and Clarke co-wrote the screenplay.

I stand corrected. :)

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    AvP2 is the second best film in both franchises.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Predator 2 was an enjoyable b-movie throughout. The premise of a Hunter in the city who can only be stopped by an average cop is, IMO, genius. It's interesting on it's own and it sharply distinguishes the sequel from the first one. That's very important because the first one transcends (if only a little) it's b-movie genre, so subtly preventing comparison between the two is exactly what you want. The SFX are good to great. We get to spend relatively lots of quality time with the Hunter. Danny Glover is basically playing Murtaugh in an alternate universe and that's just fine with me. It expands the lore of the Hunters while keeping them scary, weird, and mysterious, and without clumsy exposition.

It's not as good as the first one, but I'd say that on a list of top 50 80's action movies, it's in the range of 25-11.

It also has a great tagline: "He's in town with a few days to kill."

I do miss a good tag line.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Predator 2 was an enjoyable b-movie throughout. The premise of a Hunter in the city who can only be stopped by an average cop is, IMO, genius. It's interesting on it's own and it sharply distinguishes the sequel from the first one. That's very important because the first one transcends (if only a little) it's b-movie genre, so subtly preventing comparison between the two is exactly what you want. The SFX are good to great. We get to spend relatively lots of quality time with the Hunter. Danny Glover is basically playing Murtaugh in an alternate universe and that's just fine with me. It expands the lore of the Hunters while keeping them scary, weird, and mysterious, and without clumsy exposition.

It's not as good as the first one, but I'd say that on a list of top 50 80's action movies, it's in the range of 25-11.

I unapologetically love Predator 2.

Unlike Arnold? Danny wins.

predator2o.png

take. it.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2017
    cj iwakura wrote: »

predator2o.png

take. it.

It's like Robocop, pure 80's 90's craziness. I love it.

Harry Dresden on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

predator2o.png

take. it.

It's like Robocop, pure 80's 90's craziness. I love it.

I almost wish we had gotten the Rodriguez version of the Predators script, which apparently involved a full-functioning Spanish galleon that had been brought throuth space to the Predator's hunting world.

But that would probably utterly have ruined that weirder and fascinating premise of Predators creating havoc during the Age of Sail and interacting with pirates and so on. Best to keep it hid.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Your Name is a really good film that is only in theaters for like, this weekend and maybe next weekend?

While the plot starts out feeling like it's just re-treading some well-known cinema concepts, it turns them on their head pretty quickly and ends up being quite poignant and affecting. It's also awe-inspiringly gorgeous - I wouldn't begrudge anyone choosing to see it dubbed simply so that they don't have to look away from the visuals even for a moment.

An addendum, since I had some time to think about it: What's wonderful about the film is that it starts out highly personal, then expands into something that encompasses so much more, yet it manages this while maintaining the strong personal connections that it started with.

Which makes sense, as the film is about connections, in a number of ways.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Your Name is a really good film that is only in theaters for like, this weekend and maybe next weekend?

While the plot starts out feeling like it's just re-treading some well-known cinema concepts, it turns them on their head pretty quickly and ends up being quite poignant and affecting. It's also awe-inspiringly gorgeous - I wouldn't begrudge anyone choosing to see it dubbed simply so that they don't have to look away from the visuals even for a moment.

An addendum, since I had some time to think about it: What's wonderful about the film is that it starts out highly personal, then expands into something that encompasses so much more, yet it manages this while maintaining the strong personal connections that it started with.

I'd like to see it, but the closest showing is in Atlanta, which was a two hour drive before the bridge on I-85 burned down.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

"I am the bestest hacker ever, so great that my hacking is even appearing on YOUR SCREEN I am H4X0R."

Jesus christ that is the dumbest thing...

edited April 2017
    In today's example of "actors, especially in genre movies / blockbusters / huge hits / classics / all of the above, who deliver frankly Oscar-worthy performances that really deserved more recognition both at the time and looking back"...

Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. As sublime as she was in the original, she was goddamn amazing in T2. Her physical transformation was noted at the time, as she'd trained so hard to go from "everygirl" Sarah Connor as seen in the original to hard-as-nails Sarah Connor (whilst still believable as the same character), but her performance just shines more every time I watch it. She sells every moment; action, pathos, everything. She is basically flawless in this movie. Yet somehow she's never quite remembered in the same way as other iconic action heroines. She should be.

Jazz on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I'd like to see it, but the closest showing is in Atlanta, which was a two hour drive before the bridge on I-85 burned down.

Hey, if I can drive over two hours to see it, so can you!

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Jazz wrote: »
    In today's example of "actors, especially in genre movies / blockbusters / huge hits / classics / all of the above, who deliver frankly Oscar-worthy performances that really deserved more recognition both at the time and looking back"...

Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. As sublime as she was in the original, she was goddamn amazing in T2. Her physical transformation was noted at the time, as she'd trained so hard to go from "everygirl" Sarah Connor as seen in the original to hard-as-nails Sarah Connor (whilst still believable as the same character), but her performance just shines more every time I watch that movie. She sells every moment; action, pathos, everything. She is basically flawless in this movie. Yet somehow she's never quite remembered in the same way as other iconic action heroines. She should be.

Her sister as well!

t2w3mxcf3283.jpg

That's not a camera trick, editing trick, or anything. That's Leslie Hamilton in the background.

jungleroomx on
    I actually just found that out today.

Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. As sublime as she was in the original, she was goddamn amazing in T2. Her physical transformation was noted at the time, as she'd trained so hard to go from "everygirl" Sarah Connor as seen in the original to hard-as-nails Sarah Connor (whilst still believable as the same character), but her performance just shines more every time I watch that movie. She sells every moment; action, pathos, everything. She is basically flawless in this movie. Yet somehow she's never quite remembered in the same way as other iconic action heroines. She should be.

Her sister as well!

t2w3mxcf3283.jpg

That's not a camera trick, editing trick, or anything. That's Leslie Hamilton in the background.

Leslie was in a couple of other moments in T2 as well - shots of the playground dream/nightmare sequence where they were both on-screen, and the director's cut scene with the "mirror" when John and Sarah are getting out the Terminator's CPU (which is one of my favourite shots in all of cinema, it's masterfully executed - that's not a mirror, it's a recreated set the other side with Arnold, Leslie Hamilton and John's double on the far side and Edward Furlong, Linda Hamilton and the puppet Terminator on the near side, with their actions perfectly synchronized to completely sell that the CPU assembly parts are being pulled out of Arnold's head with not even a whiff of CGI, it's all practical effects. I love it.)

• KanaKana Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bAa6gFvLs

Sneakers is friggin great

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Terminator 2 is such a fucking excellent movie, really

It's got everything, I love it

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. As sublime as she was in the original, she was goddamn amazing in T2. Her physical transformation was noted at the time, as she'd trained so hard to go from "everygirl" Sarah Connor as seen in the original to hard-as-nails Sarah Connor (whilst still believable as the same character), but her performance just shines more every time I watch it. She sells every moment; action, pathos, everything. She is basically flawless in this movie. Yet somehow she's never quite remembered in the same way as other iconic action heroines. She should be.

I agree with all that except for the part where she doesn't get recognized as being am iconic action heroine. Pretty sure I've never seen a top five list that doesn't have her on it.

It's like Ripley, Sarah Conner, <other stuff goes here>.

Hey fuck it, here's my top five list:

Ripley
    Sarah Conner
    Imperator Furiosa
    The Bride
    Trinity

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Sarah's whole sequence at the Dyson house is so damned amazing. Twenty-six years after I first watched it in the cinema, that whole sequence still puts my stomach in knots.

And it's not just the horror movie build up of tension, it's not just the editing and sound effects. Linda Hamilton bearing down on Miles like a monster, then breaking down- her every second on screen from the moment she enters the house is so painful. When she breaks down, "I love you, John," is so thoroughly earned. She did so much of the heavy lifting in that scene.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's a shame Linda suffers from I believe Bipolar depression? As I think that mostly cut her Hollywood career shorter than it should have been.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I think James Cameron also had some deleterious effects on people's careers for a good stretch

Notice that three of his films, almost in a row, featured a bunch of high-profile performances from good-to-excellent actors, who have been eternally relegated to also-ran status.

Michael Beihn was the leading man in two separate BFD action films in the 80's, was fucking amazing as Johnny Ringo, and is essentially a nobody.

Bill Paxton should've blown the fuck up after Aliens.

Robert Patrick was, just... damn, and essentially disappeared until Striptease, which was an embarrassmeant, then showed up to play Dagget on the X-Files. And he's basically been Rooker'd ever since.

Jeannette Goldstein played one of the most iconic female action heroes of all time, and is relegated to the background of everything ever.

FroThulhu wrote: »
    I think James Cameron also had some deleterious effects on people's careers for a good stretch

Notice that three of his films, almost in a row, featured a bunch of high-profile performances from good-to-excellent actors, who have been eternally relegated to also-ran status.

Michael Beihn was the leading man in two separate BFD action films in the 80's, was fucking amazing as Johnny Ringo, and is essentially a nobody.

Robert Patrick was, just... damn, and essentially disappeared until Striptease, which was an embarrassmeant, then showed up to play Dagget on the X-Files. And he's basically been Rooker'd ever since.

Jeannette Goldstein played one of the most iconic female action heroes of all time, and is relegated to the background of everything ever.

The drop off is weird too because I can't remember anyone from Avatar except the psycho general guy. He's like Spielberg, directing talent unlike wine does not apparently age well.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I always thought Cameron might have blacklisted Hamilton after their divorce just out of spite.

It's a very Hollywood thing to do.

ElJeffe wrote: »

I agree with all that except for the part where she doesn't get recognized as being am iconic action heroine. Pretty sure I've never seen a top five list that doesn't have her on it.

Ripley
    Sarah Conner
    Imperator Furiosa
    The Bride
    Trinity

Oh, she's definitely recognised for it, but perhaps more the character than the actress. But then, Ripley (for the obvious comparison) is totally Sigourney Weaver... maybe Linda's Sarah Connor specifically is slightly diluted by virtue of the character having been played by multiple other actresses. I dunno, just a thought.

ElJeffe wrote: »

Ripley
    Sarah Conner
    Imperator Furiosa
    The Bride
    Trinity

Oh, she's definitely recognised for it, but perhaps more the character than the actress. But then, Ripley (for the obvious comparison) is totally Sigourney Weaver... maybe Linda's Sarah Connor specifically is slightly diluted by virtue of the character having been played by multiple other actresses. I dunno, just a thought.

Sigourney also did Ghostbusters and to a lesser extent Gorillas in the Mist in relatively short order so she demonstrated her range pretty quickly where Hamilton didn't really do anything big before or between T1 or T2 and then after, so was too late to avoid being type cast, at which point, not a tonne of female action lead roles.

edited April 2017
    Sarah's whole sequence at the Dyson house is so damned amazing. Twenty-six years after I first watched it in the cinema, that whole sequence still puts my stomach in knots.

And it's not just the horror movie build up of tension, it's not just the editing and sound effects. Linda Hamilton bearing down on Miles like a monster, then breaking down- her every second on screen from the moment she enters the house is so painful. When she breaks down, "I love you, John," is so thoroughly earned. She did so much of the heavy lifting in that scene.

The "I love you, John" also juxtaposes with their scene in the car after their escape from Pescadero. They start what seems like a hug, but it quickly becomes apparent that Sarah is being all business because she's focused entirely on checking that John isn't injured, not holding her son for the first time in years. The irony being that that is what hurts John the most. Furlong is fantastic in that scene as well.

And, of course, in the Dyson house after Sarah breaks down, John shifts effortlessly into taking charge of the entire situation.

Jazz on

The drop off is weird too because I can't remember anyone from Avatar except the psycho general guy. He's like Spielberg, directing talent unlike wine does not apparently age well.

Zoe Saldana, she's Gamora in GOTG now. Michelle Rodriguez, too.

This discussion has been closed.