As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    In today's example of "actors, especially in genre movies / blockbusters / huge hits / classics / all of the above, who deliver frankly Oscar-worthy performances that really deserved more recognition both at the time and looking back"...

Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. As sublime as she was in the original, she was goddamn amazing in T2. Her physical transformation was noted at the time, as she'd trained so hard to go from "everygirl" Sarah Connor as seen in the original to hard-as-nails Sarah Connor (whilst still believable as the same character), but her performance just shines more every time I watch it. She sells every moment; action, pathos, everything. She is basically flawless in this movie. Yet somehow she's never quite remembered in the same way as other iconic action heroines. She should be.

I agree with all that except for the part where she doesn't get recognized as being am iconic action heroine. Pretty sure I've never seen a top five list that doesn't have her on it.

It's like Ripley, Sarah Conner, <other stuff goes here>.

Hey fuck it, here's my top five list:

Ripley
    Sarah Conner
    Imperator Furiosa
    The Bride
    Trinity

While Trinity is indeed a competent badass, she has nothing on the OG heroine that got everyone hooked, Princess Leia.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I think James Cameron also had some deleterious effects on people's careers for a good stretch

Notice that three of his films, almost in a row, featured a bunch of high-profile performances from good-to-excellent actors, who have been eternally relegated to also-ran status.

Michael Beihn was the leading man in two separate BFD action films in the 80's, was fucking amazing as Johnny Ringo, and is essentially a nobody.

Bill Paxton should've blown the fuck up after Aliens.

Robert Patrick was, just... damn, and essentially disappeared until Striptease, which was an embarrassmeant, then showed up to play Dagget on the X-Files. And he's basically been Rooker'd ever since.

Jeannette Goldstein played one of the most iconic female action heroes of all time, and is relegated to the background of everything ever.

The drop off is weird too because I can't remember anyone from Avatar except the psycho general guy. He's like Spielberg, directing talent unlike wine does not apparently age well.

Zoe Saldana, she's Gamora in GOTG now. Michelle Rodriguez, too.

I could've sworn under oath that Rodriguez was not in avatar so she didn't have much impact on me.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    In today's example of "actors, especially in genre movies / blockbusters / huge hits / classics / all of the above, who deliver frankly Oscar-worthy performances that really deserved more recognition both at the time and looking back"...

Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. As sublime as she was in the original, she was goddamn amazing in T2. Her physical transformation was noted at the time, as she'd trained so hard to go from "everygirl" Sarah Connor as seen in the original to hard-as-nails Sarah Connor (whilst still believable as the same character), but her performance just shines more every time I watch it. She sells every moment; action, pathos, everything. She is basically flawless in this movie. Yet somehow she's never quite remembered in the same way as other iconic action heroines. She should be.

I agree with all that except for the part where she doesn't get recognized as being am iconic action heroine. Pretty sure I've never seen a top five list that doesn't have her on it.

It's like Ripley, Sarah Conner, <other stuff goes here>.

Hey fuck it, here's my top five list:

Ripley
    Sarah Conner
    Imperator Furiosa
    The Bride
    Trinity

While Trinity is indeed a competent badass, she has nothing on the OG heroine that got everyone hooked, Princess Leia.

I don't remember Princess Leia doing anything like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jAszMTCVuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEuZgK669zY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb6bA4J1Gbg

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think James Cameron also had some deleterious effects on people's careers for a good stretch

Notice that three of his films, almost in a row, featured a bunch of high-profile performances from good-to-excellent actors, who have been eternally relegated to also-ran status.

Michael Beihn was the leading man in two separate BFD action films in the 80's, was fucking amazing as Johnny Ringo, and is essentially a nobody.

Robert Patrick was, just... damn, and essentially disappeared until Striptease, which was an embarrassmeant, then showed up to play Dagget on the X-Files. And he's basically been Rooker'd ever since.

Jeannette Goldstein played one of the most iconic female action heroes of all time, and is relegated to the background of everything ever.

The drop off is weird too because I can't remember anyone from Avatar except the psycho general guy. He's like Spielberg, directing talent unlike wine does not apparently age well.

I could've sworn under oath that Rodriguez was not in avatar so she didn't have much impact on me.

Oh you don't remember this cringeworthy scene?

q3a0julo5gxe.jpg

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
  • Options
    also just gonna link this because you're gonna get there anyway after you fall down the montage hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1l5m-h6Ugo

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Shame about the video notes on its YouTube page specifically insulting Kate Beckinsale. That left a nasty taste in my mouth.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Your Name is a really good film that is only in theaters for like, this weekend and maybe next weekend?

While the plot starts out feeling like it's just re-treading some well-known cinema concepts, it turns them on their head pretty quickly and ends up being quite poignant and affecting. It's also awe-inspiringly gorgeous - I wouldn't begrudge anyone choosing to see it dubbed simply so that they don't have to look away from the visuals even for a moment.

An addendum, since I had some time to think about it: What's wonderful about the film is that it starts out highly personal, then expands into something that encompasses so much more, yet it manages this while maintaining the strong personal connections that it started with.

Which makes sense, as the film is about connections, in a number of ways.

I'd like to see it, but the closest showing is in Atlanta, which was a two hour drive before the bridge on I-85 burned down.

Hey, if I can drive over two hours to see it, so can you!

It's 39 minutes away in Miami. I'm tempted, but it might get wider release in Broward/Boca(I can't imagine why not).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Is it time to bring up Hollywood Hacking again, or television forensics?

Popular entertainment, with rare exceptions, is / has been / always will be crap at presenting technical subjects accurately, because those subjects are complicated, opaque, and/or boring to non-experts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Holy sweet shit my brainmeats are melting

"I am the bestest hacker ever, so great that my hacking is even appearing on YOUR SCREEN I am H4X0R."

Jesus christ that is the dumbest thing...

There's supposedly a contest of sorts in writers' circles. They deliberately go out of their way to make the dumbest hacking scenes imaginable.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is it time to bring up Hollywood Hacking again, or television forensics?

Popular entertainment, with rare exceptions, is / has been / always will be crap at presenting technical subjects accurately, because those subjects are complicated, opaque, and/or boring to non-experts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Holy sweet shit my brainmeats are melting

"I am the bestest hacker ever, so great that my hacking is even appearing on YOUR SCREEN I am H4X0R."

Jesus christ that is the dumbest thing...

There's supposedly a contest of sorts in writers' circles. They deliberately go out of their way to make the dumbest hacking scenes imaginable.

PA themselves did pretty well with this: https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/07/16

(linked because the image is over 500K, I'm on my phone and I can't be bothered to download, resize, and upload on a phone.)

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

<image>

All scenes involving Michelle Rodriguez are cringeworthy. She's terrible.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I rewatched most of The Force Awakens again last night

It's kinda hard to watch, on an intellectual level -- Jabrams lifts huge chunks of ANH wholesale, and doesn't give the movie a second to breathe. There's so much going on that doesn't get more than a tiny crumb of fleshing out, and so, so many contrivances it makes me hurt in the brainparts that do thinkmaking. There's more than a few glaring plot holes that never get filled in, and some of the srsbzns dialogue clunks hard

and yet . . . it still works. It works because Oscar Isaac sets the tone immediately as irreverent and fun, and that's carried on with his chemistry with John Boyega soon after. It works because it feels like Star Wars in every frame, and every shot composition in the film has 10x the craftsmanship than any single second of the PT did. It's earthy and oily and its got dirt under its nails, and knows that the worlds that exist in the GFFA aren't sterile and chrome--they're dusty and greasy and might smell like a truck stop. It works because Harrison Ford kinda looks like he actually enjoyed being in a movie for a change.

It works because it's Star Wars, and it knows what that means.

Atomika on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    TFA also is home to the best "thumbs up" scene in cinema history.

Oh god, I did something there I never did for all 3 of the PT: I laughed.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I agree with the problems of Force Awakens, and disagree that it works despite it. It's not a Star Wars movie, it's a movie about being a Star Wars fan. It treats the original trilogy with so much respect that it's terrified of doing anything with it, large portions of the movie can be summarized as, "Hey, remember how cool it was in the OT when..."

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I rewatched most of The Force Awakens again last night

It's kinda hard to watch, on an intellectual level -- Jabrams lifts huge chunks of ANH wholesale, and doesn't give the movie a second to breathe. There's so much going on that doesn't get more than a tiny crumb of fleshing out, and so, so many contrivances it makes me hurt in the brainparts that do thinkmaking. There's more than a few glaring plot holes that never get filled in, and some of the srsbzns dialogue clunks hard

and yet . . . it still works. It works because Oscar Isaac sets the tone immediately as irreverent and fun, and that's carried on with his chemistry with John Boyega soon after. It works because it feels like Star Wars in every frame, and every shot composition in the film has 10x the craftsmanship than any single second of the PT did. It's earthy and oily and its got dirt under its nails, and knows that the worlds that exist in the GFFA aren't sterile and chrome--they're dusty and greasy and might smell like a truck stop. It works because Harrison Ford kinda looks like he actually enjoyed being in a movie for a change.

It works because it's Star Wars, and it knows what that means.

I thought Ford phoned it in as much as ever and what happened to his character was the best thing for the series, guy hasn't given a shit in decades.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    I agree with the problems of Force Awakens, and disagree that it works despite it. It's not a Star Wars movie, it's a movie about being a Star Wars fan. It treats the original trilogy with so much respect that it's terrified of doing anything with it, large portions of the movie can be summarized as, "Hey, remember how cool it was in the OT when..."

I disagree.

I felt it was the perfect film to reintroduce Star Wars. The series was surrounded by trepidation by fans and people needed to know they were going to get something that felt familiar.

Yes, it rehashed the OT very quickly. Yes, there was Starbase explody thing. But all of that was secondary to creating the characters and giving us faith that we wouldn't get another "Sand gets everywhere" or "Mesa so godsa fucking annoyingsa" moment.

• Options
    Basically, TFA was the detergent they used to wipe the stank off of the Star Wars name after those shit-ass PT films.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

It was a great thumbs up. But I don't know if it would top the thumbs up from T2, or the thumbs up from The Guest.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

<image>

All scenes involving Michelle Rodriguez are cringeworthy. She's terrible.

And yet I love her in everything.

M-Rod <3

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

It was a great thumbs up. But I don't know if it would top the thumbs up from T2, or the thumbs up from The Guest.

The T2 thumbs up is a classic ending that gives ya the feels.

The TFA thumbs up scene was the single defining moment where we knew this was Star Wars. It's not the best scene in the movie, most touching, or most memorable... but goddamn it got everyone in the theater locked in.

:+1:

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I disagree.

I felt it was the perfect film to reintroduce Star Wars. The series was surrounded by trepidation by fans and people needed to know they were going to get something that felt familiar.

Yes, it rehashed the OT very quickly. Yes, there was Starbase explody thing. But all of that was secondary to creating the characters and giving us faith that we wouldn't get another "Sand gets everywhere" or "Mesa so godsa fucking annoyingsa" moment.

I still don't think it's a coincidence that the very first line of the movie is "This will begin to make things right."

• Options
    TFA could have been a good movie had it bothered to explain the political spectrum at all. Instead we got a bunch of well acted style and no substance.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TFA could have been a good movie had it bothered to explain the political spectrum at all. Instead we got a bunch of well acted style and no substance.

Yeah, I was also hoping for 2 hours of trade agreements and legislative sessions.

• Options

Yeah, I was also hoping for 2 hours of trade agreements and legislative sessions.

I would have preferred that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Force Awakens is great, and better than A New Hope. But is unfair, what with having the tech to pull off crazy new visuals and getting to trade on the shorthand of the already built relationships.

I do hope The Last Jedi feels less 'familiar' though. It can be the dark middle chapter, but I don't want it to feel beat for beat like a retread of Empire Strikes Back...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Force Awakens is probably my least favorite of the films.

Actually, it definitely is. The more I think about how much it screws with the established canon and doesn't bother to explain any of it, the more I like to pretend it never happened.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Basically, TFA was the detergent they used to wipe the stank off of the Star Wars name after those shit-ass PT films.

Yeah, I see it very similar. I've said before that TFA is basically a proof-of-concept pitch to the fanbase at large to show Star Wars is in the right hands.

• Options
    edited April 2017

Yeah, I see it very similar. I've said before that TFA is basically a proof-of-concept pitch to the fanbase at large to show Star Wars is in the right hands.

Rogue One felt like the right hands. TFA felt like the wrong ones.

Rogue One pays homage to the PT and the OT without trying to copy it wholesale. TFA likes to pretend the prequels never happened and just copies the OT, upping the ante every so often with the occasional wink wink/nudge nudge.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Force Awakens is great, and better than A New Hope. But is unfair, what with having the tech to pull off crazy new visuals and getting to trade on the shorthand of the already built relationships.

I do hope The Last Jedi feels less 'familiar' though. It can be the dark middle chapter, but I don't want it to feel beat for beat like a retread of Empire Strikes Back...

I really believe TLJ is in the right hands to give us something different. Looper, yo.

I'm a little worried about IX though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

I really believe TLJ is in the right hands to give us something different. Looper, yo.

I'm a little worried about IX though.

I have high hopes for TLJ. If it fails, then I probably won't even watch IX.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

TFA likes to pretend the prequels never happened

Best part about it.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Rogue One pays homage to the PT and the OT without trying to copy it wholesale. TFA likes to pretend the prequels never happened and just copies the OT, upping the ante every so often with the occasional wink wink/nudge nudge.

I just rewatched Rogue One yesterday. With the rose tint of OMG NEW STAR WARS MOVIE ON IMAX removed, I found it to be half of a humdrum experience with a few cool fights, stapled to an hour of amazing sci fi war footage.

It definitely felt like a movie from the guy who gave us Godzilla '14.

I mean, it was never bad. But it was slow to start, not all of the character beats were compelling, and I didn't feel much during
    roughly half of the character deaths at the end.

But goddamm, did shit blow up good. Like, if Gareth Edwards was just made Chief Director of All the Star Wars Combat Scenes Ever, I would be okay with that.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I still think seeing TFA in 3D was a good choice on my part.

Good job, me.

Seeing the lightsabers with a full 3 dimensions was really fucking cool. Seeing them as the focal point during the forest scene was mindblowing. The reflections on the snow and ahhhhhh it was like nirvana for my eyeballs.

I can't wait for Ep 8.

(Please note my senses are easily entertained by colored lights and your mileage my vary)

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wait, Edwards actually showed stuff being blown up in Rogue One, he didn't just cut away to his middle finger this time?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    TFA 3D was brilliant and really ridiculously impressive for a post conversion. Shame 3D is dying.

R1 without the Star Wars veneer would be nothing special.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I felt rather attached to the whole Rogue One crew. I think I even know all their full names, which I can't say is the case for most ensemble team movies!
    Jyn Erso, Cassian Andor, Chirrut Imwe,
    Baze Malbus, K2SO and Bodhi... Rook?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I regret not seeing TFA in 3D. I'd like to correct that one day but I don't know anyone with a 3D telly. I've heard Jakku in particular has stunning depth.

R1, on the other hand, is best appreciated in 2D. The 3D in that did nothing for me, and I vastly preferred when I saw it in 2D.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I just rewatched Rogue One yesterday. With the rose tint of OMG NEW STAR WARS MOVIE ON IMAX removed, I found it to be half of a humdrum experience with a few cool fights, stapled to an hour of amazing sci fi war footage.

It definitely felt like a movie from the guy who gave us Godzilla '14.

I mean, it was never bad. But it was slow to start, not all of the character beats were compelling, and I didn't feel much during
    roughly half of the character deaths at the end.

But goddamm, did shit blow up good. Like, if Gareth Edwards was just made Chief Director of All the Star Wars Combat Scenes Ever, I would be okay with that.

R1 ultimately felt kinda hollow to me. It's all flash, no substance.

TFA, for all it's faults, I felt invested in and I liked the characters and wanted to see more.

Plus R1 has nothing even close to the depth of a character like Kylo Ren.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I felt rather attached to the whole Rogue One crew. I think I even know all their full names, which I can't say is the case for most ensemble team movies!
    Jyn Erso, Cassian Andor, Chirrut Imwe,
    Baze Malbus, K2SO and Bodhi... Rook?

Wait, i think i can do this.

Jyn Erso
    Cassidy Andouille
    K2-D2
    Forrest Whitaker
    Anna Krenndrick
    The Render Formerly Known As Tarken
    Most of a Death Star

How did I do?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    You got a single engine ignition

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.