As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Link's Awakening remake coming to Switch in 2019

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited February 2019 in Games and Technology
This..is the new Legend of Zelda.

cvBTBGv.jpg

*record scratch noise*

Wait, no. Actually, this is it:

5pFsrob.jpg

This new chapter in the Zelda series will expand the boundaries of Hyrule. Previous Zelda games have tried to convey the feeling that you're part of a huge, living world, but this game looks to be the first one to deliver on that promise. Just like A Link Between Worlds, this game will also challenge the tried-and-true conventions of the Zelda series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmxvig1dXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPxiXXxftE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDFZIUdo764

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

After a long development process and several delays, the game has finally been released on March 3rd, 2017 worldwide on both Wii U and the Nintendo Switch. In terms of gameplay, both versions are identical, but the Switch version will feature better graphics, a more stable frame rate and a better draw distance.

A number of amiibo will be compatible with the game:

pkIpuk2.jpg

The Wolf Link amiibo, which originally came packaged with Twilight Princess HD, allows you to summon Wolf Link, who will accompany you on your adventure for a while. Wolf Link's health depends on the health you had when you cleared the Cave of Shadows in Twilight Princess HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfFnLoiLqk

sVsXw26.jpg

The Zelda 30th anniversary amiibo allow you to get various items in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0mG0BOh4-A

Uxgup8A.jpg?1

Finally, five brand new amiibo are also available. You can get various unique and powerful items from them.

A number of special editions for the Switch version were also released. By now, these are pretty hard at retail stores.

PLV58yw.jpg?1

VlPg0nr.jpg?1

rqWI3v8.png?1

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Maz- on

• dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Speaking of nice touches on the animation, and sorry, not great with the names of the enemies, but I also love the little wave hello the wizards give before blasting you.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I should have grabbed the Toon Link+Zelda set when I saw it. Had it in my hand and thought "Nah, maybe I'll grab it later". At least I bought the OoT and 8 bit Link that day.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    A minor tip I found messing with small rocks, you can immediately grab anything you uncover when lifting by quickly pressing the A button again as Link does the lift animation. No more trying to put down a rock only to have the critter run away. In fact when you are moving with a rock above your head pressing A will make you drop it without the animation compared to Link leaning down to drop the rock when standing still. Checking every rock is a little bit faster by just running around spamming the A button, you drop rocks faster and grab anything you uncover.

Not just critters but you'll be surprised to find ore/rupees fairly often as well.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    A minor tip I found messing with small rocks, you can immediately grab anything you uncover when lifting by quickly pressing the A button again as Link does the lift animation. No more trying to put down a rock only to have the critter run away. In fact when you are moving with a rock above your head pressing A will make you drop it without the animation compared to Link leaning down to drop the rock when standing still. Checking every rock is a little bit faster by just running around spamming the A button, you drop rocks faster and grab anything you uncover.

Not just critters but you'll be surprised to find ore/rupees fairly often as well.

Yeah this trick is invaluable when hunting Fireproof Lizards in the Southern Mine.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    dantree wrote: »
    Speaking of nice touches on the animation, and sorry, not great with the names of the enemies, but I also love the little wave hello the wizards give before blasting you.

And the enemies getting mad at you when you steal their weapons.

My first foray into Hyrule Castle was... not good. But hey, I'm at the endgame, so better buckle up and do it right next time.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I am obsessed with the glowing blue ghost bunny

should I be y/n

also fuck whoever thought it was a good idea to put that damn tilt-a-ball shrine in the game I want to beat his head

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Finally crossed the finish line. Man, what a finale.
    The bit with the horse wasn't exactly hard, but good lord, was it epic.

I also managed to find all but three of the shrines without having to look them up, though I'll admit I leaned on the Sheikah sensor.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

should I be y/n

also fuck whoever thought it was a good idea to put that damn tilt-a-ball shrine in the game I want to beat his head

Yeah those are silly.

With the WiiU at least I thought it was funny that you could
    just flip the gamepad over and roll the ball on the Upsidedown Place of the gameboard.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

should I be y/n

Depends on how strapped you are for cash.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ShadowBladeShadowBlade Registered User regular

should I be y/n

Likely you've done it now, but in case not:
    In TV mode, flip the system (or controller if you're playing on WiiU like me) right over. No walls. and I found this method simple. Got it second try.

This world needs a new philosophy. No more, "Could be worse..." I say SHOULD BE BETTER!

should I be y/n

In TV mode, flip the system (or controller if you're playing on WiiU like me) right over. No walls. and I found this method simple. Got it second try.

I was actually ok with the whole thing until the very last bit where you need to flip it up a bit to make it over the gap. The ball would never move fast enough to make it.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Has anyone gotten epona to spawn a second time in the same playthrough? i wasted mine before i understood about the registration and left her on a mountain somewhere. havent seen her again since.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    what does strength do for a horse?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten epona to spawn a second time in the same playthrough? i wasted mine before i understood about the registration and left her on a mountain somewhere. havent seen her again since.

I have

twice!

Too bad you can't use amiibo inside shrines, would have been the perfect place to spawn stuff, indoors and flat with no interruptions.

Too bad you can't use amiibo inside shrines, would have been the perfect place to spawn stuff, indoors and flat with no interruptions.

I use great plateau and kakariko village

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

should I be y/n

Take its picture for sure.
    Oh! I should shoot it with a light arrow next time I see one

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KPCKPC Registered User regular

I was actually ok with the whole thing until the very last bit where you need to flip it up a bit to make it over the gap. The ball would never move fast enough to make it.

I rotated the Switch like a lazy Susan so that the ball would land in the lane leading up to the ramp. That way I just had to focus on getting enough momentum to flip the ball over the gap.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    got a switch this weekend and got to play zelda

i have to stop confusing my paraglider button with my 'throw your favorite sword off a cliff into the river' button

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I'm sure you were just subconsciously sensing an Oktorok and were overcome by the totally understandable urge to remove it from the universe

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • KPCKPC Registered User regular
    got a switch this weekend and got to play zelda

i have to stop confusing my paraglider button with my 'throw your favorite sword off a cliff into the river' button

Fish it back out with Magnesis :)

When I was still waffling about where I wanted to map the jump button I had many paraglider death-related hijinks.

Also yet another little gameplay thing, you can do a sort of mario-like "long jump" by moving forward then quickly tapping the dash and then the jump buttons. Jumping during a sprint lets you leap a bit farther, but with this you can do it from a standstill, like say atop a cryosis pillar, while consuming only a tiny bit of stamina compared to finding room to do a proper realistic sprinting jump.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So in the new file I've started, I'm already at 1/5 of the Korok seeds I'd found previously. As far as total land explored, aside from the starting area, I've only got one half of the Dueling Peaks area explored. I've also gotten more diligent about checking bodies of water for goodies. And basically any time I see an axe, I hobble off to cut down some forest or another immediately. Last habit I've picked up is any bokoblin camp I come across, I smash up whatever crates and such I can using their weapons (preferably two-handed crap; I hate two-handed weapons in this game anyway). I have a lot of arrows and apples.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Did anybody else find the Tingle Island chain really underwhelming

The process to get out there is so harrowing that I was expecting a little more than what I got

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    For amiibo I use the small flat field to the right of the house in Hateno. Just make sure you're not spawning it right by the cliff's edge

It's a great place to take photos too! I mow the lawn with a sword then throw the item down, and sometimes jump on the fence to get a good angle

But I'd definitely try to respawn epona right in front of a stable.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    My main problem with the rolling-ball puzzles was the weird physics on the balls themselves. I played Labyrinth as a little lad and the orbs in Breath of the Wild weren't nearly as sensitive as real life.

Got the second shrine around Kakariko Village, which was a whole thing because you have to get through three sidequests before you even trigger the event that opens the quest to get to that shrine, then you have to figure that out. Fortunately i'm at the point where i'm just leaning on the guide for all of this stuff. Anti-frustration.

Molybdenum wrote: »

The process to get out there is so harrowing that I was expecting a little more than what I got

He's in this?!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Did anybody
    else find the Tingle Island chain
    really underwhelming

He's in this?!

Yeah, wait what? Where?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

He's in this?!

And all three of his rarely-seen brothers! Go out and find them in the East!
    They're islands, uninhabited and guarded by flying guardians for no discernible reason. One island has a shrine, and it's piss-easy to get around any challenge by just using Revali's Gale to fly to the island with the shrine and bypass the whole ordeal.

He's in this?!

Yeah that's a spoiler I absolutely would have liked to discover myself. Thanks.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I can't believe I'm about to ask this, but... What's the deal with acquiring Amiibo? I would like to get one of the cool armor sets for a second play through, specifically the OOT outfit. But they're not for sale and eBay has them at like $60. Are they only available for a short time? Sorry that this is pretty dumb, I just never understood the appeal. Even now, I don't care much about the figure, I just want the in-game benefit.

Terrendos wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm about to ask this, but... What's the deal with acquiring Amiibo? I would like to get one of the cool armor sets for a second play through, specifically the OOT outfit. But they're not for sale and eBay has them at like $60. Are they only available for a short time? Sorry that this is pretty dumb, I just never understood the appeal. Even now, I don't care much about the figure, I just want the in-game benefit.

As near as I can tell, Nintendo hates money and doesn't listen to their fans when they say "please give us more product so we can give you all of our monies"

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well that was embarrassing. I was using a raft for like the 2nd time ever in this game, but I couldn't get it to budge. Even charged korok leaf blasts weren't doing it.
    Then I noticed the raft was tied to the dock with a rope. MAKES SENSE.

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

He's in this?!

Yeah that's a spoiler I absolutely would have liked to discover myself. Thanks.

Don't get frustrated.
    Tingle is not in the game. There is a place called Tingel Island (note the spelling). It shows up on your map when you activate one of the towers. So this is only a spoiler for the name of an area that has nothing to do with the character it's named after.

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Well that was embarrassing. I was using a raft for like the 2nd time ever in this game, but I couldn't get it to budge. Even charged korok leaf blasts weren't doing it.
    Then I noticed the raft was tied to the dock with a rope. MAKES SENSE.

yes i did that last night while trying to raft for the first time

got on it and said to my girlfriend, 'watch this'

then i just waved a leaf in the air while nothing happened

2 minutes later i look and, yep, roped to the dock

3 more arrows later and hey it works

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    As far as the Tingle thing...
    Hes under a new name and works in construction. I think you all knew that.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    So far my master sword plan on this new save is going well,
    You need 13 hearts total to pull the sword. Not counting the hearts from the divine beasts that means you need 10 additional to your starting 3 so 40 shrines. There are 4 shrines in Korok Forest so that means I go exploring areas I never been before while delaying completing divine beasts until I hit 36 shrines. Mess with hearts/stamina all I want thanks to the Hateno statue 36 is the magic number I roll into the forest. Every blight ganon boss will taste the master sword this time around.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

He's in this?!

And all three of his rarely-seen brothers! Go out and find them in the East!
    They're islands, uninhabited and guarded by flying guardians for no discernible reason. One island has a shrine, and it's piss-easy to get around any challenge by just using Revali's Gale to fly to the island with the shrine and bypass the whole ordeal.

I think I found some good ore there and a lightning weapon. Memory is a bit hazy though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    You need 13 hearts total to pull the sword. Not counting the hearts from the divine beasts that means you need 10 additional to your starting 3 so 40 shrines. There are 4 shrines in Korok Forest so that means I go exploring areas I never been before while delaying completing divine beasts until I hit 36 shrines. Mess with hearts/stamina all I want thanks to the Hateno statue 36 is the magic number I roll into the forest. Every blight ganon boss will taste the master sword this time around.

You may be overlooking something.
    Namely, you can craft some food/a potion that gives you extra hearts, and use it during the pull.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You may be overlooking something.
    Namely, you can craft some food/a potion that gives you extra hearts, and use it during the pull.

Uh no, that doesn't work. It's even called out by the narration somewhat around there.