As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Link's Awakening remake coming to Switch in 2019

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So far my master sword plan on this new save is going well,
    You need 13 hearts total to pull the sword. Not counting the hearts from the divine beasts that means you need 10 additional to your starting 3 so 40 shrines. There are 4 shrines in Korok Forest so that means I go exploring areas I never been before while delaying completing divine beasts until I hit 36 shrines. Mess with hearts/stamina all I want thanks to the Hateno statue 36 is the magic number I roll into the forest. Every blight ganon boss will taste the master sword this time around.

You may be overlooking something.
    Namely, you can craft some food/a potion that gives you extra hearts, and use it during the pull.

I was told that does not work!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It doesn't work.

In other news, this game gets many bonus points for actually doing a good job of the 'hidden wall' thing. Usually in video games destroyable or openable walls that are meant to blend in with their surroundings don't fucking pull the look off at all. But in BotW, they blend in pretty damn well. They're still distinguished, but damn. I've been coming across more than a few that I previously missed.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    It doesn't work.

In other news, this game gets many bonus points for actually doing a good job of the 'hidden wall' thing. Usually in video games destroyable or openable walls that are meant to blend in with their surroundings don't fucking pull the look off at all. But in BotW, they blend in pretty damn well. They're still distinguished, but damn. I've been coming across more than a few that I previously missed.

They also get an A+ for hiding things.

I love the fact that you have to really pay attention to topography in this game.

I also love that you can walk right by a shrine and it will be completely hidden, turn around, and see it perfectly at a new angle.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My baby niece just made a Korok noise after hearing it.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Fi will know if you are a poser.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm about to ask this, but... What's the deal with acquiring Amiibo? I would like to get one of the cool armor sets for a second play through, specifically the OOT outfit. But they're not for sale and eBay has them at like $60. Are they only available for a short time? Sorry that this is pretty dumb, I just never understood the appeal. Even now, I don't care much about the figure, I just want the in-game benefit.

As near as I can tell, Nintendo hates money and doesn't listen to their fans when they say "please give us more product so we can give you all of our monies"

So the answer is... I'm boned? Nintendo won't release another batch later or anything?

• Options
    I can't believe I'm about to ask this, but... What's the deal with acquiring Amiibo? I would like to get one of the cool armor sets for a second play through, specifically the OOT outfit. But they're not for sale and eBay has them at like $60. Are they only available for a short time? Sorry that this is pretty dumb, I just never understood the appeal. Even now, I don't care much about the figure, I just want the in-game benefit.

As near as I can tell, Nintendo hates money and doesn't listen to their fans when they say "please give us more product so we can give you all of our monies"

So the answer is... I'm boned? Nintendo won't release another batch later or anything?

no one knows (possibly not even nintendo), but I'd put my money on yes =/

I'd rather put my money in nintendo though

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    also at first i didn't realize that using the glider costs stamina

so i was gliding and ran out of stamina and fell

luckily i was only like 10 feet above the ground

unluckily the ground was a small pond and i instantly drowned

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

This is pretty much my only gripe about the game. Drowning literal inches from shore is such a frustrating thing. I wish there was a 'burn hearts for one last lunge' kind of thing but I suppose that would just delay the annoyance.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

This is pretty much my only gripe about the game. Drowning literal inches from shore is such a frustrating thing. I wish there was a 'burn hearts for one last lunge' kind of thing but I suppose that would just delay the annoyance.

Well thats how drowning works. But it actually does have a mechanic like that. if you speed swim or jump climb with your sta meter in the red, you jump/surge twice as far. better make sure you will hit that shore however.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Well thats how drowning works. But it actually does have a mechanic like that. if you speed swim or jump climb with your sta meter in the red, you jump/surge twice as far. better make sure you will hit that shore however.

No, I mean on top of that, literally taking hearts away. Moot point as its not in the game. Just bitching about drowning when Link could just, you know, put his feet down.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I don't think its a violation of realism. you can drown in a few inches of water.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    My only real complaint with the stamina system is that using stamina doesn't affect your temperature.
    Running around full tilt generates heat which should jiggle the thermometer at least a little. Maybe it makes you warm enough to survive the cold a bit longer but also makes you take more damage in the desert. And exhaustion should carry a penalty in those circumstances too.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

According to datamining Nintendo will release some more Zelda Amiibo in the near future that will unlock most of the stuff unique to the Smash line.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular

BotW miibs should have enough legs to merit a reprint, even if it isn't until the holiday season. They'll be pushing the Switch and Zelda then and it really would be passing up free money.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »

BotW miibs should have enough legs to merit a reprint, even if it isn't until the holiday season. They'll be pushing the Switch and Zelda then and it really would be passing up free money.

Unfortunately, it looks like the one I want is from the Ocarina of Time Link, which... I don't know that they'd care about.

Fortunately, it looks like the other set I'd like is from an unreleased Amiibo, so maybe I can still get that one without spending an arm and a leg.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    My only real complaint with the stamina system is that using stamina doesn't affect your temperature.
    Running around full tilt generates heat which should jiggle the thermometer at least a little. Maybe it makes you warm enough to survive the cold a bit longer but also makes you take more damage in the desert. And exhaustion should carry a penalty in those circumstances too.

That's an interesting idea, but my bigger beef is that I think clothing should offer more variety in warmth. Like, the Hylian Tunic should keep you warmer than the Climbing Gear would, etc., but it doesn't because only stuff like the Warm Doublet has the Cold Resistance trait. Furthermore, wearing items that keep you warmer should also reduce your resistance to Heat...it seems like there was an opportunity for a pretty small change here that would have made armor equipment much more engaging, and they approach the idea but don't quite hit it. Probably for simplicity's sake, but "Lots of Clothes = Warmer" and "Less Clothes = Colder" is a pretty easy concept.

I have a number of minor quibbles with the game along these lines, but I feel like the fact that I am complaining about these things just shows how polished the rest of the game is, leaving me to whine about pretty inconsequential things.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I don't think its a violation of realism. you can drown in a few inches of water.

Uhh, maybe if Link was 8-months-old.

I mean, there's hand-waving silliness and then there's hand-waving silliness.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

That's an interesting idea, but my bigger beef is that I think clothing should offer more variety in warmth. Like, the Hylian Tunic should keep you warmer than the Climbing Gear would, etc., but it doesn't because only stuff like the Warm Doublet has the Cold Resistance trait. Furthermore, wearing items that keep you warmer should also reduce your resistance to Heat...it seems like there was an opportunity for a pretty small change here that would have made armor equipment much more engaging, and they approach the idea but don't quite hit it. Probably for simplicity's sake, but "Lots of Clothes = Warmer" and "Less Clothes = Colder" is a pretty easy concept.

I have a number of minor quibbles with the game along these lines, but I feel like the fact that I am complaining about these things just shows how polished the rest of the game is, leaving me to whine about pretty inconsequential things.

Sure, but lots of clothes could equal better protection, but not always. My climbing bandana being my most protective head piece at the moment...huh?

At some point fun trumps realism.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Another thing to give this game props for: Octoroks being actually dangerous again. The first Zelda game they were deadly. Every game since they've been a joke. But in BotW, they may not be deadly per se but if you're not watching for them they will get you.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Another thing to give this game props for: Octoroks being actually dangerous again. The first Zelda game they were deadly. Every game since they've been a joke. But in BotW, they may not be deadly per se but if you're not watching for them they will get you.

Yeah, and there are variants of them that are downright brutal if you aren't paying attention.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    How are you supposed to fight
    Thunderblight Ganon?
    . I just kinda brute forced him. Didn't feel like I ever hit on the proper strat / solved the boss puzzle so to speak. It was very unsatisfying.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Found the last shrine of Central Tower,
    which was inside Hyrule Castle.

Now it's off to the Gerudo highlands to climb the icy heights.

There's supposed to be a heat-resistant bug up here somewhere, right? I've had a quest in Kara Kara Bazaar forever asking for a cold-resistant elixir.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    You could probably just talk to Beedle. Meet with him in a stable near the desert, and he'll probably have some heat-resistant bugs for sale.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Thunderblight Ganon?
    . I just kinda brute forced him. Didn't feel like I ever hit on the proper strat / solved the boss puzzle so to speak. It was very unsatisfying.
    IIRC, you were supposed to use magnesis to get the thunderstrikes on his lightning rods to hit him or something? But yeah, I just brute forced him too

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Just beat the game
    Was really hoping it would let me go and explore the castle after minus the corruption but oh well. Great game.

Some of the dlc seems to be story stuff? Any idea if it starts at the end or will it just be new stuff found in the game as is?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    what does strength do for a horse?

Didn't see this answered yet.

Strength rates your Horse's health. 60 HP (fifteen hearts) per star.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Do horses recover health over time? I am usually pretty good about getting off ol' Agatha well before the battle begins but, well, things happen.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Do horses recover health over time? I am usually pretty good about getting off ol' Agatha well before the battle begins but, well, things happen.

i think stables

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Thunderblight Ganon?
    IIRC, you were supposed to use magnesis to get the thunderstrikes on his lightning rods to hit him or something? But yeah, I just brute forced him too

yeah, that's the trick
    if he gets hit even once with one of his lightning bolts, he will return to the old pattern which makes killing him a snap.

There is usually a rune trick or two for each boss fight which is pretty great.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ... I just realized Link isn't left-handed in Breath of the Wild.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

i think stables

You can also feed them food.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Try feeding one an Endura Carrot.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Thunderblight Ganon?

yeah, that's the trick
    if he gets hit even once with one of his lightning bolts, he will return to the old pattern which makes killing him a snap.

What are you supposed to do when he
    quickly teleports in front of your face? Just keeping my shield up didn't seem to save me from getting smacked down. Tried parrying but couldn't pull it off.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Thunderblight Ganon?

yeah, that's the trick

What are you supposed to do when he
    quickly teleports in front of your face? Just keeping my shield up didn't seem to save me from getting smacked down. Tried parrying but couldn't pull it off.

One thing you can do
    They always teleport three times and slash

Backflip at the right moment and you get you a flurry rush

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Fuck, well now I feel silly. Like the one thing I didn't try.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I mean I kind of assume that
    you can also parry? but I've never seen it. Will try it next time I face them

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I'm starting to listen through the Memories as done by the Spanish voice actors. Revali's is the fucking worst. As someone from a Mexican family, I know what it sounds like when someone is being a smug dick and Revali's Spanish voice actor was so far away from that.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Thunderblight Ganon?

I was taking so long that Urbosa began hinting at that solution very strongly. I feel like I should have grasped that sooner. Thunderblight is no joke.
    I'm starting to listen through the Memories as done by the Spanish voice actors. Revali's is the fucking worst. As someone from a Mexican family, I know what it sounds like when someone is being a smug dick and Revali's Spanish voice actor was so far away from that.

English Revali is a top-tier Dick. In general I tend to think the English actors actually did a good job, Zelda in particular. Her resentment and self-loathing were portrayed excellently. And hoo-boy, her journal is a feels trip. Top marks for her characterisation.

edzepp on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Try feeding one an Endura Carrot.

On a side note, if you're looking for a reliable spawn point for them:
    The Leviathan skeleton in Gerudo Desert.