As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    The main thing the Burial Blade has going is a swag moveset and huge rally modifier. Throw a rally rune on top of it and you will get back vials worth of health.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    What're everyone's thoughts on skill weapons? I started playing with the burial blade on this char at just about the end of the main game and I'm not sure whether it actually does anything better than the saif. Mostly I wanted to have a weapon that replaces the gun on L2 for fights where I don't use it.
    I also got the blades of mercy and rakuyo but I don't feel much like using them. I remember being very unimpressed by BOM and rakuyo makes me think "BOM except one of them is longer".

I mean, I like all those weapons you mentioned, but they all play very differently. If you want an L2 skill weapon, burial blade is basically your only option (I used it to great effect on defiled amygdala). Rakuyo's L2 is pretty much for pvp only with some limited crowd hitting ability

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Church Pick is another option.

• Options
    Church Pick's L2 is rather shit except for its speed; I've never found a use for it.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Started up a new character on Saturday, and after playing so much Nioh it's amusing how slow this game now feels. I'm so rusty that I actually died against Father Gascan.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten what it was. I was thinkong it was more like Burial Blade's.

Rakuyo L2 is really good in pve, though. It's got hyper armor!

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Cromarty wrote: »
    What're everyone's thoughts on skill weapons? I started playing with the burial blade on this char at just about the end of the main game and I'm not sure whether it actually does anything better than the saif. Mostly I wanted to have a weapon that replaces the gun on L2 for fights where I don't use it.
    I also got the blades of mercy and rakuyo but I don't feel much like using them. I remember being very unimpressed by BOM and rakuyo makes me think "BOM except one of them is longer".

I mean, I like all those weapons you mentioned, but they all play very differently. If you want an L2 skill weapon, burial blade is basically your only option (I used it to great effect on defiled amygdala). Rakuyo's L2 is pretty much for pvp only with some limited crowd hitting ability
    Oh yeah, amy. I didn't have it for regular amy and saif may as well have no vertical reach at all. What a pain. I got to the last phase in a minute or so and then threw away like ten vials trying to knock off that final little bit of health.

The main thing I'm noticing is the untricked saif has a harder impact than the tricked burial blade, which seems wrong somehow. Those bigger pthumerians in the chalices that carry a sickle and rifle don't stagger unless I use the saif.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I haven't really posted in this thread, but I've been busy.
    C7UxYMBVoAAr5nT.jpg

Easily the easiest platinum of the Souls games, apart from that stupid grind to reach the final labyrinth boss.

My favorite moment in the game by far:
    C7VV4SPV0AESsJ5.jpg:large

Threaded Cane is life.

Thinking of doing a strength build next? Cannon looks fun.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I am not going to lie, I really expected her to pop back up in a sort of "AND NOW, FOR MY TRUE FINAL FORM!" way, because this was one of the easiest fights in all of the chalice dungeons I had to go through to get here:
    dvq3tp0ak528.png

I agree with cj that this is probably the easiest Souls game to get all the trophies in, I think chiefly because you get most of them just by playing the game normally, there's no "oh, sorry, you need to get all the weapons, spells, and miracles but GOSH this particular boss soul is used for like four different things tee hee and oh did you miss cutting that one bosses' tail off?" nonsense to stand in the way.

(And no pure bladestone)

Next up, I die horribly in the DLC.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The final boss of the DLC is beyond aggravating, but somewhat rewarding once you throw caution to the wind and dive right at it.

I found that labyrinth boss fun. Difficult, but not impossible. The two before that were a rush. As for optional bosses...

Am I the only one wishing that
    the doll would have revealed herself as a final boss somehow?

"Welcome home, good hunter.

Now, you must die."
    LIFEBAR
    "THE TIMELESS DOLL"

Well, I think it's a fun thought.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The final boss of the DLC is beyond aggravating, but somewhat rewarding once you throw caution to the wind and dive right at it.

I found that labyrinth boss fun. Difficult, but not impossible. The two before that were a rush. As for optional bosses...

Now, you must die."
    LIFEBAR
    "THE TIMELESS DOLL"

I was 110% SURE that was going to be the way Demon's Souls ended when I played it.

• Options

Now, you must die."
    LIFEBAR
    "THE TIMELESS DOLL"

Well, they went the other direction with that one.

"A corpse... should be left well alone."

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

Now, you must die."
    LIFEBAR
    "THE TIMELESS DOLL"

What do you mean by that?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Now, you must die."
    LIFEBAR
    "THE TIMELESS DOLL"

Maria of the Clocktower from the DLC looks exactly like the doll.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Or does the doll
    (dlc spoiler)
    look exactly like Maria

Edit: more spoilery talk about pretty much everything:
    This is all taking place in the past and if they went the whole Manus route with there is one big bad always and basically everything you do furthers his plot or does nothing, I believe it would have been disappointing. I like the fact that there are heroes from the past, like (all the folks you had to murder because they were horrible folks corrupted) That's par the course. But.... there are those folks that can pass the stories down and hunts left untold of. The doll is a man-made thing in my eyes, to defeat the aliens or extra-dimensional beings or whatever the kin are.

Makes sense in my head, gives a little hope.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Now, you must die."
    LIFEBAR
    "THE TIMELESS DOLL"

Maria of the Clocktower from the DLC looks exactly like the doll.

Yeah, this. I tried to be a bit more obtuse.
    You read the descriptions on Maria's outfit and turns out Gehrman was obsessed with her; the exact order of events is up to personal interpretation here but Gehrman crafted the doll in Maria's image. Maria has the same VA as the doll too. The cutscene before the fight goes out of its way to avoid showing her face directly because she literally is the doll.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The way the Old Hunter's sort of displays the Yharnam timeline is pretty brilliant.
    The Hunter's Nightmare isn't actually in the past. It's literally a Hunter's personal hell for notable moments in history.

The Burning of Old Yharnam>The Destruction of Cainhurst(This one's easy to miss but the Blood ticks+ all of the bodies in Ludwig's arena is a dead giveaway)>The Research Hall>Literally Innsmouth.

You can even argue that those were all personal hells for everyone involved in the slaughter at the Fishing Hamlet.

It's not unfeasible to assume that Laurence, Ludwig, Maria, and Gherman were all there.

• Options
    The way the Old Hunter's sort of displays the Yharnam timeline is pretty brilliant.
    The Hunter's Nightmare isn't actually in the past. It's literally a Hunter's personal hell for notable moments in history.

The Burning of Old Yharnam>The Destruction of Cainhurst(This one's easy to miss but the Blood ticks+ all of the bodies in Ludwig's arena is a dead giveaway)>The Research Hall>Literally Innsmouth.

You can even argue that those were all personal hells for everyone involved in the slaughter at the Fishing Hamlet.

It's not unfeasible to assume that Laurence, Ludwig, Maria, and Gherman were all there.
    Ludwig was nearly a generation later I'd say, but Laurence, Maria and Gehrman were all involved with the fishing hamlet incident along with Provost Willem. The entire event is what led to Laurence choosing another path over pure insight and the Byrgenwerth schism.

• Options

I feel like I missed a massive amount of lore when I did the Hamlet, because I really don't understand what happened there.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I feel like I missed a massive amount of lore when I did the Hamlet, because I really don't understand what happened there.

It's pretty damn obtuse, just like every Souls game.

• Options

Talk to the npc that wanders around between the entrance to the hamlet from the clocktower and the first lantern with the Milkweed rune on, then read the item description of that item. Make sure you pay attention to the story of what that npc is saying as well since he gives some backstory too.

Also, the item description of Rakuyo, and the weapon from the last bos of the DLC.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    OK, so the fishing hamlet:

Kos washed ashore somehow, or was mistaken for a whale and killed, or came ashore to give birth and died (Great Ones seem to either have stillborn children or die in childbirth), but either way word of a dead Great One got to the scholars at Byrgnwyrth and Maria and Gharnam came to check it out. Through the study of Kos the folks at Byrgynwyrth concluded that the best way to further human evolution was with insight from the Great Ones, which they thought to obtain through eyes on the inside of their skulls. To do this they experimented on the folks who lived in the fishing hamlet, essentially opening up their skulls to looks for eyes and such. This generated the curse that we hear in the opening of the DLC and explains why Maria killed herself (that and what they later did at the research hall) and what drove Gehrman's guilt.

As for Laurence, Ludwig, et al, Laurence and Willem are contemporaries, and split over whether to favor blood or insight as their evolutionary catalyst. This is why we see the beast creatures with the church, founded by Laurence, and the kin creatures showing up around Byrgynwyrth, led by Willem.
    Ludwig was one of the Holy Knights founded by the church to deal with the larger beasts they were encountering.

Aditionally, the Great Ones can't really die. You can kill their physical form on the human plane, but because they don't just exist on that plane, it's mostly like wrecking the car they were driving. There's a theory that the moon presence you can fight in the hidden ending is just Kos reborn, come to seek revenge on Gehrman and all his varied descendants. This explains some of Gehrman's dialogue towards the end of the game, and the doll's saying he's sleeping better once you kill the Orphan of Kos.

Which makes you wonder what the doll's roll in all this actually is right? Because in one ending there's just a grave of you in your NG+ playthrough that she stops at occasionally. In another she continues her roll as you replace Gehrman. In the secret ending she picks up your new Great One infant form and carries on as if that's normal. If you kill her she sprays grey blood, like a Great One, not clear blood, like the kin (note that its late here and I might have got this backwards). So maybe she's a benevolent Great One that guides us all along.

This is all stuff pieced together through reading the interviews w/ Miyazaki at the back of the guides, scouring lots of reddit posts, and playing the game exhaustively over the last 5 months. There's lots left up to your interpretation, which will keep me coming back for a while. Truly an amazing game. Also I apologize for any game lore misspellings. As I said it's late here.

• Options
    HeraldS wrote: »
    OK, so the fishing hamlet:

Kos washed ashore somehow, or was mistaken for a whale and killed, or came ashore to give birth and died (Great Ones seem to either have stillborn children or die in childbirth), but either way word of a dead Great One got to the scholars at Byrgnwyrth and Maria and Gharnam came to check it out. Through the study of Kos the folks at Byrgynwyrth concluded that the best way to further human evolution was with insight from the Great Ones, which they thought to obtain through eyes on the inside of their skulls. To do this they experimented on the folks who lived in the fishing hamlet, essentially opening up their skulls to looks for eyes and such. This generated the curse that we hear in the opening of the DLC and explains why Maria killed herself (that and what they later did at the research hall) and what drove Gehrman's guilt.

As for Laurence, Ludwig, et al, Laurence and Willem are contemporaries, and split over whether to favor blood or insight as their evolutionary catalyst. This is why we see the beast creatures with the church, founded by Laurence, and the kin creatures showing up around Byrgynwyrth, led by Willem.
    Ludwig was one of the Holy Knights founded by the church to deal with the larger beasts they were encountering.

Aditionally, the Great Ones can't really die. You can kill their physical form on the human plane, but because they don't just exist on that plane, it's mostly like wrecking the car they were driving. There's a theory that the moon presence you can fight in the hidden ending is just Kos reborn, come to seek revenge on Gehrman and all his varied descendants. This explains some of Gehrman's dialogue towards the end of the game, and the doll's saying he's sleeping better once you kill the Orphan of Kos.

Which makes you wonder what the doll's roll in all this actually is right? Because in one ending there's just a grave of you in your NG+ playthrough that she stops at occasionally. In another she continues her roll as you replace Gehrman. In the secret ending she picks up your new Great One infant form and carries on as if that's normal. If you kill her she sprays grey blood, like a Great One, not clear blood, like the kin (note that its late here and I might have got this backwards). So maybe she's a benevolent Great One that guides us all along.

This is all stuff pieced together through reading the interviews w/ Miyazaki at the back of the guides, scouring lots of reddit posts, and playing the game exhaustively over the last 5 months. There's lots left up to your interpretation, which will keep me coming back for a while. Truly an amazing game. Also I apologize for any game lore misspellings. As I said it's late here.

It's definitely my favorite of the Souls games, and I think they're all pretty spectacular.

• Options
    I think the only thing that keeps Bloodborne from topping Demon's Souls is the lack of NPC vendors and how few you really encounter, but I think it's deliberate. The world design is easily the best since Demon's, though. I just love all the various NPC encounters in Demon's and all the depth they have. I was still getting surprised by new dialogue last time I replayed it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Only 3 trophies away from platinum-ing the base game.

Most difficult thing is getting some co-op help on these later chalice dungeons.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    I did them all solo. Didn't have a choice, really, no PS+.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    But... a hunter is never alone....

I played offline for about hour once while the servers were down and felt weird. There is something about having messages everywhere that makes you feel connected to a larger community. Those chalice dungeons get lonely without them.

Question about the all weapons achievement. Is that all weapons for a single character or can you split the arsenal across multiple characters? Also is it possible to achieve without going to new game plus and does new game plus strip you of your previous weapons?

• Options
    Only 3 trophies away from platinum-ing the base game.

Most difficult thing is getting some co-op help on these later chalice dungeons.

I tried to get co-op partners for those and it just wasn't happening, I think you will need to do them solo. I really don't like how co-op was handled in BB in general, I much prefer the Souls-style sea of white markers around the fog doors.

Also for the weapons trophy, you need to get the badge for killing the last boss. I just got every other weapon, backed up my save to USB, killed him and went to NG+, got back to the Hunter's Dream and bought the last weapon I needed, pop trophy and then restore save so I could go back to NG. You carry weapons and tools into NG+.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Weapons
    (ending spoiler)
    If you fulfill the condition for the extra boss at the end, you can just die or quit after you beat the regular last boss. You'll be back in the main part of the hunter's dream, and you get to keep the badge without being sent into NG+.

Alternately, it might be possible to get an uncanny or lost version of it without the badge if you use a glyph to get a dungeon that has it as a treasure. I don't know though because I don't have PS+ either.

• Options
    It's possible, but much, much harder to get it from chalice dungeons than it is via the story.

• Options
    But... a hunter is never alone....

I played offline for about hour once while the servers were down and felt weird. There is something about having messages everywhere that makes you feel connected to a larger community. Those chalice dungeons get lonely without them.

Question about the all weapons achievement. Is that all weapons for a single character or can you split the arsenal across multiple characters? Also is it possible to achieve without going to new game plus and does new game plus strip you of your previous weapons?
    Single character for the weapons. you don't have to NG+ if you don't want to (just hunter mark out of the secret boss fight and go buy Gehrman's stuff), but you don't lose anything equipment related going to NG+ so it doesn't really matter.

• Options
    Started the DLC tonight. Being back out and running around under the open (if nightmarish) skies is a nice change from the cramped chalice dungeons. Managed to knock out the first three bosses without more than a couple of deaths, but since I'm WAY over level and doing the DLC on NG difficulty I do not feel too proud of that.

God, the atmosphere in this game, I will be sad if From never goes back to this kind of world.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have just started playing for the first time after picking up a PS4. I've played Dark Souls so I was expecting, you know, difficulty, but the start of the game feels pretty tough. I'm now just legging it past the crowd around the bonfire to get to the bridge with the big wolf things on it so I can die there a lot instead of taking my time to pick off the crowd two at a time and then get killed by the wolf things.

Not being able to level up yet is annoying as hell.

• Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I have just started playing for the first time after picking up a PS4. I've played Dark Souls so I was expecting, you know, difficulty, but the start of the game feels pretty tough. I'm now just legging it past the crowd around the bonfire to get to the bridge with the big wolf things on it so I can die there a lot instead of taking my time to pick off the crowd two at a time and then get killed by the wolf things.

Yeah Bloodborne has the worst introduction for new players of any souls game. A good early investment is the armor set you can buy, so that you at least get some use out of your blood echoes.

Spoiler on getting to being able to level up.
    Alternatively, you can leg it past the wolves down the bridge and unlock leveling up. Just be prepared to die first.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

If you look it up, there's a way to level up "early." But until then:
    1. The iconic armor set of the game is also one of the best, and its hidden in the sewers. So is the means of leveling up early.
    2. Until you get there, you can spend your Blood Echoes on an inferior armor set in the Hunter's Dream.
    3. Learn to "parry" with your gun. Most enemies, including those werewolves, will take a knee so you can land a Visceral Attack (critical hit)
    4. You can also purchase Molotov Cocktails to make short work of those werewolves.
    5. The werewolves are guarding the first boss.
    6. Upon gaining leveling, and as a beginner, fuck all stats and focus on health until the first boss is down. Health simultaneously boosts your healing ability.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

I did a super quick "how to get to the point where you can level up" series of videos for a friend, so just in case these are useful:

https://baudattitude.com/2016/10/31/a-bloodborne-primer/

I intentionally did not do a lot of exploring and skipped all kinds of items etc, so I think they're reasonably spoiler free and will leave you lots of stuff to find on your own.

• Options
    I'm not sure I'd call the hunter armor one of the best...

It's fine, along with basically every other armor in the game, including the one you can buy

Almost every armor in the game performs mostly identically, and you'd only really need to bother switching if you want a little bit of extra protection against a particular thing

• Options

There are several routes where you can bypass the werewolves, which at this stage I would recommend

One is hidden along the route you're already familiar with and one is via the sewer you can enter nearby

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Elendil wrote: »

There are several routes where you can bypass the werewolves, which at this stage I would recommend

One is hidden along the route you're already familiar with and one is via the sewer you can enter nearby

I've found a couple of branches that lead off to somewhere that I haven't explored yet. One was
    through some breakable garbage and looked to lead to a dog kennel area where I'm sure the dogs will stay in the cages and not attack me, and the other is where I left the game last night, on the other side of the bridge down some steps overlooking the bonfire, where it looks like a ladder leads down into sewers.

Cheers for the tips, guys. I will probably try the sewers first, since I had to kill the damn dogs to get there. If I die I'll try the other way because I can leg it there without fighting anything from the restart.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

I've found a couple of branches that lead off to somewhere that I haven't explored yet. One was
    through some breakable garbage and looked to lead to a dog kennel area where I'm sure the dogs will stay in the cages and not attack me, and the other is where I left the game last night, on the other side of the bridge down some steps overlooking the bonfire, where it looks like a ladder leads down into sewers.

Cheers for the tips, guys. I will probably try the sewers first, since I had to kill the damn dogs to get there. If I die I'll try the other way because I can leg it there without fighting anything from the restart.
    There's multiple paths out of that kennel area, so don't forget to look around there some more.