As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MST3K] We got movie sign...on November 22, 2018

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I am of the opinion that the host segments have always been bad and will continue to always be bad

Maybe "bad" isn't the right word

"Corny" DEFINITELY is

Yeah it's not a matter of "good before, bad now". It's just a very different energy from the old ones.
    This is actually what I want to hear

I don't mind the cheesy jokes at all, but the energy and flow of the old ones never worked for me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Watching the advance screening now.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    So, thoughts on the first episode: the pacing and energy of the host segments is weird, but the riffs have that same ol' MST3K feel.

I found it to be the exact opposite
    The host segments were classic goofiness and the riffing felt really rushed
    Also I can barely tell the three of them apart in the theater
    But the jokes were good!

mkc.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm mostly just a fan of the MST3K shorts, like those PSA videos from the fifties ("Emotions are for ethnic people!")

I'll definitely be checking this out though.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Now that I've actually gotten to watch it...

Not familiar with his work outside of this, but I dig Jonah. Seems to have gotten into the swing of things fast and is really comfortable.

And man, that movie was a pile of garbage.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    one of my favorite things about having new mst3k episodes is reviving an old favorite game: "has aj seen the movie being riffed before?"

because let me tell you, i'd seen a good deal of the flicks in the original run before they were riff fodder.

also the host segments rule. and the lack of them were why i couldn't get into stuff like rifftrax.

4/14 can't come soon enough

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Patton Oswalt on a MST3K remake

amazing?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just watched the beginning till the movie started. Fears receding. This seems like MST3k! The guy doing Crow is real good. Servo will take a little getting used to. The mads seem good too.

Will watch it proper when it goes up on Netflix as I want to add to its viewing count so Netflix will decide to make more.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    As much as I like the surprise factor, I must say the biggest thing I'm looking forward to immediately when the episodes are finally uploaded is seeing what films are covered

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The most mind blowing thing is Servo's arms moving.

I see my money went to good use.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Now that I've actually gotten to watch it...

Not familiar with his work outside of this, but I dig Jonah. Seems to have gotten into the swing of things fast and is really comfortable.

And man, that movie was a pile of garbage.

If you want to hear more of him, Jonah has been on the Nerdist podcast since it started.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

I'm not sure I'm ready to see a MST with production values.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I saw one of the films is Reptilicus in the trailer which is great because I have seen that shitshow

CYpGAPn.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I saw one of the films is Reptilicus in the trailer which is great because I have seen that shitshow

That was, indeed, the premiere.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

I'm not sure I'm ready to see a MST with production values.

They've uploaded the whole season early for backers and I haven't watched much but I can assure you that it still looks appropriately cheap and chintzy

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited April 2017
    okay but is it good

Impressions and thoughts on the first one and a half episodes
    Comparable to the Sci-Fi channel era, so far. Jokes fly way faster than they used to, to the point where the sheer volume is a little absurd. There's been at least one genuine gut-buster in the two episodes I watched, though I still wish they felt more like improv--the show kind of lost something when they stopped reacting to/laughing at each other's jokes, but that's been the case since season eight

(There's also times where I think the movie speaks for itself and just them laughing at it would be more effective than cracking a joke, but that might be a personal thing. The live shows work like this, anyway)

Two genuine issues: the puppets are super unresponsive, since their mouths are radio controlled now instead of manual, which is weirdly distracting? And the host segments are REAL lame to start. Like POWERFULLY so. They seem to get better, likely as a result of people getting more comfortable with their roles

All the music rules though (and there's a lot of it!) and all the actual props and models look absolutely perfect, just the right amount of corny and handcrafted, haven't seen an ounce of CGI outside of some silhouette visual gags and trickery

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    okay but is it good

Comparable to the Sci-Fi channel era, so far. Jokes fly way faster than they used to, to the point where the sheer volume is a little absurd. There's been at least one genuine gut-buster in the two episodes I watched, though I still wish they felt more like improv--the show kind of lost something when they stopped reacting to/laughing at each other's jokes, but that's been the case since season eight

(There's also times where I think the movie speaks for itself and just them laughing at it would be more effective than cracking a joke, but that might be a personal thing. The live shows work like this, anyway)

Two genuine issues: the puppets are super unresponsive, since their mouths are radio controlled now instead of manual, which is weirdly distracting? And the host segments are REAL lame to start. Like POWERFULLY so. They seem to get better, likely as a result of people getting more comfortable with their roles

All the music rules though (and there's a lot of it!) and all the actual props and models look absolutely perfect, just the right amount of corny and handcrafted, haven't seen an ounce of CGI outside of some silhouette visual gags and trickery

just for reference
    are you saying the scifi channel era was bad or good, in making that comparison

personally its a lot of my favorite stuff from the original run

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »
    okay but is it good

just for reference

i was deliberately avoiding a value judgment there, because I think the similarity is in structure and execution more than quality

But the Sci-FI run is my least favorite outside of season one, if that tells you anything

I wouldn't call it straight up bad, just definitely not my favorite

signature-deffo.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    okay but is it good

just for reference

i was deliberately avoiding a value judgment there, because I think the similarity is in structure and execution more than quality

But the Sci-FI run is my least favorite outside of season one, if that tells you anything

I wouldn't call it straight up bad, just definitely not my favorite
    No, its fine whatever you think about them

I just wanted to get clarification as to if you thought they were bad or good

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Scifi channel era is easily my favorite MST era

edited April 2017
    This is not really a spoiler

You can definitely tell Elliott Kalen had a hand in this project

Especially when it comes to the songs

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    Oh god, I just realized... MST3K has a letters segment.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    If Elliot doesn't get to play a bit part of a postman I will be so sad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I'm sure he'll do some character work. It's pretty common for the crew and writers to show up in sketches. Hell, that's how Mike ended up a host in the end.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

So TV's Son of TV's Frank is named Max.

End of each episode spoiler?

Dr F tells him to "Push the button, Max" at the end of the episodes like in old MST3K with Frank.

This can't not also be a reference to the old Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis movie The Great Race in which Professor Fate (Lemmon) tells his henchman Max (Peter Falks) to "Push the button, Max!" numerous times during the film.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I didn't read the other spoilers but I read that one and it makes me so happy.

That line is quoted by my family all the time. We all love that movie.

"RUM! I never mix my pies!"

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    In the not too distant future we will all be able to watch this.

Anyone else considering staying up to watch one at midnight?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

well it'd be 3 or 4am EST so sadly, no

Xaquin wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

well it'd be 3 or 4am EST so sadly, no

Oh wait yeah I forgot the time zone shit.

Fuck the West Coast being where all the tech companies are.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/new-mystery-science-theater-3000-details-from-series-creator-joel-hodgson-felicia-day-jonah-ray/
    Thanks to Netflix, you’ll have access to all 14 episodes right away. The cast does not recommend binging.

“It’s a lot to take in at once,” Ray said. “People would end up feeling the same fatigue that our characters would. The Forrester legacy might actually come true if everyone tries to watch these all in a row.”

Day does encourage people to watch them out of order. “To have all of them go up at the same time, people can look at all the new movies and be like, ‘Oh, which ones do I want to watch first?’” Day said. “I have a preference for the old historical ones just as a viewer.”

Hodgson just hopes people take their time. “It took us so long to make them, I wouldn’t insist that people watch them right away,” Hodgson said. “Personally, I just want them to enjoy them at their own pace. It’s a lot.”

My own pace is that I'm only up to halfway through episode 6. At least it's less than 9 hours until the "don't discuss the details yet" embargo is up.

That said, I don't know why Netflix doesn't support a one-episode-per-week release model.

SabreMau on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/new-mystery-science-theater-3000-details-from-series-creator-joel-hodgson-felicia-day-jonah-ray/
    Thanks to Netflix, you’ll have access to all 14 episodes right away. The cast does not recommend binging.

“It’s a lot to take in at once,” Ray said. “People would end up feeling the same fatigue that our characters would. The Forrester legacy might actually come true if everyone tries to watch these all in a row.”

Day does encourage people to watch them out of order. “To have all of them go up at the same time, people can look at all the new movies and be like, ‘Oh, which ones do I want to watch first?’” Day said. “I have a preference for the old historical ones just as a viewer.”

Hodgson just hopes people take their time. “It took us so long to make them, I wouldn’t insist that people watch them right away,” Hodgson said. “Personally, I just want them to enjoy them at their own pace. It’s a lot.”

My own pace is that I'm only up to halfway through episode 6. At least it's less than 9 hours until the "don't discuss the details yet" embargo is up.

That said, I don't know why Netflix doesn't support a one-episode-per-week release model.

They do. There's shows that do this in other countries anyway (Riverdale is a Netflix exclusive in every country but the US, where it airs on the CW, for example). They prefer the model they have it.

Ah, I guess they just didn't want to do it for this here, at least if this is accurate.
    Is Netflix releasing all episodes at once?

Yep. I think I read that Joel said it was one point Netflix wouldn't budge on.

I don't know if I can sleep anyway, I might be awake when the new episodes go up who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMNb_v7JBHQ

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Stupid time zones mean I'll be out and about by the time these drop.

Stupid social obligations.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    NOOO SPRINGS

So, as it's past the 12:01 AM deadline, your experiments for this season are
    Reptilicus (1961)
    Cry Wilderness (1987)
    The Time Travelers (1964)
    Avalanche (1978)
    The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)
    Starcrash (1978)
    The Land that Time Forgot (1974)
    The Loves of Hercules (1960)
    Yongary (1967)
    Wizards of the Lost Kingdom (1985)
    Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 (1989)
    Carnival Magic (1981)
    The Christmas That Almost Wasn't (1966)
    At the Earth's Core (1976)

I was expecting at least one film from the 90s and wasn't expecting them to go back to 1956 once. But these seem fine.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Cry Wilderness is bafflingly terrible

mkc.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    So, as it's past the 12:01 AM deadline, your experiments for this season are
    Reptilicus (1961)
    Cry Wilderness (1987)
    The Time Travelers (1964)
    Avalanche (1978)
    The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)
    Starcrash (1978)
    The Land that Time Forgot (1974)
    The Loves of Hercules (1960)
    Yongary (1967)
    Wizards of the Lost Kingdom (1985)
    Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 (1989)
    Carnival Magic (1981)
    The Christmas That Almost Wasn't (1966)
    At the Earth's Core (1976)

I was expecting at least one film from the 90s and wasn't expecting them to go back to 1956 once. But these seem fine.

only seen 9 of these prior

really really looking forward to
    starcrash

6vjsgrerts6r.png