As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Anyone seen any good movies lately?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Atomika wrote: »

Life, Power Rangers, Logan, Split, Ghost in the Shell '95 (not '17), Kong.

Harry Dresden on
  • TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular

Mr. Freedom, Applause, The Cyclist, A Cottage on Dartmoor

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I watched the first half of Storks which was pretty funny, rewatched most of Aliens which is still good, all of some other movie which I will come back to once I remember what it was, and about a 3rd of The Grand Budaphest Hotel for which I couldn't make it the dialog.

Don't watch movies on planes I guess.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Hush, Full Metal Jacket, Logan

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    And yeah, I'm still doing a writeup on FMJ.

It's just gotten a lot more personal and difficult to write about, moreso than I thought it would be.

I'm not stoked to hear Atomic Blonde is basically the worst parts of John Wick + male-gaze mindlessness

• NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I'm not stoked to hear Atomic Blonde is basically the worst parts of John Wick + male-gaze mindlessness

What is "male-gaze mindlessness" ?

Ninjeff wrote: »

Boob and booty shots.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I started rolling my eyes the second the latest trailer had strippers and lesbian make-outs.

cheap titilation and objectification

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    What are the worst parts of John Wick?

From my understanding (and I'm not completely up on everything), stuff like the "following the butt while woman is walking towards someone" kind of shots are entirely male-gaze oriented, and the shot could be done a million different ways.

Basically, think of how Megan Fox is shot in the Bayformers movies.

honovere wrote: »

The production style occasionally erred on the douchey side

Apparently Atomic Blonde cranks that pretty high

If there's a scale where, say, Terrence Malick is a 0 and Timur Bekmambetov is a 10, I'd put the Wick movies around a 7 or 8

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

This is the important question here.

edited April 2017

The end credits start?

Harry Dresden on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

...there are bad parts of John Wick?

I just learned about Atomic Blonde just now, and I gotta say, I'm onboard. Charlize has my money any day of the week.

Trailer
    Charlize kissing Jaylah from Star Trek: Beyond? Okay, yeah, that sounds pretty good.

Male gaze? Sure. I know a number of females that will be into that, too.

The production style occasionally erred on the douchey side

Apparently Atomic Blonde cranks that pretty high

If there's a scale where, say, Terrence Malick is a 0 and Timur Bekmambetov is a 10, I'd put the Wick movies around a 7 or 8

I honestly don't know what that means exactly.

I just learned about Atomic Blonde just now, and I gotta say, I'm onboard. Charlize has my money any day of the week.

Trailer
    Charlize kissing Jaylah from Star Trek: Beyond? Okay, yeah, that sounds pretty good.

Sofia Boutella's having a great time in Hollywood. The Mummy, Atomic Blonde, Star Trek.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Kong.

DanHibiki on

Trailer

Serious. My girlfriend has an unnatural obsession with Charlize and is more excited about this movie than I've ever seen her get.

I suppose its not that weird because i got unnaturally excited at the Thor trailer....

Trailer

Serious. My girlfriend has an unnatural obsession with Charlize and is more excited about this movie than I've ever seen her get.

I suppose its not that weird because i got unnaturally excited at the Thor trailer....

Chris Hemsworth is a fine hunk of manliness...

Also, funny as fuck, and I'm glad they're showing that side of him more in the new Thor.

Trailer

Okay whatever but this is what I'm talking about

Trailer

I understand what you mean now.
    Interesting topic of discussion, but probably not suited for this thread.

It does feel a little weird when they film women like that all the time. I know I always get weirded out when i think of the camera guy actually filming the scene.

On the other hand -as a guy- I'd be remiss if i didn't admit (bashfully) to really liking Charlize Theron and finding her quite pretty. But then i creep myself out when i think about her having to sit there and get filmed up and down in her knickers.
    As a progressive guy politically i admit to being confused as to what to say about it.

I understand the male gaze part. But I need more explanation what a douchey production style is. It is probably not helping that I'm not really into Malick and haven't seen any Bekmambetov.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think the new Thor trailer looks great but I'm kind of hoping it doesn't end up aping Guardians and is actually it's own good movie. I think it will be but at the same time it is a little worrying as I love the character so I want them to get him right.

I understand the male gaze part. But I need more explanation what a douchey production style is. It is probably not helping that I'm not really into Malick and haven't seen any Bekmambetov.

There are worse directors to be like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur_Bekmambetov

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

I watched Sameblod (sami blood, translated literally) recently, a swedish movie about a young woman struggling to find where she belongs. It mostly depicts her youth, growing up when racial biology was big in Sweden. It's a slow and thoughtful movie with some amazing performances. I am however not sure if it works as well without some knowledge of how the sami population has been treated in Sweden throughout history.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I think the new Thor trailer looks great but I'm kind of hoping it doesn't end up aping Guardians and is actually it's own good movie. I think it will be but at the same time it is a little worrying as I love the character so I want them to get him right.

I hope Thor sits down to a bowl of basgetti.

Not many, for my tastes

Solar wrote: »

Depends on how you're looking to get him "right".

I think going full-bore on the cosmic, 80's-inspired neon Kirbyness is a p great idea and something the series needed. Also, Asgard and wherever the GoTG are at are all in the same spacey community, so the two should absolutely share an aesthetic.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

He has yet to direct a good movie. He's like a cheap knock-off of Zack Snyder or Michael Bay.

All MCU movies share a certain aesthetic. Probably due to all costumes being designed/done by one company, and because Marvel wants them to all feel like they take place in a shared universe.
    That being said, i suspect Guardians with still be a bit more irreverent and wacky.

Ketar wrote: »

He has yet to direct a good movie. He's like a cheap knock-off of Zack Snyder or Michael Bay.

Yup. I liked Night Watch, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and Wanted*. I mean, it's not like he's Andrzej Bartkowiak - who did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFo1mDMJ1u8

* purely as a guilty pleasure

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wanted was a good movie, the biggest fault being Professor X's shit American accent

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Trailer

I'm not going to sit here and deny liking Sexy Ladies Doing Awesome Shit. I watch CW shows a lot, and I never begrudge all them for their very pretty shirtless dudes as being "Female Gaze" because the world is dark as fuck and everyone deserves some eye candy. Like, that scene in Thor 1, when Jane catches him shirtless, I was like, "yeah, girl. Go get that."

Hollywood has some serious fucking problems with sexism and racism, but forgive me if I don't have too much problem with one of the most powerful actresses in Hollywood choosing to play a bi female asskicker in an R-rated James Bond homage.

Charlize can write her own ticket at this point, so I'm not super concerned that she's being exploited. If she had wanted to do a non-sexualized gender-swapped espionage flick (like Angelina Jolie did with Salt), I bet she totally could've.

I continue to be annoyed that a woman can cap motherfuckers all day long, but people whose opinions I find invaluable get bent out of shape about her showing some skin. Or is it only 'male gaze' when it's shot in a sexy way? Can we praise camera work that shows off the talent of the actors in an action scene and then turn around and criticize the sex scene for making the camera fall in love with the performers?

I'm all in favor of toppling the patriarchy. Fuck those guys. But I know a lot of people (women and men), who are angry about bi erasure. It is a real thing. I can't help being hopeful that this movie might show a protagonist female that can smooch women and men and not really make a big deal of it herself.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I think my biggest beef with the Atomic Blond trailer was that the fight scenes for some reason didnt look very realistic, which made the sexy/romantic scenes seem more exploitive by comparison.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    I think my biggest beef with the Atomic Blond trailer was that the fight scenes for some reason didnt look very realistic, which made the sexy/romantic scenes seem more exploitive by comparison.

First trailer felt a bit like that to me, but the second trailer was better.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    To be honest I'm not really sure what the female gaze looks like. The male gaze is more than just ogling.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Atomic Blonde looks great to me, y'all are just golden wrappering something delicious.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.