As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I always get a little bit sad when I remember Edgar Wright was supposed to direct Ant Man. I liked ant man well enough, but i absolutely adore everything edgar wright does. i'm not really into movies enough to know directors or writers beyond a surface level appreciation, but i want to go back in time and get an edgar wright ass ant man movie.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    MCU movies are all relatively the same for the same reason comic books in a series are all relatively the same. They are -after all- a comic book company.

I'm confused as to what people want from their movies exactly. They deliver almost 100% of the time EXACTLY what is advertised. Fun archetype stories about HEROES (not villains) that are enjoyable and always have a dash of morality to tell. They aren't, weren't, never will be, and never should have been towering bastions of cinema. They are fun movies made to be enjoyed like a perfect sundae in the shade on a hot summer afternoon. Some may be deeper than others (Civil War) and some lean more towards irreverent fun (Guardians of the Galaxy) but most are linked episodic stories of heroes which is why they "feel" the same. They have to be. Thats the point. A hot fudge sundae is always good. Some better than others, but all of them generally the same. On a hot summer day that can be exactly what you need though, and that's what the MCU is.
    A decade in to the universe seems like everyone should either be on board or not with that idea.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I always get a little bit sad when I remember Edgar Wright was supposed to direct Ant Man. I liked ant man well enough, but i absolutely adore everything edgar wright does. i'm not really into movies enough to know directors or writers beyond a surface level appreciation, but i want to go back in time and get an edgar wright ass ant man movie.

An Edgar Wright directed Ant Man would have been incredible.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just want some visually interesting stuff. Deadpool had an opening credits scene alone that 10 Marvel films have yet to come close to in their movies. In terms of something iconic I guess what stands out the most is the avengers 2 leap from the opening fight.

We should have gotten this with Edgar Wright but you only see small pieces of it with something like the briefcase fight in Ant Man, and I'd say Darrdevil has at least has two hallway fight scenes that are now tied to that name in terms of iconic

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    MCU movies are all relatively the same for the same reason comic books in a series are all relatively the same. They are -after all- a comic book company.

I'm confused as to what people want from their movies exactly. They deliver almost 100% of the time EXACTLY what is advertised. Fun archetype stories about HEROES (not villains) that are enjoyable and always have a dash of morality to tell. They aren't, weren't, never will be, and never should have been towering bastions of cinema. They are fun movies made to be enjoyed like a perfect sundae in the shade on a hot summer afternoon. Some may be deeper than others (Civil War) and some lean more towards irreverent fun (Guardians of the Galaxy) but most are linked episodic stories of heroes which is why they "feel" the same. They have to be. Thats the point. A hot fudge sundae is always good. Some better than others, but all of them generally the same. On a hot summer day that can be exactly what you need though, and that's what the MCU is.
    A decade in to the universe seems like everyone should either be on board or not with that idea.

Because this attitude is the soft bigotry of low expectations? Marvel could make better, more entertaining, and more interesting movies. I'm not asking for Ingmar Bergman's Spider-Man here. When talented directors are given the right environment and freedom they can create kick ass action movies and superhero films, and Marvel could help that happen. Instead it's variations on the same basic story in the same boring style.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    Just saw Fast 8. Its not quite as good as the last ones but still good. Statham and The Rock are the highlights.

Not much else to say. Its the 8th movie in a series so everyone should probably know if they are going to like it or not.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Marvel is doing fine as is, don't fix what isn't broken.

Xeddicus on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Just saw Fast 8. Its not quite as good as the last ones but still good. Statham and The Rock are the highlights.

Not much else to say. Its the 8th movie in a series so everyone should probably know if they are going to like it or not.

How mushmouth is vin diesel here? And is Scott Eastwood being shoved in as not Paul Walker to an obnoxious degree or are they smart and just let Transporter and Maui take the lead this time?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    re camera guy filming sexy stuff:

If my own experience with art classes, and stories I've heard of working in pr0n, are any guide, it's just a job. From the perspective of the crew, the actors/models/"talent" etc quickly cease to be people so much as semi-mobile objects that need to be lit in such and such a way, shot from this angle with this focus, etc etc. They've got five more scenes to finish by lunch.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    We do have a Marvel thread about the shared movie universe that might be a better place for the Marvel discussion going on here

So It Goes on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    edit

jungleroomx on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    edit: just saw SIG's post

jungleroomx on
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I am watching Kong. It is a silly movie.

Silly awesome.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I am watching Kong. It is a silly movie.

Silly awesome.
    It is silly, but it also sells its aesthetic and look HARD, which I really appreciated. It leans hard into the Vietnam war-era movie thing. There are little touches that I appreciate, like the photographer actually taking photographs and doing things that photographers do (like long exposure photos of the night sky when the pseudo-Northern Lights appear).

EDIT: It does the whole "Man is the real monster hue hue hue" thing, like most Kong movies, but this time, the motivations are 100% believable. There is JUST enough character development to allow you a window into each character's motives.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    finally got around to watching Assassin's Creed.

I really really enjoyed it. Especially the modern day stuff. This was basically what I wanted the games to be after the first one but instead they went in a stupid direction because Ubisoft is run by Templars.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I really admired Kong for embracing that pulp atmosphere. They showed a trailer for the new Mummy with Tom Cruise before it and it really made clear in my mind the contrast between Kong as a final product and the nightmare alternate-universe Kong that could have existed following Gareth Edward's Godzilla.

I thought the movie had a lot of problems and a lot of its elements felt really tired, but basically any monster action scene was incredible, John C Reilly was pleasantly surprising, and Sam Jackson's character had a lot more nuance than I was expecting. Also the movie got surprisingly dark with some of its deaths.
    the grenade "self sacrifice" was kind of jaw-dropping in its callous treatment of one of the most likeable minor characters in the movie. Actually, looking back on it, it was pretty demonstrative of the movie's habit of introducing some really trite plot element, leaning on it really hard, and then pulling the rug out from under it at the last moment. It's a trick that I'm not sure was pulled off 100% of the time, but it was interesting anyway.

BloodySloth on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I really admired Kong for embracing that pulp atmosphere. They showed a trailer for the new Mummy with Tom Cruise before it and it really made clear in my mind the contrast between Kong as a final product and the nightmare alternate-universe Kong that could have existed following Gareth Edward's Godzilla.

I thought the movie had a lot of problems and a lot of its elements felt really tired, but basically any monster action scene was incredible, John C Reilly was pleasantly surprising, and Sam Jackson's character had a lot more nuance than I was expecting. Also the movie got surprisingly dark with some of its deaths.
    the grenade "self sacrifice" was kind of jaw-dropping in its callous treatment of one of the most likeable minor characters in the movie. Actually, looking back on it, it was pretty demonstrative of the movie's habit of introducing some really trite plot element, leaning on it really hard, and then pulling the rug out from under it at the last moment. It's a trick that I'm not sure was pulled off 100% of the time, but it was interesting anyway.

I thought Edwards Godzilla and Kong were still linked?

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

I thought Edwards Godzilla and Kong were still linked?

Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. I can too easily picture a gray, slow, and self-serious Kong movie to better mesh with the Legendary-verse or whatever they're calling it.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Poor Daredevil

He can't see the forest or the trees

edit: Bah another page? whatever I stand by it!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Lind wrote: »

How mushmouth is vin diesel here? And is Scott Eastwood being shoved in as not Paul Walker to an obnoxious degree or are they smart and just let Transporter and Maui take the lead this time?

Eastwood is fine tbh. Everyone including his boss Mr Nobody keeps giving him nicknames.
    Since Disels character has gone "rouge" he is mostly walking around looking angry in the start. The Rock takes on the team leader role and Statham is in alot of great scenes and has some grear lines.

Solid braindead action like expected.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of perhaps watching the original Terminator tonight; we're currently watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and I'm curious to see how T1 holds up. Last time I watched it must've been in the '90s. We should probably also rewatch T2, but even when I saw it at the cinema I liked it less than the first film. Yeah, I'm one of *those* people.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'm thinking of perhaps watching the original Terminator tonight; we're currently watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and I'm curious to see how T1 holds up. Last time I watched it must've been in the '90s. We should probably also rewatch T2, but even when I saw it at the cinema I liked it less than the first film. Yeah, I'm one of *those* people.

Handsome smart people with good movie opinions and who also dress well?

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    T1 holds up very well, except for a few of the effects.

T2 is great too but it doesn't quite trust the audience as much as the first film and spells things out a bit more.

edited April 2017
    reVerse wrote: »
    We should probably also rewatch T2, but even when I saw it at the cinema I liked it less than the first film. Yeah, I'm one of *those* people.
    Handsome smart people with good movie opinions and who also dress well?
    You were doing so well right until that last bit.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    T1 is a great idea somewhat hampered by budget issues. T2 is a lot of fun, particularly in terms of action and the inventive ways they use the villain's abilities, but the script isn't exactly tight and there's a lot of 80s cheese to it. Kind of a toss-up really.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I remember the first time I saw T1 as a kid I didn't quite grasp they were making bombs and thought they were having something exotic/dangerous for dinner.

I didn't have that problem with T2, so there's that to consider.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the best thing about skull island is that it's about the viet kong

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I think T2 is a much better movie then T1. T1 is a fun idea, but the special effects have really aged poorly in several cases and ultimately it feels so ... truncated. T2 feels like it gives the premise enough time to breath. T1 feels like it's over before it even gets going.

If I remember correctly, T2 is the considerably more polished film, but for me it lost its teeth to some extent. It's more of a pure action film, whereas the first movie has more horror elements, and personally I prefer the latter. In that respect, I think there are some parallels to Alien vs Aliens, although Alien is a vastly more accomplished film than the rougher-around-the-edges Terminator.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Saw T2 before T1, and for a long, long time I viewed the sequel as the exceptional installment. Over time this has changed, now I'm preferring the original. The scene where Arnie
    takes out his eye in the mirror
    still freaks me out.

Harry Dresden on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Relevant, probably.

https://youtu.be/DeHMEqnupYg

sig.gif
    edited April 2017
    @Xeddicus
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I don't want real world politics in my entertainment, thanks. We know where Hollywood stands as well, don't need reminders.

You'd be surprised, actually. Hollywood has quite a few conservative people in its ranks, especially in management. Fiction is also allowed to comment on the real world, and this is a spy series - politics is inherent. The series has already had a history of dealing with Russia, and still do this season.

For example: Arnold Schwartzneggar, Ronald Reagan, Jon Voight, Kelsey Grammar, Bruce Willis, Haim Saban. Marvel's long time CEO, Ike Perlmutter, is massively conservative and is not only a Trump supporter, but is a friend as well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/reclusive-marvel-ceo-ike-perlmutter-photographed-public-959632

Harry Dresden on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I was very confused because T2 is Trainspotting 2.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    T2 is the most perfect action movie - maybe apart from true lies.

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

The sequence in the Loyalist Bar was sublime.

Gvzbgul wrote: »

The sequence in the Loyalist Bar was sublime.

The third Transporting movie will be when a young T-100 travels to Edinborough and gets involved in the drug scene. He ends up joining Renton's group, looking for his next motor oil fix.

edited April 2017
    I like the scene where the T-1000 goes back in early '90s Edinburgh, ends up hiding in liquid form in a pint glass ("the worst pint in Scotland") and is drunk by Begbie.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    T2 is the most perfect action movie - maybe apart from true lies.

I love True Lies.
    And Last Action Hero.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Relevant, probably.

https://youtu.be/DeHMEqnupYg

I don't know whats worse, the characters, the animation or the fact they are trying to justify in the worst way possible a reason to talk over during a movie in a packed theatre.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly, T2 is the considerably more polished film, but for me it lost its teeth to some extent. It's more of a pure action film, whereas the first movie has more horror elements, and personally I prefer the latter. In that respect, I think there are some parallels to Alien vs Aliens, although Alien is a vastly more accomplished film than the rougher-around-the-edges Terminator.

Welcome to the "James Cameron sequels are Overrated" fan club.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
This discussion has been closed.