As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Armada] Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I like the lancer in the background, just there, no big deal... :)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yay, got my printer working again!

Here's my progress through the Super bowl.

6om3WnQh.jpg

Just got the 10 squadrons I have left to go printed out and ready to cut and fold...

haSLLubh.jpg

... Oh. Oh fuck, what have I done?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm actually really, REALLY curious how you painted at such detail.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "Magic!", except when he says it, there are sparkles like bad 80's special effects around his hands.

My guess is fine tip felt marker for the colors, and a good wash for the highlights.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    And by posting that to the local X-wing / Armada facebook group, I've been invited to join a team tourney down in Champaign in a few weeks.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just used a fine paintbrush and some paint.

I used to paint both the whites and blacks of individual 40k Imperial Guardsmen heads so this was a walk in the park.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I just used a fine paintbrush and some paint.

I used to paint both the whites and blacks of individual 40k Imperial Guardsmen heads so this was a walk in the park.

You say that, but all I hear is
    MAGIC!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Wave 6.
    swm26_layout.png

swm27_layout.png

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/14/swm-up-close-and-personal/

BOARDING PARTIES.

Also that Hammerhead expansion does indeed come with two separate small based ships.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

That is a smart way to do it.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fuck yes.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    These are awesome.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I impulsively bought an Arquitens Light Cruiser. I don't have any other Armada ships. I just like the ship model.

oh h*ck
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I did that with the Imperial Star Destroyer. The models are really great for being mass produced.

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    We just finished our first Corellian Conflict campaign with a crushing Imperial victory. 5 of our 6 players had never played Armada before so unfortunately some early loses piled up quickly and it was a landslide. We have kept our teams the same but have swapped factions and are prepping for another go as everyone still had a great time doing so.

Some observations:
    • The special assaults (Hyperlane Raid and Show of Force) are really important especially early on for getting an initial influx of Resource Points.
    • Losing a game and potentially a base is still better than having to do a full fleet repair. Be prepared to evac (can declare to do so on turns 4 and 5) if needed. The difference between a destroyed ship and an evac'd ship is huge as every little loss adds up.
    • Base defense missions are no joke, especially the Armed Station. It gives the defender not only another set of guns, but another ship activation. Be wary about early base assaults until your fleet is prepared for them.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    How large a collection were you using to get that done or was everyone using their own ships?

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    We actually used Tabletop Simulator via Steam to play it. I was the only one prior to the campaign who owned models. I purchased the CC box set to get the rules and additional materials and then coordinated the campaign online. The best part was that doing so actually sparked a number of them to go buy the physical models.

Only house rule we put in place was that fleet lists remained hidden until the start of each game. This made it a bit more interesting especially at the start as you had no idea what your opponent was going to be fielding. Once the campaign got going, you had an idea what they had but could only guess how they spent their refit and resource points. Added some fog of war which helped.

TheColonel on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    TTS Armada is very very good.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    That's kinda tempting honestly. Would need to see about getting some interested friends together and doing some practice game on TTS before we do any campaign stuff but could be a more practical way to play than another shelf of plastic.

Gladiator for $18, yay or neigh?

oh h*ck
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Gladiator for $18, yay or neigh?

It's a good ship and that's a good price for it!

My fleet grows...
    12sl7ix0elcy.jpg

oh h*ck
    I don't mean to double post but I might have bought something large.

Some might say it's imperial in size.

oh h*ck
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I don't mean to double post but I might have bought something large.

Some might say it's imperial in size.

Do you know the odds?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I played the Corellian Campaign yesterday, and hadn't played for about a year. It was fun, and a bit odd.

I took a list of TRC90s and YT2400s. It's what I default to when I haven't played for a while, because with a command stack of 1, no need for fighter commands, and the CR90's manoeuvrability, it's quite a simple list to fly. I usually take Mon Mothma but yesterday I tried Cracken, so I could use the TRCs more aggressively.

I won the first two games, and added some A-wings, some upgrades, and a 6th corvette for the third (and final) match, but my opponents stacked on more anti-squadron (my YTs had dominated both matches and got a few bomber kills), tractor beams on most ships, some upgrades on the Interdictor, and and one of them had Konstantine. Now, the match ended when we ran out of time, so it was called a draw, but I think I would have lost (then again, I thought I was going to lose halfway through both previous matches). At any rate this match was going a lot worse for me, because they were able to build to counter my list. My list, however, couldn't really be built very differently - I was never going to have the points to add an MC80 and a non-rogue fighter wing, or change up the fleet in any other way.

I guess if it had been 3v3 with more campaign matches, either my opponents would all have to build to counter me (benefiting my team mates) or I could try to avoid the 1 or 2 who were countering me, or play keep-away in a bad match-up, but since we went straight from the first two matches into the showdown there was none of this.

It was interesting, and a lot of fun. The objectives were a bit surprising. I picked to attack an asteroid field because I'm so agile and he's not, that'll be great for me! Then oh, in this objective he ignores obstacles. Damn. Then I defended a base with Ion Cannons, I got to shoot at him every turn because I lined them up in front of his slow Vic and Interdictor, and did something like 3 damage every turn. His Vic was low on shields on all facings, with exhausted defence tokens, by the time it entered the battle. I only picked it because fighter wing didn't really work with no fighter commands, and defence station didn't work with an agile fleet that didn't want to be pinned down, I wasn't expecting to get much out of it, but it was a great help.

And gratuitous collection pics:
    20170415_213830.jpg?dl=0
    20170415_213839.jpg?dl=0

edited May 2017
    Played my first game Saturday! Much fun was had!

I played the Imperial side. My TIE's did good work and I destroyed all 4 of his X-Wing's at a cost of 4 of my squadrons. We went to time with all ships having no shields and 1 hit on hull.

I probably should have been using the Maneuver command almost exclusively because the Vic is soooooooooooooo slow. I only got one attack off with my front arc before his ships flanked me.

edit - We played using only the base game.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
    Played my second game! We are still using the Core set but we swapped sides and added obstacles and an objective. The objective was Advanced Gunnery.

I won! I got the jump on his squadrons with mine and he navigated his Vic into the debris fields and an asteroid. His ship took 6 damage all told from obstacles and I think that's tipped the balance to me.

I didn't mean to double post, again >.> As tomorrow is May the Fourth I would appreciate it if everyone hoped for a sale on Core Sets so I can buy one!

oh h*ck
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Played my second game! We are still using the Core set but we swapped sides and added obstacles and an objective. The objective was Advanced Gunnery.

I won! I got the jump on his squadrons with mine and he navigated his Vic into the debris fields and an asteroid. His ship took 6 damage all told from obstacles and I think that's tipped the balance to me.

I didn't mean to double post, again >.> As tomorrow is May the Fourth I would appreciate it if everyone hoped for a sale on Core Sets so I can buy one!

I would love a sale on a Core set, or just ships om general.
    Because I keep looking at this and thinking it looks fun, but I have almost no one to play with,unless I talk my brother into trying it instead of our semi-regular Blood Bowl (doesn't seem likely), and it's seems quite expensive for something i'll just end up playing by myself.

Found a core set for $61! Ships from the UK. For free.

Globalization is weird.

oh h*ck
    My Core Set arrived today! So happy!

oh h*ck
    Triple Post! There's a preview article up about the Imperial Light Carrier (The Imperial guitar pick...of destiny).

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/19/rapid-deployment/

oh h*ck
  • KorsakoviaKorsakovia technoDaleks Registered User regular
    Oh man...this game is so tempting.
    Ships, fleet combat, management, etc...all weak points for me. :(

Korsakovia wrote: »

It is so good! The models are good enough even if you don't play much.

webguy20 wrote: »
    Korsakovia wrote: »

It is so good! The models are good enough even if you don't play much.

The Imperial Star Destroyer just looks good sitting there on my shelf.

oh h*ck
    Great. Now I need multiple copies of the Hammerhead pack.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/2/prepare-for-impact/

Yeah. Going with one Imperial Carrier at AT LEAST two sets of Hammerheads seems good. Maybe three sets.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Damn, those are looking good.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    As someone who likes to field 6+ Corvettes, I can see a fleet of 6-8 Hammerheads being fun too. 8 Hammerheads + external racks + Task Force Organa and Leia could be fun alpha-strike list.

As someone who likes to field 6+ Corvettes, I can see a fleet of 6-8 Hammerheads being fun too. 8 Hammerheads + external racks + Task Force Organa and Leia could be fun alpha-strike list.

Just blaring a cavalry charge bugle on the first turn and go.

Different game, but I can just imagine these guys riding the heads of the corvettes...

34887292736_e4656f8ac8_b.jpg

Sadly I would not be able to cram an MP3 player and speakers into a Hammerhead like I did with that Valkyrie Gunship for my Imperial Guard army.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Different game, but I can just imagine these guys riding the heads of the corvettes...

34887292736_e4656f8ac8_b.jpg

Okay, but where can I get that?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png