As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need a new desk chair

bowenbowen How you doin'?Registered User regular
So. I'm in the market for a new desk chair. My chair at work is falling apart and I'm looking for something that's comfortable because I'm a software developer who's sitting for 3/4 of the day. Any recommendations would be perfect. I'd like something with a full back if possible!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    What price range we lookin' at here?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    under $500 probably

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with my IKEA Markus chair. However, I have a medium-fat butt so... If you're fatter than me you'd want something with a broader seat while if you're more well trained you might want something with more padding.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It's not under $500, but the most comfortable chair I've ever had is the Aeron Chair.

I had a tailbone injury that required my workplace to find me a better chair, and that's the one they got me (bonus is that I do have a big butt, and that chair comes in big butt sizes).

I liked the chair so much (and my tailbone pain was causing me so much pain at home) that I bought one of my own for home use.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    mmmm I wonder if I can get them to go for that

I bet I'll have a hard time unless I go halfsies

but $400 isn't a bad investment to get off this chair

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    mmmm I wonder if I can get them to go for that

I bet I'll have a hard time unless I go halfsies

but $400 isn't a bad investment to get off this chair

You can find refurbs on ebay for right around your price range.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm very happy with my IKEA Markus chair.

+1 on a Markus, and not entirely because I'm Swedish.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm very happy with my IKEA Markus chair. However, I have a medium-fat butt so... If you're fatter than me you'd want something with a broader seat while if you're more well trained you might want something with more padding.

Yeah, I tried a Markus and my bony ass found it kinda uncomfortable.

If you can find a used/refurbished Aeron or convince your job to get you a new one I'd go that route. It even has an optional head rest.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    If you want something a bit cheaper than Aeron, I really like these chairs from the Container Store (I know, I was surprised too). Looks like a cheap crappy chair... but they are super comfy because off the bungee cord supports.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/desks/desk-chairs/12

chaird_492.jpg

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I don't know if these are available where you are, but I liked this one so much at work I got one for home and they are under your budget. The seat is memory foam so it doesn't pack out like regular foam, or at least hasn't in the four years I've used it.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Tempur-Pedic-Mesh-Chair-Highback-Black/product_324021_2-CA_1_20001?akamai-feo=off

steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I was actually thinking about something like a wobble stool but not sure how that would be for a lot of sitting. But I have a bad back with bad posture

camo_sig.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Steelcase Leap?

• RendRend Registered User regular
    http://www.allsteeloffice.com/products/seating/work/trooper

Doesn't look like much but it's probably the most ergonomic chair I've ever sat in. I bought one for home, I liked my work one so much.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Bowen do not go halvsies with your office on anything. Dont spend your money on a thing for your job!

spool32 on
    spool32 wrote: »
    Bowen do not go halvsies with your office on anything. Dont spend your money on a thing for your job!

I know.

But I also don't want to end up with a POS chair like this again.

"We spent $300 on it"

Yeah well no one fucking sat in them to feel how they felt.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

I know.

But I also don't want to end up with a POS chair like this again.

"We spent $300 on it"

Yeah well no one fucking sat in them to feel how they felt.

Price /= Quality

PSN: jfrofl
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Spending your own money for work is totally worth it, if it improves your health.

You spend 2000 hours a year at work, so dealing with something that actively harms your health isn't worth it. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Mechanical keyboard, gaming mouse, gel floor mat, all those were bought on my dime for work.

I'm lucky that I got reimbursed for my standing desk and bar height chair, but given how much that has improved my posture and health, I would totally pay for that myself, if I had to.

iTNdmYl.png
  • CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    I don't know if these are available where you are, but I liked this one so much at work I got one for home and they are under your budget. The seat is memory foam so it doesn't pack out like regular foam, or at least hasn't in the four years I've used it.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Tempur-Pedic-Mesh-Chair-Highback-Black/product_324021_2-CA_1_20001?akamai-feo=off

This is what we currently use at work also. I'm right around 350lbs and it holds up fairly well thus far.

Only complaint is that the arm rests don't come up high enough for me, but the chair seat is fantastic.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    One of the things I like about Herman Miller chairs, is you can tend to get them to honor warranties even for used chairs. I bought a Mirra from a Healthy Back outlet. It was an old display model, and had a minor scuff on the seat that ended up actually resulting in a tear after sitting on it. They suggested I reach out to HM and they sent me a whole new base which had upgraded features not on my original.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Current job has some sort of Herman Miller chair, previous one had Steelcase Leap, and both of those are pretty great for back/butt support, though the fabric on the seat of the Steelcase ones was pretty worn out on a lot of those chairs after a few years. Do you want armrests on the chair? If so, then make sure that whatever you end up with has the right sorts of those for you; adjustability up/down and in/out (and possibly forwards/backwards) makes a big difference.

my budget is apparently $150

I hate my job.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

I hate my job.

I've had this chair for a year for my desk job, and I'm still very happy with it. It was $145 when I bought it, but now it's just $98.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046H56JS/

Mid-back rather than full, but the mesh back is great for staying cool during long sessions, it has good support, and it's comfy.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular

I hate my job.

Standing desk?

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

I hate my job.

I've had this chair for a year for my desk job, and I'm still very happy with it. It was $145 when I bought it, but now it's just $98.

Mid-back rather than full, but the mesh back is great for staying cool during long sessions, it has good support, and it's comfy.

I use a heavier duty version of that at home. It has been both comfortable and sturdy.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

I hate my job.

I've had this chair for a little over two years, only complaints:
    • The back mesh is slightly warped near the bottom from pressure, but it's fine functionally.
    • Dust gathers in the well behind the mesh.
    • It squeaks like a motherfucker after two years.

Oh, and if you prefer an armless chair, those are super easy to remove.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    This ones nice. I use it at home. (I'm much smaller than the 400 lb limit, so its oversized, which i like).

http://www.bjs.com/la-z-boy-big---tall-chair.product.287038

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ChasinTheTraneChasinTheTrane Registered User regular
    I would recommend looking through Craigslist, especially with your decently sized budget!