As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AOMEI Backupper Software vs bad sectors?

So... I've been meaning to replace the Seagate 500gb external HDD I use for a months now (it's about ~3 years old) and just never did it. My last backup was in October. Unfortunately, its final woes have come upon me. Like, I got something to look at the SMART information and it's deep in the midst of failure. It's approaching 2000 offline uncorrectables, and while I can open files via shortcuts I can't access folders on it (I can't just call it a day, so I must use it until I get home). Replacing it with an external SSD.

But there's still the problem of November's information that I need to pull off the drive (wouldn't be the end of the world as I largely recall modifications to my projects I made, and there was no real new build done that would be permanently lost).

Was looking for something to let me clone the drive despite bad sectors, and came across AOMEI Backupper. Have any of you guys used it? Is it any good? If not, what other tool can I get to whisk my data off the drive as cheaply as possible?

(Sorry if this belongs more in H/A than here but I figured it was a software question?).

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Given what you've described, I'm pretty sure AOMEI would let you clone the drive no matter what--though when you restored the image, that's when things get unpredictable. AOMEI also has a few integrity-checking measures that are optional to run as well, though that would mostly just tell you if something were likely to go wrong, and not how to fix it.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I did give it a shot yesterday and it wouldn't clone it because it detected errors and said to run a chkdsk on it first. Started that last night, and it was still going this morning. Assuming the chkdsk completes tonight, I'm going to try a full backup, then transfer proper in lieu of cloning. The drive wasn't clicking, thrashing, so I figure it was low risk to just do it... though now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I did a /f instead of /r... so I'll probably have to do it again.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Aomei backupper is garbage from my experience trying to find a replacement to ghost at work. But Macrium Reflect seems to do a very good job so far.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I'll have to check it out, thanks.

What I wound up doing was just letting a chkdsk run on another computer for a few days, and after that finished hooked it up and was able to get the stuff I needed from November. And it's been sitting there unused ever since.