As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "Bad" [fashion] Thread: Technically also things Man was not meant to digest.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I've had the same fight with two friends on two separate occasions in which I had to convince them the article of clothing I was looking for was not actual fetish wear or bondage gear

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Google translate says that means
    "If you wear this, it is likely that you will hear the call of Cthulhu."

hmmmmmmmmmmmm I want

I am very interested in seeing a video of someone walking in these

"walking" might not be the right word. The tentacles are functional

hot

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    They're cool from an artistic standpoint, but all my eye can see is the tentacle that's poking right into the side of that foot.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i mean if they didn't pierce your flesh they'd never stay on.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Yes yes you may get SOME incredibly painful raised welts from the suckers but that's just the cost of looking good.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I need to buy some new shirts, I guess

Are short sleeve button down shirts ok, if they aren't all poofy becuase I'm skinny?

You know, for casual situations when I do not want to wear a t-shirt

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

Are short sleeve button down shirts ok, if they aren't all poofy becuase I'm skinny?

I would get a long sleeve shirt and just roll the sleeves up when it gets too hot.

I say this because that's what I do.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I want those tentacle shoes so goddamn much

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

I would get a long sleeve shirt and just roll the sleeves up when it gets too hot.

I don't think that look works with shorts though

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

(Get some linen pants.)

As my local Bay is greatly expanding their Topman section they're getting rid of most of their Ralph Lauren Denim & Supply stuff for cheap. Which is a mixed bag because I just picked up a bunch of shirts, but I kind of like that tacky Americana aesthetic they have and will miss that section. Ralph Lauren itself is ninety percent neon polos retailing for a hundred and fifty dollars, while having one designer that they can't figure out how to fire who will do the odd shirt with like, one sleeve in zebra print and a jet fighter eating a gazelle on the back. And I love the craziness. Just not for a hundred and fifty. D&S felt like the more reasonably priced version.

False edit: For non-canucks, I should probably say that The Hudson's Bay Company is a big (the main?) Canadian clothing++ retailer. Wikipedia tells me they own Saks Fifth Avenue in the US and Galeria Kaufhof in Germany, as well as telling me that their original name, from their 1670 royal charter, was The Governor and Company of Adventurers of England trading into Hudson's Bay.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    As someone who once wore short sleeved button ups

Get normal shirts and roll the sleeves up

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

It works better than most short sleeve button downs.

It also works just fine regardless.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Cuff dem shirts.

Also stop wearing flip flops, it means you can't come with me to the good bars, geez

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Short sleeve button ups are a hard thing to pull off. I've known people to do it (hell, I have a friend who was able to successfully pull off nothing but short sleeve pearl snap shirts for several years), but in general, I'd recommend against them unless you're at least moderately jacked. Cuffing long sleeved button ups is almost a universally better look.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Short sleeve button ups are a hard thing to pull off. I've known people to do it (hell, I have a friend who was able to successfully pull off nothing but short sleeve pearl snap shirts for several years), but in general, I'd recommend against them unless you're at least moderately jacked. Cuffing long sleeved button ups is almost a universally better look.

i was trying to articulate why long sleeved are better for most people but this sums it up much better

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Cuff dem shirts.

Also stop wearing flip flops, it means you can't come with me to the good bars, geez

don't wear flip flops, wear good sandals!

where-to-buy-chacos-400x240.jpg?8b1c8c

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Don't wear sandals.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    but wearing shoes with shorts feels weird!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Don't wear sandals.

Conversely, wear sandals with unmatched socks.

• Options

I've got an easy fix for you here too.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

Wear boat shoes

Embrace the Dadstyle

• Options
    I have a hell of a time finding clothes I like for summer

Shorts, flip flops or slip on shoes, t shirt

I guess?

• Options
    Do you have clothes you like for other parts of the year?

Because if so, just keep wearing those. Nobody says you have to switch to shorts and a t-shirt just because it's summer.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the 90 degrees outside says I do. but shorts and shoes doesn't bother me

• Options
    Wear sandals

Wear sandals OR flip flops

Wear these when you are on the beach or backpacking or trekking somewhere hot where there aren't poisonous things to step on.

Or like to pool parties

I mean hell, wear them wherever you want, you do you.

But you won't be able to come into some bars and restaurants and that's a bummer.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    If it's hot enough to be wearing shorts, I'm also probably wearing a pair of Toms or another similar pair of slip on shoe

• Options
    Like, I wear jeans and button up shirts or t-shirts year round, unless I'm feeling particularly fancy or particularly slutty (which can happen at any point in the year)

And yeah, sometimes it's hot in the summer, but honestly, you get used to it pretty quickly, your body is good at adapting to temperature changes

If you wear light colors, it can even be kind of helpful in deflecting some of the heat (this is advice I don't take myself, as a strong proponent of all black all the time, but still)

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    As someone who has to wear pants, covered shoes and long sleeved dress shirts every day in the tropical heat

No

You never get used to it

It always sucks

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Like, I wear jeans and button up shirts or t-shirts year round, unless I'm feeling particularly fancy or particularly slutty (which can happen at any point in the year)

And yeah, sometimes it's hot in the summer, but honestly, you get used to it pretty quickly, your body is good at adapting to temperature changes

If you wear light colors, it can even be kind of helpful in deflecting some of the heat (this is advice I don't take myself, as a strong proponent of all black all the time, but still)

My body adapts by sweating profusely. Nobody wants that, especially not me, so when it gets warm I shift to shorts and sandals or flip-flops almost entirely. Dressing up a bit more when appropriate or necessary.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I sometimes do long sleeve tshirts in the summer and just roll up the sleeves to the elbow like a dress shirt.

It's got about the same weight as a normal tshirt, so it's not super burdensome in the heat, but allows me to stay a bit warmer in ACed rooms.

It still looks fairly good in shorts. But yeah, my normal work attire doesn't really change in the summer. Khakis/jeans with long sleeve henlys/ or long sleeve polos.

If you're trying to be stylish... probably don't take advice from me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I like canvas slippers for the summer. Mostly with linnen pants for when it's too warm for other pants.
    For shorts it has to be really hot for my personally.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Veldrin wrote: »
    As someone who has to wear pants, covered shoes and long sleeved dress shirts every day in the tropical heat

No

You never get used to it

It always sucks

:bro:
    The horrors of business dress in the outer levels of hell. Second only to outdoor summer Louisiana afternoon wedding on the list of clothes no no situations

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Boat shoes or low top Chuck Taylors or Onitsuka Tigers are all totally okay shoes-with-shorts options that I will partake of

• Options
    I'm a big fan of these with shorts

3106705870_lg.jpg

• Options
    I'm undecided on those

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I usually wear athletic shoes in the summer due to doing... athletic stuff. I have a pair of high tops now that might get a bit hot

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Wear sandals

Wear sandals OR flip flops

Wear these when you are on the beach or backpacking or trekking somewhere hot where there aren't poisonous things to step on.

Or like to pool parties

I mean hell, wear them wherever you want, you do you.

But you won't be able to come into some bars and restaurants and that's a bummer.

Okay but I care way more about being comfortable than I do about dumb arbitrary rules so if I'm not allowed to go somewhere because of how I'm dressed, that's their loss, not mine. I'll just go to a bar that doesn't suck.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Feet are gross and I should never have to see any of yours

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I wear sandals when I go floating but that's it. Honestly though, I'm super rare about that in this region. Everyone here wears some variation of them most days of the year.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I have a hell of a time finding clothes I like for summer

Shorts, flip flops or slip on shoes, t shirt

I guess?
    Do you have clothes you like for other parts of the year?

Because if so, just keep wearing those. Nobody says you have to switch to shorts and a t-shirt just because it's summer.

That's fine, up until about mid-May

I live in Pennsylvania, which doesn't really have a reputation as a warm place, but when it gets about 85, I just sweat and get very uncomfortable

Some times, I do just wear jeans and t shirts, all summer long, but I often switch to shorts

I need summer shirts though, that don't need ironed

I do have some long sleeve button down shirts, but they look goofy if they aren't tucked in to khakis

And they all have that hem that says take this shift into khakis

DouglasDanger on
This discussion has been closed.