As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The "Bad" [fashion] Thread: Technically also things Man was not meant to digest.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    If I can't go there in my cheap ill fitting pocket tees and jeans and feel moderately comfortable it isn't worth going.

Clothes to me are usually more of a comfortable means to cover my disgusting body anyway.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't even think I own anything to "dress up" in. I guess shirt and tie.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't even think I own anything to "dress up" in. I guess shirt and tie.

I mean that's pretty much it. A shirt that isn't a t-shirt, leg coverings that aren't shorts or full of holes, foot coverings that don't show your feet and/or you wouldn't go running in. That's good enough for most places.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah. And honestly the t-shirt thing isn't an issue in as many places these days I find. Ever since t-shirts went upscale I guess, maybe? We were talking about it at the bar the other night because the bartenders usually wear jackets and they all were in their t-shirts for once. And the guy I was with was wearing a v-neck tee.

Anyway I love a dive or a casual place as much as anybody, you just gotta dress for the venue. Or don't go, if the venue dress is a problem for you, sure.

Just, you know, if you can help it, don't be That Person who doesn't dress properly. And if your are that person by accident, don't be the one who then has a hissy shitfit outside or makes the whole group rework their evening.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    If I were ever That Person i'd disappear in a cloud of embarrassment and return to the sea

zkHcp.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That's why all my T-shirts have a tuxedo on the front

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    This is why you hi/low. Never over dressed. Never underdressed.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Wear sandals

Wear sandals OR flip flops

Wear these when you are on the beach or backpacking or trekking somewhere hot where there aren't poisonous things to step on.

Or like to pool parties

I mean hell, wear them wherever you want, you do you.

But you won't be able to come into some bars and restaurants and that's a bummer.

Okay but I care way more about being comfortable than I do about dumb arbitrary rules so if I'm not allowed to go somewhere because of how I'm dressed, that's their loss, not mine. I'll just go to a bar that doesn't suck.

I understand the sentiment here, and that's all well and good when you're going out alone. But what happens a lot to me, especially in cities where there are upscale places with dresscodes, is this:

We all plan to go in a group to a known, upscale establishment.

Everyone arrives at the establishment.

One person rolls up in flip flops.

So what do you do at that point? It's rude to expect the entire party to rearrange their planned evening because you couldn't bring yourself to wear loafers.

I'm not digging in to the classist or exclusionary angles of argument here, although those do exist. The fact is, these aren't bars that suck, they're really good bars or restaurants that happen to have a dresscode (whether you're fine with that or not). It's not so uncommon in downtown areas of major cities that it couldn't be predicted, and one person refusing to snazzy up a bit is really frustrating for the rest of the party.

Even as someone who wears flip flops or sandals 90+% of the time in the summer now, I would be upset with someone who showed up to a group event under-dressed to such an extent that they weren't allowed in. The one time I've ever had that happen because of summer wear, the rest of us ditched the guys who wore shorts and sandals and went to the club we were supposed to go to. Harsh, but they truly should have known better. It was a planned event to a venue that would clearly go by the "dress to impress" guidelines of the time, and everybody had been there at least once before. Dubious choice in retrospect, but that's a whole other story.

The only other times I've been in a group where someone was denied admission because of dress code, it was the lone black guy in our group being singled out for "baggy jeans" or something sneaker related or some other incredible bullshit that was clearly just racism on the part of the bouncers/doormen. I've never gone back to any of those bars again, even places I'd loved previously. Fuck them.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    A few years ago I went to PAXAus with only a pair of sandals. We all arranged to meet in a bar that wouldn't let me in in jeans and sandals, so I went up the road and bought some cheap sneakers and socks. Problem solved, we all had a good night.

Now I bring shoes when I go places.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I think the going excuse for no flip flops is health and safety (someone could step on your shoes, you could stand on broken glass in something that will easily get punctured).

Especially in a dark club, where someone could stab a stiletto into your foot.

I know what everyone is going to say, "what about women with open top shoes".

I never said this excuse was good.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah. And honestly the t-shirt thing isn't an issue in as many places these days I find. Ever since t-shirts went upscale I guess, maybe? We were talking about it at the bar the other night because the bartenders usually wear jackets and they all were in their t-shirts for once. And the guy I was with was wearing a v-neck tee.

Anyway I love a dive or a casual place as much as anybody, you just gotta dress for the venue. Or don't go, if the venue dress is a problem for you, sure.

Just, you know, if you can help it, don't be That Person who doesn't dress properly. And if your are that person by accident, don't be the one who then has a hissy shitfit outside or makes the whole group rework their evening.

So what you're saying is don't wear a tuxedo to Waffle House?

edited April 2017
    And speaking to friends who have worked as doormen, they're more likely to send people away wearing shorts because (This is in the UK mind) shorts are seen as daywear and if you're rocking up to the fancy bar/club in shorts, it probably means you've been skulling pints in the pub all day.

Karl on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I went to fogo de chao once and they sat us in the corner 100% because the person I was with was wearing a star wars tshirt and sandals

food tasted just as good in the corner though

we had a fogo do chao nearby for a while but I could never remember the name and kept referring to it as taco del fuego

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I feel like definitely wear a tuxedo to the Waffle House.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    If I was aware ahead of time it was a dress up event I would either dress appropriately or not go depending on how I feel about the dress. If I wasn't made explicitly aware it's a dress up event and it's over 70 degrees outside I will be showing up in shorts and whatever footwear feels right because fuck pants.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Now that's a sentiment I can agree with.

Fuck pants.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Men really need more styles of dress that's socially considered "fancy" because sometimes you wanna look classy but also wanna get them legs out, y'know.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    (Image may be considered NSFW)
    Fantasy-Lingerie-Excite-for-Men-Tuxedo-Thong-Set-9116825d-d1ff-499d-9297-45e4045666d8_600.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    heavens to betsy

I do believe magic pink has the vapors.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    let me pull out my fainting couch

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Fantasy-Lingerie-Excite-for-Men-Tuxedo-Thong-Set-9116825d-d1ff-499d-9297-45e4045666d8_600.jpg

WHERE DO I PURCHASE THIS???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    is that a fainting couch in your pocket or did you just click that spoiler

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    you're going to need to fall on it to find out

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

Pfft, pulling out is for quitters.

Jars wrote: »

Pfft, pulling out is for quitters.

a..ayyyyy?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    img]

WHERE DO I PURCHASE THIS???
    "Tuxedo Speedo" should get you plenty of options!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Men really need more styles of dress that's socially considered "fancy" because sometimes you wanna look classy but also wanna get them legs out, y'know.

Kilts

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like fashion has been trying to push short suits as a real thing for a few years now. I know they had a selection of them last time I checked out Sene.

Straightzi wrote: »
    I feel like fashion has been trying to push short suits as a real thing for a few years now. I know they had a selection of them last time I checked out Sene.

It's been a thing since Seinfeld was on the air. Man-dresses and kilts have made occasionally appearances too. Recently I've been seeing dark blue and black dresses with like that lacy stuff on the edges. I guess it's going for a more feminine look? No idea. I wish it were appropriate for me to wear shorts, I could rock some khaki shorts or something no problem. The female office workers wear capris and sandals maybe I should wear those. It's only fair right?

Grey Ghost wrote: »

Kilts

kilts are rapidly approaching fedoras in the avoidability column

I have never seen anyone pull off a kilt besides at a formal event with some link to Scotland.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I have never seen anyone pull off a kilt besides at a formal event with some link to Scotland.

hell, I am mostly Scottish (and Danish) and I know I can't pull off a kilt

I also feel like there are some pretty good jokes to be made out of that statement, like 'cheese danish or cherry?' or 'if you can't pull off a kilt, maybe get a size up'

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Utili-Kilt at a beer or music fest I also find quite acceptable. Bonus points for large beard.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    love a kilt. love men in kilts.

...love men out of kilts.

look, i have a lot of love.
    giving myself some vapors, since i don't think I've ever actually taken the opportunity to remove someone's great kilt, and-- @Usagi, i need a Pam gif. i MAY have been unduly influenced by Adrian Paul at a formative age WHATEVER HE WAS HOT

yeah utilikilts can swiftly go wrong. but i worked with a chef who rocked that shit. he had a few plaids, as well, but who wants to risk those in a kitchen?

lfchwLd.jpg
    pooka wrote: »
    love a kilt. love men in kilts.

...love men out of kilts.

look, i have a lot of love.
    giving myself some vapors, since i don't think I've ever actually taken the opportunity to remove someone's great kilt, and-- @Usagi, i need a Pam gif. i MAY have been unduly influenced by Adrian Paul at a formative age WHATEVER HE WAS HOT

yeah utilikilts can swiftly go wrong. but i worked with a chef who rocked that shit. he had a few plaids, as well, but who wants to risk those in a kitchen?

That shirt and socks look?

I didn't say Utilikilt
    If you ain't wrapping a huge length of homespun around yourself as a combination kilt and cloak and sleeping bag then don't even bother

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Spoilered for yuge:
    light-blue-shirtdress-white-high-top-sneakers-gold-crossbody-bag-original-9974.jpg

?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's a good look

BahamutZERO.gif
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't care for the big wool socks scrunched down next to sneakers look, personally, but otherwise it's pretty good.

This discussion has been closed.