As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mightyhog's Sketchbook

13»

• MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    Recent digital life drawing, below...

z087o000ljc4.jpg

22wdu26ocetx.jpg

Below, a seven minute pose that got away from me...

qls1gq6b5goa.jpg

8ql9ltlnixmd.jpg

00tl2cuw6yzo.jpg

bo7ha0iic0e9.jpg

qxyx6ld5syqd.jpg

3wfu3p5199mz.jpg

I was pretty happy with this round, even if I think I'm working with very little actual anatomical knowledge. Knees, for instance, are registered only in terms of broad shapes and overlap...

Among other little strategies I tried to practice, sticking to one brush, the stock Dry Media brush "Graphite Pencil" really seemed to help.

Aquatron Work in Progress, below...

uyvzqsg5bl9c.jpg

(original photograph here)
    Next up is an ambient occlusion pass!

• LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    this journey is really interesting with all the analysis on master studies

Life drawing this week, with a time lapse video! God, I love drawing at low resolutions.

myh8sa7wx55z.jpg

mcdctbm0ypkm.jpg

qqof86qdzu1j.jpg

c8wb3tzucxyr.jpg

lfw7bkial74l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDzmwKNbN0

Progress on my Aquatron study:

xir05aiuohn4.jpg

Here's a GIF of painting after my AO pass...

7nntu523a7jf.gif

(And the reference, again)

In handling light and color, especially the subtle reflections on the black front face, I find myself resorting to brute force... very little intellectual understanding.

Samples of Life drawing this week, trying to reduce to just primitives...

Seven Minute Poses...

wccczbckc2r4.jpg

m4lk6v9d333s.jpg

Ten Minute Poses...

knr3t1u9ujyk.jpg

j74sc44e0cpm.jpg

Called this "done" recently...

fsrk7b9kvtbd.jpg

...and out of four Compound Retro Tech sketches, picked one to take to completion...

y0kl3n2v2w5q.png

Progress on the Compound Retro Tech, colors currently all flat...

9qb1p14k02op.jpg
    oweciuuhhqwf.jpg
    a950z8gx67av.jpg
    i8qo0857478v.jpg
    14pehgbzc76b.jpg

See how I moved the lever? It messes with the composition... but I couldn't figure how to logically put the lever any higher, ha. I might move the whole seam more toward the rear of the device, just so I can have the lever where I'd like it...

I can be argued down from the light blue visor, but I just wasn't sure where to take it. Vibrant, or more dark to match the device's interior faces? I might try red, either vibrant or dull...

Compound Retro Tech WIP, wrapping up an ambient occlusion pass...

hyiy45pb645c.jpg

The design of the forehead meter is certainly subject to change... I may just do away with the white and add a blue stripe beneath the black squares.

I'm most concerned about how to handle the reflection, here:

2fmxbx3g8mkj.jpg

I don't actually know how light behaves, really... but I know the antenna won't be reflected straight down, like a tree over a lake. Help!

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do you have two objects that can replicate the conditions you want? That might be the easiest way to get the information you need about how the reflection would look.

Thanks for the advice, Iruka! ...I did the lazy thing and tried to mock it up in Blender:

ulzszbiyu4jf.png

Here's my plan re: reflecting the antenna...

1tfhdl0znlu0.jpg

@Mightyhog the lazy way is the efficient way and therefore the smart way ;D

Ha thanks @LegacyGame
    I'm going to leave this exercise off here:

oe1wuehcymt0.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pretty sick dude, that is some patience that I just dont think I have. There's something really facinating about watching you do these studies. I guess to me it seems masochistic because I would loathe being this fastidious, but I think the results are really fucking cool.

That means a lot to me, Iruka! I don't know when I'll get back into studies like this, but I think they helped for the creative work to come! I may try to do more quick studies in digital pencils, just to stay sharp...

Mini-Update,
    Played around with gestures in a Nicolaides vein at recent life drawing, which is an interesting thread to pick up. "The Natural Way to Draw" was my introduction to gesture, and though I took hard to the Vilppu path, it still feels like coming home.

See a recent 20 minute pose's gesture: basically a few long strokes, sort of "sculptural"
    47bv8aqrvtmv.png

and the final pose...
    2x18gdrtapjv.png

I've heard some arguments against Nicolaides, but I like the feel of this sort of thing.

Mightyhog wrote: »
    Ha thanks @LegacyGame
    I'm going to leave this exercise off here:

oe1wuehcymt0.jpg

the lighting on these are spot on, looks like a CG render