As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iruka's Thread, Sketchbook Dumpin' since twenty ten Y'all.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thanks!

Working on a little still life.
    6asjfcqv75nr.jpg

• NatriNatri Registered User regular
    Really cool setup, looking forward to seeing where you end up with this!

www.instagram.com/ceneven
    edited January 2017
    thanks dude. Nothing quite like a still life to remind you that observation takes time. I'll see if I have some hours to make headway on this over the week.
    a3wkqezh9od0.jpg

Iruka on
  • MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    Do you start out with any sort of fixed palette? I guess I'm just curious how early other people make their color decisions.

@Mightyhog

Sometimes I put a little thing up in the corner to look at but I rarely use it:
    akwf9i2mzrz6.jpg

I mostly just put down a base color and then use the color picker as I go. Same sort of process as this old study:
    whcerxwm56q4.jpg

I rely alot on photoshop trickery for colors, in that I treat them as very temporary things that can always be modified. I kinda want to get back into real paints to think about color more from the beginning.

Interesting! I doubt I could play it loose like that without the colors looking obviously overworked... the older study has especially confident choices, I like it!

a6jaqwjwapp8.jpg
    still plugging away on it.

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    wow! Looking good!

dw054wpiaxcn.jpg
    I think I'm going to call it quits, it was a fun study, though

edited April 2017
    Had a surprise day off, so I started this.
    5l3qsnoy4k3d.jpg

Iruka on
    Super cool!

I particularly like the the simplified tones on the skull.

@Sublimus Thanks! I should post the progress on it:
    4u9e3qb0ms64.jpg
    I probably would do another pass on it before I printed it, but I'm moving on for now.

Really like the way you flattened the drips and drops into pure design elements!

This came out great! Love the gold especially!

Havent been crazy productive art wise the last few weeks, but here's some highlights from the sketchbook.

g447kf6cnn28.jpg
    38xh34wyfutw.jpg
    u6zm9frnbc15.jpg
    pquo89uwthjr.jpg
    b3cq1qokeyr1.jpg

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Friggin love the play of proportions on Carter. And man that skull, jesus, the drips and the smoke it's all god damn baroque awesomeness.
    Blessed be the elder gods for your artwork man. Always been your biggest fan.

@m3nace <3 Thanks man!!

I played with tilt brush today! It was pretty rad:

5mrxzcoqye0x.gif
    8syl2vzf0nun.gif
    zpvbqvh5jto5.gif
    5qbcdrh1fqdi.gif

It makes me want to get a VR set for home, so I could play with it for a long time. Those things are a bit pricey though. I gotta say, If VR sculpting turns out to be robust, that maybe something I actually want to play around with on the long term.

c1d5zx4v00uc.jpg
    I also made this thing that @Angel_of_Bacon really loved the first time I did it, and way less cartoony in comparison.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

edited April 2017
    :)<3<3<3:) .

Iruka on
    Super cool!!

• LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    that tilt brush stuff looks awesome

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    has anybody ever gotten your stuff as a tattoo? this would make some sick tattoos, like that dream catcher one.

@SeveredHead

I had a few, eons ago, but generally they've been commissions of something specific/not really related to my general body of work. I've always said yes when people ask if they can get something tattooed, but haven't seen any recent follow throughs.

I think I have 4 tattoos based on something I drew out in the wild, if none of them have been removed

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tiltbrush seems like it'd be great for doing 3d model concept art

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I have been trying to put some time into learning how to work with ink. Here's some doodles.

a4yq7wvl40xv.jpg
    fubpovh97t2x.jpg
    pp0q3anknc2f.jpg
    uzxpa0dfegad.jpg
    o8yy78vqcnoo.jpg
    86f0otgr1pva.jpg
    oc9e175unb65.jpg

I made this for a friend but didn't take a proper scan before I sent it off:

Love it! And a wild cat appears!

I really like that knight, could see a mural in that style. Looks pretty slick :o

Trying to spend more time at my computer painting and not just doodling in my sketchbooks. So hopefully I'll be posting some shitty rough paintings while I get warmed up to it again.
    g0az6256g5nj.jpg

that expression is spot on

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Love em, I think the right one's muzzle might be looking a little squishy instead of pulled back though

gorgeous work dude

Thanks man!!

Another sketchbook dump. I've been trying to be way loose and also keep my sketchbook close to me. I bought a bag that fits the recycled moleskines I like perfectly, so I have no excuse not to have one with me. I end up with a bunch of pretty useless pages and rough stuff, but overall Its been rewarding.

4wlarz4qgfbl.jpg

Drawings from my moms house. Tried to keep them short, like 45minutes or so:
    hog9pgs74aet.jpg
    dqmb6qacwymn.jpg

Having mys sketchbook with me means sometimes I draw while relatively plastered. This is from bar hopping a few weekends ago. I was very not sober:
    jw50azm2tudq.jpg
    3p0zeqbwbfol.jpg

Less drunk for these:

iypasjid9fpo.jpg
    bjryzclhozm1.png
    qob5thc4i7vw.jpg
    cu5bijsl4mgd.jpg

1shc72gcu5s0.jpg
    Fucking around with the ink drawings.

• CarnalStateCarnalState Registered User regular
    Loving the first pic of the birdmen. Very Henson-esque. I can see an epic story behind their faces and bodies. Would be rad to see that one in color!

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Aside from how awesome your work is all the time, it's really sweet to see the simple sketches of your mom's house. Your style is so bold and energetic that it's cool to see you do something more serene.

I know it's from a while ago, but something that's kind of lacking in your still life study is some care for the overall value composition. In your creative pieces there is always a nice flow of light and dark throughout, but in this piece it seems like each part was looked into in a way where it lost a sense of one overall whole, lighting-wise. Maybe you had very little control over the actual lighting setup, but it's still something you can make decisions about as you observe.

The four blue dogs are absolutely beautiful <3<3

@lyrium Thanks for the crit! Yeah looking back on it, I made a lot of mistakes. I lit the still life very close since it was all on my desk (that was the easiest way to keep it from the cat). I think in some ways the rough at the top of the page looks better than where I left it, which is somewhere in between not being rendered accurately enough, and overworked. Sometimes its good to experiment, but I dont think its a great image haha. Something to keep in mind the next time I set up a still life, for sure.

Thanks for the compliments on the house sketches! I need to work on making a setting, I'm still new to it, and self conscious about it in a lot of ways.

2vpjzhn5d4zj.jpg
    Quick doodles

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Oh hey I missed those environments! Those are great! Double doggos is cool too, I feel like the middle set of arms could use some more negative space or contrast in there, it feels like that right center paw(from our view) loses a little bit of its form along the top of the knuckles and then as the arm goes back towards the body