As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Magicians] Fem Bot Nick Fury

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Personally, I quit the books after 2 because I don't care to read about a depressed person being depressed

I also stopped after book 2 for pretty much the same reason. I picked up book 3 later... and I'm pretty okay with how the author wrapped things up. It may help that I was much less depressed myself when I read it (a civilian instead, after 11 years active duty).

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    So I binged this this weekend looking for something new to watch on Netflix. It's pretty good. At first, I was trying to get past the hog warts for real vibe it was giving off, but I'd say stick with it. My favorite part of this is that the mythos of the world continually expanded during the first season. Where does the magic come from, etc.

Shallowly, I'm in love with Alice. Can't be helped. And Penny.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ed wrong thread

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Alice is stone cold now

So is Julia

Also, Penny was way too quick to
    sign the next million years of his life away. That seemed like an insane thing to do to get magic back and a small piece of info.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Alice is stone cold now

So is Julia

Also, Penny was way too quick to
    sign the next million years of his life away. That seemed like an insane thing to do to get magic back and a small piece of info.
    You forgot doing it for a girl! That makes it ok, right?

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I read all three of the books and loved them and I'm pretty pleased by the show. Eliot and Margo are a big improvement over their somewhat limited book versions.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Excellent way to make Julia iffy:
    I'm not sure Julia was even wrong, as they were at war and the trees were aiding the enemy and clearly not interested in a peaceful solution. And she's a scapegoat, problem solved. Or if not they didn't have much choice anyway, if they're all dead who cares. But then maybe should have let Elliot take a whack at it. Then after the war burn them down. Of course he had to be awake. But she could have waited a bit more.

Alice is just mostly/totally evil now, no surprise.
    Quientin is a bit stupid for not including "Never put me or anyone else in any form of danger". Would have nipped most everything she did in the bud.

Agreed on Penny. Bit of a leap there, man.

They all still need to get some damn help. No reason they're doing all this themselves.

Xeddicus on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    A million years seems excessive. My response would have been, "Wait, is humankind even going to be around 1 million years from now?"

I'm not sure Julia was even wrong, as they were at war and the trees were aiding the enemy and clearly not interested in a peaceful solution. And she's a scapegoat, problem solved. Or if not they didn't have much choice anyway, if they're all dead who cares. But then maybe should have let Elliot take a whack at it. Then after the war burn them down. Of course he had to be awake. But she could have waited a bit more.

Quientin is a bit stupid for not including "Never put me or anyone else in any form of danger". Would have nipped most everything she did in the bud.

They all still need to get some damn help. No reason they're doing all this themselves.
    I'm pretty sure that is in the wob. The way around this is the old robot law :"or through inaction allow them to be harmed. "I'm not sure niffin Alice is pure malice though. There's definitely been some times where she's at least seemed concerned.

I am not sure how I feel about the shade being responsible for morals. That's the only thing keeping people ethical?still thoroughly enjoy the show and I am even enjoying that Quentin has a new direction to take with his endless depression about not being the chose. One.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure that is in the wob. The way around this is the old robot law :"or through inaction allow them to be harmed. "I'm not sure niffin Alice is pure malice though. There's definitely been some times where she's at least seemed concerned.

I am not sure how I feel about the shade being responsible for morals. That's the only thing keeping people ethical?still thoroughly enjoy the show and I am even enjoying that Quentin has a new direction to take with his endless depression about not being the chose. One.
    If I had to guess she is still trying to find a way to save her brother. I don't think she really cares if she is saved or not but even as a niffin she still is focused on what drove her to brakebills in the first place

Alice:
    Could be, but she may just want to be free. Everything is hinting at that, nothing she's done has really indicated otherwise. She's been playing him the entire time or only concerned when it affected her too and then only for herself. Then, of course, when that goes sideways she's having a nice honest rant and it doesn't include her brother or anything but her getting killed by way of Q dying.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    give no fucks julia is the best julia by far

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Latest episode
    Les Miserable was fucking amazing.

Jragghen wrote: »
    Latest episode

Yeah, that little performance they did was better than it had any right being

Eliot
    can't keep getting away with stuff by getting married, right? Just from the look of his wife's face, I assume that marrying another person just royally screwed him.

ObiFett wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Latest episode

Yeah, that little performance they did was better than it had any right being

Eliot
    can't keep getting away with stuff by getting married, right? Just from the look of his wife's face, I assume that marrying another person just royally screwed him.

I don't think that had any immediate problem other than:
    She's fucked over once again. Pretty much the moment she laid eyes on Eliot what should have been a dream come true is a disturbing one with bright spots, instead.

And then we have Margo fucking that up, even.

Team Fillory is doing a pretty shit job all around.

Quentin

Letting Alice go is pretty in character, but I'm a little surprised she just took off. But then she can do some evil after she pays a visit to the other evil magic spirit. And maybe there's a small part of her left, after all.

Julia:

Has no luck with Reynard. Of course, them all being idiots and getting caught on camera didn't help matters.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Apparently Nate Silver is a magician.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular

A statigician? ;-)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular

so is Fred Flection.

edited March 2017
    Eliot, Margo, and for that matter from their perspective Q, better start getting their shit together.

Fen is going to join the Foo Fighters.

They all should just piss off back to earth (abdicate or something El).

Xeddicus on
    So why couldn't they
    take both shades? I missed something.

And Julia had some feelings there, but I guess her shade was right there too.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised at how much I liked
    the dragon and the underworld

"I'm a fucking dragon"

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So why couldn't they

I'm assuming the shade needs a body to attach to. Since Julia doesn't have a shade, Alice's shade can attach to her body. Julia's shade would have nothing to attach to.

My main question is why Alice's shade was there at all. Is that part of the process of becoming a Niffen is that the body is alive (and pure magic), but the shade (and more) die off? Do the books explain this more?

edited April 2017
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    So why couldn't they

I'm assuming the shade needs a body to attach to. Since Julia doesn't have a shade, Alice's shade can attach to her body. Julia's shade would have nothing to attach to.

My main question is why Alice's shade was there at all. Is that part of the process of becoming a Niffen is that the body is alive (and pure magic), but the shade (and more) die off? Do the books explain this more?

uhhh,
    I thought Julia was doing that in order to somehow save Alice

If Julia takes on Alice's shade, then does that mean that Q is gonna fall in love with Julia?

That's gonna get kind of awkward

ObiFett on
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    So why couldn't they

Just from what I've picked up watching the show:
    The shade is the part that controls your conscience, and every niffen has demonstrably lacked that, like Alice's brother, in every respect acting the same way Julia did without a shade. They also describe the process of becoming a niffen as burning away who you were. So while I didn't expect for them to find Alice's shade there, when they did it made sense to me.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

"I'm a fucking dragon"

You need the full quote.
    “You have 24 hours to return to the portal.”
    “Or…”
    “I sit patiently, waiting for you to come back. No, I eat you, I’m a fucking dragon, what do you expect?”

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    The
    dragon
    looked pretty good too. Or at least not bad in anyway that I noticed. Wonder if that blew the budget for the rest of the season.

• scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

"I'm a fucking dragon"

You need the full quote.
    “Or…”
    “I sit patiently, waiting for you to come back. No, I eat you, I’m a fucking dragon, what do you expect?”
    lwt1973 wrote: »

"I'm a fucking dragon"

You need the full quote.
    “Or…”

also
    fucking millenials

Just got caught up again. I loved the bowling alley.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    you gave our only means of travel to fillory to fucking trogdor

obF2Wuw.png
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    you gave our only means of travel to fillory to fucking trogdor

You can't argue with all those consumate v's

So Julia:
    So should have shot him dead. It's not worth her shade. Kady was right. It's pure luck her shade turned up. Where the fuck was his Mother? Shoot her too just to be safe...OK, not really,
    but Reynard the Fox should be dead.

Book Julia spoilers/question:
    She never got her shade back in the book, did she? Am I forgetting? Makes me think something is about to go sideways on the show, but maybe it's a change to give her some points in the win column for once.

So Julia:
    So should have shot him dead. It's not worth her shade. Kady was right. It's pure luck her shade turned up. Where the fuck was his Mother? Shoot her too just to be safe...OK, not really,

It should've been like this:
    Persephone: [Julia is about to shoot Reynard] Julia! Four or five moments.
    Julia: Sorry?
    Persephone: Four or five moments - that's all it takes to become a hero. Everyone thinks it's a full-time job. Wake up a hero. Brush your teeth a hero. Go to work a hero. Not true. Over a lifetime there are only four or five moments that really matter. Moments when you're offered a choice to make a sacrifice, conquer a flaw, save a friend - spare an enemy. In these moments everything else falls away...
    [Julia shoots Reynard in the head, killing him]
    Persephone: Really? Was that necessary?
    Julia: You were droning on.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    One possible upside for her not shooting is she now has one god killing bullet and fillory is having a problem with one god about to turn over the table and possibly destroy it and magic along with it. Seems they potentially have a more valid use for the tool.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So Julia:
    Especially given you know what's going to happen a couple hundred years down the line when Persephone gets bored and leaves him again.

The same fucking thing

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    So Julia:

Book Julia spoilers/question:
    She never got her shade back in the book, did she? Am I forgetting? Makes me think something is about to go sideways on the show, but maybe it's a change to give her some points in the win column for once.

The concept of shades is, I think, not in the books.

Book 2 spoilers
    In the book, Julia's rape leaves her acting much like she does in the show while shadeless--a flat affect, inscrutably unconnected to others. This is some combination of the trauma of the event (not just the rape, but also the violent murder of the only people in the world she gave a damn about) and the magical effects of having sex with a god. In the show Julia just gets a temporary power boost from her contact with god-semen; in the novel the contact essentially turns her into something different.

It's not until the end of the novel that Julia realizes she's become a kind of demi-god, and that the place she's been looking for her waits on the other side of Fillory, where she will basically be a nature (demi-)goddess.

So the books, with Julia and other characters, strongly suggest that the terrible things that happen to us in life (and for that matter, the terrible things we do) can't really be reversed, but also don't have to define us. Growing up is partly about recognizing that fact and learning how to move on without negating your past.

--

In other news I think I finally liked an episode? This hasn't happened in ages. It still had problems but it managed to engage some of the books' key themes with real meaning, directness, and imagination. Should make for an interesting departure in this week's episode of my podcast from the last few mostly rant-filled ones.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    WELP

That was a finale

Did not see that coming with Ember and Umber and I love the idea of gods above gods potentially going forever. The plumber turning off magic was a logical consequence to gods being killed.

Why are the Faeries knocking on the the doors of Whitespire?

I wonder if Julia doing magic has anything to do with her gift from Our Lady or her run ins with various Gods in general. Maybe she became a demi-god of sorts?

They didn't show what happened to Penny! Either when magic was turned off, so did his magical cancer OR they lacked the ability to heal him and he's dead?!

I hope they all realize the problem here is:
    The fucking Gods and not the mortals. The mortals were screwed no matter what. They don't kill Ember and Umber: Fillory and magic is destroyed. They do kill them: This happens.

This is actually the better outcome.

Kill all Gods.

The season premiere is tonight. I've missed Eliot.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Haven't really been liking the series, too CW. I loved the books, me and the wife did them in Audio Book format over a period of some long drives between Calgary and Vancouver. While I like they are changing stuff other than Elliot and Janet/Margo I think the casting is shit and I am likely not going to keep watching it (still working on season one)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Haven't really been liking the series, too CW. I loved the books, me and the wife did them in Audio Book format over a period of some long drives between Calgary and Vancouver. While I like they are changing stuff other than Elliot and Janet/Margo I think the casting is shit and I am likely not going to keep watching it (still working on season one)

I hated the acting/cast for the first probably half or more of season 1. I feel like they came into their own towards the end of the first season and the second was much better.