As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario Kart 8: New Engine Class...WAY TOO FAST

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I propose we celebrate with a Battle Mode tournament on Sunday following the release.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    I propose we celebrate with a Battle Mode tournament on Sunday following the release.

I don't know, I don't really wanna sour you guys on the game right on the first weekend by kicking your asses that badly.

OH SNAP IT'S ON NOW

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    After missing auto-drift from Mario Kart Wii, I'm happy to see a steering assist option. The person I most often play locally with is partially sighted and had a difficult time with 8 -- I'm hoping this will let her enjoy the game as much as she wanted to.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh god I just thought that the "sterring assist" will be perfect for my daughter.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, my younger two love to play but can never finish a course without help.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    This is the last Mario Kart I'll ever need. <3

Next logical step: Super Smash Kart

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    so glad for this trailer, I forgot about all the new stuff and there's even more than I'd ever heard about

gonna be playing it so much. I physically had trouble playing mk on every portable console since gba so this is just... oh my.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Hopefully it'll get the same multiplayer treatment as Splatoon and support LAN with spectators and local wifi network multi.

Also, I'm reminded now that I lost my MK8 save and unlocks when my external WiiU storage died. Ugh.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    This is the last Mario Kart I'll ever need. <3

Next logical step: Super Smash Kart

With Smash Battle. The more damage your kart takes the further you fly when hit, until you fly clear off the battle course!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I do wonder where Mario Kart can go from here. Honestly, they can just keep releasing new characters/tracks until the end of the Switch Generation.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    I do wonder where Mario Kart can go from here. Honestly, they can just keep releasing new characters/tracks until the end of the Switch Generation.

250cc
    300cc
    F-zero-cc

But yeah, if they've got a good engine, just make like a yearly track/character pack to keep it fresh.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    Do we wanna see a rebirth of the tournaments?

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • Options
    Raziel_pm wrote: »
    Do we wanna see a rebirth of the tournaments?

Oh yeah! But I assume Battle Mode will actually be worth playing this time around, so maybe alternate race and Battle Mode week to week?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm concerned about how many players we'll have if the game is priced at $59.99 like mentioned in the Switch thread. I'm certainly iffy on buying it now. It's not like my Wii U stopped working and I paid full price there + bought all the DLC already.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I miiight pick up a Switch for more MK, but it's a big might, depends how things are going.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Gamespot have two new videos showing off-screen gameplay from the Coin Runners and Shine Thief multiplayer modes.

Coin Runners:
    https://youtu.be/dflrgpeplwY

Shine Thief:
    https://youtu.be/Q67oVL-NRC0

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Also, looks like you can change characters and karts from the online lobby now

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ooo, I like the look of Shine Thief. Reminds me of the King of the Hill gametype from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4.

Conn on
    XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    So GameExplain has pretty decent coverage. I learned there is now a pink spark, which is basically like the other spark boosts but you hold it even longer.

Also, fire hopping is gone too. The era of the sport bike begins!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Praise Shiggy no more fire hopping! Maybe online matches will actually be enjoyable again.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Not quite ready to drop $60 on Mario Kart 8 again but I'll probably start up a Gamefly free trial (or discounted 3-month period) and rent the game just to see how well the new boosting works and how it looks in 1080p.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    I'd be down for a battle mode tourney the Sunday following release, but unfortunately I'll be on vacation somewhere without internet access. I'll be game for future PA tournaments and shenanigans though.

Super hyped for this one. I didn't play as much of MK8 as I should have, so this is almost a new game for me in a lot of ways.

• Options
    I must have played 100+ hours of the original. Still, this is going to be a day 1 purchase for me and I'm ready to sink another 100+ hours.

• Options
    I am 100% ready for MK8D. Inject it in my eyeballs.

Little disappointed though I'm hearing you can't share replays to YouTube in this version.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I am 100% ready for MK8D. Inject it in my eyeballs.

Little disappointed though I'm hearing you can't share replays to YouTube in this version.

Well, once they allow video recording that should help.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Not quite ready to drop $60 on Mario Kart 8 again but I'll probably start up a Gamefly free trial (or discounted 3-month period) and rent the game just to see how well the new boosting works and how it looks in 1080p.

$47.99 with Amazon Prime when I pre-ordered.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I was pretty hard on not getting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe back when it was announced and Battle Mode seemed to be the only new thing. I'm a little more tempted with lower load times and other small niceties, but as much as I'd like to Kart with y'all, I think I'll probably continue to resist. I'll probably be too busy Puyo Puyo Tetrising (and failing at it) in the meantime... but still, ooh. So tempting.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So with this new version, if my boyfriend and I each had our own switch, we could finally play 2 player mario kart without having to look at a split screen? And also play online against other people this way?

• Options
    On the former I think that's a definite yes, but on the latter not so sure that's been answered?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Plus, if you've got the Wii U version you can sell it direct to Amazon for another $24 bucks off or so.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Plus, if you've got the Wii U version you can sell it direct to Amazon for another $24 bucks off or so.

Pssh selling your games!

• Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    How did you guys end up feeling about 200cc? I really liked it, but not sure it should replace 150cc as the default. In Deluxe, you can do time trials in 200cc which makes me happy.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    On the former I think that's a definite yes, but on the latter not so sure that's been answered?

I don't see why not. Could you not party up online before?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    200cc is a blast but it's non-traditional I would say, and the fact the game wasn't designed around it shows.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Instead of nail-biters, it's more like "holy crap I just flew off the corner and halfway across the course". At least that's how I felt. Some of the snaking corners feel impossible to do.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

Well we just had the one Wii U, and it annoyed the both of us that one of us couldn't use the tv and the other have their own display on the gamepad.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    200cc is a blast but it's non-traditional I would say, and the fact the game wasn't designed around it shows.

Yeah, it was fun occasionally but I wouldn't wanna play it exclusively.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

Well we just had the one Wii U, and it annoyed the both of us that one of us couldn't use the tv and the other have their own display on the gamepad.

No Wii U game ever let you do that, though. That's a totally different thing.

What I'm saying is if you can party up online, the fact that your two Switches are beside each other or halfway across the country doesn't make a difference.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
This discussion has been closed.