As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Completely unprepared for [chat]

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    bowen wrote: »
    Also it probably wouldn't necessarily be a problem in re: non classic trilogy star wars and marvel movies if it wasn't a bimonthly chat topic about how they're all bad and dumb and you shouldn't like them and you should feel bad about it.

Also the classic trilogy is boring and bad, really, like have you rewatched it recently? Rose goggles like fuck. Watch darth and obi wan laser sword fight bro, looks like they're really old dudes who can barely stand up for more than 5 minutes trying to fence.

i mean, the vast majority of people (both in the larger population and on nerd forums) still love those things. some people don't, it's alright. there are plenty of things people here like and disilike. i don't buy nerd IPs being like, inviolable just because the criticism tickles the wrong spot.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    *types in dominos.com*

*sweats*

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I didn't see Incredibles mentioned earlier. That holds up decently.

i didn't know you loved Ayn Rand and wanted to see poor people dying in the streets you fucking monster

hey just cuz the bad guys win doesn't make it a bad movie

it's actually quite refreshing!

are you saying that the protagonists of the Incredibles are actually the villains, here

I'm with Shark on this one. Syndrome totally had a point, and the whole superhero thing is kinda fucked when you mesh it up with the real world.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Non-spoiler-y "Your Name" review:

I saw "Your Name" last night. It will probably be the romantic piece of media I'll see all year ("San Junipero", an episode of Black Mirror Season 3, was last year's for comparison). It's hard to describe "Your Name" without going into spoilers. "Your Name" is an anime high school love story involving a guy, a girl, and a comet. It involves some magical elements, but it's more of grounded modern magical realism than Harry Potter. The setting is fairly important, as the world is very much 201X Japan... all of the kids have smartphones, even out in the country.

At the very basic level, the story is about cultivating a long-distance relationship and falling in love with someone you've never met. It's so much more than that based on context and the magic, much like the movie "Arrival" is so much more than a First Contact movie with aliens. And like the movie "Arrival", I recommend that the less you know about the movie, the better the overall experience will be when you watch "Your Name".

One of the things that I appreciated was the use of the words "I love you". It's not casually used, and I always love it when romantic stories use it in an effective and novel way in the climax of the movie (such as this one). I won't lie, I started crying because it was so poignant and lovely.

The attention to detail in the animation is amazing. In particular, I paid attention to the characters' body language and how they interacted with the world, and there's a big incentive to do so.

I have a couple of complaints, but they are relatively minor, and in no way does it reduce my enjoyment of this movie. The introduction montage anime sequence set to J-Pop Rock makes the movie feel more like an anime TV show (which often has this kind of introduction) and seemed like a chintzy piece of flair in an otherwise artful film. This is in contrast to its actual use of montage in the plot (which is used a couple of times, and both times it is used effectively, akin to the closing montage in "La La Land").

I also would have liked to see more background information about Taki, the boy. We see that he's in a single family household and a latchkey kid, and this is a point which he shares with Mitsuha, the girl. But a lot more time and emphasis is spent on Mitsuha's life and town, a quiet provincial village in the country. I would have liked to have seen more glimpses into Taki's day-to-day life, but it makes sense from the plot why you would follow Mitsuha's life instead of Taki's.

Aside from a few oblique references to gender and sexuality (which are extremely mild and played for laughs), this movie is entirely appropriate for all ages. I look forward to seeing the dubbed version, but the subtitled Japanese version was an excellent translation overall.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    look say what you want about Rogue One but they get Darth Vader from the Rebel's POV

Just like Disney gets OT obi wan (rebels spoilers)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Also it probably wouldn't necessarily be a problem in re: non classic trilogy star wars and marvel movies if it wasn't a bimonthly chat topic about how they're all bad and dumb and you shouldn't like them and you should feel bad about it.

Also the classic trilogy is boring and bad, really, like have you rewatched it recently? Rose goggles like fuck. Watch darth and obi wan laser sword fight bro, looks like they're really old dudes who can barely stand up for more than 5 minutes trying to fence.

i mean, the vast majority of people (both in the larger population and on nerd forums) still love those things. some people don't, it's alright. there are plenty of things people here like and disilike. i don't buy nerd IPs being like, inviolable just because the criticism tickles the wrong spot.

I will not hear any more naysaying about my opinions chubert.

I have binders full of hot takes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Wait the associated video game? Are we talking the SNES ones? Cuz I don't believe anyone ever made it past level two of those legit back in the day.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Agents of Shield is really damn good lately. And, politically, they even slipped in last episode
    a character saying "nevertheless, she persisted."

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    17952555_10101205075890466_5920441513065479654_n.jpg?oh=1a2d37bb1060d9429428560c29ffaf9d&oe=597A156D

Holy shit this is great.

- a brass frame percussion revolver
    - a .25acp made from pot metal that was frequently known to accidentally fire or blow up
    - 2 bags of garbage weed

whoever this person is, I want to know them.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The Ewoks cuteness makes RotJ pretty good in total.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Attack of the Clones does not have a driving narrative. The protagonists travel around watching and reacting to decisions that have already been made.

It is one of the dumbest most plotless movies I've ever seen.

The fucking title doesn't even make sense!

It could be skipped entirely and nothing would be lost.

yeah

but hear me out

crazy flipping yoda lightsaber fights

Ruins literally everything Yoda teaches Luke.
    Yoda was fighting the Sith, and he was getting a little bit of the space senility then.

Put him away from other people with only force communication with the dead to keep him company, and he's going to be really fucken crazy at that point.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Agents of Shield is really damn good lately. And, politically, they even slipped in last episode
    a character saying "nevertheless, she persisted."

they also had a
    Hydra - "make the world great again"

override367 on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I am so often very easy to please with big genre blockbuster films so in a weird fuckin way I like that I don't like Rogue One. It's mostly depressing that I don't like it but I do kinda like that SG is just fucking lost over it

Ludious on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Attack of the Clones does not have a driving narrative. The protagonists travel around watching and reacting to decisions that have already been made.

It is one of the dumbest most plotless movies I've ever seen.

The fucking title doesn't even make sense!

It could be skipped entirely and nothing would be lost.

Phantom Menace was also really aimless as well.

Phantom menace for it's flaws, feels the most like a "star wars" movie of all the PT.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    17952555_10101205075890466_5920441513065479654_n.jpg?oh=1a2d37bb1060d9429428560c29ffaf9d&oe=597A156D

I have no idea what that revolver is

Some old blackpowder piece? It's gigantic

@amateurhour

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

i didn't know you loved Ayn Rand and wanted to see poor people dying in the streets you fucking monster

are you saying that the protagonists of the Incredibles are actually the villains, here

Oh yes let's all propose our tortured make u think theories about movies where the villain is actually the hero.

Let me start, I'll go first. So in Django Unchained, at first you THINK DiCaprio is...

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Wait...What the fuck is that clip too? They must have missed a gun.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I still think that there should be a Star Wars/Indiana Jones crossover.

And not that dumb one shot comic where Han crashes on earth and Indy finds his corpse.

I want to see Indy take a ride on the Millennium Falcon while someone cracks a joke about how he reminds everyone of the old pilot, and meanwhile Short Round copilots with Rey.

• Options
    I noticed the PNW is lacking in good local pizza joints.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    What I wouldn't give to have some random aliens/demons/whatever get merced by Jessica Jones in a marvel film

like doctor strange is in a wizard battle and she just throws a dumpster at the bad wizard

and god fucking damnit Phil Coulson needs to show up for the next Avengers movie

superhero films and television are these weird executive pissing contests

DC is even worse than Marvel about this

the following things actually happened:

- Arrow was gonna have Nightwing on it, but then Gotham was in development and DC said no (even tho Dick Grayson is, objectively, too young to appear in Gotham and probably isn't even born yet)
    - Arrow did feature a brief cameo by Harley Quinn, and was told to never again do that or reference it by DC, because Gotham and also the Suicide Squad movie was in development
    - Arrow had to kill off their versions of Deadshot and Amanda Waller, because those characters were appearing in Suicide Squad
    - Supergirl wasn't allowed to show Superman directly in their first season (he could appear off-screen, out of focus, and be obliquely referenced) until Superman died in BvS, at which point the character was "free" to appear in Supergirl season 2
    - DC TV shows aren't allowed to use Green Lantern, because DC is still embarrassed by how bad the Ryan Reynolds movie was
    - Flash was very nearly cancelled before it aired because BvS and the Justice League movie were gonna use him. They managed to squeak this one by because DC had already invested money in the pilot for Flash the TV show.

apparently the folks at Time Warner and DC think audiences are morons and can't handle two people playing the same character in different universes

...yep

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

becoming a 19th century bush ranger is appealing to me, wear period dress and carry a black powder fowling piece

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

look I've given this 0 thought but yes that's what I'm saying

one guy wants everyone to be super

the others want to stop him and preserve their elite status that they've only earned by happenstance

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

amateurhour

yeah it's a civil war era percussion revolver. You had to load powder, shot, wad, and grease in each chamber, and individually cap all six chambers with a percussion cap.

officer's weapon.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I am so often very easy to please with big genre blockbuster films so in a weird fuckin way I like that I don't like Rogue One. It's mostly depressing that I don't like it but I do kinda like that SG is just fucking lost over it

Yeah but how do you feel about the new Ghost Busters.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

amateurhour

yeah it's a civil war era percussion revolver. You had to load powder, shot, wad, and grease in each chamber, and individually cap all six chambers with a percussion cap.

officer's weapon.

Guy selling it on the street: "That's a .44"

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

You know, I'd have a lot of questions for whoever it was that owned one of those guns.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

Yeah but how do you feel about the new Ghost Busters.

It was great! B+. I want sequels

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I'm fine with big blockbusters, I generally like them. More and more these days they're feeling so rote and by the numbers. I love when something like Deadpool or Guardians of the Galaxy is just kind of weird and breezy. But eventually that too will be overdone or by the numbers.

I'm reading these Chuck Klosterman questions. I should ask more people shit like this.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Also I feel like a lot of you are forgetting how absolutely shitty action movies looked in the 70s. It's kind of mind blowing a new hope holds up at all, let alone well.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Crazy. I've had a running joke with my partner at work about some dealer with like, a MG42 guarding his weed stash, or knocking over a liquor store with a Mosin

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Pulls it out to knock over a liquor store and it's like the Joker pants-gun scene from the first Batman movie.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Uhh magazine

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    look say what you want about Rogue One but they get Darth Vader from the Rebel's POV

Just like Disney gets OT obi wan (rebels spoilers)

someone's been watching kurosawa

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Oh yes let's all propose our tortured make u think theories about movies where the villain is actually the hero.

Let me start, I'll go first. So in Django Unchained, at first you THINK DiCaprio is...

in Jaws the shark was framed by a convincing mechanical replica just so the protagonist could have an excuse to go shark hunting

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Holy shit this is great.

- a brass frame percussion revolver
    - a .25acp made from pot metal that was frequently known to accidentally fire or blow up
    - 2 bags of garbage weed

whoever this person is, I want to know them.

teehee

• Options
    It is so fuckin' weird taking college classes with 18-19 year olds when you are 29. Like... wow. perspectives man.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    What if that guy was your dealer

• Options
    Elki wrote: »

You know, I'd have a lot of questions for whoever it was that owned one of those guns.
    That clip doesn't belong to any of those guns.

Who just has a random clip full of bullets and no gun for it?

Chicago just doesn't make any sense some times.

• Options
    Crazy. I've had a running joke with my partner at work about some dealer with like, a MG42 guarding his weed stash, or knocking over a liquor store with a Mosin

Most of what the police confiscate are unregistered hi-points and old 22 bolt actions (kids take them from grandparents house)

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think Rogue One is fine and shows another side of the SW universe. Problem is most folks go to SW for the heroes journey. Which in a way kind of doomed the prequels as well since the bad guy has to win in the end for the OT to occur.

And when it comes to putting the heroes journey on screen though the OT is pretty much in my mind the textbook go to.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.