As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PBP] Recruitment: Mutant Year Zero

NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
6232707_orig.png
The world ended before you were ever born. Humanity as it once existed is pretty much gone. Only the Elder is left here in the Ark, the only human among all of you. Among the Mutants.The Elder says you are Humanities heirs, able to survive in the ruins they left for you. Strong enough to thrive despite the Rot, twisted enough to fight off the beasts and the Zone Ghouls. Blessed with bizarre powers that will let you survive out here in the Zone.

But surviving won’t be easy. The People are dying. The Elder and the others raised you but now the Elder is the only one left and he’s not doing too well. No one will take care of you now and the stored food is running out. You’ll need to leave the Ark behind and find supplies, rediscover technology, meet allies, and hopefully find out why none of The People has ever had a child. It’s going to be tough, humanity left you one shit of a world but it’s your only chance.

Mutant: Year Zero

Mutant: Year Zero (MY0) is a Swedish RPG recently updated and translated to English. As the name suggests you will play Mutants, people blessed or cursed with strange abilities and deformities.The game takes place after an apocalypse, though your characters don’t know exactly what happened things are pretty fucked now. You were raised by a group of unmutated humans here in the Ark, but only a single one, the Elder, is left. Besides the Elder everyone else in the Ark is a young adult of about 20 plus or minus a few years. The Ark has been your sanctuary against the wider world, and only a few of the inhabitants have ever left it. That’s going to have to change.

The game is about community, survival, and exploration. Characters aren’t wandering adventurers but rooted in their community. Building a windmill can be a bigger accomplishment than killing a monstrous mutated bear. While the setting is harsh there is hope in it. You can find out what happened in the past and build a new future for yourselves. You also can slowly die of dehydration as your home descends into cannibalism, so be careful.

The setting takes a lot of cues from Fallout or Gamma World. The apocalypse happened in the near future to a society whose technology isn’t that different than our own. This isn’t hard science fiction by any means though, mutated animals and humans can do things like breathe fire and read minds. Inside the ark technology is cruder. There are single shot scrap guns, spears, and some canned food. The recovery of artifacts and building new infrastructure is an important part of the game.

The System

A free starter booklet is available to get a grasp of the system if you don’t have the book. It’s a dicepool system where 6’s are successes. Your dicepool is made up of your characters ability, skill, and equipment. There is also a mechanic to allow you to re-roll your dice at a cost, any ones you roll with your ability and equipment dice will result in damage or equipment degradation. You don’t need to buy the main rulebook if you want to play, but you should read the rule section in the starter booklet starting on page 49, though I’ll also explain the rules here and go into more detail as things come up.

A note on the dice. MY0 uses special dice that come in three colors. Since that won’t be practical for us you can roll with Geth by asking him to roll xd6+yd6+zd6. We’ll always roll in order of attribute, skill, equipment.

The game takes place in two main phases. There is an Ark Phase where as players you will make decisions for the Ark itself about what projects to pursue and what your characters do during downtime. This are things like building a farm or some better walls. After this the game transitions to an open world hexcrawl. You’ll be able to travel and explore the zone, search for artifacts, food, and other survivors.

The Zone is a dangerous place. Between monsters, the Rot, other survivors, and your own mutant powers you may not be long for this world. If your character dies they’re dead, but you’ll be able to make a new character. On the other hand if you’re careful, smart, and lucky you can make it out in one piece.

Character Creation
If you are interested in playing and you have the book you can create a character as normal, with one little exception below. If you do not have the book then you can use the rules in the starter booklet to create a character. If you want to play a different class than the ones in the starter booklet or have a different starting talent let me know and I’ll guide you through that process.

The first step is choosing a role, this is like a class. Each role has access to unique talents, a set of starting equipment, a key attribute and a class skill. The eight roles are Enforcer, Gearhead, Stalker, Fixer, Dog Handler, Chronicler, Boss, and Slave. The first four roles are available in the starter booklet, but if you are interested in one of the other four and you don’t have the rule book that will be fine.

Next distribute 14 points across the four attributes, Strength, Agility, Wits, and Empathy. You have to have at least 2 points in each attribute and no more than 4 points in any attribute. The exception is your roles key attribute which can be five.

After that you can distribute 10 points across the skills. You can have up to five points in any given skill. Each Skill is also linked to an attribute. When you use a skill you roll 1d6 for each point in the skill, for each point in it’s linked attribute, and for any equipment bonus that you have. The skills are: Endure (Strength), Force (Strength), Fight (Strength), Sneak (Agility), Move (Agility), Shoot (Agility), Scout (Wits), Comprehend (Wits), Know the Zone (Wits), Sense Emotion (Empathy), Manipulate (Empathy), Heal (Empathy). In addition each class has it’s own unique skill like Find the Path for Stalkers.

Finally you choose a Talent, each playbook has three options for talents and I’ll cover those once you get to that step.

Mutations are another important part of your character. Your mutation isn’t something you chose, and as such it’s not something you choose as a player either. The default in the book is to roll for your mutation after creating your character, but I’ll make a small exception here and allow you to roll for your mutation before you create your character if you would like. Roll two d6’s and I’ll let you know what mutation you have. While you start out with just one mutation you will gain more as we play the game.

After we create the Ark you can choose your characters relationships with NPCs and PCs, a Big Dream, buy any equipment you want with your starting bullets, and describe your Den within the Ark.

The Ark and the Zone
The Ark is the only home you’ve ever known, and it’s your safety in the danger of the zone. After you all create your characters we can pick which of the two Zones you want to start in, the ruins of New York or London. Then you can pick where you want the Ark to be and design it. It could be an old hospital, a beached ship, a mall, or anything else. It will take up one square on the map and be the safest place in the Zone, for now at least The Ark is yours to design and populate with NPCs, both rivals and friends. You get to choose where the Ark will be located. Some place towards the middle is probably best. The Ark should have a source of water, an old well, a purification device, rain collectors, or something similar. If someone with artistic talent wants to volunteer to draw a rough map of the Ark that would be appreciated.

You then can choose the exact starting population, this should be around 200 mutants. No children are born in the Ark, and thanks to disease, violence, and the spectre of starvation this number will go down before it goes up.

Finally the Ark also has stats, as a group you’ll distribute 12 points among four attributes, called Development Levels. These are food supply, culture, technology, and warfare. You’ll be able to raise these values by completing projects and finding Artifacts.

While the Ark is known to you and safe the Zone on the other hand is a mystery. Any time you leave the Ark is dangerous, but potentially very rewarding. Here is where you’ll fight irradiated monsters, meet new, interesting, and dangerous people, find relics of the past, and get exposed to the ever present Rot. You can also find answers to the questions the Elder refuses to tell you. What was the world like before? What happened? Where did you come from? Is the fabled Eden, a place of sanctuary, real?

Who are you
If you are interesting in playing sign up here. I’m hoping for 3-6 players. You can either post a character concept or roll 2d6 and I’ll let you know what your mutation is. Once we get our brave band together it will be time to start exploring the Zone.

Good luck Mutants, you’ll need it.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    !Sign Up

Never seen this before but it looks fun... I guess I roll for my mutation first?

Geth roll 2d6 for first mutation!

first mutation!:
    2d6 12 [2d6=6, 6]

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, you can either roll your muation first or pick a playbook first. My idea was just since some of the mutations naturally suggest certain playbooks to allow for that. Unfortunately a 52+ on the table is a reroll, so let's see what Geth has in store for you.
    Geth, roll 2d6 for mutation reroll

mutation reroll:
    2d6 8 [2d6=5, 3]

Neaden on
    edited April 2017
    Which is also a reroll. Well I'm sure this time it will work, right?
    Geth, roll 2d6 for mutation reroll reroll.

And we get a value that we can use. Your mutant has Insect Wings. You have fully grown butterfly or fly wings that you can use to fly. By spending one Mutant Point you can fly for 100 feet before landing, or fly to an enemy a Short distance away and immediately make a melee attack on them. You can also make a loud buzzing sound that drives people up the walls. Doing one point of Doubt (Damage against Wits) to however many people as you spend MP for. So spend 3 MP to drive 3 people bonkers.

mutation reroll reroll:
    2d6 7 [2d6=2, 5]

Neaden on
    edited April 2017
    Great! So does that mean I'm automatically a Gearhead (for whom the quickstart guide has Insect Wings as an option)?

El Skid on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm down. Stalker seems interesting to me.

Geth roll 2d6 for Mutant Powers!

Mutant Powers!:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

edited April 2017
    Alright, here goes!

Name: Veritas
    Role: Gearhead

Appearance:
    Face: Goggles
    Body: Midget
    Clothes: Dirty Lab Coat
    **Butterfly wings**

Stats:
    Strength: 3
    Agility: 4
    Wits: 5
    Empathy: 2

Skills:

Shoot (Agi): 3
    Jury Rig (Wits): 3
    Know the Zone (Wits): 1
    Comprehend (Wits): 2
    Sense Emotion (Empathy): 1

Talent: Gadgeteer: Gain +2 modification when trying to Comprehend an artifact from the Old Age

Mutations:

- Butterfly Wings: You have fully grown butterfly or fly wings that you can use to fly. By spending one Mutant Point you can fly for 100 feet before landing, or fly to an enemy a Short distance away and immediately make a melee attack on them. You can also make a loud buzzing sound that drives people up the walls. Doing one point of Doubt (Damage against Wits) to however many people as you spend MP for. So spend 3 MP to drive 3 people bonkers.

Relationships to other PCs: TBD

Relationships to NPCs:

Fixer Jonsey broke his word to me. He is dead to me.
    Stalker Yassan has found much for the Ark in the zone, He would trust him with my life.

Gear:

8 Bullets
    1 Grub
    5 Water

Artifacts: Umbrella (3 protection vs rot in zone)

Weapons:
    Scrap Pistol

Encumbrance: 2.5(?) / 6

Backstory:
    Veritas? Oh yeah, she's brilliant. She seems to just...get old world tech, and she's really a wiz at jury rigging random things together into working stuff- even if it ends up lookin' a bit funny.

The thing is though...she's a bit touchy. Not touchy feely kinda touchy. More like... Don't screw around with her. She's always 100% straight with everyone, and expects the same right back. If you screw around with her, just don't expect much in the way of second chances. She's a really nice girl and she's helpful as anything. But gettin' back into her good graces after you been on her bad side is somethin' only a couple of us have done.

Oh, and I wouldn't comment too much on the way she looks. At least not in front of her. No compliments, no making fun... just trust me on this.

Geth roll 2d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 for bullets, grub, water

bullets, grub, water:
    2d6 8 [2d6=3, 5]

El Skid on
    That roll didn't quite work.

Geth roll 1d6 for grub
    Geth roll 1d6 for water

grub:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]
    water:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Oh man, Fallout/Mad Max are pretty much my favorite settings for anything. I'm a bit rusty, but I'd like to sign up.

I'm at work but I'll try to read through the starter book and get something put up as soon as I can.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    El Skid wrote: »
    Great! So does that mean I'm automatically a Gearhead (for whom the quickstart guide has Insect Wings as an option)?

Ah no sorry. The mutations in the quick start are just examples, any playbook can have any mutation. No problem with being a Gearhead if that's what you want, the character you've made looks good.
    I'm down. Stalker seems interesting to me.

Geth roll 2d6 for Mutant Powers!
    You also got a reroll, which Geth seems to love so in the interest of time I'll just reverse from a 61 to a 16. You have four arms. You can fight in melee twice in a row by spending an MP, or defend against multiple melee attackers. It's also an asset in climbing, you can spend one MP to automatically succeed in climbing rather then roll Move.

Mutant Powers!:
    2d6 9 [2d6=3, 6]

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Okay I perused the book. I usually gravitate towards enforcer type characters so I think I'll switch it up with a Fixer.

Geth roll 2d6 for Fixer Mutation

Fixer Mutation:
    2d6 5 [2d6=3, 2]

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm interested! I don't have the book but Chronicler sounds rad to me.

Geth roll 2d6 for Chronicler mutation

Chronicler mutation:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

That's a reroll,

Geth roll 2d6 for Chronicler reroll

Chronicler reroll:
    2d6 10 [2d6=4, 6]

There we go.

Oh I just realized in the starter book it uses a 1d6 for mutations on the player sheet. Should I reroll that?

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Okay I perused the book. I usually gravitate towards enforcer type characters so I think I'll switch it up with a Fixer.

Geth roll 2d6 for Fixer Mutation
    The quickstart just has a reduced number of Mutations compared to the main book. We'll be using the full list so you can just ignore the mutations given in the quickstart. A roll of 32 is Mind Terror. You can create vivid hallucinations in others minds at Near range. You can use these to inflict a point of Confusion or Doubt per MP spent. You can also confuse people by spending one MP per person to make them lose their next action; Finally, you can also spend 2 points of MP to create an illusion that the victim will believe is real which they will react to accordingly.
    admanb wrote: »
    That's a reroll,

Geth roll 2d6 for Chronicler reroll
    A roll of 46 is Telepethy You can spend a point of MP to find out if someone is lying, what they are thinking, or if they are hiding something. You can also spend an MP to plant a simple thought in someone's mind. Finally, you can cause a point Confusion in someone's mind per MP you spend.

Also @El Skid I realized that as a Gearhead you also start with an Artifact. You can roll 3d6 to find out what it is!

Chronicler reroll:
    2d6 6 [2d6=5, 1]

edited April 2017
    Name: Helda West
    Role: Stalker
    Strength 4
    Damage [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Agility 5
    Fatigue [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Wits 3
    Confusion [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Empathy 2
    Doubt [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Conditions
    Starving [ ] Dehydrated [ ]
    Sleepless [ ] Hypothermic [ ]

Endure (Strength):
    Force (Strength): 1
    Fight (Strength):
    Sneak (Agility): 3
    Move (Agility):
    Shoot (Agility): 3
    Scout (Wits):
    Comprehend (Wits):
    Know the Zone (Wits):
    Sense Emotion (Empathy):
    Manipulate (Empathy):
    Heal (Empathy):
    Find the Path (Agility): 3

Talent:
    Combat Veteran

PC Relationship
    …… walked with you in the Zone and lived.
    …… is a pompous idiot. If he gets in your way, he’s
    going down.
    …… might actually understand you. Do you dare to open up?
    …… is a danger to everyone. Keep your distance

NPCs Relationship

Gear:
    Scrap Rifle
    Bonus: +1 Damage: 2 Range: Long Comment: Jury-Rigged
    Bullets: 6
    Grub: 6
    Water: 4
    Gear Roll
    Geth roll 1d6 for Bullets
    Geth roll 1d6 for Grub
    Geth roll 2d6 for Water

Bullets:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]
    Grub:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]
    Water:
    2d6 4 [2d6=1, 3]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If there's space, I'd love to play.

Geth roll 3d6 for oooooooo Artifact!

oooooooo Artifact!:
    3d6 11 [3d6=6, 2, 3]

@Neaden I'll need that walkthrough for building my Chronicler. :)

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Will echo FencingSax's sentiment, would be interested if still room.

El Skid with a roll of 623 you are the proud owner of an Umbrella! This protects you from the Rot in the Zone when it rains, giving you a protection rating of 3 against the Rot.

For artifacts in general you also always have the option of turning the artifact in to the Elder and the Ark itself. This will give the Ark a bonus to one of it's four Development ratings and win you the esteem of the others living in the Ark. No actual monetary reward though.

FencingSax and Egos you two would make six total which I think will be fine, especially because there is always the risk of dropouts in PBP. Are there specific playbooks you are interested in?

edited April 2017
    Name: Wager
    Role: Fixer
    Appearance
    Face: Ruggedly Handsome, Scally Cap
    Body: Slender
    Clothes: Tattered Suit, Patched Trench Coat

Attributes
    Strength: 2
    Agility: 3
    Wits: 4
    Empathy: 5

Skills
    Endure (Strength):
    Force (Strength):
    Fight (Strength): 1
    Sneak (Agility):
    Move (Agility): 1
    Shoot (Agility):
    Scout (Wits):
    Comprehend (Wits):
    Know the Zone (Wits):
    Sense Emotion (Empathy): 2
    Manipulate (Empathy): 3
    Heal (Empathy):
    Make a Deal (Empathy): 3

Talent: Juicy Info

Mutation Mind Terror
    You can create vivid hallucinations in others minds at Near range. You can use these to inflict a point of Confusion or Doubt per MP spent. You can also confuse people by spending one MP per person to make them lose their next action; Finally, you can also spend 2 points of MP to create an illusion that the victim will believe is real which they will react to accordingly.

PC Relationship
    ____ is your way to the top. Stay close.

NPC Relationship:
    You hate Fixer Milix who owes you bullets but won't pay up.
    You need to protect Stalker Yassan because of the loot he can find in the Zone.

Gear
    Bullets: 7
    Grub: 2
    Water: 4

Weapons
    Brass Knuckles
    Geth roll 2d6 for Bullets
    Geth roll 2d6 for Grub
    Geth roll 2d6 for Water

Bullets:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]
    Grub:
    2d6 2 [2d6=1, 1]
    Water:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Neaden wrote: »
    FencingSax and Egos you two would make six total which I think will be fine, especially because there is always the risk of dropouts in PBP. Are there specific playbooks you are interested in?

After playing TellTale's Game of Thrones, I have a masochistic urge to play the Boss

Geth roll 2d6 for Freaky Mutations

Freaky Mutations:
    2d6 6 [2d6=1, 5]

edited May 2017
    Character Sheet
    Name: Zent
    Role: Boss
    Face: Striking Eyes
    Body: Standing upright, angular
    Clothes: Old Leather jacket

TALENTS
    • Commander

ATTRIBUTES
    Strength: 4
    Wits: 5
    Empathy: 2

SKILLS

Endure (Strength):
    Force (Strength):
    Fight (Strength):3
    Sneak (Agility): 1
    Move (Agility):2
    Shoot (Agility):
    Scout (Wits):
    Comprehend (Wits):
    Know the Zone (Wits):
    Sense Emotion (Empathy):1
    Manipulate (Empathy):
    Heal (Empathy):
    Command(Wits): 3

MUTATIONS
    Flame Breathing

RELATIONSHIPS TO OTHER PCS
    Helda West is your right hand, who you trust with your life.
    ... stole from you, and thinks you don’t know.
    ... is a useful tool.
    ... dared to defy you, and needs to pay for it.

RELATIONSHIPS TO NPCs

You hate: The Stalker Kara. She Led you into the Zone and tried to kill you.
    You need to protect: The Fixer Sixter, who runs your business.

YOUR BIG DREAM
    To build a new and better civilization in the Dawnworld.

GEAR
    Scrap Knife
    Bullets 3
    Grub 2
    Water 4

Geth roll 1d6 for Bullets
    Geth roll 1d6 for Grub
    Geth roll 2d6 for Water

Bullets:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]
    Grub:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]
    Water:
    2d6 9 [2d6=6, 3]

Egos on
    bleh screwed that last part up, sorry for the spam

Geth Roll 2d6 for Bullets
    Geth Roll 2d6 for Grub
    Geth roll 1d6 for Water

Bullets:
    2d6 3 [2d6=1, 2]
    Grub:
    2d6 2 [2d6=1, 1]
    Water:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

Rolled the wrong dice for water so

Geth roll 1d6 for Water

Water:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    An aside if Fencingsax had his eyes on boss, I could roll an enforcer

edited April 2017
    Name: Vex
    Appearance: Piercing eyes, skinny, worn suit.

Strength: 2
    Wits: 4
    Empathy: 5

Sense Emotion: 2
    Manipulate: 3
    Heal: 2
    Inspire 2
    Shoot: 1

Talent: Performer: once per session, perform in the Ark, telling a story, reciting a poetry, playing your guitar etc. Every success you roll gives you d6 bullets, rations, or grub.
    Mutation: Telepathy: You can spend a point of MP to find out if someone is lying, what they are thinking, or if they are hiding something. You can also spend an MP to plant a simple thought in someone's mind. Finally, you can cause a point Confusion in someone's mind per MP you spend.

PC Relationships (TBD)
    …is the hero of your story, but doesn’t know it.
    …doesn’t understand his own good, and needs to be saved.
    …is a threat to the entire People.
    …will die soon. It’s only a matter of time.

NPC Relationships

I hate the Chronicler Davin, whose lies the People love listening to.
    I want to protect my worn notebook.

My dream is to bring children to the People and teach a daughter or son all they need to know about the Dawnworld.
    Geth, roll 1d6 for bullets
    Geth, roll 1d6 for grub
    Geth, roll 1d6 for water

bullets:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]
    grub:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    water:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

admanb on
    @admanb FYI I think skills are capped at 3 on char creation.

Seems like they'll be an interesting character though!

The post says five, but the starter booklet says three. I actually like this allocation better so :+1: .

I have only a rough sketch of Vex in my head but I should have some basic background/description for them by the time we start. Based on the abilities I have I'm getting the feeling that Vex is well-liked, but not a nice person.

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    If there's still room, I'd be interested.

steam_sig.png
    admanb wrote: »

The post says five, but the starter booklet says three. I actually like this allocation better so :+1: .

I have only a rough sketch of Vex in my head but I should have some basic background/description for them by the time we start. Based on the abilities I have I'm getting the feeling that Vex is well-liked, but not a nice person.

You're quite right. @Neaden is 5 the correct max skill then, since it's what you typed up?

I messed up skills sorry, the max is indeed 3 in the core book, I just misremembered. My apologies!

@dresdenphile We have six people who've expressed interest, which I think is the maximum that we can feasibly do, but if anyone drops out or doesn't create a character I'll let you know.

So I think @El Skid, @Grunt's Ghosts , @Deadfall, and @admanb are done with the first stage of character creation, but @Fencingsax and @Egos still need to finish. If either of you need any help from me with it just let me know here or through PM.

With four people though I think we can begin creating our Ark and Zone. The first question is would you prefer to play in London (The Big Smoke) or the semi-submerged ruins of New York City (The Dead Apple)

I'm good with either, honestly!

Same. I'm unfamiliar enough with the game and setting so either one will be equally new to me. I'm fine with rolling a d2 or something.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I like the sound of semi-submerged ruins. I've had a fondness for watery apocalypses ever since FreakAngels.

I've played a lot of games in NYC but never in London, so I'm down for that.

[doo doo doo dee doo]Start spreading the news![/doo doo doo dee doo]

edited April 2017
    For those around, what's missing on my sheet ?

From my understanding gang members were developed after the Ark or is this incorrect ?

Egos on