As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games! A Realm Full of Gamma-Goblins and Secret Hitlers

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »
    The typical rule of thumb is once for casual play, twice for competitive play, three times if you're super competitive and don't have any friends who can loan you a third desperado.

That's true for Netrunner, but if you only bought two of GoT or Conquest you were fuuuuuucked.

yeah in conquest especially the third core was basically essential if you wanted to build a credible deck at all

oddly enough that's less true these days in Thrones simply because it's a valar morghulis meta and character singletons are largely fine

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    I kinda hate that they didn't learn their lesson from the Netrunner core set, though

Your core sets should just have full playsets of all the cards!

They want to keep the base entry point cheap and also don't want to put more than one SKU on the shelf (such as core set + upgrade/completion kit). They've learned from numerous LCG releases that they can get away with that. What has improved is that they're stuffing a fuckton of factions into the core sets, so instead of buying three boxes and getting hundreds of duplicates (Conquest was the worst for that -- fuck those Warlord sets) you're buying three boxes and getting a few dozen.

Interestingly, the Runewars miniatures game is the first one to break the rule of FFG: they're releasing an Essentials Pack that contains all the non-minis content from the core set. So you can split a core or get one of the expansion armies and not have to buy a core to get the base upgrades and such.

I've actually heard that if you want to play Runewars seriously you still have to get two cores for some reason

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Three core sets? Eat my entire butt, FFG

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    I kinda hate that they didn't learn their lesson from the Netrunner core set, though

Your core sets should just have full playsets of all the cards!

They want to keep the base entry point cheap and also don't want to put more than one SKU on the shelf (such as core set + upgrade/completion kit). They've learned from numerous LCG releases that they can get away with that. What has improved is that they're stuffing a fuckton of factions into the core sets, so instead of buying three boxes and getting hundreds of duplicates (Conquest was the worst for that -- fuck those Warlord sets) you're buying three boxes and getting a few dozen.

Interestingly, the Runewars miniatures game is the first one to break the rule of FFG: they're releasing an Essentials Pack that contains all the non-minis content from the core set. So you can split a core or get one of the expansion armies and not have to buy a core to get the base upgrades and such.

I've actually heard that if you want to play Runewars seriously you still have to get two cores for some reason

That's true right now, because it's the only way to expand your army, but once they release the individual unit packs that will no longer be true. And the individual unit packs will come with different upgrade cards, so even people with two cores will likely want them.

And if you want extra copies of the core set upgrade cards, you can get the Essentials Pack.

admanb on
  • Options
    I know it sounds pretty egregious and exploitative, and I'm not even a fan of it as someone who has played Netrunner, Conquest and Game of Thrones pretty seriously

but any one of those games is still cheaper to get into and maintain as a hobby than pretty much any CCG

• Options
    I know it sounds pretty egregious and exploitative, and I'm not even a fan of it as someone who has played Netrunner, Conquest and Game of Thrones pretty seriously

but any one of those games is still cheaper to get into and maintain as a hobby than pretty much any CCG

Oh for sure

and I haven't been into any LCG for a minute now, because I just don't have the time to play them

I guess my big issue is buying three of the same thing

strictly for my personal use

this is making a big assumption of how I play games, like assuming I play them competitively at all or have any interest in playing against people that aren't my wife, but

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    CCGs have the thrill of gambling though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The typical rule of thumb is once for casual play, twice for competitive play, three times if you're super competitive and don't have any friends who can loan you a third desperado.

That's true for Netrunner, but if you only bought two of GoT or Conquest you were fuuuuuucked.

yeah in conquest especially the third core was basically essential if you wanted to build a credible deck at all

oddly enough that's less true these days in Thrones simply because it's a valar morghulis meta and character singletons are largely fine

I admit I didn't know that because my entire community quit playing Thrones as soon as we heard valar was getting reprinted.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Runewars sounds neat looking into it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Three core sets was more of a big deal before for Criminal because everyone ran three Desperado.

Maybe two.

• Options
    LIke I actually bought two core sets of the Netrunner box because I was like "Hey maybe I'll get into this"

Nope

No I will not

I still need to look into selling my Netrunner stuff... Possibly my X-Wing stuff as well? I dunno. I don't really play those at all. Though I did really like X-Wing.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Three core sets was more of a big deal before for Criminal because everyone ran three Desperado.

Maybe two.

It kept being a big deal since FA ran 3xSanSan City Grid.

It also could've been a big deal for Noise, but they were generous enough to print an accessible promo of Aesop's Pawnshop.

• Options

I admit I didn't know that because my entire community quit playing Thrones as soon as we heard valar was getting reprinted.

yeah I was pretty nervous about it myself but it turns out that it's been a good thing, for a couple reasons

1) it's just not as strong as it was in 1e. 2 gold doesn't go as far as it did before and a full round of not being able to make productive challenges (claim 0) is a pretty big deal.

2) right before it was printed the game was getting really stale--it had basically turned into "I'm gonna play my big bombs and my targeted kill and you're gonna try to do the same and whichever of us does this more effectively gets to win the game". a big reset like Valar makes playing from behind way more viable.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I played 2 matches of Runewars miniatures starter set. (Which is 100pt vs 100pt, the game itself is 200pt)

It's definitely interesting, but almost certainly quite a bit more expensive than Xwing mini.

It's more of a grind. There's no dodging, only an armor rating, and getting out of melee is tough.
    This seems to make a single movement misjudgement very painful, way more than Xwing. I had to gamble,

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    LIke I actually bought two core sets of the Netrunner box because I was like "Hey maybe I'll get into this"

Nope

No I will not

I still need to look into selling my Netrunner stuff... Possibly my X-Wing stuff as well? I dunno. I don't really play those at all. Though I did really like X-Wing.

I might be interested in some of your x-wing stuff, depending on what it is and if you're willing to let it go piecemeal

• Options

how do we keep playing the same games in Seattle and never meet

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I played 2 matches of Runewars miniatures starter set. (Which is 100pt vs 100pt, the game itself is 200pt)

It's definitely interesting, but almost certainly quite a bit more expensive than Xwing mini.

It's more of a grind. There's no dodging, only an armor rating, and getting out of melee is tough.
    This seems to make a single movement misjudgement very painful, way more than Xwing. I had to gamble,

I also noticed that mistakes were punished savagely, but I feel that's a symptom of playing half the game size. Even when a big mistake was made it was, as you said, a grind -- one in which the side that made the mistake is guaranteed to lose, but still a grind. With a full game there will be a lot more elements at play that can disrupt that conflict.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Holy shit backstory idea for my game

the real reason the early industrial revolution is full of steam powered airships and magicite ore and that history is so different is not that it's Alternate Reality earth, it's that it's actually Far Future earth after the Cataclysm, but no one really has any written history of it (except maybe the robots) and that was like two thousand years ago.

In the (second) enlightenment everyone has started to believe that the oral history of it is basically just creation stories from proto-religions and aren't actually factually true.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Nope

No I will not

I hear they're doing some sort of Legacy Campaign box for Netrunner that is actually intended to be played with just the Core Set and the Legacy Campaign.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I've been keeping track of hotel guests that would make for good DND names

So far:
    Susanna Coldiron
    Timothy Clinkscales
    Glades Savage
    Yvonne Winters
    Tiberius Victor
    Teepa Snow

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blank, where the hell do you work?

Which realm does it occupy?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tiberius Victor is 100% a supervillain

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Nope

No I will not

I hear they're doing some sort of Legacy Campaign box for Netrunner that is actually intended to be played with just the Core Set and the Legacy Campaign.

yes it's called Terminal Directive and it's out at the end of the month

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I've been keeping track of hotel guests that would make for good DND names

So far:
    Susanna Coldiron
    Timothy Clinkscales
    Glades Savage
    Yvonne Winters
    Tiberius Victor
    Teepa Snow

Do you live near the Northern Wastes or something?

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    crabs are dead

how do you feel about crayfish?

Crabby.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I live in a realm few of you will ever journey to

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I think this board is predominantly American, so that's a safe bet.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Blank, where the hell do you work?

Which realm does it occupy?

There are some CRAZY names out there. My personal fave is Jy'Quavious.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Nope

No I will not

I tired to get into Netrunner because the concept of a living card game was at least very interesting
    But my brother had played the first netrunner ccg and has very negative thoughts about it so it was quite hard to try to get over that
    I think I have the base game and two of the supplements.

I quite like X wing but I need to get a bigger table if I want to play something else than a few fighters. the dogs do not like us playing the floor as they will knock over the ships or attempt to scatter the markers to make us pay attention to them

• Options

Nope

No I will not

I might be interested in some of your x-wing stuff, depending on what it is and if you're willing to let it go piecemeal

Yeah, probably! I'm not entirely sure if I'll sell it because I do like the game a lot.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

South Dakota?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

I've been to the dump

numerous times in fact

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

South Dakota?

Wyoming as those left behind know the meaning of regret

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I can't imagine any reason, barring an emergency plane landing, that I'd spend time in Oklahoma.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Plenty of people go to south dakota

North dakota is the ine with zero redeming values

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Regarding your mystic pizza game...
    Is there a recurring villian known as The Flying Hawaiian?
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Tiberius Victor is 100% a supervillain

Rude.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Neo you have played a thief in like half the games I have played with you

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    SOMETIMES A WARLOCK

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    SOMETIMES A WARLOCK

Musn't forget the ranger, with his cursed good looks and fabulous cape.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    SOMETIMES A WARLOCK

God damn Warlocks.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
This discussion has been closed.