As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Games! A Realm Full of Gamma-Goblins and Secret Hitlers

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Actually I don't know if I've ever played a straight up thief
    Characters I've played:
    Jo'marli - Space Cactaur, sleazy promoter, largely inspired by t-pain.

Sydney McGee - Megolamanical barista that gained firestarter powers and whose first action was convincing a tween to fight a kid with a shotgun, so she wouldn't have to

Nigel Slate - Actuary that used probability to fight. Think the future sight in Green Hornet, Premium Rush, Sherlock Holmes. Loosely based on The Wire's Lester Freeman.

Malcolm "Mal" Carne - just Sanji from one piece
    Hot head caperioa chef, made out with a half rat lady, defeated an powerful illusion crafter by blinding themselves and using their powerful chef sense smell to fight them blind

The Prince "Zephyr Highwind" - shitty pirate with double hookshots, suffered MANY greivious wounds, scored a critical hit on the gms railroading attempts and kicked a flash grade into someone's face.

???? - booze vampire, manipulator of shades and shadows. Dr Facier ajacent. Lair was a bathouse and tried to become the Lord of Lies.

Illana - Chaotic Good Kitsune summoner. Illana from broad city + Amethyst from SU. Has a brother name Jamie and sister named Vivica. Called a giant spider persona that was a sometimes samurai and came to this plane to get good at doing tattoos. .

Kiratus "50 scents" Jakkalson -
    Dark Sun barbarian longtooth shifter
    An excuse to do a wolfman voice

Zephyr Quinn - ranger with Ravens as animal companions
    Odin dipped in Jack Sparrow

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I've been keeping track of hotel guests that would make for good DND names

So far:
    Susanna Coldiron
    Timothy Clinkscales
    Glades Savage
    Yvonne Winters
    Tiberius Victor
    Teepa Snow

Wait, you had my college history professor as a guest?

SrUxdlb.jpg
    edited April 2017
    Compiling that list makes me realize how little experience I have with systems that aren't
    DE?AD's ridiculous Homebrew stuff

I apologize to all future dms for my nonesense

For instance, love wizards and magic but the idea of spell lists and spell slots make me recoil

NeoToma on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Compiling that list makes me realize how little experience I have with systems that aren't

For instance, love wizards and magic but the idea of spell lists and spell slots make me recoil

spell points are kind of weird, but alternatives are often just as shoddy.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »

its not as bad as you think. especially in 5E with how free cantrips are. you can basically just shuffle what spells you have available to use per adventure or even during rests in some cases, and unless your DM/GM is a slave driver don't even worry about managing resource materials for spells unless its something ludicrous

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    there are several items in 5e where material components under a certain value are just ignored.

you start with at least one of them.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah unless it has a set gold value I don't think I've ever cared about spell material components.

Now if a Wizard loses their spell book on the other hand....

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I mean, 3.5 settled it with spell component pouches

spend 5 gold and never worry about the GM asking if you have sufficient bull dung or feathers again

I thought 3.5 had an actual feat you could take to skip the costs? or maybe they added the pouches in a later book...

"I have an orb, i don't need bull dung"

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Spell components make sense if they want to perform a huge ritual. Gotta make them work for it.

"i don't need bull dung, i already have these rules. BLAM!"

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well the rule book is full of crap so why not use it as a component?

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I remember when i first started D&D tracking spell components. Or at least I wrote out a list and then never referred to it again. A bit like encumbrance

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    What if the required component is a spell component pouch

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    One my chars is a Gnome Prankster who has the "Swap" ability, which is a retooling of the steal maneuver (mostly giving me no AoE and a higher roll, though flavor wise I also get to replace the item with a similar sized object)
    I only had 1 chance so far, but stealing an enemies caster spell component pouch is essentially a won encounter.
    It made me think about sundering the pouch of enemies with melee characters.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Mage the Awakening has a great attitude towards spell components where if you use powerful symbolic tools when casting you gain a dice bonus.

And if you want to do powerful spells, you need that

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Isn't there a measure of diminishing returned on the WoD dice pool mechanic or is that an issue that was long resolved? I have no idea; I only know it was an issue in 2nd and 3rd edition VtM.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    They actually seem to be making some steps towards age of sigmaring 40k in this new edition.

At least in the sense of the new edition will have free core rule downloads and such, 3 different ways to organize games (open, narrative, and a points system for competitive play (yuck, just get rid of tournament play)) and apparently all the old codex will be incompatible with the new rules entirely which makes me think those will work like the warscrolls for sigmar in the future. They are however only advancing the story a little bit still and not nuking the setting from orbit like old WHFB which is good.

I'll be interested to see if it makes the game more approachable like age of sigmar seems these days.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Did some fan art of @Speed Racer's game, based off prompts from the latest episode of the Inside The Master's Studio podcast by @DaMoonRulz

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    They actually seem to be making some steps towards age of sigmaring 40k in this new edition.

At least in the sense of the new edition will have free core rule downloads and such, 3 different ways to organize games (open, narrative, and a points system for competitive play (yuck, just get rid of tournament play)) and apparently all the old codex will be incompatible with the new rules entirely which makes me think those will work like the warscrolls for sigmar in the future. They are however only advancing the story a little bit still and not nuking the setting from orbit like old WHFB which is good.

I'll be interested to see if it makes the game more approachable like age of sigmar seems these days.

Everything I've read about it so far sounds super good.

If they can port the streamlining of AoS into 40k while still keeping some elements of the crunchy core, it is going to be splendid.

I just hope my Nids don't get fucked in the transition but, such is life.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

If they can port the streamlining of AoS into 40k while still keeping some elements of the crunchy core, it is going to be splendid.

I'm hoping that someday they will get it to a place where I can play for an actual reasonable amount of money.

I'm hoping that someday they will get it to a place where I can play for an actual reasonable amount of money.

Yeah, 40k proper is still a good bit off from affordable, but, the skirmish side stuff they have been putting out like Kill Team and now Shadow War is well priced. But skirmish vs full blown war scratch different itches for sure.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

X-Wing was supposed to be something you can play for an actual reasonable amount of money.

But then you spend it all anyway.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    X-Wing is reasonable if you're group/store is cool with people proxying cards. Otherwise it's price point kinda sucks, in my opinion.

That reminds me, I need to offload all my x-wing miniatures at some point. I'm very much over that game.

X-Wing is reasonable if you're group/store is cool with people proxying cards. Otherwise it's price point kinda sucks, in my opinion.

That reminds me, I need to offload all my x-wing miniatures at some point. I'm very much over that game.

Well there is Wargamming and X wing is on the lower end of that
    More wallet and time friendly

Warlock fits my play style because I like magic but am lazy. Charisma and contracts, baby.
    "Can I just throw up the horns and zap a dude?"
    Coolio.

And while I enjoyed the compents discussion, I was more speaking on choosing what spells to fill your limited slots, and like casting thing at higher level, but getting cast it less time? That stuff.

Well when I play D&D last we were playing hybrid classes but you rolled to see what skills you got as your off spec
    So I ended being a bard rogue my friend ended being a wizard thief so our misadventure was really interesting
    Still thinking about the possibilities you could get with just hybrid classes is a deep hole to fall into

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Still thinking about the possibilities you could get with just hybrid classes is a deep hole to fall into

I have dozens of multiclassed characters for 4e D&D. Dozens.

Because I just wanted to see what ridiculous shit I could come up with that, maybe, just maybe, were theoretically viable.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I want to say it can't possibly get worse, but, uh...

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    nids always get worse

Really getting the gangs of commorragh and then looking at what was up with 40k and seeing the Ynnari rekindled my interest in 40k
    I know it's super expensive but I still have my Eldar army from a long time ago
    Seeing Duncan on Warhammer tv make it look easy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zob4jAGbpMM
    But I have tons of questions
    Do I need the other 3 codexs to play the Aeldari or ynnari?
    Is Kill Team coming back?
    and others.

I have not played for nearly 7 years so it's like a whole new world discovered of a thing you once knew

The other weird thing is my failed attempts to get my brother interested in Xwing,netrunner and other things but 40k well he went and dug out his army and what he was doing to it an epoch ago {he was building a 13th great company.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Crosspost from other RPG thread

So this may seem like a weird place for these but we went through the woods and swamps on a hike today and I took some pictures that gave me some place ideas for use in tabletop sessions. Maybe someone else will dig them!
    U6zKaeal.jpg
    XF7H2BCl.jpg
    9AZkrcWl.jpg
    PJQlKPcl.jpg

Also I am finding that I really like the camera on my phone.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Why yes I would like to run a superhero campaign of finding the lair of Silverdoller Steve, the magical moonshiner in the swamps milking centaurs for magic reagents. His base built into an old Bowie party shack he forgot about.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

You need at least one.

yes, and they also brought back necromunda, sorta.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I just finished the Old Kingdom books by Garth Nix and I'm definitely going to steal his gates of death idea for an adventure.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Really getting the gangs of commorragh and then looking at what was up with 40k and seeing the Ynnari rekindled my interest in 40k
    I know it's super expensive but I still have my Eldar army from a long time ago
    Seeing Duncan on Warhammer tv make it look easy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zob4jAGbpMM
    and others.

I have not played for nearly 7 years so it's like a whole new world discovered of a thing you once knew

The other weird thing is my failed attempts to get my brother interested in Xwing,netrunner and other things but 40k well he went and dug out his army and what he was doing to it an epoch ago {he was building a 13th great company.

A new edition is confirmed coming out this year that will invalidate every currently printed codex, this is straight from Games Workshop itself.

So, my advice for now would be to just wait and see how things play out.

They've also confirmed that the new core rulebook will be free so, you can proxy the miniatures and try before you buy with friends for zero monetary investment.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Did some fan art of @Speed Racer's game, based off prompts from the latest episode of the Inside The Master's Studio podcast by @DaMoonRulz

I have not gotten over how freakin cool this is you are awesome

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I'm sensing a pattern of PA games featuring tiered cities

VRXwDW7.png
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    Hey tabletop thread I am hoping someone in here can give me a hand, a few months ago someone mentioned a 2 player zombie themed game where the two of you take turns telling stories trying to delay the other from using the gun on the table to kill you as one of you might be infected. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the game and im going crazy trying to find it.

This discussion has been closed.