As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Games! A Realm Full of Gamma-Goblins and Secret Hitlers

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    From the necromancer thread I kind of want to make an undead wizard that is being forced to be a necromancer but is completely on denial about it and is lawful good.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    From the necromancer thread I kind of want to make an undead wizard that is being forced to be a necromancer but is completely on denial about it and is lawful good.

13th age Necromancer could do this pretty easily! It's actually a really well done class

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

13th age Necromancer could do this pretty easily! It's actually a really well done class
    We have a necromancer being played as a death priest right now. Not in denial, per se, but tricked into accepting the job; previously a love priest.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    been checking out The Veil RPG and I already have a weird-ass setting idea for it

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Played some D&D tonight. I had to re-enter a city we accidentally caused a riot in, where the mayor...kinda got murdered. So, I made disguises, and Marbles the halfling bard went undercover as a dwarf. His name? Blarbles Hammerlute.

Later I got a skeletal cat because I helped trick my party members so they wouldn't kill a guy for a book? Anyways, I named the cat Meowbles.

Then, I had to go undercover again, so I applied a fake goatee and pretended to be my cousin, Charbles.

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Stationary wrote: »
    Hey tabletop thread I am hoping someone in here can give me a hand, a few months ago someone mentioned a 2 player zombie themed game where the two of you take turns telling stories trying to delay the other from using the gun on the table to kill you as one of you might be infected. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the game and im going crazy trying to find it.

That would be The Bite. Dex Dynamo mentioned it earlier in this thread as one of his favorite RPGs.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    seriously though, who wants to play DnD with me?

I asked before and we ended up talking about the IDW comics and i went and read them and yeah they're good, better than the current series but the current series is pretty alright other than having Minsc in it seems like a desperate claw at fan service but they're at least trying to do something with the character?

i just found play test rules for adding foils in a campaign for down time stuff, and now i'm having fun thinking about a high level wizard and a stable hand having this years long feud.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What current series?

edited April 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What current series?

i'm not sure the full name of it. it started when baulder's gate enhanced ediot came out as part of a marketing push, they even added minsc to Neverwinter to mmo because, reasons. and it's been going since.

edit: Legends of baulder's gate, i guess?

Melding on
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I know someone in this thread has said they played Pathfinder society? I just got back from a session. It was an adventure for characters leveled 5 through 9, and if you're not familiar, they basically have two versions, one for if the average character level is 5-6, and one if the average character level is 8-9. There's some weird rounding rules, but basically we had the choice of playing in either at our discretion even though we only had one character out of the six of us that was level 8-9. We picked to go with the high tier version... Whew, that was a mistake.

Basically, mathematically we just could not beat the monster at the end of the scenario. Most of our damage was between two rogues, and a Ranger, but the end monster was one of the few that's immune to sneak attack, and it also wasn't a favored enemy of the Ranger. Between that and the pure damage output of this thing we were just boned. And anytime I came across discussion a scenario like this, there's always a bunch of people going "Oh, this monster's way too strong. We got TPK'd" And like, this monster definitely was too strong, but like, the reason we were there, is we just crossed a portal into Hell where our target NPC was sold into slavery. We can see the NPC. Our cleric is basically all about teleporting around. So after like two rounds when we realize that there's no way we could have won, it became this game of strategy of distracting this thing and not dying until the cleric could get the prisoner clear and we haul ass out of there into a portal back into our home world.

I don't know. I know there's a lot of problems with Pathfinder as a system, and its flaws kind of make a lot of players focus solely on combat and if you can't win by hitting a thing, then you can't win at all. But that's like the third time where I've had a character be in a scenario like that, and its always a better story and more thrilling at the table to realize that we've bit off more than we can chew and how on earth are we going to get out of it than to just show up and kick something's ass.

It was a good night, is what I'm saying.

personally i've found the problem is the mindset of players being more "I'm here to fight things to the death, so i'm going to fight to the death!" rather than, not doing that. and living.

Rarely escape isn't an option.

Glad you had fun.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I know someone in this thread has said they played Pathfinder society? I just got back from a session. It was an adventure for characters leveled 5 through 9, and if you're not familiar, they basically have two versions, one for if the average character level is 5-6, and one if the average character level is 8-9. There's some weird rounding rules, but basically we had the choice of playing in either at our discretion even though we only had one character out of the six of us that was level 8-9. We picked to go with the high tier version... Whew, that was a mistake.

Basically, mathematically we just could not beat the monster at the end of the scenario. Most of our damage was between two rogues, and a Ranger, but the end monster was one of the few that's immune to sneak attack, and it also wasn't a favored enemy of the Ranger. Between that and the pure damage output of this thing we were just boned. And anytime I came across discussion a scenario like this, there's always a bunch of people going "Oh, this monster's way too strong. We got TPK'd" And like, this monster definitely was too strong, but like, the reason we were there, is we just crossed a portal into Hell where our target NPC was sold into slavery. We can see the NPC. Our cleric is basically all about teleporting around. So after like two rounds when we realize that there's no way we could have won, it became this game of strategy of distracting this thing and not dying until the cleric could get the prisoner clear and we haul ass out of there into a portal back into our home world.

I don't know. I know there's a lot of problems with Pathfinder as a system, and its flaws kind of make a lot of players focus solely on combat and if you can't win by hitting a thing, then you can't win at all. But that's like the third time where I've had a character be in a scenario like that, and its always a better story and more thrilling at the table to realize that we've bit off more than we can chew and how on earth are we going to get out of it than to just show up and kick something's ass.

It was a good night, is what I'm saying.

I know this scenario I think. It is an otherwise very fun scenario if the GM can roleplay it well, and if the party responds well to it.
    Fortress of the Nail
    It is known for having a very tough final battle that is technically within Challenge Rating rules, but uses template shenanigans to be overpowered. It is also a hotbed of discussion about Monster Tactics... it is supposed to spread its attacks to be less dangerous, but that only works if there's a lot of melee. And even then it's probably in the top 10 toughest fights in PFS.

Even then we defeated it with a Touch of Chaos + Stunning Fist (Roll save twice, take lowest, then stun + decapitate, and an Enervate that lowered its saves by 3 the round before), a nearly unbeatable combination. And we tried a lot, and it was dangerous as fuck. Though me, the teleporting Arcanist, was ready to teleport to the prisoner, then back, if things went south)

Retreat is an option explicitly covered by PFS. It asks you to "beat" the encounter, and to achieve primary and secondary objectives. (You don't always know the secondaries, they generally require you to be decent people, rescue people in peril or explore when given the chance). You can mis out on some gold, but eh.

This week at another table, things went bad early, and the party had 2 deaths within 2 rounds of combat thanks to 4/5 failing paralysis saving throws in a classic mummy encounter. (Horrific rolls and even rerolls, not insane DCs) They recovered their friends bodies and got the fuck out. It sucks, and it happens infrequently, but there are ways to deal with that. That danger needs to be there, if there's no tension people start clowning around.

PFS is of course, a railroaded experience. They're 24 page mini adventures written to end up in 1 specific room within 4 hours. There's limits to that. You don't build big character bonds, you don't get into a ton of long term world building since it's all established already and you're playing adventures out of order. Pathfinder itself is a system that is highly susceptible to min-max and has big issue with rules bloat.
    But for me at least it provides a stable experience. I play almost every Wednesday night, different players out of a pool of 30 or so (Usually around 15-20 show up), and play different characters myself. (I just started a 4th, a stealthy alchemist who is essentially Solid Snake, trying to make every job a sneaking mission, focuses on his mission above other concerns, and always using "we're an elite team sent in to clean up your mess" against npc's... he's bad at diplomacy or intimidate. Also he has no knowledge skills about enemies, so he always needs to be told what to do)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm looking for recommendations: games for 4+ players that are fairly easy to learn, easy for non-gaming folk to pick up and enjoy. Good party games basically.
    I already own:
    Secret Hitler
    Monikers
    Bang
    Code names
    Betrayal
    Sushi Go

godmode on
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Last time I played Colt Express there were three players that had never played board games like this and they picked it up real quick if you have somebody verbalize the turn order. It is also a visually interesting game that isn't terribly complex to set up.

VRXwDW7.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    godmode wrote: »
    I'm looking for recommendations: games for 4+ players that are fairly easy to learn, easy for non-gaming folk to pick up and enjoy. Good party games basically.
    I already own:
    Secret Hitler
    Monikers
    Bang
    Code names
    Betrayal
    Sushi Go

Avalon/Resistance, though this scratches a similar itch to Secret Hitler.

Captain Sonar, though, the real time nature of it might overwhelm some people.

Love Letter, great for non-gaming folks but caps at exactly 4.

Inquisitor on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I already own:
    Secret Hitler
    Monikers
    Bang
    Code names
    Betrayal
    Sushi Go

Coup

Dixit

And deep down you know there's a Twilight Imperium shaped hole on your life

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

I asked before and we ended up talking about the IDW comics and i went and read them and yeah they're good, better than the current series but the current series is pretty alright other than having Minsc in it seems like a desperate claw at fan service but they're at least trying to do something with the character?

i just found play test rules for adding foils in a campaign for down time stuff, and now i'm having fun thinking about a high level wizard and a stable hand having this years long feud.

Yo @Melding we have an ongoing super huge dungeon world campaign if you'd like to come and play. We have a few folks from the forums in it so I guess they can attest better to general play enjoyability since I'm a biased source

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I already own:
    Secret Hitler
    Monikers
    Bang
    Code names
    Betrayal
    Sushi Go

Fiasco
    Space team
    Mysterium
    Epic spell wars
    Dragoon
    Spyfall

Erin The Red on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I already own:
    Secret Hitler
    Monikers
    Bang
    Code names
    Betrayal
    Sushi Go

Fiasco
    Space team
    Mysterium
    Epic spell wars
    Dragoon
    Sheriff of Nottingham

CYpGAPn.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Samurai spirit

It is basically cooperative blackjack.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I already own:
    Secret Hitler
    Monikers
    Bang
    Code names
    Betrayal
    Sushi Go

I'll echo Captain Sonar and Dixit, both see regular play with my group when we hit 6 or more for a game night.

Council of Blackthorn
    Tsuro
    Wits and Wagers
    One Night Ultimate Werewolf
    Organ Attack!
    Mysterium
    King of Tokyo

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I already own:
    Secret Hitler
    Monikers
    Bang
    Code names
    Betrayal
    Sushi Go

Mascarade is one of my all time favorite hidden identity games, it's fantastic for parties.

Yo Melding we have an ongoing super huge dungeon world campaign if you'd like to come and play. We have a few folks from the forums in it so I guess they can attest better to general play enjoyability since I'm a biased source

Thanks for the offer, I will think about it! though dungeon world is very much a game i look at every once in a bit and just can't get into. it usually loses me around character creation.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

I'd be interested, depending on your schedule!

Yo Melding we have an ongoing super huge dungeon world campaign if you'd like to come and play. We have a few folks from the forums in it so I guess they can attest better to general play enjoyability since I'm a biased source

Thanks for the offer, I will think about it! though dungeon world is very much a game i look at every once in a bit and just can't get into. it usually loses me around character creation.

That's totally fair. Not for everyone and all. Just let me know if you decide to bite the bullet

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

TELL ME WHERE AND WHEN WILL WE PLAY AND I WILL STEAL AN AIRPLANE AND ALSO TEACH MYSELF TO FLY IT AND GOD HAVE MERCY ON ANY FOOL WHO DARES IMPEDE ME

Or play on the Internets is also cool. Whatever works. I can DM if needed, but my ratio of time as DM to time as a Player has been at least 10:1 for quite a while now, and I really wouldn't mind tilting that the other way a little. Mountain Time Zone, work until 6PM weekdays, and ready to fill any party roll.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    okay, so that's three.

what's your preferred edition?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I already own:
    Secret Hitler
    Monikers
    Bang
    Code names
    Betrayal
    Sushi Go

Mascarade is one of my all time favorite hidden identity games, it's fantastic for parties.

mascarade might be the best hidden identity game to play when drinking

liEt3nH.png
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'd love to play an online game with you guys, and I would happily DM even though Roll20 is a pain in the ass to use(read: I am very lazy and hate doing prep work, roll20 isn't conducive to improv shit, maybe I should spend some time learning how to draw shitty shapes on it to indicate terrain)

Rainfall on
    okay, so that's three.

what's your preferred edition?

I've got all my 5e stuff handy, but could dig out my 4e and 3/3.5e stuff without too much trouble. For online play, I'd prefer 5e.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    we're up to four, i probably know a fifth, they don't really post here anymore though.

5e is good for me. I like 5e, would like to learn it better.

Cool! My timeslots are fairly open provided I have time to prepare, since I write my own schedules, but Friday/Saturday is right out. Weekday evenings(MST) are best for me.

Melding, did you want to DM or play?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I would like to know more about 5e D&D since I got back into it in 4th

i am a better player than DM so if you want to DM that is great.

i'm on EST, and get off of work 5pm during the week. Thursday is maybe the best, but i'm flexible.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I already own:
    Secret Hitler
    Monikers
    Bang
    Code names
    Betrayal
    Sushi Go

mascarade might be the best hidden identity game to play when drinking

Yeah, that's honestly its ideal form

edited April 2017
    Okay, loose proposition: 5E, 3rd level(since levels 1&2 are tutorial levels with no real meaning,) +500GP in addition to starting wealth.
    Any class or race option from a published book is acceptable, Unearthed Arcana stuff is probably cool but pass it by me first.

Thursday night play, 630MST(830 EST) - i can swing that a little earlier if people don't want to be up late.

While it won't be an aquatic campaign there will be some aquatic stuff probably? And your characters of course should be willing to behave and work with others to obtain MAXIMUM TREASURE.

Rainfall on
    i am down with all of that.

question: do alternatives in the DMG count as options from a published book?

Probably won't happen but i am thinking of the Eladrin alternate traits for high elf.

i am down with all of that.

question: do alternatives in the DMG count as options from a published book?

Probably won't happen but i am thinking of the Eladrin alternate traits for high elf.

Yeah they're fine, although the Aasimar in Volos is way cooler than the DMG one.

i just bought volos, it should be here tuesday. i did not know it had aasimar in it.

i just bought volos, it should be here tuesday. i did not know it had aasimar in it.

Yeah, it's got an updated version with three sub-races that give them a little more flexibility than "Just play a Devotion Paladin, why are you even looking at anything else?"

This discussion has been closed.