As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witness] Released! Get lost on a mysterious puzzle island on PC and PS4!

191011121315»

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Wait, where is the challenge area? I've finished all the areas and the "game" I've been going back and trying to get the rest of the +1s

Well, remember
    how you got into the mountain?
    There's more
    to do with that box

Outright:
    Activate all the lasers and look at the bottom of the box, then follow the wire down to the statue working on the panel.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh, I'll have to check that out, because of how I went about stuff, I currently have one of the lasers looking at a cloud so I just didn't even notice that.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Oh, I'll have to check that out, because of how I went about stuff, I currently have one of the lasers looking at a cloud so I just didn't even notice that.

Yeah that laser
    Can look at the cloud, but can also do something else.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    So I finally pushed through and finished the game. Still not sure if I'm going to do the challenge area or not, I took a look at some of the puzzles in there before going to bed. It's scary in there.

In general, it's been a positive experience for me. It's a great puzzle game, I'd like more games to be like this one.

Other than the record player bullshit, I found everything else down there perfectly solvable.
    There were some tough ones, but nothing was really harder than the other most difficult panels in the game. The only thing I looked up is what the colors were on the funky color panel because I just find trying to figure that shit out completely tedious.

I was so damn happy with myself when I finally figured out the trick for that puzzle, after staring at it for probably over an hour. In retrospect it seems simple, but the logic completely eluded me.

I really loved that puzzle, entirely because it prompted to me to..
    Look up how colors work.

I vaguely remember something in middle school or high school science about how and why colors change when you view them via a color filter, but this gave me the opportunity to actually go look it up, learn it, and apply that knowledge.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    So I finally pushed through and finished the game. Still not sure if I'm going to do the challenge area or not, I took a look at some of the puzzles in there before going to bed. It's scary in there.

In general, it's been a positive experience for me. It's a great puzzle game, I'd like more games to be like this one.

Other than the record player bullshit, I found everything else down there perfectly solvable.
    There were some tough ones, but nothing was really harder than the other most difficult panels in the game. The only thing I looked up is what the colors were on the funky color panel because I just find trying to figure that shit out completely tedious.

I was so damn happy with myself when I finally figured out the trick for that puzzle, after staring at it for probably over an hour. In retrospect it seems simple, but the logic completely eluded me.

Look up how colors work.

I vaguely remember something in middle school or high school science about how and why colors change when you view them via a color filter, but this gave me the opportunity to actually go look it up, learn it, and apply that knowledge.
    That's what I ended up doing, but I realized afterwards that you only really need to isolate the different colour groups rather than figure out what they actually are. So long as you know that X and Y aren't the same under every light source, you know they can't be together when they're in regular light.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

Look up how colors work.

And then never use that knowledge again unless you're playing The Witness.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Look up how colors work.

That's what I ended up doing, but I realized afterwards that you only really need to isolate the different colour groups rather than figure out what they actually are. So long as you know that X and Y aren't the same under every light source, you know they can't be together when they're in regular light.

How I do these now, since it worked wonders in the village:
    1. Draw the grid under each color of light, notating each colored square as a number depending on how it appears under that light. Usually this results in a series of 1's and 2's for white- and black-appearing squares.

2. Based on the possible digits for each lighting condition, determine all the possible combinations. For example, a square that is 1 under red, 2 under green, and 1 under blue is notated as 1-2-1.

3. Translate those into letters (all 1-1-1's are A, all 1-1-2's are B, etc.) and re-draw the grid one last time, then chart out how to divide them.

It takes a little time, but it's reliable.

• Options
    I did the village one legit. The one in the bonus area is just an eyesore.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

Do the ones in the village actually DO anything? (Just a yes/no is fine)
    I did those and didn't notice anything changing.

Also, I'm having trouble getting to the area
    in the south-eastish part of the map, between the marsh and the bunker thing.
    I can see from the boat where to go, and I think I know what lies that way, but I have been searching for what feels like hours to find the path to the entrance.

Do I need to go into the top of the mountain for that? Should I keep searching around the border of the marsh for a way in?

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

Do the ones in the village actually DO anything? (Just a yes/no is fine)
    I did those and didn't notice anything changing.

Also, I'm having trouble getting to the area
    in the south-eastish part of the map, between the marsh and the bunker thing.
    I can see from the boat where to go, and I think I know what lies that way, but I have been searching for what feels like hours to find the path to the entrance.

Do I need to go into the top of the mountain for that? Should I keep searching around the border of the marsh for a way in?
    Not sure regarding your first question, but re: the second
    no, there is no way in from the outside. It'll be obvious once you get to it.

• Options
    Thanks.
    I'm at about
    400, +113, +2 and I decided to head into the mountain a little bit ago. Things are pretty interesting, though I really didn't like at least 2 puzzles. They are pretty nauseating.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Wait, where is the challenge area? I've finished all the areas and the "game" I've been going back and trying to get the rest of the +1s

Well, remember
    how you got into the mountain?
    There's more
    to do with that box

Outright:
    Activate all the lasers and look at the bottom of the box, then follow the wire down to the statue working on the panel.

Apparently I have not activated all the lasers? no, I have all the lasers, what am I missing? Oh god I'm an idiot, never mind.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I brought this game to an after school computer club and watching kids figure out the puzzles together and also seeing them discover
    their first +1 (Which I hadn't even found yet!)
    was just really cool. This feels like a game I'd like more teachers to play because of how well it teaches the player new mechanics in such an interesting way.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Finally finished the game and did the challenge area. So that feels really good.

I have 7 2 more puzzles to complete according to my save (one is the color one in the challenge area), but I'm not really sure what other puzzle I could be missing. Any idea where I could maybe look?
    I also need 18 +1s. There are at least 4 that I know where they are, but I don't know how to actually start/finish them. They are:
    Yellow flowers under the awning in the starting area
    And 3 puzzles around the theater

Edit: found a couple things!

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    Finally finished the game and did the challenge area. So that feels really good.

I have 7 2 more puzzles to complete according to my save (one is the color one in the challenge area), but I'm not really sure what other puzzle I could be missing. Any idea where I could maybe look?
    I also need 18 +1s. There are at least 4 that I know where they are, but I don't know how to actually start/finish them. They are:
    Yellow flowers under the awning in the starting area
    And 3 puzzles around the theater

Edit: found a couple things!
    The yellow flowers one was one of my favourite +1's, when I figured out the solution I was grinning like a madman. Solution spoiler:
    I mean, deliberately solving a puzzle incorrectly to solve a +1? Genius!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, that was really neat.

I'm down to just the color puzzle now. The other one was an elevator puzzle that I hadn't done.
    and 12 +1s to go

Edit: I should keep posting... I seem to get puzzle solutions that way ;)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    The other one was an elevator puzzle that I hadn't done.
    ?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The other one was an elevator puzzle that I hadn't done.
    ?

You have to use every panel of a certain elevator at least once.
    Specifically the one in the area before the challenge room; you have to use the one at the top, the one at the bottom, and the one in the elevator.

• Options
    Wow. Day9 solved the bottom floor of the mountain a completely different way than I did. That's pretty cool.

• Options
    What is the final count?

I like to ART
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    What is the final count?
    523 +135 +6, as far as I'm aware.

I've been thinking about my final two off and on, and I just can't come up with anything other than
    (about the two on the mountain/jungle pillar pointing at the beach but also end game spoilers and some stuff that is used in other +1s)
    triggering/tracking the boat from the secret area while it goes between the beach and village harbors after sending it around the island.

And I was about to talk about how that shouldn't work either because the boat will turn but I think there might be an end on one side of the boat, and the start on the front is out of the water (unlike the back) so the reflection will count separately.

Ffffffff I don't want to do this, somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone cares about this game anymore, but this video has a really good interview with Jonathan Blow, and some of the footage from the game has some neat perspectives/views I never saw.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Just started playing this it started OK, but after the 50th maze "puzzle" it's already starting to get old. I hope they stop soon.

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Just started playing this it started OK, but after the 50th maze "puzzle" it's already starting to get old. I hope they stop soon.

If you're sick of the maze puzzles then there is probably no point in continuing, that's what this game is about, it's nothing but variations on the same puzzle theme.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, the details of how each type of puzzle works are pretty varied, but the entire thing is all about those grids.

Also I'm not sure why you put quotes around puzzle, since they are about as textbook definition of puzzle as you can get.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Suppose this is what I get for not looking into the game. I'm not thinking about anything here, just trying different paths until one works. And then hiding part of the maze to make it harder isn't fun, just annoying.

I was hoping for riddles, hidden objects, etc. More like Myst or something. Thanks for the replies, anyway!

Onto Icewind Dale! Even more late to the party on that!

• Options
    Suppose this is what I get for not looking into the game. I'm not thinking about anything here, just trying different paths until one works.
    I can see how that would make the game frustrating. It's not really how things are supposed to work...

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Suppose this is what I get for not looking into the game. I'm not thinking about anything here, just trying different paths until one works. And then hiding part of the maze to make it harder isn't fun, just annoying.

I was hoping for riddles, hidden objects, etc. More like Myst or something. Thanks for the replies, anyway!

Onto Icewind Dale! Even more late to the party on that!

Well... there are hidden objects.
    Have you seen how the mermaid's hair blows in the wind?

And the puzzles are riddles.
    You should be able to tell whether your solution would work or not before even drawing the line.
    At least, after you've completed the appropriate training sequence and so long as you're not in the forest.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the line-drawing is just your proof of concept. It's confirming a theory that you've already sat down and thought about. Random squiggles will just get you nowhere, very slowly.

QPPHj1J.jpg