As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Evolution

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Evolution

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    JefferJJefferJ Registered User new member
    edited April 2017
    I appreciate the idea of what you guys did with the framing in the middle, but it almost looks like a mistake and threw me off at first. Maybe consider some sketchiness to the edges of the black or something so it looks more intentional?

JefferJ on
  • Options
    zethololozethololo Registered User regular
    it actually looked worse than what you drawn now, Mike :D

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Oh god it's been almost twenty years wtf

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Totally thought some super old comic got commented on at first. This is excellent.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Looks like Gabe ate too much queso!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    JefferJ wrote: »
    I appreciate the idea of what you guys did with the framing in the middle, but it almost looks like a mistake and threw me off at first. Maybe consider some sketchiness to the edges of the black or something so it looks more intentional?
    But... the borders weren't sketchy back then.

• Options
    JefferJJefferJ Registered User new member
    JefferJ wrote: »
    But... the borders weren't sketchy back then.

I'm not saying the borders should be sketchy. The black to white changeover is what I was referring to.

• Options
    bbullockbbullock Registered User regular
    Interesting that the middle panel is a clear effort by Mr. Krahulik to copy his original style, but also is clearly discernible from it. See here for the very first comic: https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1998/11/18

• Options
    FuzFuz Registered User regular
    His har were better without that giant, ridiculous tuft of hair.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Tycho is a perfect gentleman, hold his hair, caressing his back. Giving him sweet encouragements.

Tucking him in, reading him a bedtime story. Going in for a kiss. But it is forbidden.

• Options
    Giancarlo MagnoGiancarlo Magno Registered User regular
    Yeah, losing a finger in each hand is really gross.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I think this is going to be one of my favorites.

zepherin wrote: »
    Tycho is a perfect gentleman, hold his hair, caressing his back. Giving him sweet encouragements.

Tucking him in, reading him a bedtime story. Going in for a kiss. But it is forbidden.

He sang to him once when he was sick.

bbullock wrote: »
    Interesting that the middle panel is a clear effort by Mr. Krahulik to copy his original style, but also is clearly discernible from it. See here for the very first comic: https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1998/11/18

Agreed, though it's from a bit further along.

214657746_UtaQF-2100x20000.jpg

People gripe about Mike changing the art style, but he did it a LOT in a very short time back in the early days as well.

• Options
    rob0tman5rob0tman5 PC Gamer/Console Gamer CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well that was funny.

NintendoSwitch Friend Code: 4016-9569-1601
    Discord:robotman5#0541
    Let me know if you added me!
  • Options
    Hanktheguy Hanktheguy Registered User regular
    Went back to far eh

• Options
    I find it extra delicious that a panel with a throwback to the old art is immediately followed by Banana Fingers.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Oh god it's been almost twenty years wtf

I'm sure they have nearly the same feeling

• Options
    TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I always think about Gabe's art and how long it took to get good whenever he's shitting all over people's games in the First 15s :)

I like his art though. And the First 15s. And all the shit.

Translucia on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Also, I wonder if he would have ever gotten this good if Tycho wouldn't had been there to "never make value judgments" and "like everything," find all the good and all that, etc

Translucia on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Chang wrote: »
    Hey thanks, I'm glad you thought so.

You can earn some bonus points for complaining about 'satanic influence'.

• Options
    I thought it was "Eldritch" influence. Like, the Old Ones... Or maybe that wasn't a complaint. We're having fun.

• Options
    Translucia wrote: »
    I always think about Gabe's art and how long it took to get good whenever he's shitting all over people's games in the First 15s :)

Mikes repeated the statement that he doesn't in any way blame the person who makes the games, he blames Sony for letting them onto a console before they are a "complete package" in his eyes. That's not to justify it, just to round out the image you're giving.

It's also a recurrent theme that Mike knows that he's a weirdo and things that are important to him are just as bullshit as the things he thinks are bullshit even though other people like them. See also:
    i-ML8zCGm-2100x20000.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I agree and that's true, but I think he also labeled *everything* on Steam some kind horrible thing at least once. No big deal.. I think it's decent recompense that he's actually made to draw that kind of self-deprecating stuff on a regular basis. Like this last one:

i-rDswvPt-2100x20000.jpg

Translucia on
  • Options
    Translucia wrote: »
    I agree and that's true, but I think he also labeled *everything* on Steam some kind horrible thing at least once. No big deal.. I think it's decent recompense that he's actually made to draw that kind of self-deprecating stuff on a regular basis. Like this last one:

I think it's possible he sometimes engages in hyperbole. X)

I try to keep the perspective that if it wasn't for his personality quirks (and god knows we each have our own unique ones), a lot of the humor that makes PA the comic that it is wouldn't be there. Gabe isn't just a wacky character made up from scratch. First 15 and DLC are just a peek behind the curtain.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Even the middle panel is too complex for the old style - too many extra lines.
    Was the "if Duke Nukem ever comes out" comic just a copy, or trace, of an original panel rather than a redraw? Because that really did look perfect.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Even the middle panel is too complex for the old style - too many extra lines.
    Was the "if Duke Nukem ever comes out" comic just a copy, or trace, of an original panel rather than a redraw? Because that really did look perfect.

For reference, this is the Duke Nukem comic.
    998614351_Qx65i-2100x20000.jpg

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And that was seven years ago, dang.
    You can see in the last panel how Mike's style has continued to, ah, change.

• Options
    They revealed it at my first PAX. I saw the booth on Friday, but I could not conceive of a world with a release DNF, so I assumed it was some kind of museum/tribute to the game.

• Options
    sandalwoodsandalwood Cartoonist New YorkRegistered User regular
    Hahahaha, YES!

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    It's weird-I don't look back on my old art and cringe. In fact looking back makes me smile yet when it comes to my writing I hate doing that. All I see are the mistakes. Maybe it's because I tend to enjoy art more even though I do that less and write more. Both take a similar amount of effort yet I tend to have more 'fun' doing art. Writing is work. But I also get bored doing both.

I dunno. Being creative is so confusing, Mostly I just wish I had the energy and focus to do ANYthing creative. My health ain't what it used to be and it makes it so it's rare I draw or write at all.

• Options
    Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    Is it me or does Gabe seem to have an extra finger on his right hand in the third panel?

• Options
    Jakk Frost wrote: »
    Is it me or does Gabe seem to have an extra finger on his right hand in the third panel?

It's just you, because nobody else was out there counting fingers.

Serious answer: it's just the toilet boil showing between his ring and pinky fingers.

I'm going to just skip over the change from 5 to 4 to 5 digits.

• Options
    edited April 2017

I count 5 fingers (the normal number), but there is definitely color between the pinky and ring fingers, so I think it's just an art goof.
    pcpzz0n302xx.png

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I count 5 fingers (the normal number), but there is definitely color between the pinky and ring fingers, so I think it's just an art goof.
    pcpzz0n302xx.png

Huh. I had to go back to the original comic and zoom it to believe your image. For whatever reason, my brain is filling in that space with toilet boil color, when seen at normal scale. Probably the same with Mike.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Wait, this WonderBoy remake is on the Switch? YES. YES I WANTED TO PLAY IT SO BAD. YES.

• Options
    Twenty six fucking dollars?!

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Twenty six fucking dollars?!

Does this one go with Snake Pass and Snipperclips as "some of the best games on the system that don't get to considered 'real games'"? I mean, not that I'm complaining that they're priced lower than "real games"...

• Options
    I don't know, it's a reskin of a game that I bought when I was five. I think that charging the same amount for it as some new indie games on Steam is a little much.

• Options
    dennis wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »

pcpzz0n302xx.png

Huh. I had to go back to the original comic and zoom it to believe your image. For whatever reason, my brain is filling in that space with toilet boil color, when seen at normal scale. Probably the same with Mike.

I used the Club PA high-res version. I really only use it for these "look at that weird detail" conversations.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I don't know, it's a reskin of a game that I bought when I was five. I think that charging the same amount for it as some new indie games on Steam is a little much.

I'm not really in the games dev industry, so what I'm saying may be completely off-base. But I am a programmer, so at least there's that. I'd say even if it's a "reskin", they probably wrote the code from scratch (different platforms, and all). It being a reskin might actually make that worse, since you have to have your code match that original's timing near-perfectly rather than just have it do its own thing. So you got your man-hours in that.

Plus they had to get it working and tested on PC and a bunch of consoles. And I think they have to pay licensing fees to get on the consoles. If it has the polish of a new game, I can see $26 being a very fair price. It's not like the people developing it now got all the money from the version you paid for when you were five.

• Options
    You're welcome to buy it for yourself then. For me, twenty six dollars is far too high for a game that only has nostalgia to offer.