As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Games! A Realm Full of Gamma-Goblins and Secret Hitlers

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Why don't we both play casters and we can forever struggle for who is the best magic person?

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    could pick a different power source (like divine or primal) and we bicker about how the other's is a dumb magic for idiots.

edited April 2017
    I had an idea for a super grimdark goth necromancer wizard but I haven't figured out their motivation yet. But they'd be absolutely dripping with angst.

godmode on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I had an idea for a super grimdark goth necromancer wizard but I haven't figured out their motivation yet. But they'd be absolutely dripping with angst.

obviously their motivation is that nobody gets what they're about.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited April 2017
    I suppose a pertinent question before going further would be what tone are we aiming for? On the Super Serious <---> Super SE++ scale, where are we at?

godmode on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

obviously their motivation is that nobody gets what they're about.

some dead chick put him in the friend zone

i am trying to pick gear, and man, what does a sorcerer even need? don't need armour. already got weapons for when spells aren't working. not really a hat person. and magical items seem to no longer have a price attached to them so i can't even sneak in a belt of giant strength.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i am trying to pick gear, and man, what does a sorcerer even need? don't need armour. already got weapons for when spells aren't working. not really a hat person. and magical items seem to no longer have a price attached to them so i can't even sneak in a belt of giant strength.

components

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

components

the only spells i have that require them don't consume them from use, for an implement removes the need. might be a good idea down the road though.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I suppose a pertinent question before going further would be what tone are we aiming for? On the Super Serious <---> Super SE++ scale, where are we at?

I would describe my character as Shakespearean.

Which is to say, a layer of crowd-pleasing foolish antics and fart jokes, masking some more serious dramatic bedrock (that we may or may not ever actually get to engage with, since it's deep in Convoluted Backstory territory.)

But again, in all my character files, I'm sure I've got someone who will fit whatever other mood you all may want to go for, so no need to tailor your dude to my deal.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Orcpub puts together a respectable character maker that spits out a filled out 5e charsheet as a pdf

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    It won't be super SE wacky, but at the same time I happily play at a kitchen table level of being willing to break the mood whenever.
    Like... Rat Queens style shenanigans is about where my games end up a lot of the time.

For gear, healing potions and antidotes are super rad to have handy, otherwise just hog your Gs for the tavern!

oh hey, i found the chart for prices of magic items.

how much is a healing potion, and can i buy other magical items?

Healing potions are 50 apiece for the basic ones. You can maybe get a low-tier uncommon item for your 500gp, depends on what you want.

Rainfall wrote: »
    Healing potions are 50 apiece for the basic ones. You can maybe get a low-tier uncommon item for your 500gp, depends on what you want.

fifty works, and also, i think i'm going to get a dog instead. dogs are better than a +1 sword.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Not sure what edition you are playing Melding but scrolls and wands are usually a great gold sink for spellcasters in D&D.

Dogs are awesome get a dog.

5th edition, where most of that stuff is pretty cost at third level.

Also, the sheet i am using doesn't have a place to list mounts and the animal companion field doesn't have any spaces in it.

poop.

I will need to figure out where to put that information.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    In a recent session our DM decided to care about encumbrance. A character with 10 Strength can only carry 50 lbs until their movement is restricted. Did you know that the Explorer's pack that most classes start with weighs 59 lbs. Not to mention all the armor and weapons adventures lug around.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    In a recent session our DM decided to care about encumbrance. A character with 10 Strength can only carry 50 lbs until their movement is restricted. Did you know that the Explorer's pack that most classes start with weighs 59 lbs. Not to mention all the armor and weapons adventures lug around.

For DnD 5E your carrying capacity is your strength score times 15?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Quick, before the thread closes, someone tell me how to be more effective as a Lvl 5 War Priest in D&D 5.0.

I need to do more damage!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Dogs are awesome get a dog.

Get a dog for your dog

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Has anyone here DM'd OOTA before?? I'm DMing for the first time next month and am realizing I've picked a tricky one!! Hoping to find a good youtube video series to watch or something as a primer in addition to all the research I'm doing.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I have a pathfinder character who is a giant Orang-Utang (12feet tall)

In two levels he will learn how to wear magic helmets, at which point I will give him a Helm of the Mammoth Lord, which will give him Mammoth Tusks to attack with.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

If they're using the Optional Encumbrance Rules they break it down into brackets of Unencumbered (<=Str*5), Encumbered (<=Str*10), and Heavily Encumbered (<=Str*15) with a loss of 10ft of movement at each step up.

If the DM is being a stickler you can sub out silk rope for the hemp rope for a 5 lbs saving and ditch half the torches and rations for another 5 lbs each. Also, just drop the pack when combat begins unless they're ALSO being a stickler about item interactions.

edited April 2017
    I'm an elf and only need a 4 hour trance instead of sleep. So I tossed the bedroll as well since it saves like 7lbs of weight. Also darkvision so what do I need torches for haha

I tried to argue that o do not know how much a pound weighs since this fictional world clearly didn't develop the same unit measurement standards that we have but the DM didn't​let that fly

Snowbear on
    8EVmPzM.jpg
    I'm an elf and only need a 4 hour trance instead of sleep. So I tossed the bedroll as well since it saves like 7lbs of weight. Also darkvision so what do I need torches for haha

I tried to argue that o do not know how much a pound weighs since this fictional world clearly didn't develop the same unit measurement standards that we have but the DM didn't​let that fly

I'd keep a torch or two just for utility and any situations where you're in actual darkness and didn't want the disadvantage on Perception checks.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Does he know he's using the optional variant rule?

The standard is what Zonugal said

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

If they're using the Optional Encumbrance Rules they break it down into brackets of Unencumbered (<=Str*5), Encumbered (<=Str*10), and Heavily Encumbered (<=Str*15) with a loss of 10ft of movement at each step up.

If the DM is being a stickler you can sub out silk rope for the hemp rope for a 5 lbs saving and ditch half the torches and rations for another 5 lbs each. Also, just drop the pack when combat begins unless they're ALSO being a stickler about item interactions.

My D&D 3rd ed Halfling had a breakaway backpack for this very purpose

My Dark Heresy character was on the receiving end of some nasty mutations which meant that until I leveled up he would pass out from exhaustion if he carried his standard gear for more than an hour

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Yeah he knows we're using variant rules. He came up with his own crafting rules so I guess he's trying to be even crunchier with his rules. Which is pretty much the opposite of what I'd like to game to steer towards

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Wait a minute, this ain't 1999

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

My Dark Heresy character was on the receiving end of some nasty mutations which meant that until I leveled up he would pass out from exhaustion if he carried his standard gear for more than an hour

That's actually kind of amazing that he was able to work himself to exhaustion in only an hour.

Most people can not pick up and hold an object that will cause them to pass out from exhaustion if they carry it for an hour.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

That's actually kind of amazing that he was able to work himself to exhaustion in only an hour.

Most people can not pick up and hold an object that will cause them to pass out from exhaustion if they carry it for an hour.

The joys of having 17 toughness in a percentile system.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My pathfinder Arcanist had 29lbs of gear and could carry 30lbs as light load. It was a running joke that accepting a sandwich was enough to make him tired.
    Though we play 95% on the honor system anyway, you're supposed to get it order before the session and then it's not mentioned until you start to do dumb stunts.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I've made a Patrician character and the party is going to meet him fairly early. The real question is do I make him the big bad (a god killing magic planar energy syphoning lich) or do I just make him the top dog of the material level of this construct.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfUqBf4sag

there is a big piece of paper that says YOU DIED as soon as you open the box

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Details of how unit profiles in the new edition of 40K will look have been released:

dmo67igzs1nj.jpg

p8ut74ojulfs.jpg

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/25/warhammer-40000-unit-profiles/

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well that's refreshing and interesting as they got rid of initiative and kept it really easy to understand

Quick, before the thread closes, someone tell me how to be more effective as a Lvl 5 War Priest in D&D 5.0.

I need to do more damage!

Level?

This discussion has been closed.