As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Games! A Realm Full of Gamma-Goblins and Secret Hitlers

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    roll better

• ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    Quick, before the thread closes, someone tell me how to be more effective as a Lvl 5 War Priest in D&D 5.0.

I need to do more damage!

Ways to deal more damage as a warpriest:

-Take the feat Great Weapon Master (use a two-handed weapon if you are not already doing so)
    -Don't compare yourself to fighters at this level; fighter-types get Extra Attack at level 5, but you don't get Divine Strike until level 8. 5-7, warpriests just have noticeably less melee strength than fighter-types.
    -Your best damage-boosting spells at each level you have access to are:
    Level 1: Bless, Guiding Bolt
    Level 2: Hold Person, Spiritual Weapon
    Level 3: Spirit Guardians (which actually is the only damage-dealing or enhancing 3rd level spell on the cleric list)

Other than that, it's basically just 'have a high Strength and hit people with it'.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Generic cleric damage answer is Spirit Weapon when you get 2nd level spells and to combo it with Spiritual Guardians when you get 3rd level spells. Then you either wack em with your weapon of choice or use Sacred Flame. Hand of Radiance and Toll the Dead cantrips from the recent UA: Starter Spells are both noteworthy options too if your DM allows them.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfUqBf4sag

there is a big piece of paper that says YOU DIED as soon as you open the box

I'm surprised this sounds so good.

Holy shit 95 dollars!?

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Quick, before the thread closes, someone tell me how to be more effective as a Lvl 5 War Priest in D&D 5.0.

I need to do more damage!

As a War Domain Cleric? Probably the simplest shortcut to a damage boost would be to make your next two levels Fighter, for a Fighting Style (Great Weapon Fighter + a Greatsword is solid, or Dueling with a Sword/Axe/Hammer & Sheild), and Action Surge. The only Feat I'd suggest any rush in acquiring is War Caster, but that won't directly boost your damage. For everything else, raising your Wisdom score will be a higher priority early on unless you lean heavily enough into multiclassing that you're not really a Cleric primarily any more.

As far as spells available at your level, If you're not using your Bonus Action regularly, Spiritual Weapon is pretty cool. Spirit Guardians is also pretty solid damage boost, although it is a Concentration spell, and the field of effect is centered on you so it's best if you're already in melee. And if you've got a lot of buddies who like to move into melee near you, and don't mind boosting damage by buffing allies instead of boosting your personal output, Crusader's Mantle isn't bad (also Concentration though, and Spirit Guardians is better). Bonus that these are all included in your War Domain spell list, so you don't have to pick them for your daily spell list.

Also pay attention for enemies who look like they have a high AC but a crappy Dexterity Save and/or Vulnerability to Radiant Damage, and switch from weapon attacks to hurling the old Sacred Flame cantrip.

The only other good trick I can think of off the top of my head is to maybe see how your Deity (and your other party members) feel about Animate Dead? I could see an angle for a War God to allow honored warriors to continue to serve beyond death, but it may be a tough sell. It could be cool if you stack some other buffs on your undead buddies... but it would generally be better to just use the same buffs on other PCs. This is really a weird edge case already, it's just the only easy way for a Cleric to get "pets" at this level.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I should really try 5th edition one of these days

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    @Rainfall

If there's still room for that group I'd like to volunteer. All this talk of war clerics has got me hankering to make one myself.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So what prestige class is this thread taking?

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfUqBf4sag

there is a big piece of paper that says YOU DIED as soon as you open the box

I'm surprised this sounds so good.

Holy shit 95 dollars!?

The absolute worst part is that they were selling it for that price with all of the extra content included. And I was dead broke each time it was available. I'm super bummed about it now, but whatever. The game is only four players, and our weekly game nights typically have five or six. But still ... it stings.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    @Rainfall

If there's still room for that group I'd like to volunteer. All this talk of war clerics has got me hankering to make one myself.

Sure, why not?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

As someone who has recently gotten into it, it's good stuff!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular

if only there was an open game, starting up, right now.

edited April 2017

Go for it! Make a Halfling Archery Rogue and you can ride my Half-Orc like a war elephant! And then no one will be able to prosecute us for our crimes, because all of the victims will be describing a Two-Headed Half-Half-Orc-Half-Halfling, when we are clearly (while out of battle mode) two discrete individuals, officers, but we can see where the confusion came from, that wanted poster is sexy as hell and it's flattering you would see it and think of either of us.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

who's all in it

meeting new people is stressful and I want to minimize it

Miss me? Find me on:

who's all in it

me, hanged man, godmode, rainfall, and i think we picked up someone else up?

Not a bad group really. outside of godmode.

I have it on good authority that Godmode is only secretly Hitler.

hey now, i'm not about to call godmode hitler.

He's more like Urkel.

Yeah, and that's how he keeps winning that game.

Yeah, and that's how he keeps winning that game.

and i keep saying it would be a better game if it was a double bluff and no one is hitler.

who's all in it

And me, trying to bash the Doctrine of St. Cuthbert into friend and foe alike!

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've heard of people accidentally stuffing up the dealing in Secret Hitler and playing a Liberal only game. The fascists still won.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I've heard of people accidentally stuffing up the dealing in Secret Hitler and playing a Liberal only game. The fascists still won.

Makes sense.

The way the policy deck works, that sounds theoretically possible, although unlikely.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    All you really need is a healthy dose of paranoia and bad luck. I know in games I've played that I'm more likely to be accused when I'm playing a liberal, simply because my protestations of innocence are more emphatic. Then I hate the person who accused me, they hate me, and the game goes... poorly for the liberals. I assume that an all liberal game would be that but for everyone.

All you really need is a healthy dose of paranoia and bad luck. I know in games I've played that I'm more likely to be accused when I'm playing a liberal, simply because my protestations of innocence are more emphatic. Then I hate the person who accused me, they hate me, and the game goes... poorly for the liberals. I assume that an all liberal game would be that but for everyone.

All it takes is one or two times where both of the draws are fascist cards and the others don't want to believe one (or both) of the players who insist that there was no good choice.

who's all in it

oh hey, I actually know all of those people

what a nice fucking change

well, I'm PRETTY SURE I know hanged man
    I might be mistaken there

Miss me? Find me on:

well, you only know him until we fail to figure out what _____F__l R___M _B__ is.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Yo Dubh you should totally join.

Also nobody else because 5 people is really the max for 5E before it gets dumb.

who's all in it

Don't think we've met in person, but we've talked about stuff plenty, yeah.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Yo Dubh you should totally join.

Also nobody else because 5 people is really the max for 5E before it gets dumb.

This is accurate.

But if someone else in the future does a SE++ 5E game on a weeknight, I'm all about that.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Volo's has dinosaurs.

what's the over under on us fighting a dinosaur?

They're called behemoths.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They're called behemoths.

not in 5e

straight up dinosaurs.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

who's all in it

I've met Hanged Man in person, and he's delightful

IKknkhU.gif
    but can see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

mummy rays

or sugar

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

mummy rays

or sugar

it's both actually.

no one has ever gotten it right before. they all bought the lies.

I

I'm ruined.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry I ruined your upcoming thread about the applications of mummy rays, Melding

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    better than daddy rays

also known as 'cummy rays'

Miss me? Find me on:

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I have it on good authority that Godmode is only secretly Hitler.

The fact that you always try and convince everyone that I'm hitler must mean that it is you who is the hitler. Where's Tube, he'll back me up on this.

This discussion has been closed.