As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bumper Stickers - Am I the only one annoyed by these?

1235»

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    What I'm basically saying is this:

Assholes exist. Because assholes exist, voicing certain opinions by way of bumper stickers is going to result in said assholes doing unfortunate things to your car. Given that this is the case, I don't quite understand the mindset that decides that getting one's car keyed or battered is an acceptable price to pay for the ability to stick retarded soundbites all over your car. Also, people who act genuinely surprised when it happens are sort of dumb.

See, you're putting words in my mouth when you claim I'm painting this as a valid expected cost. It's not valid at all, but it's certainly expected. Being indignant about the fact doesn't make it less expected. I'm not saying the owner of car deserves anything, I'm not saying vandalism is right.

I also think it's sort of cheap to require that one explicitly claim sympathy for people when point out that their actions will have expected consequences. One shouldn't need to qualify oneself when stating a fairly obvious fact.

They should expect it, they should know better, they did it anyway. You have the right to free speech provided you're not stupid enough to actually try it. That response to bumper-stickers is no less retarded than whoever it was earlier saying that they feel justified in assaulting someone over a bumper-sticker. And you are stating the expectation as valid, particularly where you go into a miniparagraph specifically to validate that expectation. You're not validating the vandalism, but you're absolutely validating the expectation that if you voice an opinion you will become a victim of a crime.

So I guess you don't ever lock your doors then.

Only to indicate I'm not home. I'm not pretending that's going to stop anyone from breaking in if they want to.

O_o

I don't know anybody who determines whether somebody is home by testing the lock.

Edit: Never mind, this is clearly futile, since you refuse to acknowledge the actual argument in favor of the one you think everybody's making.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh the doors on my car? I rarely lock car-doors and if it's not freezing or precipitating outside I rarely roll up the driver-side window. If someone wants in they're going to get in regardless.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    But seriously whenever someone has tried to brag to me about vandalizing a car they have defended their actions stating that the victim should have expected it because they said or did this or that or drove this kind of car to that sort of event or parked on the street in Columbus the night after a particular football game.

That's because they are idiots. But you knew that already.

Yes, the problem is that you're agreeing with them. I mean it's going to happen, if they didn't do it someone else would have.

Man what? When did I agree with them? I did mention that you were coming of as a sniveling crybaby about it, but that's different than suggesting that they were somehow justified.

Doc on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Only to indicate I'm not home. I'm not pretending that's going to stop anyone from breaking in if they want to.

Fun fact: Someone tried to break into my old house again after we'd already moved out. I discovered this when I went back to collect some of our remaining stuff. The door was cracked and the frame was jacked up from them stomping the fuck out of the door, but the lock held. I was rather happy at this, even though there was nothing in the house at the time. And I didn't care much about the door, since it's the bank's house now.

The moral is that yes, locking your door will keep people out. Yeah, sure, if they really want into your car or house that bad they will, but most people look for an easy target. Every little thing you do to make it less convenient to rob you can help.

And this is off-topic.

Bumper stickers.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Edit: Never mind, this is clearly futile, since you refuse to acknowledge the actual argument in favor of the one you think everybody's making.

Yeah, I couldn't possibly be trying to argue that there are implications to the actual argument that are being disregarded, I'm calling all of you vandals. Doc I demand that you pay for the window that you broke when you stole my buddy's stereo.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh the doors on my car? I rarely lock car-doors and if it's not freezing or precipitating outside I rarely roll up the driver-side window. If someone wants in they're going to get in regardless.

Wrong. If somebody wants to break into a car they're probably going to do so regardless. What you're doing is, through your actions/inactions, ensuring that they're more likely to make that car your car.

Much the same way that some people are willing to vandalize other people's property regardless. And by putting a bumper sticker that indicates you are a douchebag (or possibly somebody despised among local culture) on your care you are, once again, increasing the odds that that car will be yours.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Wrong. If somebody wants to break into a car they're probably going to do so regardless. What you're doing is, through your actions/inactions, ensuring that they're more likely to make that car your car.

Much the same way that some people are willing to vandalize other people's property regardless. And by putting a bumper sticker that indicates you are a douchebag (or possibly somebody despised among local culture) on your care you are, once again, increasing the odds that that car will be yours.
    Zing! My dad uses a Club on his car. Not because he thinks it stops thieves but because it makes his car less appealing. Why take the one with the Club when one without one is probably nearby?

Also, what I came here for.
    Won't it be nice when one day the schools have everything they need and the Air Force will have to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber?
    NO you dumb fuck.

Satan. on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My favorite that I see nearly every day (they tend to park right in front of my dorm at school):
    I Hated Bush Before Hating Bush Was Popular

Though really, it's the combination of that with veteran plates, a yellow ribbon, and a couple other service-related stickers that amuses me.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Maybe they'll steal all the empty water-bottles and fast-food wrappers so I don't have to clean them out myself.

ViolentChemistry on