As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: Ode to Joycon

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Went to buy some eShop credit for Mario Kart, but the store I went to only had 25€ cards in stock. Bought two of them and I'm gonna try and hit up some more stores tomorrow in hopes of finding a 15€ card.

There really should be a 60€ card, since that's what most first-party games cost.

There could also be a game-specific card for high profile games you want digitally instead.

Like, they could afford to have a switch, mario kart, splatoon, minecraft, etc. card on the shelf that you can buy and enter the code to own.

I think they actually do that in Japan for some games.

Yup. Digital purchases in Japan are a bit odd since it's relatively difficult to get a debit/credit card over there, so they'll just sell codes for games in stores alongside the points cards since it's basically the same.

Everyone in America and Europe use cards, so we don't need prepaid cards nearly as much.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Went to buy some eShop credit for Mario Kart, but the store I went to only had 25€ cards in stock. Bought two of them and I'm gonna try and hit up some more stores tomorrow in hopes of finding a 15€ card.

There really should be a 60€ card, since that's what most first-party games cost.

There could also be a game-specific card for high profile games you want digitally instead.

Like, they could afford to have a switch, mario kart, splatoon, minecraft, etc. card on the shelf that you can buy and enter the code to own.

Yup. Digital purchases in Japan are a bit odd since it's relatively difficult to get a debit/credit card over there, so they'll just sell codes for games in stores alongside the points cards since it's basically the same.

Everyone in America and Europe use cards, so we don't need prepaid cards nearly as much.

This whole exchange confuses me. The Walmart I work at has card for all the new releases for Microsoft and Sony consoles. Not only the releases themselves, but the digital deluxe versions and any season passes. And people (mainly kids) use cash on them constantly

No I don't.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Been a while since I played a puzzle game with a story mode. Let's calm down this hysterical person by...challenging them to a tetris battle!

I will not accept any badmouthing of the Shakespearian writing that is the Puyo Puyo Tetris story.

C-Wawd-VoAAH7vp.jpg
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Interesting note: This combination is impossible in modern Tetris games, including Puyo Puyo Tetris. The way it works is that blocks are given to you in sets of 7, with each of the unique pieces being part of the set of 7. However, the order in which those 7 pieces are given to you is randomized. Therefore, it's impossible to go that long without seeing a line block, or getting 3, much less 4, in a row like that.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

Interesting note: This combination is impossible in modern Tetris games, including Puyo Puyo Tetris. The way it works is that blocks are given to you in sets of 7, with each of the unique pieces being part of the set of 7. However, the order in which those 7 pieces are given to you is randomized. Therefore, it's impossible to go that long without seeing a line block, or getting 3, much less 4, in a row like that.

While that is certainly more fair, it takes away the thrill and horror of not getting a Line Piece on time. Same thing with storing blocks.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't realize modern Tetris was like that...that's kind of lame. I bet top players memorize probabilities of what might be coming next, like counting cards...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I'm just starting to learn t-spins. Triples still completely elude me

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    That is why modern Tetris did not feel the same as I remembered it.

I always wondered what they changed. I preferred it the old way.

Give me the days when I would get caught in an endless cycle of l shapes and zig-zags any day.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    -Abel--Abel- Registered User regular
    I had no idea that was the case for Tetris now. That is kind of lame. I remember going ages without the lines as a kid.

• Options
    There should just be an optional "Classic" mode where there is no storing pieces and the drops are randomized. Everyone likes more modes, right?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jsvgokC9o

The Sega channel has a bunch of tutorial videos about PPT.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    that Sega yell is so annoying

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
      There should just be an optional "Classic" mode where there is no storing pieces and the drops are randomized. Everyone likes more modes, right?

I love that the thread never even thought to wonder if there was a system, but in the span of a few hours we've become nostalgic for a simpler time. Pepperidge Farm remembers.

What is this I don't even.
    • Options
      MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
      azith28 wrote: »
      urahonky wrote: »
      Dirty wrote: »
      Been a while since I played a puzzle game with a story mode. Let's calm down this hysterical person by...challenging them to a tetris battle!

I haff tvelve metchsteek!

Fuck you!

To proceed with your fucking, you will need to solve this puzzle.

Steam: Cilantr0
      3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    • Options
      Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I will not accept any badmouthing of the Shakespearian writing that is the Puyo Puyo Tetris story.

C-Wawd-VoAAH7vp.jpg

Hence why I was able to get to level 13last night with 5 Tetris in a row,where with the game boy version I struggle to get anywhere near that.

There's much more empathis on the frantic speed part of the game in modern versions.

• Options
      jothkijothki Registered User regular
      I probably wouldn't purchase a Puyo Puyo game. I haven't felt a need to own a Tetris game since the Game Boy. Is Puyo Puyo Tetris significantly greater than the sum of its parts?

• Options
      un_run_r San DiegoRegistered User regular
      Wow that explains why I wasn't feeling at home with newer versions. I've been playing the Gameboy version of Tetris for almost 28 years, every other version feels wrong.

3DS : 1048-8983-0850
    • Options
      DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
      jothki wrote: »
      I probably wouldn't purchase a Puyo Puyo game. I haven't felt a need to own a Tetris game since the Game Boy. Is Puyo Puyo Tetris significantly greater than the sum of its parts?

I've had a blast playing it on the couch with my wife. If you had no couch game opportunities, I don't think it'd be as good.

What is this I don't even.
    • Options
      edited April 2017
      It's always been a hard sell for me because Tetris is one of a programmer's first demo games on any given platform. It doesn't feel terribly complicated or meaty. The DS one was the only one I felt was worth it due to the Smash Bros. type skinning they did, and all the different varieties of Tetris there.

UncleSporky on
    • Options
      SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
      I've played a version of tetris somebody made that was specifically designed to always give you the least useful piece. You would end up getting a lot of squiggles, often many in a row. You really had to know what you were doing to not lose almost immediately.

sig.gif
    • Options
      DracilDracil Registered User regular
      edited April 2017
      Dracil wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jsvgokC9o

The Sega channel has a bunch of tutorial videos about PPT.

Oh, just realized the guy in these videos is actually S2PID/S2LSOFTENER. I've watched his twitch and he's in the PPT discord channel too. Good on Sega getting one of their biggest/best fans to make the official tutorial videos! (He has a 9999 rating in ranked)

Dracil on
      3DS: 2105-8644-6304
      Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
      MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      edited April 2017
      Nintendo's fiscal year results meeting just ended. Summary: they're fucking doomed.

Full overview:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170427e.pdf

Million sellers and launch schedule:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170427_6e.pdf

2.74 Switch systems sold worldwide so far (as of March 31st), BotW on Switch 2.76 million, BotW Switch + Wii U 3.84 million

Total Switch software sales at 5.46 million

Forecast for Switch sales for the next fiscal year: 10 million hardware, 35 million software

Forecast for 3DS sales for the next fiscal year: 6 million hardware, 40 million software (those numbers likely indicate that something major, like a new Pokemon game, is coming to the 3DS, but not the Switch)

Some other news from the meeting:

Maz- on
      Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      edited April 2017

There is a code to disable the storing of pieces.

To enable it, first you take the button used to store pieces. Then, you don't press that button.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
      qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Options

There is a code to disable the storing of pieces.

To enable it, first you take the button used to store pieces. Then, you don't press that button.

If a classic mode were implemented with random drops, no infinite spins, maybe only showing the next upcoming piece and not the next 3, I would also expect them to disable storing a piece as well. When we're talking about a separate mode it's not a matter of "just don't use it," because the mode would limit that along with everything else.

Like saying "just don't save the game when you're not at a bed" in Fallout 4, except they incorporated that into survival mode so you don't have to think about it. Sometimes it's ok to have things enforced.

• Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      IGN noted that if Switch sales meet the forecast, the system will outsell the entire run of Wii U in a little over a year.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
      I do this with every Amazon release and it always ends up ok.... But I'm nervous they're showing Mario Kart shipping on Monday.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    • Options
      SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      Figgy wrote: »
      I do this with every Amazon release and it always ends up ok.... But I'm nervous they're showing Mario Kart shipping on Monday.

Mine shows delivery by 8pm tomorrow and "shipping soon"

• Options
      BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      That news about Mario Run versus FE is sad, but not surprising given the environment of mobile. Guess I can write off any future games like Mario Run and more FE type games from Nintendo.

On related news. Thanks to all of you here in this thread I went and bought Puyo Puyo Tetris because I love Tetris and figured having Puyo Puyo is just an added bonus. Plus I figured that it would be nice to have another Switch game to play once it arrives (not like Mario Kart and Zelda are more than enough).

Now I can't wait for it to arrive.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
    • Options
      urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
      Betsuni wrote: »
      That news about Mario Run versus FE is sad, but not surprising given the environment of mobile. Guess I can write off any future games like Mario Run and more FE type games from Nintendo.

Yeah it kinda proves the point that normal games don't really pull in any money on mobile. You have to make it free/gacha in order to rake in the money.

• Options
      edited April 2017
      At $9.99, Mario was basically dead in the water. Probably should have aimed for $4.99 instead. Some people have this weird mindset that phone games shouldn't be more than $0.99, yet Will buy $49.99 in "gems" (Best Value!") in a FTP game. I've never understood it.

MNC Dover on
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
      maybe if they had charged 2 or 3 dollars instead of 10 for the 2 or 3 dollars worth of content in mario run more people would have bought it?

• Options
      KPCKPC Registered User regular
      At $9.99, Mario was basically dead in the water. Probably should have aimed for $4.99 instead. Some people have this weird mindset that phone games shouldn't be more than $0.99, yet Will buy $49.99 in "gems" (Best Value!") in a FTP game. I've never understood it.

It's different because one is a buy based on either word-of-mouth or a short experience with a demo, and the other is under the lure of addiction. Or maybe they just really enjoy the game!

• Options
      DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
      I would have 100% spent $10 on Mario Run. It's a really well-made game, it looks hella pretty, and it's Mario on my phone.

The problem is, it turned out to not be the game I wanted. It's a platformer that - in the third iteration of each level, at least - requires some ultra-precise jumps, with exact timing, and if you mess up you need to start the level over (because there are only a few uses of rewind per level). I noticed that this was really raising my anxiety level as I played the free levels, and that's not really the experience I want from a mobile game; typically, I want a mobile game to occupy my mind or my hands for a few minutes, and I want it to be a leisurely thing. I don't want to be getting wound up and jumpy on the subway ride home, you know?

It may not surprise you to learn that I find auto-scroll levels the most stressful of all levels.

(I probably should have known that a game made entirely of auto-scroll levels wasn't for me.)

• Options
      SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Yeah it kinda proves the point that normal games don't really pull in any money on mobile. You have to make it free/gacha in order to rake in the money.

I think there are tons of mobile games that don't follow this format that make money.

Of course, the gambling ones make shitloads of money. But that doesn't mean a normal priced game can't do well. Mario Run was very expensive for 10 bucks and didn't grab me at all from the bits I played. A lot of people were lukewarm on it.

Nintendo's mobile efforts have been kinda weird. Miitomo was certainly a strange one. I hope that Animal Crossing game on mobile is great though because that's the perfect format for Animal Crossing.

• Options
      wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
      maybe if they had charged 2 or 3 dollars instead of 10 for the 2 or 3 dollars worth of content in mario run more people would have bought it?

And this right here is the problem with mobile gaming. Because, frankly, that game is worth way more than the $2-3. There are plenty of console games that cost more and have less content/replayability than this $10 mobile game. Mario Run was $13 in Canada and I bought it immediately, and have played it every day since, and it's been well worth it.

Personally, I think what they should have done was charged maybe $2 per world instead of one chunk of $10.

The game is absolutely worth the price, but people have this thing that games on a phone should be free forever and that annoys me.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Captain Obvious here, but if they charged a fifth of the current price, five times as many people also would've needed to buy it in order to reach the same result, and I'm not sure that would've happened. Way too many people who play games on their phones are just categorically against spending money on them upfront.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      wunderbar wrote: »

And this right here is the problem with mobile gaming. Because, frankly, that game is worth way more than the $2-3. There are plenty of console games that cost more and have less content/replayability than this $10 mobile game. Mario Run was $13 in Canada and I bought it immediately, and have played it every day since, and it's been well worth it.

Personally, I think what they should have done was charged maybe $2 per world instead of one chunk of $10.

The game is absolutely worth the price, but people have this thing that games on a phone should be free forever and that annoys me.

My wife and I both bought Mario Run after playing the first few levels since we felt that not having any ads in a game where you can just play a Mario type game was worth it. Not to mention the "buy toads/coins/etc." for money not being in this game helps me enjoy playing it more than I should.

But yeah, I agree that Nintendo could have just had it also where you could buy chunks of it for cheaper (and perhaps more overall) to snag those people who only want to spend a few bucks here and there rather than all at once.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
    • Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      I miss the old days of mobile games when you had stuff like Rolando. Games that embraced simplistic controls without feeling limited by them. And of course before game pricing went all stupid.

• Options
      urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
      SniperGuy wrote: »

I think there are tons of mobile games that don't follow this format that make money.

Of course, the gambling ones make shitloads of money. But that doesn't mean a normal priced game can't do well. Mario Run was very expensive for 10 bucks and didn't grab me at all from the bits I played. A lot of people were lukewarm on it.

Nintendo's mobile efforts have been kinda weird. Miitomo was certainly a strange one. I hope that Animal Crossing game on mobile is great though because that's the perfect format for Animal Crossing.

I'm so scared of Animal Crossing on mobile... I really hope there's no form of gacha in the game... Or at least light.

This discussion has been closed.