As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2] Your deepest darkest secrets! OPEN SPOILERS

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
edited May 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Warning, this thread has open spoilers. Do not read this if you don't want want to know what's in the movie. Rocket will be an unhappy camper.

Last warning.

Second last warning. Turn back while you can!

You may have heard about this movie, GOTG VOl.2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cv2ueYnKjg

Here is my review.

This was an excellent movie. I had high expectations going in, since I loved the original - flaws and all. The plot was thin, yet these movies don't require complex plots so I wasn't put off by that, they shine on characterization and world building. I think this is a movie whew you don't need to see the first to understand what's going on, either. They explained who was what, without getting into the nitty gritty details - you don't need to know, and what they do nee to know is explored through dialogue and characterization. Flows very naturally from scene to scene.

This movie moves further toward the comedy spectrum than the previous, at times leaning too much on that. This turned everything up to 11, the credit scene (this seems to be the only movie franchise in the MCU which has actual credits in the front of the movie) is a hilarious update on Peter's opening dancing scene. The group are hired by Ayesha to protect their plot device from an extra dimensional monster (you see the large monstrosity where Drax jumps into the mouth of), while baby Groot dances to music ignoring the huge fight scene going on behind him. The scene is strictly focused on him, too. Which adds to the humorous angle. After a really tough battle Rocket steals several batteries from this cosmic plot device. Because he's Rocket and he'll steal what he wants!

Ayesha's people get wind of this, and try to destroy the Guardians through the movie. She really, really want them dead. Ayesha is a marvel to watch, full on super-villain silliness on full display. When he remote controlled drones fail she hires the Ravagers, who kick in a sub-plot for Y-ondu - exploring his past, tearing down what authority he had with the Ravagers and intent on restoring his honor. Y-ondu is a massive part in this movie, vastly more intense than before and the performance is breath taking. You feel for his predicament, and want him to succeed. The guy gets put through the ringer the whole movie, everyone shits on him. Some of which end up being logical reasons.

Gamorra and Nebula are written with meatier material. Their relationship and history as Thanos play things are explored fully, when the circumstances behind Nebula's life are in the spotlight she is very sympathetic and tragic. They're able to overcome their differences, though this is not easily done - they have lots of stuff to work out. Some of which are with swords, spaceship guns and fists.

Gamorra becomes slightly less of a mother figure here, she becomes the "brain" of the team and has a harder edge.

Peter is Peter. While he's the star, he doesn't really grow that much. There's this sub-plot where he tries to figure out whether he and Gamorra truly "like" each other, it almost gets there. However, about midway point then Peter tries to tell her that there is romantic tension between them (it's clear there is) he becomes an entitled jerk who ignores her protests that it is not the case. He goes overboard with this in to an uncomfortable degree, rather than listening to her opinion and backing off when she says no. This gets dropped for most of the movie and in the final act the two seem to "naturally" be a couple, except it isn't smooth since we don't get the middle section where they iron out where they stand and their feelings. It's just - over. They're a couple now.

Ego is fantastic. The character in the comics never appealed to me, here he comes off as grounded and they try to develop what he is to a more realistic explanation (soft sci-fi ala Trek) and make him "human." He's a complex character, with layers of motivations - and underneath it all he's a cosmic narcissist obsessed with destroying all life and replacing them with...himself. Literally. Kurt Russell is brilliant in this role. Can't say enough. The prologue has him on Earth as young Kurt dating Peter's mother being hippies. The tech for de-aging has made the leap a step further, you'd think it exactly was young Kurt Russell!

They do overdo the music with a few scenes, we get it guys - the soundtrack was a thing with the last movie. But cut it down, it was distracting when it occurred every so often for scene that didn't need it.

Marvel did it again. Can't wait for Thor: Ragnarok and Spider-man: Homecoming.

I'm intrigued by what the forum will think about the movie in the coming days.

So It Goes on

• Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    While we clearly needed some kind of antagonistic force for the film, I felt that the amount of time we spent with the Guardians bickering on Ego's planet was a little bit overdone. I loved the Yondu and Rocket plotline and I spent the back end of the film wondering how hard it would be to make a Ravagers coat and cosplay as Yondu.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I thought it was really good without quite being great. Got very close to slapstick at times (like the multiple space jump scene with the distorted faces) but they made it work.

The David Hasselhof cameo took me completely by surprise and was amazing.

I don't think it was quite as good as the first one, but glad Gamora and Nebula got some more development. I expect that Nebula will follow Thanos to Earth in one of the Avengers: Infinity movies looking for her revenge, and then Gamora will bring the rest of the Guardians in to save her.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Nebula's confirmed for Infinite War IIRC. Though her status quo post-GOTG being against Thanos means her role in the story is less predictable. I love this new anti-hero Nebula, rewatched the movie today and Gillan's performance was hella intense.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Did other places get this before may 5th??? His are you guys seeing this movie?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Smrtnik wrote: »

It was released in Tokyo on April 10, Australia got it on the the 25th, and it'll arrive in the UK on the 28th.

edit: Marvel usually releases their movies overseas before America.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Ben Browder is Ayesha's second! I thought I recognized that guy.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

While I didn't do it this year, in previous years I've taken my vacation in early May in small part because I could get to see Marvel movies a little sooner.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Oh weird, ok. See you all in a couple of weeks then i guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It's a shame that he didn't have a bigger role. If the Marvel movie boom had happened a decade earlier Browder would have made a great Starlord, Chricton and Starlord basically had the exact same fashion sense.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

It's a shame that he didn't have a bigger role. If the Marvel movie boom had happened a decade earlier Browder would have made a great Starlord, Chricton and Starlord basically had the exact same fashion sense.

Dude, they are basically the same character. Different backstory maybe, but same character.

Shit GotG is heavly inspired by Farscape:

The Earthling dropping pop-culture references all the time, the Warrior chick that Earthling has the hots for, the Warrior guy that has lost his family and an animatronic creature that insults everybody all the time while secretly having a heart of gold. Crichton, Aeryn, Dargo and Rygel meet Peter, Gamorra, Drax, and Rocket.

The only original character is Groot. Oh, and Chiana.

Not that this is a bad thing, we are never getting any more Farscape and its nice that somebody is carrying the torch forward.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Dude, they are basically the same character. Different backstory maybe, but same character.

Shit GotG is heavly inspired by Farscape:

The Earthling dropping pop-culture references all the time, the Warrior chick that Earthling has the hots for, the Warrior guy that has lost his family and an animatronic creature that insults everybody all the time while secretly having a heart of gold. Crichton, Aeryn, Dargo and Rygel meet Peter, Gamorra, Drax, and Rocket.

The only original character is Groot. Oh, and Chiana.

Not that this is a bad thing, we are never getting any more Farscape and its nice that somebody is carrying the torch forward.

I don't know, plant-person who is secretly much more than they let on? Groot=Zahn with only moderately more distance than Rocket and Rigel.

Hevach on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    DAMN ME if that wasn't better than the first one. It sure felt that way. Many jokes hitting well, better villain, still plenty of characters, great visuals, lovely music choices.

The reviewers complaining that it was just the same movie or the same type of movie again or whatever are just lacking for material, or want to avoid doing the same review all over again.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD I HAVE FEELINGS

This movie was amazing. I totally did not expect to be absolutely fucking bawling by the end.

My feels :'(

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Any hint of the Soul Infinity Gem? or does it skip out on any meta development?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Any hint of the Soul Infinity Gem? or does it skip out on any meta development?

No Infinite Stone, it'll likely be in Thor Ragnarok.

• Options
    Kind of, I think we can be pretty sure that Adam Warlock will have it in Guardians 3.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    A contender for laugh of the year for me:
    I'M

MARY

POPPINS

Y'ALL

Top movie. If this is "by the numbers" then just bring me more. It might be comfort food that isn't going to expand my horizons, but since it's a movie it won't make me fat.

Absalon on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Oh, pretty sure I spotted Jeff Goldblum dancing in full Grandmaster getup during the credits, will keep more of an eye out when I go rewatch it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Someone just told me that the random other ravagers at the end were actually some of the original Guardians? That's pretty neat. I only started reading the comics with the Abnett run, so it's always been sorta this cast for me.

• Options
    Kind of, I think we can be pretty sure that Adam Warlock will have it in Guardians 3.

I don't know, isn't the new Avengers movie in production at the moment?

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Just got back from it, I'm not a fan of the first movie (I thought it was pretty boring apart from a few good bits) but this was excellent. The new characters are great, the music and comedy was completely in your face and too much but it didn't matter because that was what it was all about. Pure entertainment with a heart. Taser face, Groot bringing back all the wrong stuff, Draxx being revolted by Mantis - but also Peter finding out his dad killed his mum, Yondu's loyal men being spaced one by one, trillions dying over the galaxy as the celestial goo expanded. There was a lot there. Def a must see.

• Options

Yes, and there was a (rumor? Confirmed?) Thing about a casting call for Magus, Warlock's villain alter-ego. Assuming that his origin and transition from Magus to Warlock is covered by Infinity War and whatever they call part 2, he'd get to spend a couple phases kicking around.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

Yes, and there was a (rumor? Confirmed?) Thing about a casting call for Magus, Warlock's villain alter-ego. Assuming that his origin and transition from Magus to Warlock is covered by Infinity War and whatever they call part 2, he'd get to spend a couple phases kicking around.

The Infinite Wars movies are going to be more insane than I expected, and I read Infinite Gauntlets so I know it's meant to be bonkers.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

The Infinite Wars movies are going to be more insane than I expected, and I read Infinite Gauntlets so I know it's meant to be bonkers.

I still want Disney to just say fuckit and spend like a billion dollars on it. Fuck profit for just this once because this is the happy ending to a ten year lap dance.

It would destroy Warner Brothers when they try to copycat for Justice League. Whether that's a bonus or just an acceptable sacrifice I leave as an exercise for the reader.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I liked the movie but thought it wasn't as good as the first and lacked a certain something.
    also the middle bit where it's one expositional background scene after another really jerked me out of it.

I worry for the infinity war movies, as adam merely gets name dropped here.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That was fantastic. I am having troubles coming up with a title for the non spoiler MCU thread.

Yondu was the obvious MVP, but there was some really great moments for Rocket and Gamora this go around too. Made em more complete characters. Even Drax had those lil moments of looking at Mantis like a daughter, appreciating the joy she felt at seeing the fireworks, and calling her beautiful for it. (On the inside)

I'd actually say Peter is the one that grew the least, funnily enough.

The cynical part of me wonders if Yondu was killed off for power creep reasons. Gotta figure Infinity War will involve a Chitauri army to throw at the good guys so they get their cool action moments before being crushed by Thanos, and dat yaka arrow would make short work of em...

The Sovereign were fun, how petty and ugly they were, due to their perfection. And Adam! Aaa!

The cameo from the original Guardians was cute. I wonder if they'll ever show up again? Also I guess Stan Lee's cameos have all been a consistent character. Amazing.

Music was good, visuals were amazing for the most part, thought there were a few dodgy moments towards the end, Gamora and Nebula on the rising pillar jumped out as false, and a few shots of characters using the jetpacks were weird. But all the establishing shots of the planets were gorgeous, as was the colour. SO MUCH COLOUR, AAAAA

GUD MOVIE <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Just returning from a marathon, 2 AM here, so not going to post much. Overal enjoyed, went a bit overboard with the comedy at some points. Ego had some good development as a character and happy to see Nebula and Yondu fleshed out a bit more.
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Someone just told me that the random other ravagers at the end were actually some of the original Guardians? That's pretty neat. I only started reading the comics with the Abnett run, so it's always been sorta this cast for me.

Stalone was Starhawk, the diamond-looking guy next to him was Martinex. Yondu was also one of the original Guardians. The rest didn't ring a bell (I guess the big guy was Charlie-27 (though he looked like just a big regular human, while Charlie is supposed to be very big, but also very wide, like somebody squashed an ever bigger person), but the rest didn't look like Vance or Nikki.) Missed opportunity to turn Stallone into a woman at random points though.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Possibly the best Stan Lee cameo so far?

Also I loved Starlord's mind being blown at the Zune.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Any film that plays Parliament's Flashlight in the end credits is worthy of high praise.

• Options
    You know... I think I might go watch this again on Monday.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I liked it quite a bit.

Stallone did nothing for me while Sean Gunn was as awesome as expected.

• Options
    I hope that for Guardians 3 we get Sean Gunn's character as Cosmo's deputy sheriff in KnowWhere.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    This gets dropped for most of the movie and in the final act the two seem to "naturally" be a couple, except it isn't smooth since we don't get the middle section where they iron out where they stand and their feelings. It's just - over. They're a couple now.

Wait, I watched this yesterday, and I didn't get that impression at all!
    They hugged, but that's all and not in a couple way. What gave you the impression that they are a couple?

causality.png
  • Options
    Gokerz wrote: »
    This gets dropped for most of the movie and in the final act the two seem to "naturally" be a couple, except it isn't smooth since we don't get the middle section where they iron out where they stand and their feelings. It's just - over. They're a couple now.

They hugged, but that's all and not in a couple way. What gave you the impression that they are a couple?

I definitely got the couple vibe form them at the end, they had an implied conversation about "untold feelings" from Gamorra and they were hugging like couples do in the epilogue. Contrast them to Mantis and Drax in the scene.

• Options

I definitely got the couple vibe form them at the end, they had an implied conversation about "untold feelings" from Gamorra and they were hugging like couples do in the epilogue. Contrast them to Mantis and Drax in the scene.

Friends hug, you know. It's a thing! Sometimes friends even develop feelings for one another. Human relationships are way more complex and wonderful than categories like friends, dating, married would have you believe.

• Options

Friends hug, you know. It's a thing! Sometimes friends even develop feelings for one another. Human relationships are way more complex and wonderful than categories like friends, dating, married would have you believe.

True, but if you're right they were too far into ambiguity for my taste. Either they are a couple, or on their way to that destination - that's how I viewed that conclusion.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    They didn't leave room for Space Jesus, ergo, they're a couple.

• Options

True, but if you're right they were too far into ambiguity for my taste. Either they are a couple, or on their way to that destination - that's how I viewed that conclusion.

Matter of interpretation I guess. And of preference - I like my fictional relationships to be as ambiguous and chaotic as they can be in real-life. All the common fare has been thoroughly exhausted by all sorts of media for centuries already.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular

I didn't get that vibe, and that hug didn't look couple'y to me. More like a 'despite the shit we said to each other last time, we are still friends/family' hug.
    I think the best thing about this for me was that when Quill had that speech about how the things we want are sometimes directly in front of us, they didn't go for the cliché that Gamora realizes she wants him, but had her look at Nebula. I'm pretty happy about Quill and Gamora still just being friends at the end of the movie.

causality.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Possibly the best Stan Lee cameo so far?

Also I loved Starlord's mind being blown at the Zune.

300 songs !

So, with the Zune being what - late 80s ? I assume vol. 3 will have an 80s soundtrack ?

Also, loved the film, lots of laughing and crying.

The opening scene was just amazing, I think I'll go see this again this week, as I need a second viewing in the cinema.